[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: We post one thing our parents made that can't be beat.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7
File: potroast.jpg (655 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
potroast.jpg
655 KB, 1632x1224
ITT: We post one thing our parents made that can't be beat.

>Just How Mamma used to Make It
>>
my sister

that was it unfortunately for me
>>
>>7585127
>>
>>7585127
Story of my life/thread
>>
>>7585127
Sweet fancy moses
>>
File: 1393789194950.jpg (11 KB, 277x329) Image search: [Google]
1393789194950.jpg
11 KB, 277x329
>>7585127
>>
File: HugTheFuckOut.png (92 KB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
HugTheFuckOut.png
92 KB, 300x169
>>7585127
Oh lawd /thread
>>
>>7585125
Mom's family really slav we have some bastardized version of potato haluski that is great. My grandmother's beef stew, and the family sauerkraut balls haven't been challenged by anything I've had before or since. Other sides kolache and potato/ham soup up there too.
>>
Pretty much everything that requires large kitchen appliances I don't have. As fart as cooking skills go, mine are vastly superior thanks to not making the same 20 things for 40 years.
>>
>>7585307
I worded that weird, one side is slav af and the other straight german (the grandma).
>>
Chicken pot pie.

My mother is an excellent baker but a lousy cook; however, there are maybe three things she makes that are really on-point.
>>
File: download (5).jpg (10 KB, 262x192) Image search: [Google]
download (5).jpg
10 KB, 262x192
>>7585125
My grandma is from the netherlands and makes gehaktballen (meatballs) so perfectly. When I got older she gave me the recipe. She adds diced boiled potatoes to the meatballs too. She just said it was the way her mom taught her.

She'd usually serve them with pickled beets or pickled red cabbage. The pickled beet with every bite of meatball adds such a perfect balance of sweet and savory. It is the best thing on the planet.
>>
>>7585319
She's pretty good at sucking cock too
>>
>>7585125

Instant mashed potatoes. Just like mom used to heat up.
>>
>>7585323
>>>/b/
>>
>>7585323
The guys at the truck stop say your dad isn't bad either.
>>
>>7585320
...and you soak the breadcrumbs in milk before mixing/forming right? RIGHT?

recipe tho plz respond
>>
>>7585365
Some people do that, but my grandma actually does not, she splashed milk on the entire mixture of meat. And the meatball still turns out incredibly tender. Downside is, the specific type of nutmeg my grandma uses, I have not found anywhere in the united states. Her sister sends us the mix so we do not run out. You can substitute it with a nutmeg/clove mixture, but unless a specific kind of nutmeg is used, it will taste slightly off.

Unfortunately, my grandma does not measure shit. But I have made it with her enough times to know how it tastes like. She does everything to taste.

1/2 pound of lean ground beef, 1/2 pound of lean ground pork
1-2 eggs
1/4 cup breadcrumbs seasoned with nutmeg mix
Splash of milk
Salt and pepper to taste

Optional: 1 large potato, skinned, boiled, then diced

Mix the ground beef, breadcrumb mixture, and salt and pepper (easier to do with hands). Add one egg and a splash of milk, mix thoroughly. Try to form a ball, if it has lots of cracks in it, add one more egg and mix.

After the meat is well mixed, now is the time to add the diced potato. Be gentle, or the potatoes may mash.

Start rolling balls. About 2 inch diameter.

Heat a large skillet with a splash of olive oil and a pat of butter. Drop in your balls, slightly pressing the middle to make a flat surface. Cook on medium low until bottoms are deep brown and have a crisp. Take two spoons and start gently flipping each meatball. Cook on that side until deep brown. We usually sacrifice one ball to see how done it is.

Cooking on too high of a heat will burn and unevenly cook your meatball, to low, and it will eventually fall apart.
>>
>>7585438
thank you kind sir.
>>
me nans chikn n dumplins
>>
>>7585127
first post best post
>>
File: 1361153160392.jpg (4 KB, 190x159) Image search: [Google]
1361153160392.jpg
4 KB, 190x159
I can't for the life of me make bread the way my mom did. There's always something off with the dough the crust is never just right.
>>
>>7585125

Fucking hell, I loved my moms pot roast but she hasn't made since beef prices went up late 2009.
>>
>>7585125
bondiola braseada
motherfucker made the most delicious thing i ever ate. He always claimed he could make better food than most restaurants and yeah his paella was good but i dont picture any place spending as much money on zafron as he does so thats cheating
>>
>>7585320
Damn me too! I gotta dig her up and see if she took the recipe with her.
>>
>>7586187
if your making it in the oven. put the bread in and throw a cup of water in the bottom of the oven it will steam the out side and raise the humidity of the oven making a better crust.
>>
>>7585309
But surely those 20 things could have been perfected over the course of 40 years
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.