[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I eat relatively healthy for maximum cheap if I don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 184
Thread images: 19
File: vre_buy3.jpg (66 KB, 450x629) Image search: [Google]
vre_buy3.jpg
66 KB, 450x629
How do I eat relatively healthy for maximum cheap if I don't have any food utensils? Like no stove, oven, fridge and stuff like that, just an empty apartment.
I thought about getting a Georg Foreman grill to grill some meat and vegetables once in a while and primarily eat cold diy soylent. What else should I consider? A cooking plate?
I don't really care that much about taste, I just eat to not die.
>>
>>7583672
vinegar, , oil,salt+pepper spices?, peanut butter, vegetables and fruit, bulk nuts and canned beans/vegetables/meat.. Ive seen places sell big loaves of italian bread for like a dollar. It depends on whether your going for quality or sustenance. Could honestly live well off a couple loaves of that bread plus some oils or peanut butter while eating a veggie every once in awhile.
Also, microwave is much more versatile than a lil grill.
>>
>>7583699
I never thought of buying canned food. Is it really that much cheaper than buying frozen or fresh? When buying canned food I think of low quality products drenched in disgusting sauce.
Also, I don't really like microwaved food. I know I said I don't care about taste, but even I have standards. I just use it to heat up already cooked food and it usually just gets too watery. A small oven sounds better than a microwave.
>>
>>7583672
this fails to remember cooking prices and time.

Kfc tastes like shit though.
>>
>>7583672
I lived on cold oatmeal with peanut butter & milk for a while. You can add fruits once in a while to pretend you care about vitamins if you want
>>
>>7583672
chicken breast for 1.96
wtf where does this take place
>>
>>7583739
I also want to know where any of that stuff is that cheap
>>
>>7583712
There are certain canned products which can be superior than fresh in a cooking context depending on the time of year. Buying canned vegetables will generally have superior quality if that vegetable is out of season. A good example of this is tinned tomatoes having much more flavour than supermarket fresh tomatoes, since supermarket tomatoes are picked INCREDIBLY early and not allowed to ripen properly, while canned tomatoes are generally grown in beautiful Italia and canned the moment they are perfectly ripe on the vine.
>>
>>7583713
Also a gallon of milk is about $3.69 here for the store branded ones. If it's name brand it's about $4.29 or so. I figure if the milk price is that far off in the photo, it would be okay to assume a lot of the other prices are off as well. No way in hell I would ever buy a KFC bucket meal though or any fast food family type thing. The kids enjoy helping with the cooking and I wouldn't take that away from them and feed them that gross stuff. I would eat it by myself though while working.
>>
that thing is really off. peaches are 2 for $3 where i live
>>
>>7583672
I could buy neither group of products for neither sum of money. And that's in the hypothetical universe in which I first possessed the requisite sum. I do not. Shit's expensive here, bruv.
>>
>>7583791
We have cheap peaches here around SC/GA border because every one grows them. I usually get them for free. It just doesn't take into account a lot of things on that list and could have been made years ago. I really don't know. When I lived in western NY state, sweet corn was almost free it was so cheap because every one around grew it there. Same with apples.
>>
>>7583672
More like
>$15
or
>$30
>>
>>7583672
>2 pounds chicken breast $1.96
that would be about $10 for me

>1 gallon skim milk $2
$4

>1 pound lean ground beef $2.98
$6

>32 ounce yogurt $2.27
$4
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (763 KB, 1195x1035) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
763 KB, 1195x1035
>>
imagines like these should include locations on where these dumb twats live

