[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cookware general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 181
Thread images: 26
File: maxresdefault.jpg (80 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
80 KB, 1280x720
Let's have a thread about cookware for people who haven't fucked up at life.

What's your favorite line of cookware for
>routine everyday tasks
>nonstick
>making stock
>stews

Not allowed:
>people who don't have task-specific cookware (looking at you, "cast iron does everything" neckbeards)
>>
Alu + stainless steel does do everything though
>>
>>7580489
True, but there are different ways of setting that up. For instance, disc bottom vs clad, thickness and layering for controlling responsiveness vs thermal capacity. Etc.

Personally I like a single layer of thick aluminum with stainless inside. No discs, discs are shit.
>>
Glass lids, yay or nay?
>>
Just use a Le Creuset non-stick for everything

Never had a single problem with it, and it's easier to use and clean than my stainless steel is. Not too bothered if you get slightly nicer sauces from the SS.
>>
>>7580574

I want to say yay for functionalities sake (can see through glass) but the numerous pots and pans without lids thanks to accidents would say nay.
>>
>>7580574
I don't like 'em, I associate them with housewife shit like Calphalon. Also they always seem to come with a hole which is infuriating.
>>
>>7580574

I love them; it's nice to be able to see what's happening in the pot without having to lift the lid. And I've never in my life dropped or broken one.

Though I can see that if someone is the clumsy type they may want something that's less likely to break when dropped.
>>
File: IMG_20160111_210044-1.jpg (289 KB, 600x802) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160111_210044-1.jpg
289 KB, 600x802
I "quick season" my all clad SS fry pans before cooking by getting them real hot with grapeseed oil and then rub salt into them/wipe clean. Eggs literally float around in that bitch, wears off after 1 or 2 uses.

I also use pic related large target brand cast iron skillet for any searing or anything my SS is too small for. Pretty sure it is just a lodge with enamel coating.

Lastly, I have a massive aluminum stock pot.
>>
I've come to appreciate the plain stainless steel lately after cooking on nonstick for a couple years. I mean even if you do burn something you can about clean SS with an angle grinder so.
>>
>>7580479
>>routine everyday tasks
IKEA triple stainless-alu-stainless sandwich cookware.
>>nonstick
Cast iron Skeppshult, or enameled cast iron Le Creuset pot depending on need. U mad?
>>making stock
>>stews
Pressure cooker or enameled Creuset.
>>
For pans I have two cast iron skillets, one stainless steel pan and a non stick pan. Oh and a carbon steel wok.
>>
>>7580701
gotta have a wok
>>
>>7580589
The hole is amazing for putting a thermometer
>>
>>7580574
Can't bake with them. Nay.
>>
>>7580479
>general
>>
>>7580479
>routine everyday tasks
Old cast iron skillet I found at a thrift store.
>nonstick
>making stock
>stews
1.5 gallon steel stockpot

>looking at you, "cast iron does everything" neckbeards
But it really does. It's easier to work with than every other option, and it means I get away with having a handful of cooking vessels instead of stacking a bunch of useless junk unitaskers.
>>
>>7580746
Rectal, I hope ;)
>>
>>7580479
I've got a heavy stainless set for most everything, nonstick is a t-fal pan.
>>
>>7580925
sorry the stainless set is cuisinart
>>
>>7580789
>>making stock
>Old cast iron skillet
shitniggawhatareyoudoing.svg
>>
>>7580479
I have a mix of stainless, anodized aluminum, non-stick and cast iron.

I use the stainless and anodized for general purpose, non-stick usually just for eggs/omelets, cast iron for searing/braising.
>>
>>7580639
Are you a giant crab
>>
>>7580936
>not baking your chicken carcasses and ham legs in your cast iron, then sauteeing the mirepoix directly in the skillet before transferring everything to a stockpot of water with herbs

Have you ever actually cooked anything without going to pinterest first?
>>
>>7580983
Fucking kek
>>
File: not_buying_it.jpg (27 KB, 350x335) Image search: [Google]
not_buying_it.jpg
27 KB, 350x335
>>7581056
Roasting the bones is better done in an oven pan that doesn't have the thermal mass of a cast iron skillet. Pan should be deglazed immediately and not used to brown mirepoix. Mirepoix can preferably be browned in the stock pot.
>mfw im a professional chef in one of fucking björn franzéns top restaurants
>mfw this whole board is full of loudmouthed shits who cant cook but act tough
>>
File: 46761_feel.png (354 KB, 5000x5000) Image search: [Google]
46761_feel.png
354 KB, 5000x5000
>>7581098

>professional chef
>imblying that glass of cheap whisky isn't the only thing keeping you sane
>>
>>7581098
>bjorn
So you're a cuck?

Enjoy your unitaskers, faggot.
>>
>>7581123
I want WOK and new pot. Are IKEA WOKs and pots alright? Should I invest more money?
>>
Aluminium frying pan and aluminium pot master race.
>>
File: wookie.jpg (24 KB, 522x262) Image search: [Google]
wookie.jpg
24 KB, 522x262
>>7581139
Don't know of any IKEA series called WOK. Everything non-stick is useless as you can't heat it enough to actually wok. A real thn steel plate wok is useless unless you have a pit.
Cast iron (thick) woks are the best you can do on a western stove. Heavy as fuck though, and take a long time to warm up.
>>7581123
>butthurt as fuck
>>
>>7581179
>buddhurd
I see you've taken the bait about IKEA.

