[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I recently bought 30 pounds of hams. They were on sale. I don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: ham.jpg (6 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
ham.jpg
6 KB, 275x183
I recently bought 30 pounds of hams. They were on sale. I don't usually cook ham but this was a hell of a deal.
I'm about to go shopping and I want to pick some stuff up to prepare them with. Due to poverty I only have a slow cooker and a hot plate to cook with.
Any suggestions on what to do with one of these hams?
>>
Who the fuck buys 30 pounds of ham?
>>
how long will that last you op?
>>
>>7572098
It was like 70 cents a pound.

>>7572105
A long time, months probably. Assuming I'll only eat it now and then because I don't want to get fat.
>>
>>7572098
Paradoxically, poor people, apparently.
>>
soak them in water several times to get the shitty brine out.

slice and fry with eggs and potatoes and make redeye gravy

hambone soup

splitpea soup

generic stews

salsa and cumin for texmex pork, cook in the slowcooker until it will shred.

cockaleeki soup with ham instead

roll out some dough and make fried dumplings with ham and onion.

fritatta

ham quesadillas and sinchronidizas

ham sandwiches

ham and cheese toasties
8 bean soup

feijoada

pound slices thin and roll around wildrice and mushrooms, and fry

ham and egg sandwiches

ham and onion sandwiches

hamburgers.

that's...that's about it
>>
>>7572086
>>7572086
I recently made a half-ham and mostly I ate it straight up with maple syrup poured over it. The sweetness and savory flavors are god-like.
Pro-tip: If you want to heat up leftover ham in the microwave - and don't want the edges to get all dry and overcooked - put a wet paper towel over the slices of ham your re-heating. The damp paper towel will keep the ham moist and juicy.
>>
>>7572173
$21 for 30 lbs of meat? sounds like poor person heaven.
>>
>>7572188
>>7572199
Thank you anons. I bought some ingredients for soups and such. Bought some nice buns for sandwiches too.
>Soak them in water several times to get the shitty brine out.
Is that why it's salty as shit? I mean it's still good but it's a bit salty for my tastes. Like I said I almost never eat ham.

>>7572203
I meet up with mum on the weekends for grocery shopping. She had to physically stop me from buying more.
>>
>>7572086
Easiest would be split pea and ham soup. Fry up mirepoix, fry up ham, all the while slow cooker on high for the peas until they disintegrate, then just shove it in with some chicken paste and adjust the seasonings.
>>
>>7572432

yes cheap ham is injected with brine that partly cures it, but it doesn't help the flavor at all. soak in water for 30 minutes and its improved
>>
>>7572454
Good thing I bought some dried peas while I was out. What is chicken paste?

>>7572547
Makes sense. Appreciated, the salt pretty off putting.
>>
>>7572086
What does 30 pounds of ham look like?
>>
File: 20160414_222246.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160414_222246.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>7572771
A few pounds are out defrosting and I already ate about half of one, but about half a freezer full. It's a lot of meat but not as much as you'd think.
>>
>>7572188
>Hamburgers are made from ham.
Everything else on that list is a good idea, though.
>>
>>7572771
ask ur mom
>>
>>7572809

it's from Forrest Gump you dip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhfK98f5S00
>>
>>7572879
Oh yeah, I had forgotten that movie.
I should watch it again this weekend.
>>
>>7572188
> hamburgers
>>
>>7572113
Holy shit, what a deal.
>>
>>7572930
Life is like a box of caramel cubes, you may get into sticky situations, but it's sweet none the less.
Life is like a box of broccoli, it's bitter and awful.
Life is like a box of rape, it's pretty cheap.
>>
File: 5000232825391_T1.jpg (22 KB, 185x185) Image search: [Google]
5000232825391_T1.jpg
22 KB, 185x185
>>7572753
This, apparently. Looks revolting desu.
>>
File: il_570xN.703382453_m7wu.jpg (29 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.703382453_m7wu.jpg
29 KB, 500x375
>>7572086
I hope you have freezer space anon, because you just fucked yourself if you don't. Other people are calling you an idiot, but I do this all the time. This is what you need to do op. Ham is good for basically 2 things, 3 if you like sandiwches, but 3 is only really good for as long as the ham stays fresh. and we're freezing it.

The first thing you'll want to do is go with mexican sauces, chipotle, verde, basically any mexican or tex mex sause you can think of, cube up some ham and stew it into it. you wont want to add extra salt or stock to this untill afterwards if the recipe demands it, because the ham is usually really fucking salty, and that means a salty sauce to begin with. put this over spanish rice and you have a perfect cheap meal every time since rice is so fucking cheap, or you can wrap it in burritos with your desired fixing and freeze and reheat them later ready to eat.

The next thing is to understand that ham if its salty can basically be used like bacon. Make italian pastas like carbonara but with diced ham instead of pancheta, make corn beef hash with ham instead of beef. make pasta salad, make pork and beans, split pea soup is also amazing with ham. breakfast sandwiches will work, as well as any hot sandwich. it can be thrown sliced into ramen, as some school cafeterias do in japan in place of charsiu. use it in fried rice, try a ton of different recipes, and normally, if the meat isn't used to make a sausage, it will come out okay. theres always the old standby of ham steak, but you probably already knew that.

Ham is salty and smokey, so use that to your advantage, if you ever run out of ideas, i really recommend giving the tex mex another go. it goes a long way for money, especially when you supplement with dry beans and rice. if you like spicey food, cajun fixens will work well as well.
>>
>>7575778
See
>>7572778
>>
>>7575792
holy shit you have like no room in there.
>>
>>7575751
Life is like a box of boxers. They have brain damage and want out of the box so they can get coke and hookers. they know only murder.

cinnamon life is pretty good though! check that shit out!
>>
This thread fucking blows you didn't even say how much the hams were.
>>
File: destruction.jpg (737 KB, 2863x1830) Image search: [Google]
destruction.jpg
737 KB, 2863x1830
>>7572086
>I recently bought 30 pounds of hams
>30 pounds of hams
>30 FUCKING POUNDS OF HAMS

OP do you own a deli? What is your problem?
>>
>>7575817
>didn't even read the thread
>complaining about inane things
Anon, please. PLEASE.
>>
>>7575775
Weird. I made some nice pea soup without it. Thanks for the directions. Eating it now and it's very nice.

>>7575778
>>7575792
The freezer space isn't much of a concern.
I'll try some of your suggestions, thanks. So basically just use it as a (nearly) all purpose salty meat? Well that's good, because I have a lot of it.

>>7575958
Better to buy 30 pounds of cheap meat now rather than 4 pounds of cheap meat now, then 26 pounds of expensive meat over a few months.
>>
That's a lot of fucking ham for one person... Use a lot for soup, freeze it. Assorted sandwiches for some. The rest just cube it and make whatever the fuck you want.
>>
>>7572098
Do you have a refrigerator, or is it going in the cellar?
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.