[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are IPA's so nasty? How can people say they like this trash?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3
File: Fuller's_IPA.jpg (3 MB, 2048x3072) Image search: [Google]
Fuller's_IPA.jpg
3 MB, 2048x3072
Why are IPA's so nasty? How can people say they like this trash?
>>
because its a meme

anyone who actually likes beer knows ipa's are shit
>>
>>7578667
You're a meme, and don't know shit about beer.
Try an east coast IPA, or let a west coast IPA sit for a bit, then drink it. The malt comes out when the beer warms up, giving it a less overpoweringly hoppy flavor.

Personally, I like double/imperial IPA's, but it's something you grow into.
>>
theyre the only beers i can drink, surly furious a best beer.

what about IPAs do you guys not like?
>>
>>7578692

>brewer
>doesn't know shit about beer

that's adorable
>>
File: 1373486701315.png (112 KB, 224x220) Image search: [Google]
1373486701315.png
112 KB, 224x220
>>7578692
>drinking warm beer
>>
Because they're bitter and low on flavor. Try any other beer and you'll see they're much more enjoyable.
>>
>>7578663
Some people like em, others don't. They taste like beer with soap in it to me, to others they taste refreshing.
>>
>>7578663

I recently decided to own the fact that I think IPAs taste like shit. All my Seattle friends got butthurt but I couldn't give two fucks. Why am I spending 7 dollars on a fucking hop salad?
>>
>>7578702
>what about IPAs do you guys not like?

99% of them are just overhopped to fill a trend or to mask brewing imperfections

basically if you fuck up a batch, just hop the living shit out of it and call it an ipa and someone jerkfuck will love it
>>
>>7578706
Making beer in your moms basement doesn't constitute being a brewer faggot.

>>7578707
Not warm, just not straight out of the fridge. Let it sit for five minutes.
>>
>>7578717
what about beers that are actually brewed to be IPAs?
>>
this American obsession with IPAs is fucking bizarre

why not just import some good English ales instead of making that swill?
>>
All beer tastes like shit, so why not drink IPAs?
>>
I don't like them either, but its also nice to pair the right type of beer with a meal. Ales don't go with fish, except for maybe fish and chips.
>>
>>7578717

>to fill a trend or to mask brewing imperfections

One minute you say the market is oversaturated with IPA's and the next you say it's to somehow mask bad brewing (which makes no sense on any planet).

How do you account for the fact that some IPA's are better than others and people have preferences and, oh wait, actually enjoy the style?
>>
>>7578732
I miss being young
>>
>>7578726
Most English ales cannot hold their own against American craft beer. I do love a good ESB, and it is a hard enough thing to find on average that I will give England credit for it.
>>
>>7578726
That's funny, aren't IPAs an English invention.
>>
>>7578743
the English have been brewing fine ales for centuries

some American hipster queers don't just come up with something better over the course of a few months

America doesn't have any kind of beer culture, so I'm sure these IPAs seem very special to you, but they're not.
>>
>>7578749

>america doesn't have any kind of beer culture

That's like saying America doesn't have any fast food culture because there isn't a kebab stand on every corner.

Blatantly wrong, and honestly a bit embarrassing.
>>
>>7578749
this salt is so good
>>
>>7578748
modern American IPAs are just a bastardisation of the original, same thing happens with any type of food or drink that makes it's way over to America. It has to undergo a transformation to become palatable to the American customer.

>>7578755
no, it's like saying America doesn't have any food culture, and you saying they have burgers.
>>
>>7578725

very few actually are

almost all fall under what i said

>>7578740

because they don't understand what constitutes good beer

and yes, overhopping beer to mask imperfections is quite real and one of the major reasons this trend has come about
>>
>>7578749
Thanks for doing all the leg work guys. We've managed to take your century old recipes, and refine them even further. Fun fact, craft beer was being made almost 30 years ago, but it didn't sell and the movement didn't take off. More recently micro brewing made a comeback, and took off unlike before. America has arguably the largest beer culture in the world right now. Literally fucking everything is about making new unique beers, or replicating/improving beers from Europe. IPA's are by no means special, but as a Californian they do have a special place in my heart. I prefer barrel aged barleywines or anything dark most of the time over an IPA though =]
>>
>>7578780
oh wow, Americans are churning out shitty craft beer at exceptional rates, they must know what they're doing.