I genuinely want to know where I can fill a shopping cart for 20$
>>
>>7583713
Fuck off. You're not going to use all that time you spend not cooking to go and get a part time job. Your time isn't "worth" anything.
>>
I managed to buy around 2 pounds of ground chuck for like $6 and a packet of taco seasoning was ~$0.70
made my own flour tortillas for like, pennies. It was pretty much flour (obv), water, and a little oil.
then I got a lime, cilantro, a few shitty plum tomatoes, and an onion or two for about $5
then pre packaged cheese which was probably the most expensive price-per-value thing out of them all, something like $6 for two packages
it worked out to be around $20 for what could've been ~4-5 meals if I pushed it
>>
>>7583843
again i said not for me, the only people who tend to frequent kfc are people that have to work late nights and have to put dinner on the table. Its a sad reality
>>
>>7583861
>the only people who tend to frequent kfc are people that have to work late nights
Actually from my experience it's poor blacks and mexicans mostly. like entire families going out for a 'nice dinner'.
>>
Where is chicken that cheap? I'm not American, but I doubt most places over there sell it that cheap.
>>
>>7583878
American here. nope, never seen it cheap like that before.

a lot of that pricing is wrong but probably due to the date it was made in. but even then im sure its still wrong.
>>
>>7583832
dat pizza luks gud mang
>>
File: fruits-and-veggies-main.jpg (231 KB, 850x460) Image search: [Google]
fruits-and-veggies-main.jpg
231 KB, 850x460
just learn how to raw veg and youre done. it is amazing.

also, you can get a rice cooker to eat some cooked shit every once in a while.
>>
>>7583672
Get a hot plate, toaster oven and mini fridge. Now you can cook almost anything you could in a full-sized kitchen (on a small scale). Bare minimum, you need a pot, a pan and a baking dish of some kind. You could buy a microwave, too, but they kinda suck unless all you wanna do is make microwave popcorn and reheat tv dinners.
>>
File: 1451285331529.jpg (85 KB, 368x427) Image search: [Google]
1451285331529.jpg
85 KB, 368x427
>>7583672
>fat-free yogurt
>>
>>7583832
>Those prices
If you're single, you'd never buy all that shit in bulk because you could never use all of it.
>>
>>7583832
>whole chicken
>$0.37

lel
>>
>>7583832
yeah ill take the
fucking pizza
>>
>no stove
>no fridge

WHY

My dad has a portable induction cooktop that he uses a lot. You might look into one of those. You can use them to boil water as well as pan-fry food. I had an indoor grill and liked it, but you should understand that the average person doesn't grill all of their meals. Georg Foreman was an outlier who shouldn't have been counted.

>dat pic

Sure, I can get chicken breasts for $1.96 a pound. If I buy a ten-pound bag.
>>
File: 1458703896241.jpg (58 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1458703896241.jpg
58 KB, 500x500
>>7583672
>great value brand
>tyson chicken
>skim milk
enjoy your poor quality "food"
>>
>>7585160

Are you implying the fast food would be any better quality?
>>
>>7585163
you don't get fast food for good quality, m8
>>
>>7583832
consider my jimmies triggered
>>
>>7585167

Clearly not. But the context of OP is fast food vs. groceries. Anon was griping about the quality of said groceries. But that would only be relevant if the alternative--the KFC--was any better.
>>
>>7583672
That picture is a load of horse shit. Literally everything there is double the price irl - except the KFC, It's actually significantly cheaper.
>>
I spent $20 yesterday on 2 pounds of chicken, and a package of bacon
>>
>>7585163
You really can't get worse than Tyson """chicken""". McDonald's pink slime is probably less toxic.
Their food tastes like how chicken coops smell. I can only imagine the hellish farms the chickens live on.
>>
>>7585206
Depends a lot on regional variations, bro.

for me:
-chicken breast is rarely $1/lb in my area, but the dark meat cuts easily are. Or get the breast on sale.
-potatoes, corn, and peaches are spot on.
-milk is underpriced
-ground beef is underpriced, but one could easily just sub a higher fat amount for that price.
-yogurt, oats, peas, and beans are all spot on.
>>
>>7585235

