[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Favorite Foreign Spices (Things you miss from the old country)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: Orange-Blossom-Water.jpg (47 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Orange-Blossom-Water.jpg
47 KB, 500x500
American born to immigrants. I love this shit

>What are some other spices, foods, any special food item that reminds you of home <whatever home that be>
>>
My family used to make Portuguese style fermented pepper sauce every year but we haven't in over a decade. The store bought stuff is good but it isn't the same. I've been pressuring them a lot to do it this year.

There is nothing in this world I love more than a fatty pork chop marinated in that pepper sauce for a day or two.
>>
>>7573355
Is this something from the Indian trade? Sounds interesting how do you prepare a sauce?
>>
File: 20160415_025122[1].jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160415_025122[1].jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>7573362
It's been years but if I remember right we'd just get a fuck load of peppers, grind it up with one of those hand grinders, that would take the better part of a day. Not sure what spices and such they'd add to it but I know there was a lot of stuff in there. Put it in barrels and let it ferment for a long time. I think you need to stir it every day during that process. We haven't made it since I was a kid so I'm not too keen on the details. It's likely we'll make it this year though with all my nagging, maybe I'll post the results.

This is the closest I can find in stores. It's really fucking good but again, nothing beats home made stuff like that.
>>
>>7573368
very interesting thanks anon. I buy it if I happen to stumble upon it :^)
>>
>>7573355
Why don't you just ask for the recipe?
>>
>>7573384
Mum is stubborn and likes to teach in person. It's fine, I convinced two friends to help me make the stuff. We'll split the bill and split the sauce.
>>
Indians really like to add that rose water to their biryanis, i never could find that.
>>
>>7573303
go back home
>>
Sup fellow diasporafag

Chinese American here. I live by myself now and although I only know how to only cook and eat western food, I make everything with chopsticks. They're just easier to use for everything.

>Tfw reheating sausages and peppers with chopsticks
>>
>>7573395
>Indians really like to add that rose water to their biryanis
Not so sure Indians do it, I always thought it was a Middle East thing.
>>
>>7573395
>>7573455
Yeah I agree definitely middle eastern. Check out middle eastern grocers I just bought some rose water
>>7573409
I am home. I always lived in the US and have a US passport.

>corned beef is great
>go back to Ireland potato nigger

>>
Siracha. Can't get enough of that stuff!
>>
>>7573303
While I may be from america to begin with, this will always remind me of good Louisiana cooking throughout my life
>>
>>7574059

Here in Baton Rouge there are alot of Lebanese immigrants.

Those that have started Lebanese restaurants here serve a Louisiana immigrant concoction called Lebanese tea. It's iced tea with lemon juice, a bit of orange juice, sugar, rose water and pine nuts. It's like a immigrantized Arnold Palmer. Fucking delicious to be desu.
>>
>>7574071
is this better than old bay seasoning?

I used to live in NOLA, amazing food
>>
>>7574072
Really? I bet they are Christians?

(My parents came from Syria, although not religious we made a lot of Lebanese friends)

That sounds delicious.
>>
>>7574059

The bar I manage has this. I mix lime, lavender simple, two dashes of orange bitters, and ONE drop of this stuff. Add ice and soda water and I drink them all shift.
>>
>>7574122
It's very similar, just a bit spicier.

Though all the Cajuns I know look down on that stuff and prefer to make their own, or buy various local brands.
>>
Mom and dad are Austrian, they moved to US of A

We make some pretty delicious goulashes, rum tortes, red cabbage, schnitzel
>>
>>7574128

Yeah most of them are Maronites that's fled the civil war
>>
>>7574131
Only one drop? Man, must be potent.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.