>cast iron is the best you can do
Fag. Carbon steel is the standard for woks. Not that you actually need them to do literally anything anyone other than a chinese family makes at home.
>>
>>7581179
>Don't know of any IKEA series called WOK.
That came off wrong. Not trying to be an ass; I ment to say if there is such a series I'm not familiar with it, and perhaps you ment a wok from series X.
The IKEA woks of any series I've ever seen are useless, thin, non-stick wok lookalikes.
>>
>>7581189
>Carbon steel is the standard for woks.
And useless without a pit. Do you even one of the following, bro: cook; read?
>>
>>7581214

they work just fine on home cooktops as long as they are seasoned properly
>>
>>7581214
Both, and.

>useless without a pit
You must be an actual retarded person.
>>
>>7581179
Why the fuck would you use a cast iron wok?

How the fuck are you going to stir fry on a material with such piss poor thermal conductivity?
>>
>>7580506
i saw an article from one of the comparison sites and they said that the walmart version of all-clad 3 layer was just as good as the real thing(it was maid in thailand)

thinking of going for it bc my hand-me-down caphalon sucks
>>
>>7580639
do you have psoriasis?
>>
>>7581553
Great Value pans? Never seen them, are you sure?
>>
Do you own any commercial grade cookware?
>>
>>7581682
no "tramontina" guess sold only at walmart in a set not neccasarily a walmart brand itself. at least americas test kitchen said they were just as good as all clad 3 ply bc the price was ~200

i havent had a chance to test them out yet dont really know if i want a whole set
>>
>>7580479
>>7580577
this too, cast iron everything. Have a used creuset set and some staub bakeware and dutch ovens
>>
>>7581557
lol
>>
I use T-Fal for my non-stick applications. Their pans are god-like. I also use it for my general medium sized pots.
For my stock/chili pot I have a basic aluminum giant pot with basic lid. It works.
I have a 14 inch cast iron pan (NOT LODGE) with a smooth surface and a ceramic coated outer surface/handle. I use it to fry fish and chicken if I want a really crispy breading.
I use a nabe pot to make ramen in. Since it's all ceramic, it can sit right above my gas stove just as-is.
I use a bamboo steamer for all my steamy needs. Gyoza or steamed veggies, or pirogi.
Of course I have a ceramic casserole dish for lasagna or hot dish. Glass ones of smaller size for brownies, mac and cheese bakes, etc.
Finally I have a ceramic coated cast iron dutch oven for stews/chili/soup, and fun.
>>
>>7582135
What tefal stuff do you have, specifically? I got a supposedly ceramic coated pan for frying stuff and a couple of months later everything sticks to it like on any other cheap pan

Was I just retarded and didn't great it right or? For the first times I used it, it was awesome, but soon enough it went to shit ;__;

I really like non-stick stuff, but never had a proper one (until I got the wok that I have)

So please advise :3
>>
File: 798083.jpg (53 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
798083.jpg
53 KB, 1000x1000
>>7581811
I've got a generic teflon lined aluminum pan from the restaurant supply store, does that count?
>>
>>7582071
I was looking at that brand on amazin and thinking about getting one. I have an all-clad but it's too big for some things. hot spots and all that jazz
>>
>>7582665
I don't know what happened to my fingers when posting this but I am lol'ing
>>
>>7582665
let us know how it is if after you try it out, ive been wanting to but i dont really need a whole new set atm but it might be worth it since I would have to sell my car to get a full set of all-clad(TM)
>>
>>7580577
But can it sear?
>>
>>7582716
Not him, but yes of course. Why wouldn't it? Enamel doesn't have the heat issues of teflon, so it sears even better than any non-stick skillet.
>>
>>7580479
>routine everyday tasks
Either aluminum-stainless steel clad or carbon steel, depending on the exact task. Bought six 10" carbon steel skillets at a restaurant supply store for 19 bucks apiece, use them for pretty damn near all my sauteing and such. I also have a very heavy cast iron skillet for heavy searing and a few other tasks.
>nonstick
Carbon steel or my fuckhuge cast iron.
>making stock
16L steel stockpot
>stew
Enameled cast iron dutch oven.
>>
Pretty much only use stainless nowadays.

I use my teflon for eggs/pancakes. just easier. I use my cast iron for shallow frying or cornbread/pizza.
>>
>>7582071
I scored the tramontinas reviewed in that article back in the day, and it is quite nice, but they're not made the same anymore. They realized they had too good a thing.
>>
>>7582808
>I scored the tramontinas reviewed in that article back in the day, and it is quite nice, but they're not made the same anymore. They realized they had too good a thing.
fugggg, thats really disappointing, why would they do that shit? they could have so much more business, but i guess after good reviews they are cashing in on the name now, that sucks.

welp nevermind my suggestion
>>
File: IMG_2017.jpg (122 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2017.jpg
122 KB, 900x600
>>7581553
>>7582071
https://www.centurylife.org/in-depth-product-review-tramontina-tri-ply-clad-also-known-as-triplyclad/
>>
Don't shit on cast iron, sperggie.