I'm not disagreeing that tyson is shit quality. I'm amazed you think KFC uses anything better.
>>
The land of delusional food prices strikes again.
>>
>>7583748
Chicken is $2/lbs here in Michigan. Same with most cuts of pork. Beef is closer to $7/lbs though.
>>
>>7585313
How much is unleaded though?
>>
File: crockmeme.jpg (24 KB, 500x371) Image search: [Google]
crockmeme.jpg
24 KB, 500x371
>>
>>7583832
>tip
>pizza
>>
>>7583739
Two of my local groceries both sell boneless skinless chicken breast for $1.99/lb every day.
>>
>>7583832
>$11.50 jasmin rice
>$0.05 vermicelli noodles

What dish takes an entire sack of rice and only 4 noodles?
>>
>>7585254
Damn. What part of the world/country you in?
Rural or urban?
For some reason I've noticed cheaper prices in cities than in small town grocery stores. It's almost worth it to live in a small town and just drive into a big city to save some money on groceries.
>>
>>7583739
OP's image is from like 2006
>>
>>7583832
Where can I buy .$.01 tempeh? Plz respond
>>
>>7585313
>>7585446
>>7585516
Kinda depressing how food prices have doubled in the past 10 years.
>>
>>7585254
My area:
Chicken breasts are 99¢/lb when on sale, but they're bone-in/skin on. Once cleaned up, they're about $1.33/lb as the bones/skin make up about a quarter the weight.
Boneless is double that price.

Potatoes, corn, peaches and frozen peas are spot on.

Skim milk costs a buck more per gallon here.

When on sale, you can get lean beef that price, Usually, though, it's a buck to a buck-fitty more.

Yogurt's a little cheaper, $1.99. Full fat is a buck more (and what I buy).

Oats are cheaper. 42oz canister for $1.89.

Kidney beans vary HUGELY in price around here. I just got a 1lb pack a month ago that was 49¢. I was at the supermarket again Wednesday past and the same brand went up to $1.49.

For me, it would cost $23.45 to buy that list if the beef's not on sale, $22ish if it's not.
>>
File: 011.jpg (1 MB, 2544x1696) Image search: [Google]
011.jpg
1 MB, 2544x1696
>>7585556
>>7585458
>>7585437
>>7585170
>>7585078
>>7585077
>>7585067
Well, you can hoard jumbo size boxes of every ingredient known to man, like a doomsday prepper

Or you can do Blue Apron

Reasonable people choose Blue Apron

Batshit crazy hoarder doomsday preppers have a closet full of random shit dating back to the invasion of Panama
>>
>>7583672
MOTHERFUCKIN HIPSTER BULLSHIT
>>
>>7583810
I live on the border and peaches are 2 for $3 at Bi Lo
>>
>>7585658
What does this even mean?
>>
>>7583672
Go goodwill or cenior center shopping. Find a small electric grill, crockpot, ricecooker, and possibly electric stove with two burners. Get some cheap pots and pans.

This should all together cost you less than $75, quite possibly even cheaper.

I also suggest a tea kettle.
>>
>>7585661
what do you think it means cunt?
>>
>>7585658

Yeah I'm not sure what grocery store you can buy all that stuff at for 20 bucks.

It sure as fuck ain't the publix around the corner from me.

Maybe aldi, or some walmart super center bullshit on dropped good geriatric discount day.
>>
>>7585686
You posted it, why not explain it. Is being poor hip to you? Or is being clueless about cooking hip? Or is posting on /ck/ itself hip?

I genuinely would like to know what went through your head when you posted that.
>>
>2 pounds chicken breast
>$2
FUCKING AMERICANS
>>
>>7585704
fuckin get like 10 drumsticks for 2 bucks bud
>>
>>7585704
It's not american chiken meat is especially good. Low standards, low price.
>>
>>7585704

this is a work of fantasy, at most grocery stores it would be more like 1.99 a pound or more. when you do find 99 cents a pound it is generally less desirable cuts - bone in. not saying that isn't delicious.. jsut that what is pictured are tendies or deboned meat and that is generally >2.50 a pound where I live.
>>
>>7585707
>>7585709
Still a lot cheap than UK chicken though isn't it? The Tesco next to me does about 750g for a £5
>>
>>7585671
Oh and I forgot to mention, you could just get a mini fridge for under a hundred, and a small freezer (literally they have small one's that are almost like minifridges) for under three hundred. I saw one in a grocery outlet one time for $250.

