[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has /ck/ heard of ChefSteps? What do you think of them? They
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2
File: chefsteps-logo-h.png (4 KB, 405x100) Image search: [Google]
chefsteps-logo-h.png
4 KB, 405x100
Has /ck/ heard of ChefSteps? What do you think of them? They have some pretty interesting videos imo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxD2E-bVoUbaVFL0Q3PvJTg
>>
I am viscerally disgusted by people who can't learn by reading words on a page, and chef steps is a prettier, moving version of "vertical infographics how to cook 2 am chili" garbage shitposts.
>>
>>7570546

then read the recipes on their site you cunt
>>
>>7570546
Whatever dude. You'll thank sweet baby Jesus, it tastes like touchdowns.
>>
>>7570546
You're a fucking retard.
>>
>>7570544
one of the best food channels on youtube.

some other good ones are cookinginrussia, bruno albouze, gianni north beach, foodwishes is good sometimes, eater/munchies have some good stuff sometimes.

cookinginrussia and chefsteps probably my favourite.
>>
Quite a solid channel. Their production value of their vids is insanely high and the recipes are not only delicious, but they teach good technique and allow for improvisation. I've made more than a dozen of their dishes and every single one was a success.

Standout recipes - buffalo wings, baked beans, indoor ribs, Creme brulee, homemade ranch
>>
>>7570544
hipster shit.
>>
Probably the most meme cooking outlet there is but they got that Valve money so high production value.
>>
>>7570546

The recipes are just a synopsis of the subscription content on their website.

If you really held that stance you'd know that.
>>
>>7571177
>Valve money
what?
>>
>>7571190
Gaben is an investor.
>>
>>7570544

If I had a shit ton of cash I'd buy their company and rename the channel/show to Cooking with bull preppers.
>>
>>7570544

looks really memey

>dude waffle irons lmao
>le funny brisket guitar
>that arm sleeve tattoo on the splash page

no thanks amigo
>>
>>7571834
Food itself is good, the people are hipsters
>>
The Pacific Northwest Hipster vibe really kills it.

>Fucking 5 days for a Peking duck
>>
>>7571849

i don't like it when they come up with really idiosyncratic procedures optimised for their specific set up. it bugs me. but most of the time what they do isn't like that, and you can learn a lot of generalisable stuff from their very in-depth breakdowns.
>>
>>7571064
>>7571846
>>7571849
Fuck yeah man. Fuck those status seeking, urban Seattle twenty-somethings that stay on top of moderately non-mainstream trends. That's definitely a sociological category that I feel comfortable making fun of due to a negative stereotype that in no way trivializes or misrepresents their interests or motives.
>>
I preordered that sous vide thing they're making and it came with a free premium account. I kind of want to give out the password so that people on /ck/ can check out the site but I know it's just going to get abused and I'll have to reset the password eventually and lock you out because of some dipshit who changes it and ruins it for everyone else.
>>
File: 1454556454975.jpg (75 KB, 497x576) Image search: [Google]
1454556454975.jpg
75 KB, 497x576
>>7572017
>>
>>7572327
just make a scraper and upload their shit somewhere
>>
>>7572017
Seriouseats did a better job and in less time.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/09/the-food-lab-how-to-make-peking-duck-at-home.html
>>
>>7572652
I thought /ck/ hated them because they had a guy with a weird name who the flyovers couldn't quite figure out how to cram into a racist pigeonhole and dismiss all of his ideas due to never having considered the possibility that two people from different countries might fuck and create a baby.
>>
>>7572675
You thought wrong. Maybe a couple of people were trolling but I doubt most of the board has a problem with Kenji. He also used to work for ATK.
>>
>>7572327
>I preordered that sous vide thing
Have fun with that when your phone/tablet dies.
>it came with a free premium account
It's like... $20 for all the classes.
>I kind of want to give out the password so that people on /ck/ can check out the site
Dude... the site has tons of free shit. More free shit than paid for shit. Don't be that guy.

Lots of great content. Once you get over the hipster faggots, it's an excellent resource. Chris Young (who is the behind the scenes non-hipster) helped develop the menu at The Fat Duck (?) with Heston Blumenthol (sp?).
The content is legit.
The list of recipes I've used from the website is long. Couldn't begin to list them.

Cons:
Not a lot of an online presence for help. Comments on recipes (questions) go unanswered.
A lot of method in the recipes, but not enough teaching. "Why do I need to use both sodium citrate AND sodium hexamataphosphate when making 'melty cheese'?"
>>
>>7573404

>Have fun with that when your phone/tablet dies.

you can sync it up with a different one dude
>>
>>7573605
The biggest failure for it (don't get me wrong, I WANT to love it) is that it doesn't have manual controls.
>>
>>7573404
>A lot of method in the recipes, but not enough teaching.
Agreed. If I remember correctly they were involved in the making of Modernist Cuisine? I guess alot of the techniques are explained there. Too bad it costs a fortune...
>>
>>7573625
I'm afraid this guy is right. I preordered it too and I know I'll be using my Anova way more often because of this.
>>
>>7570586
Cookinginrussia is excellent.
>>
>>7573645
Yes, Chris Young is a co-author.
You can torrent it. It's not the same as a website that has videos though.
>>7573781
I do like that it is small and has a magnet at the base. Maybe they get enough requests and version 2 will have manual controls.

And to put a point on it...,
>"Why do I need to use both sodium citrate AND sodium hexamataphosphate when making 'melty cheese'?"
I've made it plenty of times without sodium hexametaphosphate (sp). I want to know why they list it as an ingredient.
>>
Go shill your channel somewhere else, faggot
>>
>>7573404
they had a sale today for $12
>>
>>7576202
Nice
I paid for 2 classes in the last couple years ($20 total) and they gave me the rest of the classes when they changed the price. I don't regret it. I've got my money's worth.
>>
>>7570544
I've been subscribed to Chef Steps for a little while now and noticed they started cooking everything they made sous vide, then I noticed they are selling their own sous vide product. Am I watching an educational cooking channel or a product placement.
>>
>>7573404
I wanted to get their product too, but I was skeptical, did you look at other sous vide machines also? I also find the why's of cooking just as important as the how's that is why I love americas test kitchen they explain everything.
>>
>>7576663
>Am I watching an educational cooking channel or a product placement.
That unit came out recently. The site has been up for a few years.
>and noticed they started cooking everything they made sous vide
Fuck off back to the challenge thread with your yellowmug "trolling". It's not trolling, it's just shitposting that everyone sees through. You're not clever. You're transparent.
>>
>>7576302
same here man, their macaron class in top notch and now I get macarons that are the same quality as the expensive hipster macaron shop near me.
T

They made a class on cooking without using a sous vide and It's an amazing technique that I use on a regular basis when I don't have the time to sous vide my food.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.