[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"Bleu" cheese
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 4
Why do people use this spelling? is it just to make the Maytag Blue in their dipping sauce seem fancy, or is there a genuine misconception that this is correct?
>>
>>7584140
>Why do people use this spelling?

Because they're idiots who are trying to be pretentious and failing badly at it.

Or they're French.
>>
File: 0006.png (25 KB, 324x166) Image search: [Google]
0006.png
25 KB, 324x166
>>7584142
Fromage à pâte persillée
>>
>>7584165
Bleu de Gex
>>
>>7584140
I guess some Americans associated blue cheese with being French, like Roquefort or whatever. In the UK the most famous ones are probably Stilton and Danish Blue.
>>
american branding at work motherfuckers. someone noticed the effectiveness of that masterstroke that was calling the imitation cream in shitty baked goods 'creme', and they decided to apply it to blue cheese as well. it goes back to at least the 1940s. ogden nash took the piss out of americans for calling it 'bleu cheese' in 1957 for fuck's sake.
>>
presumably Americans who think blue cheese is something exclusive to France.
>>
>>7584215
Blue cheese didn't even originate in France.
Americans are dumb.
>>
I've been called an idiot here before for calling it blue.
>>
>>7584140
Could you find a subject that is not so contentious? The spelling is so important to our culture. A new stupid low for /ck/.
>>
>>7584140
>cave ripened

is this a meme?
>>
>>7584140
They're the same people who pronounce Paris (par-ee) but don't pronounce Mumbai in an Indian accent because that would be raaaciiist
>>
>>7584224
and fire is hot
>>
>>7584442
Mumbai is phonetically correct though, whereas Paris isn't. But good job announcing that people call you racist a lot.

Why are white racists so sensitive about being called what they are?
>>
>>7584451
no one has called me racist
>>
>>7584451

>only white people can be racist
>>
>>7584140
Because they don't speak French and think it's just a fancy spelling.

Sample conversation with a waitress:
"Yuh, I'll have a vyne blonk with muh well done steak, and I guess a side a bake taytas, and make it snappy garsoon or I'll talk to the manager."

They're the same people who think saying "pardon" is elegant.
>>
>>7584459
I know for a fact that they have, otherwise you wouldn't be pre-emptively butthurt over it
>>7584473
Never said that. For example I'm a Korean and whites are ugly, smelly, and low achieving.
>>
>>7584484
pardon as in pardon moi or pardon me

because as an American I do say the latter...
>>
>>7584441

no

it's a traditional method of atmospheric control
>>
>>7584261
Stillanidiot
>>
>>7585113
Pardon as in pardon. Too many French words is like too much bling.
>>
>>7585113
'pardonnez-moi'
>>
File: bleu cheese.jpg (36 KB, 300x357) Image search: [Google]
bleu cheese.jpg
36 KB, 300x357
>>7584140
Because that's what it's usually labeled and marketed as? Who gives a fuck when everyone knows what you're talking about anyway?
>>
>>7584500
Nobody gives a fuck about Koreans or their opinions, so just give us that snail mucus face cream and STFU.
>>
>>7586570
It's EXTREMELY common and has been for hundreds of years to say "Pardon" in the southern US. But then again, most Southerners are more polite and have better manners than elsewhere in the US, bless your heart.
>>
Because that's how I've always seen it spelled until I worked in a Chuck E Cheese that was run by retards
>>
>>7584140
it's because American education is the worst in the world. They also have immense problems with the difference between "ie" and "ei".

Here in Europe we can actually expect people to spell foreign languages correctly.
>>
>>7584484
Considering the alternative is usually "what?," "pardon?" is definitely much more polite.

It's not used as a French word. It was adopted by Middle English, and has had its own evolution in English since then. "Bleu" is another situation entirely.
>>
What does blue cheese taste like? Never tried.
>>
>>7586769
Other things that are "polite":
V-neck sweaters
Symmetrical tie knots
Doilies
Leaning over the fence to ask your neighbour about their mother's health
Black suits

If you want to be less blunt, say "What was that?" or "Sorry, what?"

