[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In places like Japan and to a certain extent, Korea, they look
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7
File: Img0230[1].jpg (2 MB, 7360x4912) Image search: [Google]
Img0230[1].jpg
2 MB, 7360x4912
In places like Japan and to a certain extent, Korea, they look down on people that prefer salmon sashimi to other fishes such as tuna.

This is because they consider it entry-level and plebeian. You probably think I'm shitposting but seriously, go talk to any Japanese fishermen or sashimi enthusiasts.

So, are you a plebe or a patrician?
>>
Supposedly, according to Planet Money podcast, salmon sushi was not done at all until the 90s when it was shoved down everyone's throats by some team of Norwegian MBAs, at which point it was grudgingly accepted as possible although by no means desirable.

Which is odd because I have a clear and distinct memory of eating salmon sashimi in Japan when I was a kid in like 1986. But in retrospect it could have been tuna or something.
>>
B-but I like salmon best ;~; it's so soft and fatty...
Oh well, 'guess I just have to accept that I'm a pleb.
>>
>>7580315
i'd go for salmon nigiri if it's house smoked but other than that i wouldnt pay for raw salmon unless it was super cheap
>>
i like both
>>
I'll eat a tempura philly roll if I want and don't give a shit what they do in Japan.

That said, the idea is that you like fish, and can get a variety of fish when you go out for sushi. Asking the chef what he'd recommend each day is the best way to go. Ordering 5 different tuna rolls is the only thing to be looked down upon.
>>
>>7580345
>don't give a shit what they do in Japan.

This tbqh. Salmon is delicious, and many many countries have a history of eating salmon raw, or near raw. If the Japanese think that over fishing tuna to near-extinction is patrician, fine, but I'll enjoy my delicious ethically sourced fish, thanks.

>>7580315
Also, in korea they don't have 'sashimi' they eat Hweh which is a totally different approach to raw fish. It's as different to Japanese sushi as sushi is to Ceviche or Gravlax.
>>
>>7580315
maybe never had good quality salmon, but prefer tuna, salmon is always super tasteless, but here salmon is normaly from aquaculture unlike tuna
>>
>>7580315
They also think sea urchin is top tier even tho it's basically runny scrambled eggs.
>>
>>7580377

Sea urchin can be great, and runny eggs are the best eggs.

It sounds like you're just a picky eater when it comes to certain textures.
>>
>>7580315
Japan also slathers pizza with mayo and cant into bread and cheese
>>
>>7580381
It's my favorite kind, don't get me wrong. But I'm a poor college student and they think it's for higher ranked businessmen only.

>>7580382
They can into milk tho, weird.
>>
>>7580315

tuna all day every day babe
>>
It's sushi. I'm not picky just keep the eel away.
>>
Raw shrimp and lobster is still the best, no question.
>>
File: image.jpg (82 KB, 600x1040) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82 KB, 600x1040
>>7580492
>keep the eel away
>>
>>7580315
Fuck off weeb piece of shit. Just fuck off.
>>
>>7580389
That much white liquid stirs the nips inner desire for Bukkake.
>>
File: 1388310087741.jpg (2 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1388310087741.jpg
2 KB, 125x125
>>7580742
>>
>>7580315

are you troll, a retard or both?
>>
>I'll have the tempura tendies & fried rice
>>
>>7580315
I don't care if it's pleb, salmon is fucking delicious, cooked or just in plain sushi
It's got just the right amount of fat
>>
>>7582381
Cooking salmon is just a waste of good salmon.
>>
File: baked-salmon31.jpg (121 KB, 555x383) Image search: [Google]
baked-salmon31.jpg
121 KB, 555x383
>>7582392
how?
It's delicious. Especially the black skin part
>>
>>7580320
It makes sense. Salmon do not occur in Japan, really don't make great sashimi, and the Japanese are facing shortages of other fish.
>>
>>7580315
It does taste good, but I will gladly admit that it's pleb as fuck as pretty much the most basic, vanilla type of sushi imaginable.
>>
>>7582600

No it fucking isn't
California rolls or shirmp over rice are
>>
>>7580315
I honstly don't know whether that holds any truth or not, but I can tell you, personally, that I don't care at all for salmon sushi. I like salmon, but there's SO MUCH better fish to eat as sashimi or maki, or rolls, or nigiri. I usually order the chef's special sashimi or chirashi when I go to a sushi bar, and I always request no salmon, please. I save salmon for smoking, or curing, or grilling, that's all fine.
>>
File: eAJWHka.gif (959 KB, 450x254) Image search: [Google]
eAJWHka.gif
959 KB, 450x254
>>7580315

Salmon sashimi is okay, but man I love a good tuna the best.

