[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whats the deal with bagels? never had a bagel before because
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 10
File: bgel.jpg (4 KB, 258x196) Image search: [Google]
bgel.jpg
4 KB, 258x196
Whats the deal with bagels?
never had a bagel before because they arent popular in australia
are you meant to toast them and eat them warm?
what do you put on them?
>>
grew up jewish so bagels were a thing

lox (cold smoked salmon) and cream cheese bby
>>
>>7570075
You get the main idea, toasted and/or served with spread, which is generally cream cheese.

>>7570081
Jew here as well, lox/nova is the shit
>>
You can use them as your bun in sandwiches. Bacon, egg, and cheese on a bagel is so fucking comfy.
>>
>>7570075
I like them toasted with tea to drink.
>>
File: o.jpg (96 KB, 747x1000) Image search: [Google]
o.jpg
96 KB, 747x1000
cream cheese

Not to much

just enough

time to die
>>
I like to toast them and apply butter and eat with a cup of tea.
>>
>>7570075

Cold stale bagels with shmear.
>>
Real bagels are untoasted, never a fruity flavor like blueberry/cinnamon, always boiled, and shmeared with at least 3/4 inch of shmear. Lox optional.
>>
>>7570081

not a jew here but that with some roe is great.
>>
File: 1435294824354.jpg (81 KB, 600x538) Image search: [Google]
1435294824354.jpg
81 KB, 600x538
>schmear

when did we decide that this word was okay
>>
>>7570776
the word is "smear"
>>
>>7570776
When the kikes invaded NYC

Oy vey
>>
>>7570075
>>7570164

What's the deal with plain cream cheese? I'll be honest I fucking love flavored cream cheese, but I'd rather just use butter than plain cream cheese.

Pic related. Only some of many. My favorite is a sundried tomato cream cheese.
>>
File: cre.jpg (64 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
cre.jpg
64 KB, 500x333
>>7570831
Mother fuck. Pic.
>>
Either room temp with butter or toasted with hot sauce and sausage
>>
>>7570776
How can you talk Jewish food, especially Jewish food identified with NYC and not use a few Yiddish words here and there? Even Gentiles pick up Yiddish words in NYC, and plenty of folks still speak it.

>>7570075
It's boiled before it's baked, which gives it a crust similar to a pretzel. The Rumanian style popular in Montreal is even better, because they bake them in wood fired ovens, which given them a richer flavor. Regardless that crust allows them to stand up to a substantial amount of cream cheese, often topped with smoked fish (or no cream cheese and just whitefish salad). The result is a meal substantial enough to last the average person for half a day, making them popular for weekend brunch. And the addition of a luxury product like good smoked fish turns the pedestrian bagel into something special. Other common additions include onions and capers, a slice of tomato or scallions in the cream cheese.

The only time you see them toasted is when people have them with butter instead of cream cheese, and purists look down on this.

>>7570117
A buddy of mine used to always order bacon, egg and cheese on a bagel from delis. He was a non-observant Jew, so he called the sandwich the "Self Hater".
>>
File: Happy Merchant.gif (11 KB, 501x585) Image search: [Google]
Happy Merchant.gif
11 KB, 501x585
>>7570075
There jew only food goy
>>
File: Jew caught in a lie.jpg (11 KB, 197x250) Image search: [Google]
Jew caught in a lie.jpg
11 KB, 197x250
>>7570788
Oy Goy Shut It Down
>>
File: Kaisersemmel.jpg (223 KB, 600x526) Image search: [Google]
Kaisersemmel.jpg
223 KB, 600x526
>>7570075
Is there any difference to a Semmel? [spoiler]I guess it's called a roll in englishlands[/spoiler]
>>
>>7571274
In the Northeast US those are called Kaiser rolls. Not much like a bagel. Bagel is about the same size, but closer to a bretzel in chewiness and texture.
>>
>>7571286
Ah, okay. Being an austrianfag, I always wondered what's the deal with bagels. They don't look like something special, but people always seem to praise them to no ends.
>>
>>7571274

Very different. The unique thing about bagels is that they are cooked by boiling them in strongly alkaline water. This gives them a very different texture than most breads.
>>
File: Laugengebäck.jpg (248 KB, 640x442) Image search: [Google]
Laugengebäck.jpg
248 KB, 640x442
>>7571309
So they are a bit more like Laugengebäck/Lye rolls? Maybe not exactly the same, but sort of?
>>
>>7571294
Imagine a large pretzel that's soft on the inside. Now put cream cheese and smoked salmon on it. Think how the ritual of going out for that for brunch, or picking up a dozen of them to bring home and assemble yourself with the family on the weekend could become such a thing that it's popular with people who aren't even Jewish. Without the fish it can be a workday breakfast, but with it becomes a splurge.

