[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did you know this? lobster was considered a mark of poverty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: lobster.jpg (95 KB, 604x464) Image search: [Google]
lobster.jpg
95 KB, 604x464
Did you know this?

lobster was considered a mark of poverty or as a food for indentured servants or lower members of society in Maine, Massachusetts, and the Canadian Maritimes, and servants specified in employment agreements that they would not eat lobster more than twice per week.[31] Lobster was also commonly served in prisons, much to the displeasure of inmates.[32] American lobster was initially deemed worthy only of being used as fertilizer or fish bait, and until well into the 20th century, it was not viewed as more than a low-priced canned staple food.
>>
>>7576881
>Water is a chemical DHMO LMAO
>Did you know that in the olden days BEER was safer to drink than WATER OMG OMG SO RANDOM holds up spork
Have you considered suicide?
>>
>>7576881
Yeah, before modern refrigeration/controled water tank technology and in areas where there was an excess of lobster.
They weren't getting a fancy fresh lobster dinner with clarified butter and a lemon wedge, it was sup-par leftover shellfish that was probably at least partially spoiled and since we're talking about prisoners here the preparation likely amounted to boiling everything till it was tough as rubber to try to hide the lack of freshness.
>>
>>7576928
>there was an excess of lobster

why were they even bothering to catch them?
>>
File: 040107-F-0000S-002.jpg (353 KB, 907x1053) Image search: [Google]
040107-F-0000S-002.jpg
353 KB, 907x1053
>>7576881
Not all lobster is good. On a lot of military bases overseas they have a steak and lobster day each week, and it is absolutely disgusting.

You usually break down and eat it though. Being in the desert for 6-8 months fucks with your palate.

Pic is not me btw.
>>
Did you know this?

Lobster spoils almost immediately after it's killed, which is why it's one of the only foods we cook alive.

People feeding prisoners back in the day and peasants collecting them off the beach did not know this. They were eating most likely overcooked, underseasoned, spoiled shellfish.
>>
>>7578169

I always wondered why they fed us that shit. Was it supposed to boost morale? I know that shit isn't fresh. I'd rather have a nice homemade loaf of bread.
>>
Yeah, we all know that.
Doesn't matter nowadays, it's delicious, especially when butter-poached.
>>
>>7576928
They actually grinded the lobster for prisoners... Including the shell.
>>
File: IMG_0144_thumb.jpg (128 KB, 620x493) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0144_thumb.jpg
128 KB, 620x493
>>7576881
>"Haha, wow! Cool factoid, anon"
>"See? My brother's great!"
>"Heh heh, yeah..."
>>
Snow crab tastes less like street runoff and has a nicer, less shrimpy consistency.
>>
>>7578169
>Oh hey you're Asian you'll love this lobster

Fuck me, I just want to eat something decent why are you feeding me old seafood?
>>
>>7579082
If I had a sister we'd be living together as husband and wife and making babies with flippers for arms
>>
>>7576939
They were plentiful but when I say excess I mean the portion of the catch that is too sub-par or old to sell to anyone as food besides prisoners.

>>7578169
Rock/spiny lobster is often called lobster and passed off as the superior varieties and of course freshness is key which is what the prison lobster lacked.

>>7579074
But it's just too tempting for people to ignore that meme about "s-see lobster isn't really that great and I didn't want it anyway!".
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.