Now that that's been said.....
I use
>Cast iron (mostly Griswold and Wagner)
>industrial stainless stock pots from the restaurant supply
>Carbon steel pans (Mauviel and de Buyer)
>A few Le Creuset pieces
>industrial roasting pans and saucepans, again from the restaurant supply
>2 magnalite pans, just for crepes
>1 good copper pan just for omelets

I'm a little ocd, who gives a fuck......
>>
>>7580479
I like Calphalon
>>
Due to an eBay mistake, I got the Cuisinart MCP-12N MultiClad Pro Stainless Steel 12-Piece Cookware Set for free recently. I am switching over from nonstick. I know that I will need to use oil or cooking spray whenever I use the pans, but are there any other differences I should be aware of?
>>
>>7583231
caphalon is pretty legit compared to others(i have the non stick kind from early 2000's;. i cant speak about the others)
but there are some draw backs,imo

>cant really heat it up too much, otherwise it smokes really bad
>after a lot of cooking/~5 years depending on use/wear and tear you can tell the coating starts to come off a bit and progressively more the more you cook on it
>it scratches easily and the scratch marks stay forever
>for the organic fags, there is absolutely no taste difference but without a doubt I have noticed the coating dissipate and I have to assume some of it is in the food, which might or might not even be a problem but the studies never mention bio-accumulation when compared to everything else in our "typical" society that can lead to health risks but just thought I would mention it bc i noticed that the coating does wear down
>>7583161
thanks for the link that explains even more then the americas test kitchen article, which,fyi, I felt wasnt really worth the subscription so i didnt buy after the free trial

the issue with pouring spilling over the side might bother me a bit and seems like the cons arent that big of a deal bc its so much less expensive compared to name brand all-cladUSA
>>7583361
>Due to an eBay mistake, I got the Cuisinart MCP-12N MultiClad Pro Stainless Steel 12-Piece Cookware Set for free recently.
damn what kind of mistake?? sounds awesome

I have to see where I can get a brazilian 12 piece set version since that seems like the best kind that they make,
>>
>>7580639
Your arm looks fucked up; there's jizz in your pan, bro
>>
>>7581455
iron's great in that it heats up slowly but stays hot
>>
>>7580479
Fag
>>
>>7583369
Seller was pulling some kind of scam, was using stolen credit cards to buy items on Overstock.com and ship them to people that won Ebay auctions. Ebay refunded me the purchase when the seller was found to be a scammer, but I also got the pans in the mail the next day. I called Ebay and they told me to keep them and that I didn't have to pay for them, so yeah.

You might want to try the Cuisinart set, I got them specifically because they perform very well, are rated well, and are comparable to all-clad. I see eBay auctions for them go at around 150-175 new, and I'd won mine at 137.50 before I got the refund.
>>
>>7583381
thats a sweet-lucky deal, at least you didnt get ripped off, scammers are the worst

cuisnart vs tramontina?
both seem about the same, im not sure yet
>>
>>7583389
Cuisinart has a better reputation and good customer service.
>>
>>7580936
He does not actually use cast iron, that is what.
It's just what is "hip and cool" in here. Cast iron uber alles. (If they would actually know their shit they would rant and rave about carbonsteel pans that are superior to castshit anyday)

Cast iron is pretty much only useful for steaks, otherwise there are always better options.
>>
>>7580479
Love my Dutch oven. I love making roasts and chili with it mostly.
>>
>>7580479
>routine everyday tasks
>making stock
>stews
tin lined copper
>nonstick
teflon
>bonus: searing meats, bread
cast iron
>>
>>7581232
>>7581243
>>7581455

you need a wok to be really fucking hot. home burners are not hot enough and they don't heat the sides effectively. a steel wok will cool down fast and you will get stewing going on. cast iron woks store a lot of heat so you can get them screaming fucking hot in the oven or whatever and they will serve as a decent workaround.

why /ck/ has suddenly gone full retard in its reactionary stance against cast iron i do not know.
>>
>>7580639
Hey crabman
>>
>>7583781
Because reasonable arguments have no place here, and every board needs something to feel superior to for no real logical reason

Inevitably they will call it a meme and whoever likes it is paria and part of the meme thus irrelevant

If it wouldn't be cast iron it would be something else, it doesn't matter what it is, they just need some common "enemy" to get this community feeling

I still haven't gotten any decent advice on what I should get for a non-stick pan that will last for example.
>>
>>7583781
Thank you. I couldn't even be bothered responding to the retard.
>>
>>7582716
It's PFOA free so shouldn't have much of an issue using high heat. There's a certain French youtuber pastry chef who makes his sweet shit in it on high heat and he's never complained. Won't sear as well as cast iron though, but I'm not that fussy about my searing anyway

Can even use mental utensils on it, but I don't
>>
>>7583781
how many BTU's are needed for proper wok use?

some high class residential ranges I have seen have up to 22K btu burners, surely thats enough?
>>7584086
>I still haven't gotten any decent advice on what I should get for a non-stick pan that will last for example.
le crueset enameled ceramic
>>
>>7584305
100,000 btu's
look up propane wok burner
>>
>>7584305
>how many BTU's are needed for proper wok use?
Original cast wok anon here. Impossible to say.
Depends on how large quantities of food you'll be wokig in the same pan. Typical burners main problem is also that they're too small. A pit works like a chimney that distributes the heat more evently along the bottom two thirds or so of the wok, while a standard western burner wil give a palm size red hot spot in the bottom of the wok, and the rest will be too cold to cook in.
I've used shrouds in professional kitchens that give some of the pit effect but never even seen them in a domestic kitchen and believe it'll be pretty impractical with a standard fan shroud above it.

