[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Boiled Peanuts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
Whats the deal with boiled peanuts?

Why are they almost exclusively sold by rednecks out of coolers from the back of pickup trucks in walmart parking lots/by the side of the road?

Are canned boiled peanuts any good?

It is worth the effort to make a single serving of boiled peanuts at home?
>>
File: 1459878162600.jpg (40 KB, 431x415) Image search: [Google]
1459878162600.jpg
40 KB, 431x415
I never understood the appeal at first since my only exposure to them was at gas stations where they were cooked in what seemed to be a crockpot full of sludge. One day at a local fair I tried some that were freshly made and they were fantastic, I wouldn't imagine canned are any good in comparison.

Unless you can cook them outside somehow I'm not sure if I would make them at home, they seem to have a "not great" odor when cooking.
>>
It lets the salt get to the inner peanut and past the shell. Also, since every one in the south is missing teeth, it makes them mushy. Mushy and salty is great to southerners. I'm from South Carolina and they sell them at every gas station and intersection and parking lot around here.
>>
>>7578994
I"ve always heard about them, but being a yankee from north east of US I had never had opprutnity to have them until two years ago on a trip to mid-Floriday.

I boughthe, like you said, from some guy selling them in styrfoam container. They sucked. I don't get the appeal.
>>
>>7578994
>Why are they almost exclusively sold by rednecks out of coolers from the back of pickup trucks in walmart parking lots/by the side of the road?

My experience has been the opposite. I travel pretty much constantly for work, always have. 15 years ago I'd only seen boiled peanuts sold in cans at grocery stores. Nowadays, they're on display at every Indian/Middle-Eastern-owned gas station. They're more commonly found in the Deep South than other regions, I've noticed, but it's mostly a foreign thing.
>>
>>7578994
They are a southern thing, I live in NC and I love them but my gf who is also an NC native hates them with a passion even the smell of them turns her stomach. They are really salty and have a soft bean like texture. The canned ones aren't as good as fresh but still pretty fucking good. Shit! I want some now.
>>
>>7579072
>They are really salty and have a soft bean like texture

makes sense considering they are beans
>>
They're addictive but really only when they're fresh and ONLY small valencia/spanish peanuts. Don't even bother with the large hulled shitty kinds.
>>7579072
Man same here, I got some cajun spiced ones on the way to the beach and it was like being 12 years old again.
>>
>>7579088
Is it possible to make them at home?
>>
>>7578994
OP, really good boiled peanuts are using "green" peanuts, not just raw. Green peanuts have a season. They're special. They mold over in just a few days, very perishable after harvesting. They're a yearly treat, in other words, and it's getting harder and harder to get green peanuts in the market. To make them available year round? Raw dried peanuts are also boiled, but it's apples to oranges, the difference. The green boiled peanut has a soft gummy interior meat as well as the immature nuts. They don't take as long to boil, either, 1-2hrs on simmer. They're totally worth it. Just set up a pot on the back of your stove, or set up one of those propane pots, sit in the shade, do your yard work, and relax with your beer and peanuts when you need your reward. They're also awesome chilled down after boiling and parked in the fridge a few days.

I guess you see them sold on the side of the road because they're good driving snack or picnic or game, and truly is a craft food.

Canned are alright, if you microwave them, kind of metallic tasting and overly salty. If you have never ever had one? Go ahead and buy the can. They are indeed a labor of love to make right, so keep your eyes open for the green ones! I dont' when they are harvested, it is just a random treat I spot at Publix from time to time. Expensive too :P Might cost $4 for a little package, or $12-25 in supplies for a big ol pot of them.
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ag194
>>
>>7579090

thanks anon. are you supposed to eat the shell as well?
>>
Country caviar is GOAT. Canned is decent, been hit or
miss with ones I've gotten roadside.
They take a long time to cook if you are going to get the texture right, and get the flavor into the business part. I cook mine for 12hrs or so with salt and mad jalapeƱos. I'm nj born but lived in florida all my life
>>
>>7579080
>>They are really salty and have a soft bean like texture
I liken them to edamame, really. Same kind of mood. It's probably why I like edamame so much.

A boiled peanut will gently squirt the salty liquid that eventually got inside the shells. So, they're fun to pop open, and when taking out the nuts, some people instead tip them back the half of shell to get a little salty liquid with it. You can also go artichoke mode, and scrape out the soft interior of the shell too. That only exists on a green peanut.
>>
>>7579089
Absolutely, I typically buy from this site nuts.com/nuts/peanuts/organic-raw-inshell.html

They're out of stock right now but it's worth it, you won't find a better price for that amount. Just use between 1/4 and 1/2 cup of salt for 1 pound, depending on taste
>>
>>7579096
You can if it's soft enough but not typically, they're mostly there to chew on if the brine was really flavorful.
>>
So if slow is key, would it be a good idea to do them in a slow cooker for say 12hrs?
>>
>>7579096
>thanks anon. are you supposed to eat the shell as well?
No. Even on the youngest peanut, you can scrape out the interior, but should not eat the shell.
>>
>>7578994
1. They're damn good, and a traditional food

2. Rednecks need to make some money and are more native to the area

3. Never had them, only ever had homemade ones or bought ones. My mother was born in South Carolina and knew how to make them. We eventually moved back to South Carolina, so now I can get them whenever they're in season.

4. No. You gotta make a bunch.
>>
>>7579089
yeah but it takes like 4 fucking hours
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.