[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Foods that you grew up with that you can't find anywhere else
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 10
So I grew up in West Virginia and was shocked to find out as a kid that pepperoni rolls are only really a "thing" in that state and the Pittsburgh area.

I've seen them in other stores and cafes or restaurants as "pizza rolls" or something like that, but they always do something like use the wrong kind of dough, add sauce to it (it's not a fucking calzone, stop that), or other additions like that. But just bread wrapping up a nice stick of pepperoni? That's something I can't find now that I'm living elsewhere and I craved it something fierce today so I made up a batch.

So I guess regional food thread?
>>
>>7581267
You ever had a kolache? Seems pretty similar
>>
>>7581274

I've heard that pepperoni rolls are actually based on that. Supposedly it came from lunches that Polish or Italian immigrants who worked in the coal mines would take with them.
>>
>>7581275
Who cares
>>
>>7581283
>I'm a killjoy who doesn't enjoy leaning about the history of traditions and cultures in their area
>>
File: schmalzkuchen.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
schmalzkuchen.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
Schmalzkuchen are small, pillow-shaped cakes deep fried and covered in powdered sugar. Pic related. They're sold at every Christmas fair or public festival where I come from. I was shocked to find out that they're almost exclusive to Lower Saxony and no one farther than a 100 km away has ever heared of them.
>>7581283
Here's your (you), well deserved for your 5***** post
>>
>>7581288
>I was shocked to find out that they're almost exclusive to Lower Saxony and no one farther than a 100 km away has ever heared of them.

They're called Beignets (ben-YAYZ) down in the south along the Gulf coast, the New Orleans and Mobile area.
>>
>>7581306
Is that really how you pronounce it? I always called them "beige nuts"
>>
>>7581275
You're thinking of pasties that the Cornish immigrants would go down the mines with.
>>
>>7581314

I was introduced to them by my older brother who's been living in Mobile for the last four years, so I'm pretty sure he picked up the right pronunciation.
>>
>>7581306
>>7581314
>>7581320
They're pronounced /bɛnˈjeJ/ in English and [bɛɲɛ] in French. They look quite different from Schmalzkuchen though (at least judging from the pictures on wikipedia)
>>
File: pretzels_header-lores-1300x559.jpg (169 KB, 1300x559) Image search: [Google]
pretzels_header-lores-1300x559.jpg
169 KB, 1300x559
Grew up in Philly, now live in Connecticut. My Philly family moved to NC. I now have to bring pretzels with me any time I'm in Philly, regardless of whether I'm traveling north or south, because I got my friends up here hooked on them and my family still craves them.
>>
cheese curds
>>
In Southwest Ohio, little pizza shops sell "pizza bread." Not fucking thick crust pizza, but a magical pillowy dough with pizza toppings on top. Shit is awesome, can't find it anywhere on the east coast but at least I'm not in flyover territory anymore.
>>
>>7581671

We have that in my east coast town. Baked on huge sheet pans by a local bread bakery, about 1.5" inches thick, square, with a thin layer of sauce and cheese on the top.

never seen or heard of it anywhere else, thought it was only that one bakery
>>
File: bkpam2160535_tekakor2.jpg (872 KB, 5184x3456) Image search: [Google]
bkpam2160535_tekakor2.jpg
872 KB, 5184x3456
bread is one of those things that like only one bakery will make
>>
My muumsies makes these meatballs with rice mixed in that we would have with mashed potatoes on the side and the broath that the meatballs were cooked in to dip them.
>>
File: DSC_0366-1024x685.jpg (191 KB, 1024x685) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0366-1024x685.jpg
191 KB, 1024x685
>>7581588
I don't think I've ever had a bread pretzel. Just those dry crunchy snack ones.

What are those glazed with? They're so shiny.
>>
>>7581267
Maybe its a greater Appalachian area thing, I have those all the time in northeast Ohio.
>>
>>7582029
Sometimes butter, but they are naturally shiny either way.
>>
>>7582035

Probably, like I said I see them all the time in Pittsburgh too.
>>
>>7581267

My grandmother used to buy this bread from a bakery. It was the best.
>>
>>7581588
Man. I moved to Ottawa from Philly and the pretzels are easily the thing I miss the most. The best you can get here are shitry Rold Gold hard pretzels and it kills me inside
>>
File: buckeyes.jpg (9 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
buckeyes.jpg
9 KB, 259x194
>>7581267
I used to get cold pepperoni rolls from the convience store all the time. Really tasty.

These are the only thing I can think of that's unique to Ohio, but maybe I'm just not cultured enough to have heard of anything else.
>>
>>7582264
My mom makes them at christmas (Massachvsetts) but totally covered in chocalte, no bare spots on the ball
>>
>>7582264
people eat buckeyes? also skyline chili is an ohio thing
>>
>>7582275
Well, I meant the buckeye confection made of choclate and peanut butter, not the (nuts?) from the buckeye tree. Homemade ones are the bomb fampai.
>>
>>7582275
It's just a thug that looks like (and hence, called) a buckeye. Chocolate and peanut butter on the inside
>>
>>7581588
>>7582029
>>7582220

Big, soft pretzels are hard to find? I've spent all my life living in various parts of KY and I've never thought of them as a regional thing. They're pretty common as fair/festival/sports arena food.

Now, if you mean as a common item to pick up made from scratch at a corner bakery, we don't really have that, that I've seen.
>>
the nigga with the shaved ice cart that would come by daily :p
>>
File: 4c75a07a2e199.image.jpg (97 KB, 650x433) Image search: [Google]
4c75a07a2e199.image.jpg
97 KB, 650x433
>>7582805
>>
My grandma makes a kind of pasta she calls dago. Hard to describe, it was tomato based but had a smokey flavour. Probably from all the cigarettes she smoked.

Wasn't until I was 12 that I was told dago was a slur for Italians. Explains why I got weird looks from some of my teachers.
>>
>>7582960
>Man, I sure love those italian faggots!
>>
>>7582972
>Boy I sure love shitposting!!!
>>
>>7582577
>fair/festival/sports

sounds awful
>>
File: franskhotdog.jpg (29 KB, 283x256) Image search: [Google]
franskhotdog.jpg
29 KB, 283x256
>>7581267
we call them montefrance.
baguette cut in half with a wiener sausage and cheese. really good with ketchup.
i discovered it was only present in middle Troms, was shocked when visiting Tromso and they didn't have it anywhere.
>>
File: moraviansugarcake.jpg (3 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
moraviansugarcake.jpg
3 MB, 2448x3264
Good thing we only have this around christmas because it's horribly fattening and delicious
>>
We had pepperoni rolls in West mi
Fucking nothing in UP,MN,CA,CO
>>
File: 475111874.jpg (273 KB, 594x396) Image search: [Google]
475111874.jpg
273 KB, 594x396
Especially the sandwich kinds with cheese, tomatoes, and cucumbers.
>>
>>7581267
>kolache

Maybe Pizza Logs?
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.