And all this is assuming you have a gas stove to begin with, which fewer people have than some would like to think.

The alternative is a thick pan that speads heat well, that you can preheat, and with enough thermal mass that you can cook more than one bamboo shoot at a time without the sides going cold.
A thick cast wok will work on any home stove-top, even induction. But by all means, if you have a suitable burner, get a thin, classic carbon steel wok. They're much cheaper, much easier to use, you can toss and handle it without being the Hulk.
For most people the cast iron compromise is making the best of it though.
>>
>>7583781
Because cast iron fanbois have been misrepresenting the usefulness of their niche hobby toy and it's annoying
>>
>>7584354
>100,000 btu's
hot damn, well nevermind then no residential ragne will have that

the only way would to buy a separate device like you mentioned
>>7584375
very concise and seems very realistic, thanks
>>
>>7584428
>niche hobby toy
>used to great effect for thousands of years in all types of cooking by all cultures that ever developed iron metal-working
See, this hyperbole bullshit is why it's impossibe to take you guys seriously. I'm the first to admit there's a point to having both enamel and teflon availiable to you in the kitchen, and I used stainless De Buyer professionaly a decade ago, before it was cool. *sips PBR*
They make far less sense in a domestic setting though, for much the same reasons that cast is often impractical professionally, and the autistic anti cast posturing and hyperbole is incredibly tiring.
>wee, look at me
>im using the pro tools completely out of context without any idea why chefs like them or why it has nothing to do with their cooking properties
>le me is such star chef
If you wan't to braise at home you use your enameled pan, or a fucking stainless pot. Deglazing a cast or carbon skillet is perfectly alright if you do it properly.
>>
>>7584537
All the shit that is burned into the cast iron pan from the food you've cooked over the years is literally carcinogenic

Enjoy
>>
>>7584807
>implying burnt teflon isn't
>implying scale searing doesn't produce carcinogenic compounds in the meat in orders of magnitude greater quantities than what's stuck in the pan
>implying some of it stuck in the pan doesn't mean less in your body
>implying your troll wasn't weak as fuck, but it was the only retort you could think of
>implying i didn't fucking fall for it by replying anyway
>>
>>7584807

Just like any other kind of pan, if there's food burned to it then the cook fucked up.

Are you perhaps confused and think that the "seasoning" layer on cast iron consists of food? It doesn't.
>>
>>7584439
You can actually buy individual high output burners for pretty cheap. I bought a 2,000,000 BTU propane burner for under $70.
>>
>>7584871
for indoor use? that sounds sweet
>>
>>7585070

Using that indoors would be a bad idea. Not only because of the massive amount of carbon monoxide it would make, but also because cooking on a burner like that makes an awful lot of steam and spice fumes.

Use outdoors, or indoors only if you have a commercial type ventilation system
>>
>>7585086
o-ohkay. youre right though that could be dangerous. i guess thats why residential ranges only go to ~25k BTU-bc not many people will pay to have the adequate ventilation to be safe
>>
File: steam_basket.jpg (33 KB, 500x315) Image search: [Google]
steam_basket.jpg
33 KB, 500x315
Hm, let's see...
Two larger stainless pots with glassed lids, 6 and 8 litres
Alu/SS sandwich pots, one 5- and two 3 litres
Cast iron skillets, 18 and 28 cm
Cast iron griddle pan, 24cm
Big enameled cast iron Le Creuset pot
Pressure cooker
Rice cooker
Various roasting pans and quiche molds
Dutch oven
Waffle iron
Stack of >pic related
Anyone worthy of /ck/ membership knows what goes where.
>>
>>7585142
>le le le
/reddit/
>>
File: cooking-fail.jpg (59 KB, 740x385) Image search: [Google]
cooking-fail.jpg
59 KB, 740x385
>>7585169
I forgot this is the M/ck/Donalds board.

*hrmhm* So, what do you guys think the future of BigMac will be like again?
>>
>>7583781
>using a wok on a stovetop will cause your food to stew
If you can make a proper stew in a wok, I commend you, fag
>>
>>7585340

obviously you can do that
>>
File: wok-curry.jpg (47 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
wok-curry.jpg
47 KB, 500x375
>>7585340
Here you go, comrade. How did you think the asians do their curries?
>>
File: 511A33-p8UL._SL1000_.jpg (37 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
511A33-p8UL._SL1000_.jpg
37 KB, 1000x1000
pic related (5.5 quarts) is pretty versatile. i also have a nonstick for things like eggs and a cast iron for searing meats.
>>
>>7584537
>if you do it properly
Whatever the fuck that means...

When will you learn that the reason normal cookware is the standard choice for home users (yes! really!) is that you don't have to define some ridiculously narrow set of specifications for "properly using" and then the user is at fault by definition when, invariably, it comes out all fucked up. You can, say, wash it the normal way and not the extra special "proper cast iron way". You can, say, cook with it the normal way, instead of some undefined, vaguely theological sounding "extra special cast iron deglazing method". And guess what, if you use actual normal deglazing methods used by everyone and described in cookbooks (instead of whatever Wagner/Griswold forum you have to use TOR and the Deep Web to connect to), things turn out fine.