>>7586864
Sour-salty like pickles, but with a milky backdrop.
It varies.
>>
>>7586753
>muh europe

Go back to being overrun by sandniggers.
>>
>>7586916
or just something like excuse me I missed that
>>
>>7586916
Using the word "what" in that context is crass and shows a lack of refinement. If you say you don't care about something like that, then you've been poorly raised and government educated, and don't feel the need to improve yourself further.
>>
>>7587020
Kind of like having a unpolished car, or wearing a tatty hand-me-down pair of shoes?
>>
>>7587047
Yes, and no.
The way you speak to people is much more important than those things, however, you wouldn't want to show up to a job interview in tatty shoes, and you wouldn't pull into a formal event in an unpolished car. Context is the important thing here.
>>
>>7587047

'pardon' implies that you are sorry you didn't hear something. 'what' is a demand to reiterate it. semantically there is a difference in the level of politeness.
>>
>>7586688
>wanting snail goo face cream
>>
>>7587020

Interestingly, in the UK 'what' is used by the upper class, and 'pardon' is considered an amusingly middle class sort of thing to say because it seems like you're trying terribly hard to be fancy and polite and coming across as a bit silly. I don't know if that's where the difference in opinion is coming from ITT.
>>
>>7586864
Depends on the kind you get.
From my experience they can range from candy sweet and fruity, to smooth and rich with a peculiar taste with a unique taste.
>>
>>7584140
Maytag blue is a solid, unique blue. I don't know why you are using it as an example.
>>
>>7587251

...I don't think that's true at all
>>
>>7587251
What a load of bollocks. Upper class people don't say "what"
>>
>>7587360

I just don't think it's particularly about class. It's a polite affectation. You're either apologising for having failed to hear something or you're bluntly asking for it to be repeated. This is why you're taught to say it as kids. It's not 'posh', it's polite. It just so happens that posh people often have to be more polite.
>>
File: Aldo Raine.jpg (10 KB, 200x271) Image search: [Google]
Aldo Raine.jpg
10 KB, 200x271
Doesn't fucking matter to me. Grew up spelling it that way, only anonymous little girls question it on the internet. Don't give a fuck. It's Bleu Cheese.
>>
>>7587384

This.

It's not about being pretentious or anything, it's just the way it's almost always been spelled.
>>
>>7587430
>almost always

No
>>
>>7587384
>>7587430
You think it's normal because you buy cheese at Walmart
>>
>>7584500
Go pickle yourself
>>
>>7587359
>>7587360

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U_and_non-U_English
>http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-417576.html
>http://www.lady.co.uk/people/8352-pardon-that-s-practically-a-swear-word
>>
>>7587462

I think it's normal because I'm in my 30's, grew up eating out 4-5 nights a week, and always saw it written that way on restaurant menus.
>>
>>7587478

Wal-mart tier restaurants. Close enough.
>>
>>7587484

Keep telling yourself that, kiddo.
>>
It's pretty hilarious that Americans write, "bleu cheese" and would never actually pronounce "bleu" properly.

Why not bleu fromage? Blue fromage?
>>
>>7587501

Yes, both language and food are funny that way.
>>
>>7587492
I will, thank you.

Any restaurant worth a shit is not going to print "bleu cheese" or "blue cheese" on the menu; they're going to specify the cheese by its proper name: Gorgonzola, Stilton, Roquefort, etc.
>>
>>7587505

Maybe in the past 5 years, where it's become a trend to know where your food is coming from and to write out the sources of everything on the menu and exactly what it is.

20 years ago things were different.
>>
>>7587513
I was born in 1973 and we ate "Stilton" and "gorgonzola", never " bleu".