You give Americans Budweiser to drink for God knows how long, then get them to make craft beer, of course they're going to believe whatever comes out is fantastic. This huge American 'beer culture' is entirely insular. It's not like people around the world are enjoying American beers, you just have a large population of people who've never drank something that wasn't brewed in North America. I mean really, just because Americans make a large selection of burgers and craft beers for themselves doesn't mean they should be praised for fine cuisine or good ale.

And FYI, they're not refining age-old recipes. They're making imitations from scratch and are still trying to figure out the most basic shit. So basically why American IPAs are filled with hops to mask the shitty flavours.
>>
Let me put it this way >>7578760

>In a bar in Berlin
>Getting a Berliner Weissbier in Berlin
>fuckingstoked.jpg
>Bartender tells me "we don't have that now, we're selling American Craft Beer, you should try it, it's great!"
>can you even hear my accent nigger?
>cry myself to sleep at night with tears of freedom knowing American craft beer is imperializing Europe.

True fucking story bro
>>
Because they have the most calories of any type of beer you fat fuck.
>>
>>7578816
yes, Germany literally is an imperial constituency of America, are you surprised?

Literally everywhere else, you'd get a great laugh from anyone if you asked if they served American craft beer.
>>
>>7578809
Where are you even from man? I've personally tried over 2,000 different beers from around the world, and my friend has tried over 5,000. We both agree that what America is doing is seriously better than anything going on in Europe right now. You guys lost your passion, got lazy, and just repeated your recipes. America is a very new country, and yes we've decided to start making beer like the rest of the world. I'd love to know your experience with beer in America, because it sounds like you're just shitting on the U.S. to shit on the U.S.
>>
File: 1456799797593.jpg (279 KB, 999x799) Image search: [Google]
1456799797593.jpg
279 KB, 999x799
>>7578663
Tfw you make a whole thread to tell people that you don't like (food)
>>
>>7578816

And yet we have hundreds of different English, German, and Belgian beers available here.

Once again, yuros are just buttblasted that we have basically everything they have, and 10X more.
>>
>>7578828
Just wait until Stone Brewing opens up over there and it makes its way across Europe. Europe has no idea about American craft beer, and will laugh without actually knowing anything about it. I'm sure you guys will stop laughing when you actually drink the shit and realize you fucked up.
>>
>>7578844

>stone fanboyism

they have like 2 good brews and ruination isn't one of them
>>
>>7578875
You actually interpreted that the complete opposite of what he meant
>>
While some are overpowering and they do all taste the same at certain levels, they've got a strong, refreshing flavor that makes you pace your drinking. I personally enjoy them-- I don't think they're THE best beer, but they're not terrible.
>>
>>7578663
Are you really asking how people can have different taste?

I'd like to know how anyone can be as retarded as you.
>>
>>7578875
I'm a fan of Arrogant Bastard, although I think it cracks itself up to be way more than it is. Their regular IPA is pretty good, but otherwise that's about it.

I had an IPA called "Space Cake" by Clown Shoes. It changed how I see IPAs forever. It had the usual hoppy bitterness, but also an overwhelming cream taste and mouth feel, with no discernible bitter aftertaste. It also had a huge amount of alcohol in it for a beer, between 9 and 11 percent I believe, which was under pronounced. I wish I could find it again.
>>
>>7578663
For some reason, immature people think that consuming things that taste like absolute shit makes them more adult.
>>
>>7579410

And how is that relevant to the thread?

Older people tend to prefer bitter flavors, and are the primary consumers of American IPA's.
>>
The only good beer is hefeweizen. Fight me.
>>
>>7578765
>good beer
You mean your opinion of what makes a good beer?

I love sours but I don't think pilsners are bad beer and that people who like them have bad tastes.
>>
>>7578749
Actually it is because they have access to more ingredients year round, so it does make a difference.
>>
>>7578663

You sound like one of those fags that think everyone is lying when they say they like beer.
>>
>>7578663

Kek, my favorite beer I'ver ever tasted (out of hundreds) is a triple IPA.

Sorry you're too beta to enjoy a metric fuckton of hops :^)
>>
>>7578809

Nice b8 m8, but considering that most beer hipsters are now at the point of having tried literally hundreds of beers from around the world, it becomes quickly apparent which beers are great on a global scale, and which are not.

Belgium makes a hell of a lot of great beers unbested by craft versions of those styles. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the largely boring and staid English beers, which have universally been trumped by more adventurous craft equivalents.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.