You see, for normal people who just want to cook, the purpose of cookware is to serve the user. Somehow, somewhere along the line, a certain population of fringe niche alternative lifestyle hobbyists got it backwards. Take cast iron fanboi here: he actually thinks the purpose of the user is to rationalize the existence of the cookware.
>>
>>7585689

it isn't hard to look after the seasoning on a cast iron pan, you just have to know to do it.
>>
>>7585362
you dont need a wok to do curry...you can but asians dont nesicarly use them

dry fry curries should be cooked in a wok, but most curries are stews and can be cooked in a normal pot since the dish requires none of the benefits of a wok
>>
>>7585689
>Whatever the fuck that means...
Small mount of liquid, don't fill it to the brim and reduce for hours. Liquid in, dissolve the shit you want, pour it out.

Also, butthurt detected.
>implying your teflon pan doesn't turn to shit in hurry in the hands of a moron who overheats and scratches it, but cherrypick away, you raging sausage jockey.
>in the real world all tools require some modicum of proficiency.
>>
>>7585833
>delgazing discussion
>cast iron sperg thinks about teflon pans
Can't even make this stuff up
>>
>>>7584537
>>I'm the first to admit there's a point to having both enamel and teflon availiable to you in the kitchen
>>7585689
>Take cast iron fanboi here
Um, anon...
You're the one with his panties in a bunch. Untangle them and contain your incoherent sperg rage.
>>
File: 6d71f-thudguard.gif (126 KB, 1353x540) Image search: [Google]
6d71f-thudguard.gif
126 KB, 1353x540
>>7585845
Oh, so your argument is that stainless pans are the "normal cookware" that doesn't need any training? TOPPEST KEK M80! XDDD
Or did you just realize you backed yourself into a corner here?
>>
>>7585821

no one was saying you need a wok to do stews anon, follow the discursive thread.
>>
>>7585854
All cooking requires some learning steps.

Stainless lined pans are the default because 99% of modern western cooking presumes the use of a stainless lined pan, and by "western", no spergy, not fucking cowboys and hard tack, but western in the standard sense of the word.

Actually never mind I realized you can't even grasp the concept of standards because they are some kind of normie conspiracy against you, much like expiration dates on milk.
>>
File: mfv.jpg (38 KB, 615x454) Image search: [Google]
mfv.jpg
38 KB, 615x454
>>7585862
>Stainless lined pans are the default
Are we not talking frying pans/skillets or are you living in an alternate reality?
>>
>>7585869
I'm definitely not living in whatever reality you live in, fedora cowboy. Cast iron, mead, and pocket watches are not part of my daily life. Nor do I carry around a dagger to rescue maidens in distress, or drink from an animal skin slung over my shoulder.
>>
>>7585877
Here, please educate yourself.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Sellers-Kitchen-Home-Frying-Pans/zgbs/kitchen/3000300031
>>
>>7585877
Have a look at america too. Look at all these stainless pans being sold (not)!
http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Kitchen-Dining-Skillets/zgbs/kitchen/289829/ref=zg_bs_nav_k_3_3737221
You're litteraly autistic enough to think that you are the model on which the world is moulded, and your recent meme De Buyer is what 'normal people' use.
>>
>>7585910
What is "recent meme de buyer"? You mean carbon steel?

Why are you so hung up on all these niche specialty pans? People buy a lot of teflon pans because they're consumables. That doesn't mean most cooking is done on them, it just means that they scratch, and people throw them out.
>>
>>7585901
>>7585910
>all the idiots on amazon buy it, so it must be the best!
>>
>>7585910
Normal people DO know how to cook on carbon steel pans. Only assburger, flyover, middle aged housewives and their retarded children think that their cheap non-stick and stainless cookware is "what normal people use". Goddamn, you're stupid.
>>
File: notsureiftrolling.jpg (57 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
notsureiftrolling.jpg
57 KB, 604x453
>>7585942
Try to keep up, anon.
>>7585939
Yes, that perfectly explains why cast outnumbers stainless by an order of magnitude in those lists - they're consumables.
Face it, your fantasy land delusion that stainless frying pans are the norm fell flat, and you look retarded for throwing around the autist label so self-assured.

It's OK anon, I won't tell your friends on this anonymous bord that it was you.
>>
>>7585963
Well yeah. When the cast iron touches soap you either have to go through a days-long purification ritual, or buy a new one.

The normies, they just throw it out and buy a new one. So much for passing it down to the grandkids, reee.
>>
>>7585949
>Only assburger, flyover, middle aged housewives and their retarded children think that their stainless cookware is "what normal people use". Goddamn, you're stupid.
That was my point ... but I'm stupid. Please elaborate.
>>
File: hue-hue-hue-hue-hue.jpg (61 KB, 574x399) Image search: [Google]
hue-hue-hue-hue-hue.jpg
61 KB, 574x399
>>7585969
>this guy
>>
>>7585973
If that was your point, you didn't make that clear. Your post read like you were disparaging that normal people would use carbon steel pans. Writing skills......
>>
>>7586009
De Buyer, before realising home cooks didn't want it and introducing carbon instead, was the original poster-child of pro-chef stainless skillets. Please be less historyless.
>>
Anyone here use nude aluminium casseroles? Frenchfag here and most normal people here do, it's almost as good as copper!
>>
>>7584137

Literally every pan ever is PFOA free

PFOA is used in a (now outdated) process to manufacture PTFE

It doesn't make it into the finished product

PTFE is Teflon, Teflon is DuPont's trademarked name for PTFE. Pans that are advertised as "Teflon-free" may contain PTFE (Teflon) produced by a different manufacturer. Swiss Diamond did this a few years ago but changed when they got called out.