It's worth investing in if you are going to be living there over 6 months, but in the mean time you could look into how other cultures cooked during droubts or hard times then supplement that type of cooking.

I'm running low on food right now, so I eat a lot of rice balls with pickle slices, an occasional hotdog, fruit cups, and some extra veggies from family or neighbors that don't want them. Or I'll just go out and buy like one bunch of asparagas (around $2) and it lasts me a few days. I'll just take a few pieces out at a time, chop them up, and toss them in with the rice or something.

Crockpots are nice for making a lot of something (like bean soup), and then just throwing the leftovers in the fridge.
>>
>>7583818
Sounds about right
>>
You know ... If you live around an agricultural area you can steal most of your fruits and vegetables if you're sneeki
>>
>>7585857
Enjoy your DDT poisoning
t. Monsanto
>>
>>7583712

Be careful, some canned stuff can be high in sodium, but that's why you read the labels for shit. You can find a lot of low-sodium options nowadays that helps.
>>
>>7585655
>paying through your nose for people to pre-cut and package your food for you

ahahahahaha
>>
>>7585865
>what is washing your vegetables

Checkmate monsanigger
>>
>>7585878
Tonight, I pulled out my 1kg container of turmeric that I purchased in 2007 and I've only used half but I'm still working my way through it because I don't waste turmeric.

Think of all the people like me, eating stale turmeric, before you post again.
>>
Literally how do you not have a stove, oven or fridge those things come with apartments
>>
>>7585907
Having lived in SoCal for 4 years I can tell you that they don't come with a fridge there. Some also don't have stoves.
>>
>>7583672
For utensils: portable frying pan or microwave at least
For eating cheap - dried ingredients (dried mushrooms, dried vegetables, dried meats) with soup mix (might come with soup, or you can just use miso or soy sauce or other things) and some noodles. You'll have to find this stuff but essentially you can put any meat in the soup along with any vegetable (dried or not) making it possible to fill all your nutritional needs by itself.
>>
>>7585556
Buy starter on ebay for $5-10
Buy beans for $1 a pound
Cook beans, mix starter, wait a day in warm temps
Done, less than a dollar a pound (because moisture)
>>
>>7585556
>>7586010
The starter will be enough for many batches - why I didn't include it in price
>>
>>7585889
$10 for a meal that isn't even cooked yet is a shitty deal no matter how you look at it.
>>
File: groceries.jpg (874 KB, 3200x2368) Image search: [Google]
groceries.jpg
874 KB, 3200x2368
>>7586099
The way I look at it is, it's cheaper than grocery shopping. These are multi-course meals, keep that in mind.

Pic related, groceries for one person, one course.
>>
>>7586107
>NYC
>>
>>7583672

>buy cheap plug in steamer
>buy eski to keep veggies
>restock with ice from store
>buy vegetables and rice from market
>steam veggies & rice erryday
>become too healthy

enjoy.
>>
>>7585943

that's insane, what city?
>>
>>7586171

>veggies and rice
>too healthy
no protein
>no fats

no
>>
>>7586107
>it's cheaper than grocery shopping

wat
>>
>>7586171

Calcium: green leafies (& broccoli esp)

Vitamins: colored veg (peppers, tomato, pumpk ect.)

