[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
mason jar
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7
File: 1436934292512.jpg (78 KB, 618x349) Image search: [Google]
1436934292512.jpg
78 KB, 618x349
mason jar
>>
If anyone handed me that, I'd push it 6 inches away with my finger tips, fold my arms and look away.

What a pretentious, mess.
>>
File: 1453385424248.jpg (43 KB, 332x396) Image search: [Google]
1453385424248.jpg
43 KB, 332x396
>If anyone handed me that, I'd push it 6 inches away with my finger tips, fold my arms and look away.
>What a pretentious, mess.
>>
What the fuck are those?

For starters, the staff there probably hate cleaning that shit up.
This stuff will probably kill me and now I have caramel on my goddamn coat sleeve.
>>
File: 1460744337878.jpg (34 KB, 640x638) Image search: [Google]
1460744337878.jpg
34 KB, 640x638
>>7575370
>that picture is 6 years old
I wonder if those guys have changed.
>>
I hate this, I hate looking at this picture.

Who the fuck is this intended for?
>>
Very original image, and thought provoking commentary, OP.
>>
>>7575360
A U S T R A L I A
>>
>>7575395
Fat chicks. Tumblr is full of stuff like this.
>>
>>7575360

I bet one of those costs at least $20.
>>
>>7575446
I was thinking pinterest
fuck that site
I'm never signing up
let me look at that shit with out pledging my soul
>>
HOME CANNING IS A SKILL EVERYONE NEEDS TO KNOW. Also everyone needs to know about "meals in a jar", dry mixes where you add water. No pressure canner required.

Mason jar crafts can be incredible, too. I've been wondering if it's possible to /diy/ an incandescent lightbulb complete with filament and vacuum... still haven't figured out a way to do it legit, I've only found instructables where they use a real lightbulb and put it inside a mason jar.
>>
>>7575384
I swear I've seen him taking the bus around my city. It looks exactly like him and he dresses the same way.

If I'm right: no
>>
>>7575360
More like meme jar hehhe am I right or what
>>
>>7575530
Where do I start anon? My family used to do pickling and such but we haven't in over a decade. I really like the idea of home preserves.
>>
>>7575530
>>>/pinterest/
>>
>>7575368
>pretentious
I don't think that's an accurate description.
More like, disgusting.
>>
>>7575360
>want some ice cream
>contemplating going and buying some
>see this
>no longer want ice cream

Thanks for saving me some change OP
>>
>>7575671

Get a pressure cooker that can hold lots of jars, and a few tools for it. Cans and lids obviously.

To make it worth your while you'll also need large enough pots and pans to cook a lot of food quickly.

You buy a ton of meat when it's on sale, out of season, etc for as cheap as you can with coupons and whatnot.

Then you use it to make a TON of stews, chili, etc and preserve them. It'll pay for itself eventually and you'll eat better and healthier than buying canned goods.

You can do the same with vegetables, buying at farmers markets, sales, etc but where home canning really shines is when you have a garden.

In my opinion fruits are best preserved by dehydrating them. If you have the cash, freeze drying ensures maximum nutrient retention.

Making fruit leather is great, too. Those pack up efficiently, last awhile, and take up no space.

If you can buy milk cheaply in bulk from dairy farmers, making hard cheeses and waxing them is the best way to preserve dairy products because age makes them better.

I'm no expert by the way, I'm just an enthusiast.

>>7575673

I CAN'T FIND ANYTHING LIKE A REAL MASON JAR LIGHTBULB THERE EITHER. And pinterest is about making decorations. Being able to make a lightbulb from scratch is literally a bona fide skill.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3019) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3019
>>7575360
Cat cafe I went to served the shakes and frappes in cat food jars
>>
>>7575841
Shit anon that sounds fantastic. Unfortunately I'm living in a small apartment in the city so a garden is out of the question, but I do go to the farmer's market often. I'll look into all this.
>>
>>7576301

Vacuum sealing things is great, too. Excess meat you buy for cheap will store great in a freezer vacuum sealed in Mylar bags. If you truly want to be a prepper, buy 50 pound bags of rice, beans, etc a vacuum seal them with a dessicant. They will last ages like that. Ages. It's the best way to store jerky and fruit leather, too if you keep them in the freezer. Fruit leather is great for buying bulk fruit about to go bad and you can make banana bread from bananas getting overripe, freeze that, and it'll last a long time too. Learning to make proper salami is a good skill also, it can last years at room temp. Or you can vacuum seal it and freeze it and eat like a king on red beans and rice if SHTF.
>>
>>7576373
Anon please my heart can't take it. What's the best place to start? A dehydrator maybe? The fruit leather sounds very appealing.
>>
>>7575360

There IS such a thing as presentation, goddamn, man.
>>
>>7575853
cat cafe?
>virgin asylum detected
>>
>>7575360
Worst fucking trend.
>>
>>7576382