PTFE (Teflon) is not suitable for high heat and therefore not suitable for searing.

Le Creuset Nonstick (the pans they guy is talking about) uses a PTFE coating

The issue with PFOA is that any PFOA not burned off during teflon manufacture has to be properly disposed of. If that doesn't happen, it can leak into groundwater and give people cancer.
>>
>>7580479
>Routine everyday tasks
Lodge and All-Clad.

>Nonstick

T-fal because it's dirt cheap and I only use it for eggs

>Making stock

Update International because it's cheap as fuck for a big-ass heavy gauge steel pot.

>Stews

See above
>>
>>7584871
two MILLION btus? That's a fucking rocket not a burner. Are you sure you didn't mean 200,000?
>>
>>7580479
Have 8" and 12" stainless steel thick bottom pans for everyday tasks, 12" has a glass cover.

10" & 12" Cast iron for deep frying, morning eggs or sauteing meats, but the stainless steel usually go non-stick when I heat them up correctly, but I like how cast iron holds heat and can go in the oven.

Stock always in my non-venting Kuhn Rikon 8qt pressure cooker, 55minutes tops, can't be beat for speed and quality of stock, comes out golden colored.

Again pressure cooker for making stews, can't be beat for convenience, speed and flavor.

>>7581214
>>7581179
Some home burners hit 20,000btu's and home woks are usually smaller than chinese restaurant woks, so you can get away with it.
>>
>>7587805
>update international
My fellow basketball American
>>
File: 96-786-228-04.jpg (6 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
96-786-228-04.jpg
6 KB, 300x225
>>7582216
The ones with the light and dark square pattern with the red circle in the middle. They advertise that you can use metal utensils on it, but I don't. I've had one for 3 years and it hasn't had any of the non-stick come off at all. it also works just like when I bought it. I don't know if its because I only use wood/plastic to cook? I don't believe in metal utensils on any non-stick.
>>
>>7588059
Yo, these things are fucking amazing. Spent a semester in Montreal last year. Get up there, and all the pans they gave us were scratched all to shit. Go to the restaurant supply store a few blocks away and I grab one of these for about 30cdn. The thing's a beast, and got me through my first horse meat experience. Can't suggest them highly enough.
>>
>>7588066
Amen.
I'd really want to try horse. I actually live fairly close to the border compared to other states. (MN)
Unfortunately I found out Canada won't let you enter if you have a DWI on your record :/
>>
>>7582703

All Clad seconds sale at the factory in Pittsburgh coming up soon, maybe a couple months. Im in VA, probably gonna make the day trip and see if i cant score an entire set for 75% off. Should be fun.

Any eats suggestions in Pitt? Ive heard fatheads.
>>
>>7581098
last time i posted an actual cooking thread 2 peoples were following it and it got derailed by trolls posting fast food places.... a few months before that this board was full of actual cooks... it may just be a certain time of day but sometimes this board is fuckign great... sometimes(99 percent) it's horrible.
>>
This thread might as well be about Linux vs Windows vs Mac

Or chopsticks vs forks

Or manual vs automatic gearbox

You people can't understand that different people have different preferences, different ways of cooking, use different ingredients, and thus have different preferences in cookware

I'm not gonna buy 6 L cast iron pots if all I eat is stir fry.

You'd be willing to call someone who only makes stews a retard for not having the latest greatest wok

>I lost the fucking game
>>
>>7588583
>>You'd be willing to call someone who only makes stews a retard for not having the latest greatest wok
>muh strawman
>>
File: img80c.jpg (30 KB, 574x459) Image search: [Google]
img80c.jpg
30 KB, 574x459
>>7588583

Okay I have a realbquestion. I'm a fan of all clad, used to sell them at Williams and Sonoma way back when I worked there. They seem good all around.

But, have any of you used that upscale copper core version of theirs? I will have a chance to score some in the summer at the seconds sale, worth the premium over stainless triply?
>>
>>7588594
It's literally just for looks. The point of the design is having a heat conducting core. Replacing the thin outer layer of stainless with copper (or is it even just plate?) will do absolutely nothing, and give it none of the thermal qualities of tinned, solid copper pots and pans.

Do look 'purty though.
>>
>>7588594

I have used them. They perform identically to the aluminum-core type. They're certainly good pans, but they're not worth the price premium. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if they're on clearance though.
>>
>>7588600
Disregard this. I'm an idiot and confused the AC copper design with another brand. It is an actual copper core.
>>
>>7588594
The copper core has a 1mm copper layer, it's not just for looks like the other guy says. It's legit, and there is no aluminum so the copper is not just functional but actually essential to the pan. Without it there is only the steel.