Protien: Nuts & beans & green leafies

Fat: nuts, seeds, avocado

Carbs: rice, beans
>>
>>7586203

>vegetables can't have protien or fat

ok mister.
>>
>>7586224

no, those proteins aren't complete. unless we're talking soybeans. OP needs milk, eggs, meat, etc. canned tuna is probably your cheapest option. actually, protein powder is.

also, if you're really pinching pennies, multivitamins are a better deal than veggies for your micronutrients. and vitamins DO work, you just need to supplement several hundred % of your daily value. so get the pills that are meant for old people age 50+ and take two or three.
>>
>>7586242

I would advise against loading your diet full of tuna as the only source of animal protein. Eating it too much in a short period of time can put way more mercury in your body than might be safe.
>>
>>7586242

You do realize you can steam fish, eggs and any other meat in that steamer right anon? Right now you're just barking at a vegan who's ideals are probably set in stone.
>>
>>7586255

actually, tuna contains enough selenium to negate mercury poisoning.

https://chriskresser.com/5-reasons-why-concerns-about-mercury-in-fish-are-misguided/

i would recommend against it for the simple fact that it would get so boring. like i said, protein powder. at least it tastes like a milkshake. some have added fiber too.
>>
>>7586238

not complete proteins. and very little fat, unless you're eating avocados which are both fruits and extremely expensive.
>>
>>7586267
>not complete proteins

This is certainly grasping straws, but all foods have a complete amino acid profile, you won't get sufficient amounts from a single vegetable though without eating a lot though

>avocados are expensive

Where? They're a dollar or two at most at places nearby me
>>
>>7586267

Quinoa, beetroot and coconut all have complete protiens.

Nuts, seeds, drenching everything in olive oil and having the occasional avocado is enough fat.
>>
>>7586267

everything has complete protiens anon.. but meat has it in abundance.

alongside soybeans coconut, beets and a range of other things.

http://www.speedyremedies.com/7-complete-protein-foods.html
>>
>>7586284

so, you're telling me that quinoa, beetroot and coconut are all viable CHEAP options?

yes, nuts and seeds and oil will help a ton with fat intake. but the guy i responded to only mentioned vegetables.

>>7586282

since when is a dollar per avocado not expensive? have you, like, ever been poor?
>>
>>7586289
I suppose it's not the ideal "poor" food, but it's hardly expensive
>>
>>7586294

meh i disagree. when you can buy a can of tuna with 2 servings for less than a dollar and a tub of oats with 30 servings for $2.50 and a dozen eggs for $2, one avocado for a dollar is certainly expensive to me.
>>
>>7586303

canned tuna is fucking terrible for you.. do you know what the PH level of that shit is???

You're essentially burning your insides eating canned tuna.

I agree with everything else you're saying though anon.. i think the guy who mentioned vegetables didnt think to say "nuts and oil" he was just being general though.. no offense.
>>
>>7586310
>do you know what the PH level of that shit is???
>You're essentially burning your insides eating canned tuna.
>watthefuckamireading.tga
Do you even stomach acid, you retard?
>>
>>7586314

anon i think you need to complete some form of schooling before you respond to things like this.

I'll just say that ph level of food can throw your stomach acid levels out of whack and let you research this further hopefully.
>>
>>7586324
>thinks you dont produce stomach juice to keep an appropriate ph in there
I sure is american in here.
>>
>>7586107
feminist epistemologies? Do tell
>>
>>7586345

Not that guy, but eating too much acidic stuff can trigger heartburn and other gastro-esophageal problems, but yeah otherwise your body typically has buffers in place to even it out once it gets past your stomach. Acidosis as a systemic problem is typically caused by other more urgent metabolic problems than just dietary imbalances.
>>
Not sure what retard fest this has no doubt turned into, but if you are trying to go cheap without any cooking utensils of any kind anon, I implore you to go to Walmart and pick up a rice cooker with a STEAMER built in.

