[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Deep Frying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6
So I got a deep fryer for my birthday - what should I fry in it first?
>>
>>7574296

make crab rangoon. shit is dope.
>>
>>7574296
A Twinkie. Or ice cream.
>>
>>7574299
Do this and post pics
>>
If the oil temperature is too high just put a few ice cubes in the oil to cool it down.
>>
Just go to the frozen aisle of the grocery store and buy all the shit that is never as good in the oven (fries, tater tots, pizza bites, White Castle burgers, frozen pizzas, etc) and go to town.

Most things you can just throw directly in while still frozen and they'll come out restaurant quality tier.

Also get some won ton wrappers and make whatever kind of wraps you want, like crab rangoon like the other anon said, or buffalo chicken wraps.
>>
>>7574316
Thanks anon, I'll try that.

I make damn good fried chicken but I've always just pan fried it. I'm excited to try things like fish tacos, crab rangoon, churros, fried cookie dough...
>>
Soy loco por los cornballs!
>>
File: frikandel.jpg (102 KB, 400x298) Image search: [Google]
frikandel.jpg
102 KB, 400x298
pic related
>>
>>7574316

a small personal fryer at home should turn out much better than restaurant quality.

most restaurant oil even in nicer places only gets changed once a week at best (sometimes might go for 2 weeks...)
>>
File: mushroom2[1].jpg (246 KB, 1600x1030) Image search: [Google]
mushroom2[1].jpg
246 KB, 1600x1030
fried mushrooms
french fries, and not shit store-bought shit I mean actual cut up potatos
>>
>>7574310
Apply kill to the self
>>
File: tumblr_lutgdezrv11r51v3fo1_400.jpg (46 KB, 400x437) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lutgdezrv11r51v3fo1_400.jpg
46 KB, 400x437
>>7574310
This is a bad idea...
>>
File: trapdoor.jpg (19 KB, 500x387) Image search: [Google]
trapdoor.jpg
19 KB, 500x387
>>7574367
I recognise that mushroom.
>>
File: 1448267181615.jpg (45 KB, 550x400) Image search: [Google]
1448267181615.jpg
45 KB, 550x400
>>7574310
>>
>>7574362
That surprised me the first time I heard that. The restaurant I work at changes the oil and clean the fryer every day.
>>
>>7574497
You work fast food.
>>
>>7574497

>changes the oil every day

Do you have a just a small, one basket type fryer? Changing the oil every day is pretty extreme.

I'm only surprised when I hear about places that don't filter the oil at the end of every night, which is pretty fucking gross.

Changing the oil once or twice a week, depending on the load, is perfectly fine as long as you filter it.
>>
>>7574497

i worked in restaurants for 4 years. every single one of them filtered the oil (usually, sometimes they just said fuck it) daily and used it for at least a week before tossing it. the shit was basically black and smelt like shit by the time they stopped using it.

i mean theres nothing unsanitary about it but theres just a ton of burnt flour that accumulates in it after days that can't really be filtered out and makes the food taste/smell shittier.
>>
>>7574519

>sometimes they just said fuck it

If I opened to find the oil not filtered I'd go straight to the schedule to see who closed and make a note to bitch slap them the next time I see them.
>>
>>7574524

it was pretty rare and only happened on days with really low volume (worked in the mountains and it would snow like fuck and we would close early). filtering after busy days is pretty mandatory or that shit is gonna catch on fire/fuck up.

even with filtering and proper cleaning that shit ends up looking/smelling really shitty around friday/saturday night and is noticeably lower quality.

having a nice little small fryer at home like OP would be nice but when i eat out i never eat fried shit anymore because ive seen the other side.
>>
Can someone explain to me the advantages of using a deep fryer instead of just deep frying in a wok or saucepan?
>>
>>7574559

You turn a knob and it goes to the right temperature and regulates it automatically. Also comes with a basket that maximizes space and makes draining easy. You can also store oil in it until it needs to be thrown out.
>>
>>7574559
Depending on the size of the fryer, you could potentially fry more stuff at a time in a deep fryer. Also, the convenience of pressing a button or turning a dial to set the temperature instead of using a thermometer and constantly adjusting the heat.
>>
>>7574296
I got used to deep frying by frying pork and chicken cutlets. Nothing to write home about, but it was crazy easy, good leftovers, and gave me a good feel for it. From there, make some real fried chicken and you're golden.

Croquettes and scotch eggs are pretty delicious too, especially if your fryer is as small lookin as the one you posted

>>7574559
Woks and saucepans hemorrhage heat like a motherfucker, making it hard to maintain temp after you add whatever you're frying. I use a dutch oven to fry and it keeps up like a champ.
>>
>>7574514
Actually it's a pub and grill kind of place in a nice area near my city.
>>7574515
The fryer we have can fit 2 baskets. It's about a little less than half the size of our flattop grill. We do not filter our fryer as far as I'm aware of. I'm not the one who cleans it.
>>
>>7574759

The oil has 4 times the specific heat as the cast iron. Cast iron will help a little maintaining temperature, but only a little.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.