[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rice Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8
How do you cook your rice?

Fried
Soup
Baked
Sake
Steamed

What recipes or do you use it for?
>>
File: confuddled.jpg (1 MB, 2121x1414) Image search: [Google]
confuddled.jpg
1 MB, 2121x1414
>sake
>>
White, sticky, sided with beans.
>>
>put x cups of rice in rice cooker
>put x cups of water in rice cooker
>turn on
>wait
>masturbate
>cook some other food
>done
>>
>>7574188
good rice has to be washed first.
>>
I like mine boiled and long grain
>>
>>7574189
whoops forgot about that
>put x cups of rice in rice cooker
>wash rice until water is clearish
>put x cups of water in rice cooker
>turn on
>wait
>masturbate
>cook some other food
>done
>>
>>7574170
>pay 30$ for 15lb bag of short grain cause you can taste the difference
>wash it gently
>put in rice cooker
>eat
>>
Can I hijack this thread to ask how do you cook shortgrain rice like nishiki without a rice cooker?

Ive tried cooking it on the hob and it never comes out like it does from the rice cooker.

I would use a rice cooker but it broke.

I have tried rinsing it relentlessly but it always comes out overly starchy.

The only time I managed to get good results was by putting the pan in a oven but it was a huge ball ache and took ages so I'm looking for a simpler method.
>>
File: sake rice wine.jpg (188 KB, 600x295) Image search: [Google]
sake rice wine.jpg
188 KB, 600x295
>>7574183
>>
>>7574188
>>7574193
That tells us nothing at all. What type of style is your rice? Are you overcooking it to make it pasty, are you making it al dente and making it very fluffy for fried rice?

>>7574203
PROTIP: learn about thermal cookers (haybox cooker, Thermos, etc) and cook your wet foods like rice using something like 80% less energy/fuel/money.

I just cooked 2/3s cup of dry rice in my DIY thermal cooker. I merely brought the rice and water to a boil and chucked it into the insulated cooker after breakfast. At lunch I opened it up, all the water was gone and the rice was fully cooked. Some people use their vacuum insulated thermos bottles, but Thermos actually makes a line of thermal cookers. If you have a cardboard box, some towels/old clothing/packing peanuts/hay/etc for insulation, you can make your own thermal cooker.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_cooking
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haybox
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=DIY+Thermal+Cooker
http://www.ecothriftyliving.com/2015/01/the-dos-and-donts-of-assembling-diy.html
http://frugalbychoice.blogspot.com/2013/10/diy-thermal-cooker.html

You can make one of these in just a few minutes from household stuff you already have. Like a laundry basket fully of towels. I personally wrap mine in a layer of heavy duty aluminum foil. Rice never ever sticks to the pot using these. All you need to do is learn how long you should "cook" it for in the thermal cooker. Once you learn that, your golden and can make perfect rice every single time.
>>
>>7574217
It asked how I cook my rice.
If you wanna now how my rice turns out and what rice I use ok:
I use two types of rice depending on the food, for the most part I use Tilda Long Grain Basmati Rice, which I make a tad al dente it has a nice smell on it's own and you could eat it just like that.
Good for curry or with meat and sauce.
If I cook asian (mostly Japanese) I use short grain round rice(?), milk rice in germany, usually you make desserts outta it or shit but I wash it throughly and cook it because it's stickier.
It goes well with fod you eat with chopsticks has no taste of its own though but is cheap as shit ~90 cents a kilo the basmati rice is like ~4,80 a kilo
>>
>>7574212
No, no, I know what sake is. Just never heard of using it to cook rice before.
>>
File: zo.jpg (17 KB, 736x183) Image search: [Google]
zo.jpg
17 KB, 736x183
Zojirushi micom fuzzy logic rice cookers are kinda pricy, but they are worth it.
Perfectly cooked rice every time. Every fuckin time.

protip - you can throw some 1 part steel cut oats, 4 parts water in there (with a touch of vanilla extract) and set the "porridge" timer to coincide with your alarm clock so you have perfectly cooked oats right when you wake up.

but yeah
>>7574189
>>7574193
>>7574197
like they said - you gotta rinse that shit first.
>>
I keep four types of rice on hand always: long grain, pearly (sticky rice), instant and Eurasian short grain.

Each one needs a different method of cooking.