You can cook rice (always fantastic for living cheap) while steaming veggies as well as thinly sliced meats, and you can even cook inside of it like you would a slow cooker, as well as cooking noodles, hell I've made coffee in one once. It is the best tool if you have nothing else. The fucking thing comes with it's own bowl and spoon for Christ's sake.
>>
Picture is absolutely false.
For a little over 1 kg of chicken breast, it costs 20-25 dollars here in Canada.
>>
>>7583832
Yes I would like three cents worth of your finest saffron, please.
>>
>>7583739
>>7583748
some mexican supermarket in cuckifornia. i live on this shit. it really is a glorious deal handing a guy 5 bucks and getting a massive bag of chicken
>>
File: socal.jpg (82 KB, 599x599) Image search: [Google]
socal.jpg
82 KB, 599x599
>>7586750
Is this pic related?
>>
>>7583818
I need to get the fuck out of California.
>>
File: fresco.jpg (165 KB, 1024x680) Image search: [Google]
fresco.jpg
165 KB, 1024x680
>>7586755
nah its called fresco. and I guess you could call this the bad part of town but it isn't all that bad, the mexicans here are very nice people. i've never had a bad experience with mexicans.
>>
>>7583832
This picture is so fucking retarded
>>
File: drink brit.png (37 KB, 429x410) Image search: [Google]
drink brit.png
37 KB, 429x410
>>7583672
I bought chicken breasts at costco yesterday. $5 per breast.

OP's picture needs updating.
>>
>>7585568

>kind of depressing how that natural economic phenomena known as "inflation" occurs
>>
Man how old is that infographic?

I totalled up all those things, and at the cheapest grocery store in town it would cost you ~$33 for that list of stuff.
>>
Where do you live were a gallon ofbmilk 2 dollars

Shits 4 here.
>>
>>7589183
Is it just me or have millennials decided that phenomena is the accepted singular form of phenomena? It was never like this when I was growing up, we recognized a district singular form, "phenomenon"
>>
>>7583699
>white bread
>nutritious

Wew america
>>
>>7589327
It's 2 dollar and I live in chicago
>>
File: 1425601395966.gif (3 MB, 445x247) Image search: [Google]
1425601395966.gif
3 MB, 445x247
>>7583832
jesus fucking christ
>>
where do you get chicken breast like that for 1.96? that exact pack shown in the picture costs over $6 where I live. for whatever retarded reason just the breast costs more than whole chickens.
>>
>>7583832
Out of all of the stupid bullshit in this picture, the thing that gets me is that tip. Holy fuckballs a $10.01 tip for a $10 pizza?
>>
buy an electronic skillet, they are extremely versitle and cost about 20
>>
>>7590073
>for whatever retarded reason just the breast costs more than whole chickens.
Are you a retard?
>>
straighten your fucking shit out OP or just go full on tramp and live outside.

save some money to not eat like a spree shooter in the making.
>>
>>7583672
you could get the raw materials for the kfc meal and make it for cheaper and it wont taste like fucking shit like the healthy meal would.
>>
>>7583832
bro a jar of fucking saffron alone will cost you at least 10$
>>
File: 1457256703819.jpg (44 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1457256703819.jpg
44 KB, 500x500
>>7583672

>2 lbs of chicken breast for 2 dollars
>tub of yogurt for 2 dollars

patently untrue
>>
>>7583672

Maybe 15 years ago you could get all that stuff for $20. Milk alone has nearly doubled in price.

I'll get the nigger feed thanks. Shit feeds a whole family.
>>
>>7583832
>Saffron
>$0.03
>Bananas
>$6.75

>$10.01 tip on $9.99 order

Holy shit I needed a good laugh. Thank you, Anon.
>>
File: 1456375122023.jpg (27 KB, 310x287) Image search: [Google]
1456375122023.jpg
27 KB, 310x287
>>7583832
>mutton
>3 cents
>>
>>7589183
>inflation
>Food costs double
>Income doesn't
>>
>>7583739
That image is old, but in most of southern Europe prices are still around that.
>>
>>7585655
Or, you know, learn how to manage a fucking pantry like a functioning human being.
>>
File: 1460084875001-1.jpg (44 KB, 268x582) Image search: [Google]
1460084875001-1.jpg
44 KB, 268x582
>>7590986
>functional human being

Do you know where you are?
>>
>>7590986
So you mean, have only what you regularly use, and restrict your diet to that?