Learn to cook like a poor person first. Save all fat. You can make a roux using fat and flour, cook it and add flour until no more will mix then add milk and whisk until creamy. Then if you want gravy for biscuits, add sausage, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes if you want it a little spicy. You can take that roux and just salt and pepper it to top chicken fried steak. Add bacon/pork fat to cornbread, too. Save all that fat, it'll keep well in the fridge. Fry eggs in it. It's amazing. Learn to eat things you'd usually throw away. You can dry and blend egg shells to add to bread. Great nutrition there. You can take that fat and make a roux then add cream, milk, salt and pepper and make Alfredo sauce. You can also can your meatballs, too. Never cook rice in water, use broth. You can color the rice with things as well, like turmeric for yellow. I love cooking my rice in chicken stock. Those leafy bits at the end of celery are amazing in soups. Learn all the tricks of the trade while you're at it. I've never rehydrated beans in stock/broth but I'm sure it's great. Remember, water imparts no flavors. Want table wine for 60 cents a bottle? One clean two liter with a 12 ounce can of 100% grape juice concentrate with a cup of sugar mixed in. Buy packets of wine yeast around 50 cents each, one packet can do 5 gallons which is like a dozen two liters, which is two dozen 750ml wine bottles. For 50 cents each. Leave the lids loose enough for air to escape and wait a month. Boom.

Learn the tricks, and eat like a fucking king. Throw away nothing unless it's spoiled.

I typed up like 5000 characters and I was gonna copy and paste but... the tab crapped lol

I'll post some more,
>>
Actually I won't. Not sure if my last comment is there... It's weird.

Flour, salt. water, yeast, and a little sugar.. boom. Your basic bread. Add rosemary and its Italian bread. No need for a bread pan, artisan style. Make bread dip with olive oil and cracked pepper. Spice it up with balsamic vinegar, cracked red pepper, sun dried tomatoes, that's an amazing dip. whatever really, it's flexible.

Make bread sticks by making Italian bread and flatten into a rectangle, then cut with s wet knife halfway through. Sprinkle any Italian cheese or cheddar across the top and cover that with a light dusting of Italian seasoning. Boom, breadsticks. That easy.

Save money and eat like a king, use your savings to buy future equipment that'll help you save even more money by preventing your food from spoiling, actually filling you up and giving you energy, and ALWAYS buy on sale or use coupons etc. Look for new grocery store openings, they have tons of coupons out. Go to apartment buildings mail rooms, they will have a trash can FULL of coupons of every sort.

Just learn a few tricks and save big bucks. You honestly don't save much money canning your own food unless you buy, cook, and can in bulk. However your home canned food will be healthier than tinned stuff from the store.

You can actually make jerky in your oven, but I wouldn't trust it with fruits and veggies.

For some reason I suspect the rendered fat recipes I'm suggesting are healthier than the fats in store bought canned food... but I'm not sure if that's substantiated. You can use that fat for everything, probably even make your own BBQ sauce by adding ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, etc.
>>
Use that fat in bread too if you want to save eggs for other uses.

A little playing around with it and you'll get it. A few recipes here and there and you'll save so much cash you might not even want to bother with preserving.

Use stale bread in soup, like the bread on top of French onion soup. Use it for croutons lol

Whenever you have ground beef, add a shit ton of bread crumbs and milk to it. Leave a little more fat in it and add an egg. Amazing meatloaf and it'll stretch out your meat consumption and get rid of any stale bread.

All kinds of tricks dude.

I told you about using bacon fat in cornbread? Godly. Bacon fat is a great butter substitute.

And most people throw it out.

So many uses, man.

The best tricks teach you how to salvage stale food or food that's about to turn.
>>
Making your own cheese is a goodie, too.

I think lemon juice can be used as a rennet substitute, and the leftover whey can be used to make bread instead of water. Amazing bread I've heard, but if it goes stale I'd be hesitant to salvage it.
>>
>>7575853
Two fucking hundred Baht?!?
I used to live for a day with that money..
>>
You are all fags
I would eat the shit out of them
Literally I don't understand your arguments for this being a fucking bad thing, if there's one
>>
>>7575490
not just having a throwaway facebook account.
>>
>>7575370
>pretentious

the yupster hybrid jet set has moved on to post mason jar storage at this point but you tried
>>
>>7575368
If someone put that in front of me I'd eat it because I'm not an arsehole.
>>
File: iu.jpg (279 KB, 1200x799) Image search: [Google]
iu.jpg
279 KB, 1200x799
>>7575853
so tired of cat cafes. it started with a couple places but now every fucking one has to open a cat cafe and act like it's their original idea

>>7575360
reminds me of this ice cream shop in my city, pic rel
>>
>>7576878
It's a thailand one, so it's one of the good original ones rather than a shitty western one
>>7576758
I was surprised with ow expensive thailand can be. Eating at Thai McDonald's can cost more an going to a fairly nice restaurant, prices seem disproportionate.
>>
File: Norm's.jpg (104 KB, 736x981) Image search: [Google]
Norm's.jpg
104 KB, 736x981
>>7576878
Dog bars are way better than cat cafes.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (641 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
641 KB, 2560x1600
>>7579005
>three dozen dogs all giving you "the look" waiting for a crumb to drop

No thanks bruh
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.