Most recently, last night, I cooked up a pilaf. That can be made with short or long grain, but I used long grain because short is much expensive. Proper Central Asian pilaf is made by parcooking rice in boiling water, then draining and rinsing before either layering or mixing with the other ingredients and finishing in the oven or on the fire.

I keep instant rice at work and cook it in the microwave with dried and/or frozen veg, tomato juice and stock powder.

Pearly rice is similar to Japanese short grain. I actually think they're the same thing, but not sure. I steam that one.

The short grain I buy is for risotto and is supposed to be for pilaf, but I don't use it for that because it's much more 'spensive.
>>
File: 1459903799558.png (310 KB, 1426x1259) Image search: [Google]
1459903799558.png
310 KB, 1426x1259
>>7574236
It is a joke you moron. As in, "I don't cook rice, I drink it".
>>
File: wut.jpg (148 KB, 620x375) Image search: [Google]
wut.jpg
148 KB, 620x375
>>7574248
Woah.........
>>
>>7574188
>>7574193
>>7574197
>>7574238
see
>>7574187
>>7574191

Fried
Soup
Baked
Sake
Steamed

Which is it that you do? Not step by step guide to your pedanticism about rice cooking.

I prefer mine sticky or for fried rice. I occasionally make puffed rice.
>>
>>7574170
Put rice on a pot, and 2 times the quantity of boiling water, lid on, lower the heat, 13 minutes, turn off the heat and let it rest for 5 minutes. wa la, got rice.
>>
>>7574270
>got rice.

What kind? Does anyone on /ck/ actually know anything about rice beyond "how cook egg" level?
>>
>>7574188
My way:
>put X cups in a pot
>put 2X cups of water in a pot
>1 tablespoon of salt
>1 spoon of oil
>lid is not on pot
>heat until the water going a little down below the rice
>put the lid on and let the rice cook for about 15 minutes
>>
What difference does it make to rinse the rice before cooking it?
>>
>>7574170
I only eat basmati rice
>>
>>7574411
It removes the starchy dust that is generated by the rice grains rubbing together during shipment. That makes the resulting rice less sticky. It also helps prevent the water from boiling over & making a sticky mess everywhere.
>>
>>7574432

TLDR: there is no point in doing it. shit tastes the same
>>
>>7574432
uh... what if I want my rice to be sticky shithead?
>>
File: DSCN3563a.jpg (614 KB, 2052x1528) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3563a.jpg
614 KB, 2052x1528
>>7574432
>>7574411
Rinsing rice is only for polished rices. Whole grain rice (like what you get from Lundberg brand) that isn't polished, shouldn't be rinsed because it doesn't have rice dust on it from the polishing process. This will also help retain water soluble vitamins.

>>7574438
It is about texture. If you want a nice sticky rice then you don't need to rinse it. But, if you want a very fluffy rice you should rinse it, as it will make the process easier.

>>7574217
>thermal cookers

Here's my setup. It is a normal cooler filled with towels. The pot is set on a sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil then wrapped up in the foil. The towels are folded over it and completely surround it. Then the lid gets put on the cooler and the egg timer is set.

This is 2/3 cup of rice cooked with 1 and 1/2 cup of water. The rice and water were put together in the pot and the water brought to a roiling boil then quickly placed into the thermal cooker for 30 minutes. This makes it a slightly sticky, which is what I want for the sweet rice dish I'm making.

I love this thing, it is great for so many things and I never have to worry about the pot scorching. I think mine uses more insulation than most people's DIY thermal cookers so it doesn't take as long to cook the food.
>>
>>7575473
Then you would choose short grain rice.
If you don't want sticky rice, cook long or medium grain.

>>7577234
>>Rinsing rice is only for polished rices.
Correct. But most rice is polished.
>>
>>7577247
>Correct. But most rice is polished.

I'm not sure how that adds to the conversation.
>>
>>7574283
long grain rice, something you should be able to guess given the cooking and resting time newfag
>>
>>7577253

It makes the exception mentioned by >>7577234
largely meaningless because 99% of the posters here are cooking with polished rice.
>>
>>7574170

in a rice cooker. i only fry leftover rice, though i love leftover fried rice.
>>
3 cups rice
4 cups chicken soup base
2 cups water
some garlic/onion
>>
File: 1377482340275.jpg (19 KB, 427x245) Image search: [Google]
1377482340275.jpg
19 KB, 427x245
Spicy risotto anyone?
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.