[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>MWAAAAH THEFRENCH Does it matter to you where food is produced?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 300x300
>MWAAAAH THEFRENCH

Does it matter to you where food is produced? And, more specifically, can foods like gorgonzola, mozzarella or sake only be genuine if they are made in their region or nation of origin?
>>
File: 1408630296077.jpg (42 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
1408630296077.jpg
42 KB, 300x450
It depends on if the flavor change is noticeable.
Yes they can be genuine
>>
File: patty roll.gif (2 MB, 500x324) Image search: [Google]
patty roll.gif
2 MB, 500x324
Apart from parmesan cheese (wood filler, anyone?) I don't really care where foods are made.

>be me
>work in italian restaurant
>owner serves second best of everything
second best parmesan cheese
second best olive oil
>customers can't tell the difference
>owner saves a lot of money
>>
>>7570292
hell, he could probably serve the second worst of everything and at least 65% wouldn't notice
>>
>>7570193
>Does it matter to you where food is produced?
You only have to look at the catalogue to see that Americans are the worst at this . . .. they are obsessed with favourite brands of mass produced blandness.
>>
>>7570292
>>7570337

wrong; italian food is trash if you don't use good ingredients. italian food is ALL about the ingredients.

also, the wood pulp is there so the cheese doesn't stick together. you'd know this if you had actually shredded and stored cheese before.
>>
>>7570193
Yes. I try to get most of my fruits and vegetables locally from farmers markets or grow them. If I have to buy them at a store I prefer USA organic fruit and vegetables.
>>
>>7570348
>you'd know this if you had actually shredded and stored cheese before.
Why would anyone ever do this?
>>
>>7571181
Exactly. That's what I was going to ask.
>>
>>7570289
All food is the same, it tastes fine to me. What matters is my shitfood is made by other flyovers as long as they have a German-sounding name
t. WIDF
>>
>>7570193
Agricultural products produced in the traditional manner strongly reflect the region where they are produced. Wine made in hot sunny climates will generally be fruiter and higher in alcohol than that made in cooler places. When cows graze on summer grass their milk is different than when they eat silage in the winter, and makes for different tasting cheese. Locals learned this kind of stuff hundreds of years ago, and developed regional foods that reflected this.

Thus it only makes sense to protect the names of local products produced in the traditional way from industrially made versions that are a pale reflection of such products, albeit cheaper and more widely available.

But anyone anywhere in the world working in the traditional manner under similar conditions can create an accurate version of these products. Could you make a California Chardonnay that actually tasted like Chablis? If you were lucky enough to find a vineyard with the right soil and climate you definitely could. But California wine labeled Chablis ain't that - instead it's just cheap jug wine.

At first it seems like protectionism, but in most cases it's fucking quality control. AOC and DOC designations make sense in a world where second and third rate industrial products threaten the image (and sales) of traditional products that just happen to be among the best foods we've come up with. Because these industrial copies are not produced with the same quality of ingredients, nor the same methods but they're selling on the name of products that have established themselves as marks of quality for centuries in some cases.
>>
>>7570193
Product of origin bro. Bufala mozzarella from Italy is great, Greek feta etc. You can go for knockoffs, but in most cases the real deal has to be made a specific way. Some US mozzarella is ok, a lot are mass produced shit though, all US domestic feta sucks balls and throw in Bulgarian. The french make a great feta, but it's a creamier version and they can't legally call it feta when sold in the EU.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.