I only started seeing the "bleu" thing when we went on a road trip and ate at some really sketchy places in the middle of nowhere.
>>
>>7587524
lol fag
>>
>>7587492
"Ahll have a bluh cheese and a quorda rye, li'l lady"
>>
>>7587533
Go print out my post and shoot it with your gun, you'll feel empowered and relevant before long. Anti-american commies like me, who betray our values by knowing words, should all be sent back to Russia, amirite?
>>
>>7587513
>20 years ago things were different.
Back when cheese was cheese and overseas was overseas.
>>
>>7587547

As annoying as it is, everything needing to be locally sourced, organic, whatever, has done a lot for food. It doesn't mean that nice places didn't use nice ingredients in the past, they just didn't label everything like they do now.

I know you can't remember this far back, but there were airplanes capable of crossing the largest oceans on the planet way back 20 years ago.
>>
>>7587546
lol fag
>>
>>7587563
I'm sure that was the case in the American midwest, where cheese is always cheese, and overseas is always overseas.
>>
>>7587551
I'm two years older. I prefer people your age depart and people my age stick around.
>>
>>7586916
"Pardon?" is fine you fucking autist.

Unless you're trying to pronounce it like the French, in which case you're gayer than "paree".
>>
>>7587608
Nothing needs sorting, little guy. I have a home, a family and a career. Things are pretty much set. Take my advice and go away.
>>
>>7587608
>sort your life out.

coming from someone on 4chan? that's good, anon.
>>
>>7587624

>my board
>cucks

Shitposting in fast food threads for 3 months doesn't make it "your board".
>>
>>7587638

>reddit reference

Just further proof you're not from here.
>>
>>7587475

i think all that's probably partially apocryphal, though. certainly comfortably upper class people have less cause to *show* their class but they still almost certainly say 'pardon' in circumstances which call for it.
>>
>>7587645
And who's to say there isn't a place for a powder bleu polyester tuxedo in their wardrobes, either?
>>
>>7587645

It really is how upper class Brits speak, pardon is considered a bit of a comedy Hyacinth Bucket word. Though if you're feeling troubled because your dear old nana taught you to say pardon because she prided herself on how you were 'ever so well-spoken!' and didn't sound 'common', be assured that it's still considered polite by the vast majority of the UK. Saying 'what' only really works if you've got a suitably aristocratic drawl, it doesn't sound quite as polite if you're from Burnley.
>>
>>7587956

>It really is how upper class Brits speak, pardon is considered a bit of a comedy Hyacinth Bucket word

idk i'm just not prepared to accept that the semantic distinction is completely superficially related to class.
>>
>>7587217
>Not wanting snail goo face cream
>>
>>7587956
Well, there's also many differences between British and American English in any case. What is considered polite to you may not be polite here and vice versa. We speak the same language, but very differently. Like I said in an earlier post, "pardon" is considered polite and used by nearly every southerner here, and really comes from Middle English, we're as in other parts of the country, more people say "excuse me", and in some places "what" is fine. It's not so much a class distinction as a regional distinction, but if you're from say, the south, and you say "what" instead of "pardon", people will think you were raised with no manners, where as they would excuse that from someone from another part of the country.
>>
The worst is when Americans say, "huh". I wince when I recollect times that I encountered this and had to stare at the hung jaw and cow-like eyes of the perpetrator making this obscene utterance. It is the distillation of total ignorance.
>>
>>7588244
As an American, I completely agree. It's one of those things that automatically makes me dismiss a person. Not as bad, but gives me the same feeling, is when people add "one" or "ones" onto their pronouns or adjectives. For example, yesterday my cashier at the grocery store used "these ones" in reference to my radishes. It makes me cringe.
>>
>>7588270
>ot as bad, but gives me the same feeling, is when people add "one" or "ones" onto their pronouns or adjectives. For example, yesterday my cashier at the grocery store used "these ones" in reference to my radishes. It makes me cringe.
I'm definitely guilty of this.
>>
>>7588270
Were they the normal radishes or the piquant variety?
>>
>>7588244

>it is the distillation of total ignorance

Usually it just means that you were mumbling like the autist you are and they didn't catch what you said.
>>
>>7584140
Much like "chocolatey", it's a way around certain things.

"Bleu" cheese, especially as dips or dressings is a way of showing that blue cheese is not the primary ingredient... or even really present.
>>
>>7589561
Buh? Suh?

...Bleu?
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.