Yeah technology is scary 0_0
>>
>>7589183
Wages haven't increased nearly as rapidly. Everyone middle class and below is losing buying power really fast.
>>
>>7591371

>every basketball american has a hoverboard, beats by dre headphones and $150 shoes
>we need to increase minimum wage and tax the rich these kids are starving to death
>>
>>7583672
>1lb ground beef $3
i fucking wish, it's up to $6 here.
>>
>>7591355
How inept do you have to be that you really can't manage to use the shit you buy before it goes bad? Or do you just not know how to properly conserve your shit? In any case you are a failure at one of the most essential things a cook should know how to do and deserve to have your money ripped off.
>>
>>7583672
Well that image is false has hell. A gallon of milk here cost about 3-4 dollars, a lb of 96% lean ground beef is closer to 5 dollars, a lb of peaches is about 3 dollars, 10lbs of potatoes is 5 dollars, 2 lbs of chicken breast is about 4, (thighs are super cheap though). I would love to know where food is that cheap in this day and age.
>>
>>7591567
Thighs taste better too
>>
>>7591546
It's easy, I have a varied diet and I'm not running a restaurant.

You are free to restrict your diet to a dozen basic ingredients. It's a free country. Just don't confuse your confined eating with "competence", unless you mean competence at having a boring diet.
>>
>>7583712
canned food tastes terrible and is bad for you.
>>
>>7591601
>tastes terrible
debatable
>is bad for you
???
>>
>>7585416
I like crock pots, even if they're a meme. Toss a pot roast in there, work for ten hours that day, have hot food ready when I'm home.
>>
>>7586762
I was thinking the same thing

>1 gallon skim milk $2
$6

>1 pound lean ground beef $2.98
$8

>32 ounce yogurt $2.27
????
>>
i want to live in america where groceries are this cheap

fuck european farm subsidies REEEEEEEE
>>
>>7585235
there's no such thing as "pink slime"
>>
>>7583818
I'm in mexico and I could buy a whole chicken for less than $10. I want to go live in a different country someday but it also scares me how much the price of living would increase
>>
>>7586107
>cheapter than grocery shopping
>a single hamburger bun for 1 dollar

jump off a bridge
>>
>>7592957
>look at me, I put garbage in my body to save money, please say nice things about that
How nice for you, anon. I'm sure you feel just fine too
>>
>>7592019
I can get GMO frankenbirds for under $10 but they literally taste like ammonia and antibiotics

The good stuff you're probably used to costs closer to $17 per bird, depending on weight
>>
File: IMG_20160420_173254236.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160420_173254236.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
I made lentils earlier.

>2.50 for a lb of pig jowl.
>3.00 for a bag of frozen diced onion, celery, pepper and carrot mix
>1.20 for a bag of lentils
>1 for a jar of chicken bouillon cubes

The hog jowls and frozen seasoning mix was enough to make about 5 or 6 giant pots of beans or lentils.

So, it costs me about $2.50 to cook up a giant pot of lentils or beans. Serve with bread or over rice.

I fed the pork jowls to my dog, because they're gross, but they add a lot of flavor. Ham hocks, fatback, or similar cuts are usually very cheap.
>>
>>7592019
I see boneless skinless breasts at Walmart for $1.99 all the time. Housing costs are the biggest trouble you'll have.
>>
>>7583672
Toaster oven, tinfoil, hot plate, shitty pot, shitty pan. That's all you need.

