[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I got 1kg of minced beef whats your best bolognese recipe?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: img_7981.jpg (2 MB, 3428x1957) Image search: [Google]
img_7981.jpg
2 MB, 3428x1957
I got 1kg of minced beef

whats your best bolognese recipe?
>>
>>7577108
>onion powder
>garlic powder
>canned tomato sauce
>1 cup of canola oil
>>
>>7577108

>1kg

How many people are you feeding with that america?
>>
>>7577160
>>implying americans use the term "minced beef"
>>implying americans measure their meat in kg
>>
>>7577164

>implying americans use the term "minced beef"

It's not uncommon for people in the USA to cook with minced turkey or chicken if /ck/ is anything to go by. Or did you mean they'd use the term 'ground' instead?

>implying americans measure their meat in kg

Younger ones do in my experience though admittedly the only ones I've had direct contact with in a kitchen setting were from California.
>>
>>7577178
>Or did you mean they'd use the term 'ground' instead?

That. The poster is clearly not American or he would have said "ground beef".

Also while Americans are familiar with Metric measurements, it's virtually unheard of for shops to sell food in metric units. Standard means of selling ground beef in the US would be by the pound, not by the kg.
>>
>>7577181
a pound and a kg weight the same u tard, it's just different names
>>
File: 1460165304962.jpg (40 KB, 500x525) Image search: [Google]
1460165304962.jpg
40 KB, 500x525
I gave your mother 1kg of minced beef

she seemed to know about going below her knaays
>>
Browned beef and pork, finely chopped/minced carrot, celery and onion, beef stock, red wine and simmer for like an hour then season. Optional: garlic, red chili (whatever kind you like), a chopped tomato or two for texture, herbs (rosemary, oregano or thyme), a pinch of MSG.
>>
>>7577108
>Onion
>Celery
>Garlic
Fry it till fragrant
>Add the mince
>brown it with the veggies
>Add a can of diced/crushed tomatoes
>Half a bottle of whatever red wine you like
>Optional: a splash of balsamic vinegar
Let it simmer for 1 hour - 45 mins. The bolognese is done when not it's not runny in consistency anymore
Serve over any pasta you like with liberal amount of parmesan.
>>
>>7577181

Thanks for the explanation anon.
>>
>>7577188
Oh and tomato puree too.
>>
>>7577192
>browning beef with veggies
Yeah that's not gonna work.
>>
>>7577203
why not?
>>
>>7577192

>Let it simmer for 1 hour - 45 mins. The bolognese is done when not it's not runny in consistency anymore

This is probably the most important single tip you can get. If you're unsure leave it longer (it really won't suffer for even twice as long as that anon suggests). Nothing is worse than watery bolognese on overcooked pasta. On that note spaghetti a shit. Personally I prefer the shells (Conchiglie) but use whatever one you prefer.
>>
>>7577207

Not him but if you want to get the beef properly brown you're likely going to burn the onions and, more importantly, the garlic.
>>
>>7577207
i brown the mince first, then set it aside and add it back in later.
>>
>>7577207
Because to brown something you want your pan screaming hot and not too full so all the meat can touch the surface, cook quickly and form a nice crust. I'm thinking by "browning" you mean cooking until it's grey and not very hot, which is a good way to end up boiling your meat and losing flavour. If you meant it the same way I did, your garlic amd onion will be horribly burnt.
>>
>>7577208
Spaghetti is one of the worst for bolognese I think. Tagliatelle is OK but I agree that shells are good.
>>
>>7577228

Pretty much.

OP I'd also fry whatever (smoked) bacon you can get your hands on first and use the remaining fat to brown the mince. This alone improves it.

Obviously an Italian type of bacon is best but it doesn't have to be that.
>>
>>7577108
Roast halved tomatoes with olive oil and garlic and pass through a sieve.

Finely dice or grate 1:1:1 carrots, onions and celery; sweat until softened a little.

Season and brown half (or all if you prefer) of your mince.

Mix everything, add a cup of dry red wine, bring to a low simmer and cook for at least 3 hours, stirring occasionally.

Add cream and basil, season to taste and cook for another 10-15 minutes.
>>
Try Heston's in search of perfection recipie. It's not an easy task but the results are the best bolognese I've had. And I've had a lot of it in italy
>>
>>7577207
Because the steam from the cooking vegetables will hinder the browning process. To brown, need oil, hot pan, no steam. Also why you don't crowd a pan when browning (steam can't escape).
>>
Thanks bros

in the end I settled for chef John as always

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMj8lNdFqV8

>no garlic
why
>>
>>7577192
roast the meat seperately in the oven then add before the tomatoes. Also add a good bit of fresh thyme and a bay leaf or two.

I like to add carrot as well as the celery, onion and garlic.

Bit of tomato paste and a pinch of sugar also makes a surprising difference while its cooking as well
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.