In Australia meat pies and sausage rolls kind of fill the same role - something pedestrian you'd pick up at a bakery that can get splurgey if you feel so inclined. You guys have more straight up UK influence, and less Eastern European and German Jews.
>>
>>7571339
>a bit more like Laugengebäck/Lye rolls?

I've never had those, but after looking them up yeah, it sounds similar.
>>
>>7571369
>In Australia meat pies and sausage rolls kind of fill the same role - something pedestrian you'd pick up at a bakery that can get splurgey if you feel so inclined. You guys have more straight up UK influence, and less Eastern European and German Jews.
>Australia
No anon. I meant Austria. Not Kangaroos and Koalas, but Mozart and Schwarzenegger. I don't think we're influenced by the UK either. More like Germany, Czech, Hungary and Italy. And of course some stuff of our own.
>>
Prezel insides isnt quite right. Bagel insdes are crumbly-er, with a sort of a rougher denseness than a pretzel.

OPs bagel has that swirl in it, which gives the impression they are twisted. They arent like that usually afaik.
>>
>>7570117
Porkroll egg and cheese m80
>>
Listen here for a discussion of toasting bagels:

http://www.sporkful.com/page/2/
>>
>>7571004
>the self-hater
Lel. Loads of delis have beef bacon around which I think I might find even better than pork bacon.
>>
>>7570081
>>7570094
>>7570768
Nazi here, you guys finally got something right
>>
>>7571339
I guess more similar. Just go eat a fucking bagel you faggot, they're delicious.
>>
>>7571274
>>7571274
That looks like a nice Brötchen
>>
>>7570075
Do you live in bumfuck? Coles has these even.
Cities have bagel shops. Go try one. They're just like bread but slightly different and more chewy.
>>
Grew up in NY, pretty much everything the Jews in this thread said
>>
So it's just like... bread?
>>
>>7571469

Only if they are crap. Fresh bagels should have a nice chewy center, not a crumbly crummy center.

If you eat Thomas's GTFO
>>
>>7572129
Yeah. But bagels are boiled before they're baked. A lot of traditional Jewish food is incredibly basic, like Amish food.
>>
get a fresh everything bagel with plain cream cheese. This is the generally agreed upon "perfect bagel" by anyone who isn't a fucking retard.
>>
>>7572227
>take food
>add schmaltz
perfect
>>
them and bagel rolls are god tier for dipping in cream soups. thats all i use them for
>>
>>7570075
>>7570831
Hi, Mr. Seinfeld.
>>
What makes pretzels dough and bagel go apart?
>>
>>7570075
Jewish donuts
>>
>>7572996

Lye/baking soda
>>
>>7570081
Is that a Jewish thing? I thought it was Nordic/Swedish thing?
>>
>>7573347
Norwegian here, we would never combine salmon with creamed cheese. Bagels are delicious though, i just wish i could get proper ones here and not just frozen shit. How hard are they to make yourself?
>>
>>7570075
It's New York Jew food.

They try hard to advertise them on TV here in Britain but to be honest, they are meh! We have much better bread products to choose from, so they remain in plastic bags.
>>
>>7572015

you mean aside from the superior money management?

no wait fuck me we pinch pennies on everything except bullshit that doesn't matter like TVs

wait our hell-free religion is pretty dope tho
>>
>>7570075

Personally, I like to toast an onion bagel and I will use loads of herb crime cheese, smoked salmon, red onion, dill, capers, black pepper and a little lemon juice to make something spectacular.
>>
I asked my Australian friend and he said everyone he knows eats bagels for breakfast
>>
>>7573559
Aussies suck fuck them and they're faggot bagles
>>
File: why.jpg (16 KB, 300x199) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
16 KB, 300x199
>>7573563

What do you have against me?
>>
Like most baked items, need to have it fresh. Toasted is not traditional, although of course toasting is better for day old bagels & cream cheese.
>>
>>7573568
I Said You Suck Shakin My Head Can't U Read Nigga
>>
File: Beagle-4.jpg (259 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Beagle-4.jpg
259 KB, 1600x1200
>>7573574

But I'm just a beagle
>>
>>7570075
Just had a couple banana bread bagels. That shit was straight cash. Toasted them just a tad and used strawberry cream cheese.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.