[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any good books on learning the basics of baking? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6
File: bread-dough-600x420.jpg (52 KB, 600x420) Image search: [Google]
bread-dough-600x420.jpg
52 KB, 600x420
Are there any good books on learning the basics of baking? I can follow a recipe and all that trash but I want to get to the point where I can make my own cake or bread or pastry dough/batter recipes while knowing what every ingredient i.e. the flour or the baking powder, does.
>>
just bake more, and don't be afraid to fuck up. experience is the best way to learn.
>>
For what you are describing, I reccomend On Baking. It is a textbook and it explains everything. If you are serious about baking and want the most consistent results, buy a food scale. Get one that interchanges from metric and imperial units.
>>
I bake sourdough bread constantly. it is dead easy.
>>
>>7585811
that's a pretty good story, but it doesn't have much to do with this thread
>>
File: 1458524178287.png (772 KB, 880x364) Image search: [Google]
1458524178287.png
772 KB, 880x364
>>7585730
Beard on Bread by James Beard, taught me everything i know
>>
>>7585834
So you know a lot of extremely out of date misinformation?
>>
>>7585730

"The Bread Bible" for bread.

"On Food and Cooking" is good for science.
>>
File: 1457819382027.jpg (89 KB, 650x1053) Image search: [Google]
1457819382027.jpg
89 KB, 650x1053
>>7585734
>just fuck up a bunch
top kek

>>7585794
>buy a textbook
kek

>>7585851
>out of date mis-information
that has been in print for over 40 years, pleb. also:
>best banana bread recipe you will ever have

>>7585893
>the bread bible
>poorly written and repetitive work containing many errors.

>The book contains many errors. The deal breaker for me was her rye bread, which tells you to add things that aren't there. Not only that, but all of the recipes show a dough composition for convenience, and many of these have been computed incorrectly. Sloppy and obnoxious.

>Too much filler. Many of the recipes are actually the same recipe over and over, with the same process. Why would she print the same recipe 20 times in a row when she could just print it once, and then list all the others out as variations? I got sick and tired of reading identical paragraphs that have been LITERALLY copy/pasted throughout the book.

"For ultimate flavor..."
"For ultimate flavor..."
"For ultimate flavor..."
>>
Basics?

Don't be a pleb. Jump right into our boi Bruno's youtube channel and start baking proper shit.

Literally the best bread recipes you'll find anywhere
>>
File: images.jpg (75 KB, 657x720) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
75 KB, 657x720
>>7585730

Peter Reinhart's books are excellent.

"The Bread Baker's Apprentice" is how I learned to bake bread.
>>
>>7586369
Came here to say this.
>>
>>7586369
Seconding
>>
>>7586085
Linky? Or more description so I can actually find?

Google "our boi bruno" only returned fag ass shit.
>>
>>7585950
>shits on every suggestion
>offers none of his own

okay
>>
>>7585730
Ratio is good.
>>
>>7585730
Baking's a science, so you can't just throw things together after getting an understanding of principles, unless you mean bread, think you could if you got experienced. Can't just throw a cake together without measuring; just ends up wrong somehow.
>>
File: 1452673889068.jpg (83 KB, 574x413) Image search: [Google]
1452673889068.jpg
83 KB, 574x413
>>7586435
>can't into reading comprehension
>>
>>7586369
THIS.

The introduction concerning the main ingredients, mix method, and especially the 10-Stage process is great.

He also makes understanding Baker Ratios and Flour Recipe Percentages easy.
>>
File: Loff_loff_bread.jpg (54 KB, 920x535) Image search: [Google]
Loff_loff_bread.jpg
54 KB, 920x535
>Bake first bread
>Its shit, but you see that you did some of the kneading right
>Save the end result by cutting and baking it into croutons

>Bake 2nd bread
>Turns out recipe is shit, so bread is 10x sticker than it needs to be
>Knead for 10 minutes, turns out kneading for 15 was needed with my shit kneading technique
>40% of the bread turned into dough without bubbles

So lessons learned:
1. Weight > Volume
Buy a cheap digital weight, or dig if you find one

2. Its suppose to stick to everything, like a bitch
Don't add more flour to fix that, just knead more

3. If there is bubbles in the finished product, it means you did something right
>>
>>7585730
I got good asf over a summer busting breads out every couple days. Just keep practicing, follow new recipes/techniques then expirement with them.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.