>>7580492
>not liking eel
>>
I agree that tuna or white tuna is better, but I really enjoy salmon nigiri. So pleb me up senpai.
>>
File: laughing suhsi.jpg (52 KB, 800x400) Image search: [Google]
laughing suhsi.jpg
52 KB, 800x400
>>7582924
Hah! Pleb!
>>
>>7582696
What's vanilla about California rolls? They're embellished with cheese.
>>
>>7583182
What the fuck kind of California rolls are you eating?
Are you confusing them with Philly rolls?
>>
>>7580315
you guys are fucking retards if you think salmon makes for bad sashimi. it's litterally meat butter, I'd say its better than fatty tuna, but fatty tuna tends to have a better firmer texture. Unless you're getting shitty salmon salmon sashimi is going to be one of the better cuts to order.
>>
>>7583241
We're not saying it makes for bad sashimi, my 12 year old friend. Some of us are simply saying it's not our top choice.
>>
>>7580315
You're just making shit up. Maguro and all the different types of tuna are far and away the most popular but every single variety pack has salmon
>>
>>7580724
>>7582726
Eels are critically endangered
>>
>>7583263
Have you considered learning how to read? Those sashimi enthusiasts still enjoy salmon, of course, they just don't consider it the best. It's a well-known sentiment, I don't know why /ck/ doesn't know of this considering.
>>
>>7582392

you haven't had good cooked salmon
>>
>>7580315

I don't care what the Japanese think when I eat delicious, delicious fatty salmon. Very easy to make at home as well.

I also don't care what the Italians think when I cut my spaghetti.
>>
I prefer white fish such as kinfish as well as octopus sashimi, salmon is pleb.
>>
salmon is considered pleb because it's cheap, isn't that incredibly obvious
>>
Honestly, after having visited a few different sushi restaurants, and going to one right on the coast with fresh fish, I find I really don't care for salmon sashimi. Don't get me wrong, it's alright, but it's also pretty fatty and the flavor isn't all that pleasent combined with the rice and seaweed. Add that it's kind of hard to get soysauce on that bitch if it falls off the top of the roll, and I would just mutch prefer some other fish.
>>
>>7583745
>cutting spaghetti
how is it necessary to cut it?
>>
>>7583272
Just means you should eat them before they're gone
>>
I'll practically eat any sushi/sashimi they put in front of me. Unless it looks weird. Only line I will draw. I love me seafood especially fish.
>>
>>7582580
>Salmon do not occur in Japan
false, salmon are native to japan and have been eaten in japan for a long time, they just didnt eat it raw till the 90s
>>
>salmon sushi is a foreign idea introduced by baka gaijins
>nips hate it

this isn't news
>>
>>7580315
Actually, you're mostly wrong. I am currently living in Japan and can attest to how fucking stupid that would sound here. Salmon sashimi and sushi is one of the most wide spread and popular types out there. Go to any super market and niggas be eating that shit up. Sure, in a high class sushi restaurant you will find that opinion, but the common Japanese citizen would tell you to fuck off while they eat their salmon.
>>
Salmon is easily my least favorite out of the usual choices. I don't mind it at all though, and when I'm doing keto its really the only kind of sashimi I can eat enough of to feel satisfied and still get the right protein/fat ratio.
>>
>>7583241
No, Uni is ocean butter, not salmon. Salmon is more like the fish version of raw, unaged wagyu or other fatty, unaged meat.
>>
>implying the two best sashimi aren't chutoro and otoro
>>
Maybe they just have tastier tuna in Japan, but here in my part of Americaland, the tuna is bland. Smoked salmon is amazing though, always get that whenever I get sushi.
>>
>>7580382
>cant into bread and cheese
My breakfast most days is cheese bread from the convenience store what are you talking about
>>
>>7584433
Japan has a poor selection of bread and cheese in general compared to Europe and the Americas.
>>
>>7580377
This comment boggles my fucking mind. Sea urchin tastes nothing like runny scrambled egg. The texture is different too. You are a pleb if you don't like sea urchin.
>>
>>7580315
Traditionally, salmon wasn't eaten as sashimi in Japan because of the danger of parasites/worms. They cook salmon and eat it with rice instead. Only recently with the advent of flash freezing and farmed salmon has raw salmon become parasite free. That's why it is a sashimi staple everywhere but Japan.
>>
>>7580377
speechless
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.