Canned foods are cheap and can be decent:
Canned ham, beans, veggies, fruit

A lot of veggies n shit dont need to refridgerated: potats, rice, apples, oranges, onions, garlic n shit

Spices man buy em in the foreign foods shops and isles way cheaper than mccormicks: salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, chilli powder, curry powder, red pepper.

You can do a lot with those good luck
>>
>>7583672

Get a salad spinner and a big bowl. Make salad. Lettuce, kidney beans, whatever protein you have on hand...

A hot plate wouldn't hurt either.
>>
>>7589344
It's you
>>
>>7592995
I like pork neck bones alot personally. Tasty easy to cook.
>>
>>7592980
GMO frankenbirds are delish OP. They offer just as much nutrients as any other
>>
>>7583739
socal or texas have cheap ethnic supermarkets. My local one got chicken breasts for 80 cents a pound.
>>
>>7593118
Are they selling stringy yard birds or something?
>>
>>7583672

This is a lie now. Fresh fruit and vegetable cost more than processed foods and take out. You can get more take out than groceries now.
>>
>>7593122
they sell bone in. but that's ok though I just save the bones for broth
>>
>>7593126
yeah you can get a lot of food from places like KFC
>>
>>7593137
I was just yolkin around I have no idea how much chicken usually goes for a pound anymore.
>>
>>7593116
Sure, full day's supply of arsenic and cetylypyridinium chloride
>>
>>7583672
that pic is bullshit
you couldn't even cook up a decent plate of food with that shit on the bottom
>>
>>7593118
I live in Texas and while you can get really great deals shopping around, the prices in the picture seem too low
>>
>>7583672
Getting a tub of spinach or kale is a big first step. You can easily blend them with water or a milk alternative for a basic intake of greens.
>>
>>7583672
Just get a combi-oven. It's a microwave AND a grill AND a small oven.

Otherwise, move into a house with a fucking kitchen.
>>
>>7594677
kale is $4.99 at my local store

I have to go to whole foods if I want to buy kale for a reasonable price
>>
>>7583672

Get these:

One pot
One wooden spoon
One spork

Maximum cheap diet:
Rice (the only carb you'll need, buy 50lbs)
Thrown out produce (free, and still good if cooked)
Flash sale meats (they either hit the exp day or are about to, sold dirt cheap).

You're now eating healthy for under $50 a month.
>>
>>7586489
Not our fault Canada sucks
>>
>>7596683
Nobody throws out food any more, because it attracts hobos. They are all basically donated to nonprofit or religious organizations.
>>
>>7596692
m-maybe our meat is just really high quality
>>
>>7597525
Fuckin' hobos, ruining everything...
>>
>>7597526
It is.
>>
I don't know about where you live but here it's usually cheaper with plant protein such as beans than meat. If you don't have to have meat for every meal every day and can just have it once in a while you can save money.
This is extra-true if you're net edgy enough for torture-meat.
>>
>>7597805
What is torture-meat..
>>
>>7597807
Most cheap meat. It's inevitable with animal abuse if you want to produce meat as cheap as the cheapest stuff you find in stores and fast food.
>>
>>7597813
Anyone who asserts that there is more than one kind of meat is a vegan extremist
t. /ck/
>>
File: KS6chmu.gif (3 MB, 359x202) Image search: [Google]
KS6chmu.gif
3 MB, 359x202
>>7583832
>Tip costs as much as the pizza itself
WEW LAD WEW LAD
>>
yeah no OP lol

my local grocer
>2 lb chicken breast 7.99
>2 lb frozen peas 2.99
>gallon skim milk 4.58
>1 lb peaches .97(that one is right)
>32 oz tub yogurt 3.29
>10 lb potatoes 5.99
>bag beans .98 (cheaper for us)
>1 lb ground lean beef 2.97 (that one's spot on)
>canister of oats 1.5

not to mention all the dish detergent I will have to buy to wash all the dishes from cooking this bullshit 4.98

yeah more like 40 bucks and I dont even go to the expensive place
Thread replies: 184
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.