That said, 1mm copper is ghetto, good copper is 2+mm. It's functionally a midrange pan, but it costs more than mauviel 250 with over twice the copper.

tl;dr if you get a discount don't avoid it, but definitely do not pay anywhere near full retail. 1mm copper is about as good as a decent low end all clad aluminum
>>
>>7588594
they are solid, but poor value for the price point. their copper core line is pretty much the same price as stainless steel/tin lined copper, both of which will outperform any 3 ply or 5 ply design.
>>
>>7588613

the problem is that 1mm isn't really thick enough to do much good, especially compared to their aluminum-core pans which have a much thicker heat spreading layer making them just as effective for less money. In the case of all-clad, the copper core product line is simply there to charge extra money for that little band of copper that is exposed around the side of the pan.
>>
File: Copper-Core-right-image.png (85 KB, 460x250) Image search: [Google]
Copper-Core-right-image.png
85 KB, 460x250
>>7588613
>and there is no aluminum
AC disagrees. It's a five layer SS-alu-C-alu-SS sandwich. Assuming the layers are equaly thick and you're just trading a third of the alu for copper it's an obvious status signaling bait.
Copper and alu also means galvanic corrosion, so I'm very sceptical of these pans service life. I see internal delamination and rotted away aluminium in my crystal ball.
>>
>>7588624
is this a meme? am i being memed?
>>
>>7588624

The layers are not equally thick. The aluminum layers are terribly thin. Thinner than a sheet of paper. Their only function is to allow the pan to be bonded together as one solid item. Think of the aluminum layers like "glue" if you like. The aluminum layers are only mentioned for marketing purposes because 5 layers sounds more impressive then 3.

Think of it this way:

The All-clad aluminum core pans have a thick core of aluminum with stainless on both sides.

The copper-core pans have a thin layer of copper with stainless on both sides; the aluminum in these pans is so thin it's negligible.
>>
>>7588636
Only three thousand years old cast iron is meme, anon.
>>
>>7588641
But bonding copper to stainless is no problem. Bonding copper to alu is major no-no. Is that an official explaination, or did you reason that out yourself?
Silver would have made sense as a glue. Not alu. Alu makes sense if you're actually after heat transfer and keeping weight down, and don't care about lifetime much.
>>
>>7588664
Sorry, I did not mean that the aluminum layer was literal "glue", but rather that was a means of visualizing how thin the aluminum layer is in the "5 layer pan".

I found this out a few years ago when I was researching pan construction. I wanted to buy a stainless frying pan with the most thermally conductive core that I possibly could, so I checked out all the various brands including all-clad. I found a website that had literal cut-aways of various pans. They cut apart all-clad pans with a bandsaw and you could see the thickness of the individual layers inside. The aluminum layers were so thin they could barely be seen with the naked eye. I don't know if there was a metallurgical reason for that, or if it's just marketing, or what. But I do know that the aluminum layers were super thin.

And I have used both the aluminum-core and the copper-core side by side. I put a lot of butter in the pans, put them on small hobs, and then watched to see if there was a difference in how quickly the heat spread to the edges of the pans. There wasn't any. They both heated up the same way. The core of the aluminum pans are thicker than the copper core so while aluminum isn't as thermally conductive as copper is they make up for that by using a thicker layer.

I ended up buying a Demeyere 5-star pan; it's aluminum core and even thicker than All-clad.
>>
>>7588624

Mmm good call, I will wait. But now I'm debating whether to wait longer and visit a Mauviel factory warehouse sale. It is in Delaware in november. Could be yuuuuge.
>>
>>7583798
Underrated post holy shit that was witty
>>
>>7588583
Most people who use Linux on the desktop are like the cast iron fags. They like the idea of being a computer expert, they like the idea of being different, but they spend more time rationalizing their choices to others and maintaining their unholy abomination than actually doing anything productive.

Normal people (mac and windows users and people who use stainless-lined aluminum) would rather be getting good results. Neckbeards (cast iron, FreeBSD or the HURD) need to give their empty lives much-needed meaning, by massaging flaxseed oil into pores, and recompiling some garbage they downloaded the source code for that kind of (if you memorize enough command line options) does a shitty job of what some actually useful closed-source commercial software already does a better job of.
>>
File: giphy.gif (635 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
635 KB, 500x500
>>7589480
Realy anon, realy? This is your troll? Let me guess, a single (You) will have you giggling with excitement. Here it is anon, the 4chan equivalent of a mercy fuck. Enjoy.
>>
>>7589502
Thanks!
>>
>>7589480
idc if this is a troll, I agree with it
I used to install low-weight distros onto old laptops when I was in high school 10 years ago. I had my fill of being a l33t comp wiz trying to get a wifi card running through ndiswrapper on Xubuntu.
>>
>>7591080
i really enjoy downloading whatever the fuck I want without much fear of viruses

also I run mint on a chromebook so thats working out well for me
>>
>>7593007
>mint
>security
I have bad news for you, anon
>>
>>7580479
what does deglazing mean in the culinary world?
>>
>>7593010
theyve done a lot of work in the past month
>>
>>7593010
also i had it before all of that shit
>>
>>7593014
To desolve the nice crust that's stuck in the pan after searing or roasting with some appropriate liquid to get at the flavour. Usualy water or wine.
>>
File: 1459276651411.png (660 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1459276651411.png
660 KB, 640x640
>>7583781
i'll just quote my main nigga kenji, as i can't be bothered to throw my own pearls before swine:
>Carbon steel is your best bet. It heats quickly and evenly, is highly responsive to burner input, is durable, inexpensive, and when properly cared for, will end up with a practically nonstick surface.
high conductivity, considering the relative dearth of heat on a home range, is important. on these ranges, you can't toss all your shit in a wok like they do at restaurants. assuming you'll stir fry in batches, cast iron runs the risk of overcooking once the stir fry is finished.

