[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Camping Food!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7
File: Screenshot_20160416-230453.png (2 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160416-230453.png
2 MB, 1440x2560
Hey /ck/,

I'm going camping this Monday for 3 days with 7 friends. We have one camping stove and pot but no cooler (we're hiking).

What kind of food would you suggest? I bought some basics but plan if stocking up tomorrow. Preferably nothing too fancy and something to minimises times we have to clean the pot.

What kind of foods do you bring out camping?

>pic related, my stuff so far
>>
>>7578268
Custard powder.
You could make a Shooters sandwich
>>
>>7578282
Sheeeit, can't believe I forgot about custard
Cheers
>>
File: cFkzR.jpg (70 KB, 1087x921) Image search: [Google]
cFkzR.jpg
70 KB, 1087x921
>>7578291
Ultimate comfort when it hits that good thickness
>>
>>7578303
I could drink good vanilla custard all fucking day
>>
File: britbong.png (17 KB, 820x890) Image search: [Google]
britbong.png
17 KB, 820x890
>>7578282
>>7578291
>>7578303
How do you eat custard as a sandwich?
>>
File: 1449356612513.jpg (51 KB, 395x418) Image search: [Google]
1449356612513.jpg
51 KB, 395x418
>>7578310
>>7578314
And better yet how do you drink custard? Ain't that shit thick as fuck?
>>
>>7578314
It's for even whiter people than mayo+cool ranch combined
>>
>>7578320
It can be drank if you want to, yeah it's thick but it's still drinkable
>>
File: custard.jpg (71 KB, 435x444) Image search: [Google]
custard.jpg
71 KB, 435x444
>>7578325
>>7578327
As an Amerifat this what I think of when I hear the word custard.
>>
>>7578335
Ah that's not the shit I'm on about, I'm talking about the stuff you can pour over puddings

I had no idea it could be so set?
>>
File: Samplify.png (60 KB, 825x781) Image search: [Google]
Samplify.png
60 KB, 825x781
>>7578335
We Britbongs hear "pudding" as a synonym for dessert or I think of Angel Delight.
Those are those annoying caramel yogurts with the foil tabs to drink the sauce
>>
>>7578335
American and I think of that as flan
>>
>>7578335
That's flan.
>>
File: pudding.jpg (42 KB, 600x500) Image search: [Google]
pudding.jpg
42 KB, 600x500
>>7578339
I'm even more confused now because when I hear pudding I think of this.
>>
You will still want cool stuff on the trail. What I would recommend is starting with this:

bagels
cream cheese (keep it cool in a iced tub)
cookies
eggs (keep cool as well, but they don't go bad very fast at all)
stuff for making sandwiches (meat, mayo, pbj, jam)
water purification materials you HAVE TO HAVE THESE, seriously don't neglect that if you value your life
bread, obviously
trail mix, preferably lots of it
plan each meal. You'll probably want something like eggs in a bag or oatmeal for breakfast, sandwhiches for lunch, and instant rice or noodles or simple burritos for dinner
these are all stuff we have in america, I don't really know where you're from but I'm guessing european so maybe none of these foods transfer

I recommend this guide too
http://www.backpacker.com/skills/beginner/fast-food-a-backpacker-s-guide-to-grocery/

don't bring actually most of that stuff, it looks more like snack food. Actually all of it looks like snack food lol

I have a good amount of experience with backpacking and cooking while on the trail, so I'm not just making this stuff up

also on the side make sure you have a knife and a backup knife, flashlights and extra batteries, whistles, clothes anticipating for lots of types of weather, some type of sleeping pad with your bag
>>
>>7578345
Always just assumed flan was a Spanish word for custard.

This thread has lead me to the conclusion that I shouldn't order my own food if I ever go to Britain because I won't get what I'm expecting.
>>
>>7578347
I'm thinking sticky toffee pudding and stuff like that
>>
>>7578350
Awesome, thank you!
>>
>>7578350
Cook the eggs, hard boiled eggs can last and are great
>>
Btw what about MREs? Its perfect for hiking
>>
I suppose I should break my shitposting combo chain and post some advice. Gonna be a little hard since I don't know what is and isn't easy to find in Britain.

When I used to camp more often and when we had a stove available I'd usually bring along some hearty stuff for breakfast. Sausage and eggs, that type of thing. No cooler for you though...

Oats are probably a good bet for carbs, and for protein I'd go for either some canned meat or some dry sausage/jerky.

You could also make//buy some trail mix. Not sure if they have it in the UK. It's just a mix of a few kinds of nuts, raisins, and other dry foods. Usually some M&Ms candies are in there too, but that's generally regarded as pleb-tier trail mix. Sunflower seeds and banana chips are good ingredients. The idea is high protein and moderate sugar for quick energy. Damn tasty too.
>>
>>7578419
Anon could make some trail mix flapjack type things.
Shame that Jerky isn't economically viable in the UK it's like £5 per 100g
>>
U.K. here....

I would try to keep salt and sugar at moderate levels.

Peanut cookies.
Boiled eggs.
Bananas.
flapjacks (oat, butter and syrup bars)
A bread... I like fresh tortillas.
You could bring a resealable bag of grated cheese to eat with the bread.
You can get rice noodle nests/pots that only require hot water, no boiling.
Raisins.
Nuts.
Whatever fruit.
Avocado.
Milk/dark chocolate.
Uht milk carton.
Couscous or instant couscous packet.
>>
>>7578268
Wild mushroom and fish
>>
Does anyone know if these things are good for storage? Implicitly for camping? I don't want to pack up all the condiments and such in their full sized packagings.

Is it something anyone is familiar with?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322069442896
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.