carbon steel radiates heat on a level comparable to cast iron, while being more responsive to shifts in temperature and lighter. what's not to like?
>>
>>7593672
>cast iron runs the risk of overcooking once the stir fry is finished.
Nigga do you not take the food out of the wook when it's done?
>>
slightly unrelated but what does everyone think of electric stove tops instead of good old fashioned gas fires?
>>
>>7588059
My roommate accidentally used metal utensils and scratched the fuck out of it. It still works just like before just as long as I don't use too much heat on eggs.
>>
>>7593704
My preference is a gas cooktop. I have used both and the temp control with gas is instantaneous.
>>
>>7593672

>high conductivity, considering the relative dearth of heat on a home range, is important.

no, it's less fucking important. why would it be more important if you have a shitty burner? a shitty burner means you need higher heat storage.
>>
>>7594151
not the guy you got BTFO by, but he probably means that when you drop a steak into muh cast iron, the cold spot takes longer to recover if the conductivity is dogshit

yes, there is a cold spot, that's how science works
>>
>>7593704
Had a few apartments with them. They're shit, but somewhat manageable.
If I need to change temperatures quickly I'll use two burners on different settings. Also, my coils are always awkward and off-level no matter what I do.
>>
>>7594170

...which is why it makes up for a shitty burner. you preheat it, it has a fuckton of available thermal energy and it loses a smaller proportion of it when you drop a steak into it. steaks are like the go-to argument when making a case for cast iron you absolute helmet.

don't give me that 'how science works' crap when you plainly don't understand it yourself.
>>
>>7588059
Some people know how to look after non-stick

All these horror stories are people bashing them around, using metal utensils, cooking shit on higher than medium heat and stacking other pans on top of it in storage
>>
>>7594246

>cooking shit on higher than medium heat

shock horror, people want to actually be able to cook shit in their pans
>>
>>7594248
>I only use high heat

Found the pleb who can't cook. Back to the fast food topics with you, kid.
>>
>>7594256

when did 'i want to be able to use high heat' become 'i only use high heat'? oh yeah, right about the moment when you gave up on trying to maintain an illusion of intelligence.
>>
Copper/steel for general use
Copper/tin for sauce pans
Teflon for eggs
Heavy aluminum/steel for searing
>>
File: 28897122.jpg (188 KB, 700x875) Image search: [Google]
28897122.jpg
188 KB, 700x875
So I wanna make stir fries, but I have an electric stove, so my understanding is that buying a wok would be kind of memey.

Was looking into stir fry pans, but they all seem to be nonstick which doesn't seem to be the best advice.

Advice, /ck/? Using my cast meme skillet isn't really ideal
>>
>>7594623

any saute pan will do
>>
>>7594623
cast meme skillet, because of heat retention. or get a big non-stick. or better yet, get a better stove.
>>
>>7594623
Nigga just throw shit into a wok
>>
>>7594623
>uses the term "meme" twice
>post animu
Fuck off, weeb.
>>
>>7594627
So should I just reduce heat or something? I feel like whenever I DO make a stir fry, I get hot oil everywhere.

>>7594629
Maybe I just need to git gud

>>7594630
>Wok on an electric stove
NIGGER WHAT ARE YOU DOING
>>
>>7594635

no, keep the heat high. a stir fry is a greasy affair.
>>
File: IMG_20160421_212036.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160421_212036.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>7588059
Well, I just got this today (together with the simple cheapo pot on the right)

I expect the non-stick to last...a couple of months. Fancier stuff was out of my budget so eh. I guess besides the obvious instructions written on it there aren't other ways to take care of it right?
>>
>>7580479
>What's your favorite line of cookware for
>>routine everyday tasks
>>nonstick
>>making stock
>>stews

I use the highest end AllClad I got a few years back for just about everything. I have some beater non-stick I rarely use as well as a two cast-iron skillets - one with grill marks, one flat.

For stocks/stews and sometimes risotto, I have an enamel-coated cast iron dutch oven from Lodge.
>>
>>7595454
just follow these guidelines and you should be ok:
avoid very high heat. hot enough to make oil smoke is too hot for most forms of cooking and too hot for the nonstick coating
avoid metal utensils and abrasives. these rules shouldn't be too hard to follow; the first one is trivial and you shouldn't need to scrub it with abrasives since food doesn't really stick to begin with. in case it does, soak it in water for a while.
no dishwasher, there are abrasives in most detergents that will ruin the coating.
>>
File: laughinggirls.jpg (54 KB, 630x400) Image search: [Google]
laughinggirls.jpg
54 KB, 630x400
>>7595468
>he fell for all clad's marketing tactics
>>
>>7594623
Go to chinatown and get a carbon steel wok. Also get one of those camping stoves (might also get this in chinatown).
Thread replies: 181
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.