[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do any non-fit people here use protein powder? I'm thinking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 8
File: scoop.jpg (1 MB, 1628x1085) Image search: [Google]
scoop.jpg
1 MB, 1628x1085
Do any non-fit people here use protein powder? I'm thinking of picking up a thing, just to put in oats and pancakes and whatever else. It's supposed to keep you full longer or something, seems kinda neat if you're cheap and or lazy.
>>
I'm a fitizen and actually don't use protein powder at all. It's shit and I'd much prefer to have more meat or eggs or something
>>
its tasty with milk
>>
>>7566441
on a cut isnt it better cause its calorie minimizing? supplementing the benefits of actual food with vitamins?
>>
I keep some around. Some brands are kind of tasty if you blend them enough. I don't cook with them, but I'll have a bowl of cheerios or corn flakes with a protein shake instead of plain milk.
>>
>>7566456
Stop doing this. Your body is not a yo yo.
>>
>>7566464
but it is fat... i need it to be not fat.. i wont bulk after/if i get lean again

at most ill have a slow controlled workout over years

depression smashed me and i became fat and now im trying to fix it
>>
Eat cottage cheese instead. Protein powder is absorbed quickly and doesn't do much. The Casein in the cheese takes longer to break down so you get more protein over time and probably feel more full. Sometimes I just buy a container and eat the whole thing for lunch, it comes out to like 320 calories and 54g of protein.
>>
>>7566498
Do you just eat it plain?
I bought some but I can't really stand to eat it plain so I put a drop or two of hot sauce on a big spoonful.
>>
>>7566441
>>7566464
>>7566498

you are literally retarded
>>
>>7566521
Fruit works well. Pineapple is best, but lots of sugar.
>>
>>7566456
yes
>>
>>7566534
That sounds nice, actually. I'll give it a try. Thanks anon.
>>
Most people who take protein powders are idiots who buy into the whole lifestyle. Seriously, why are 90% of the people in gyms complete morons?

If you're cutting or bulking or just working out there really is no need to use this shit if you have a good diet. A good diet is much more important to get the effect you want, whether it's to build muscle mass, get leaner or maintain, working out should always be second hand. The fucking meatheads don't understand this.

Worst example is my neighbor. She's mid-20s and her face is completely covered in pimples. So is half her body from what I've seen (creep? not really). She has a really shitty diet from what I found out from her, but I see protein powder boxes thrown out by her all the time...
>>
>>7566542
Yep. In college and was in a fraternity. Literally everyone ate like shit, but had tons of preworkout supplements and whey powder and shit. I think they all did it to fit in. That shit is expensive too.
>>
>>7566542
Diet doesn't have much to do with acne. Some people are just cursed.
>>
>>7566433
I eat some every morning with oatmeal. I can't stand the taste of plain oatmeal, so I cook the oats with milk, then add in a scoop of chocolate protein powder, a spoonful of cacao powder, and a pinch of cinnamon.

I don't really eat it because of any health reasons, it's just that I used to eat Ovaltine until I realized how much sugar was in it, so I figured this was a decent replacement.
>>
>>7566587
You could get the same effect much more cheaply without the protein powder. Nobody consumes protein powder for the flavor. The chocolate flavoring is only there to hide its flavor, so if you're not looking for the protein just stick to using flavoring.
>>
>>7566521

Try fresh berries for flavor with less sugar than fruit.
>>
>>7566605

>Nobody consumes protein powder for the flavor

Just got my order of grass-fed whey, gotta say that it's actually pleasant even with water. It tastes just like milk.

Definitely going to try to bake with it, I've read you substitute a quarter of the flour for whey.
>>
File: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.png (25 KB, 816x1056) Image search: [Google]
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.png
25 KB, 816x1056
>>7566433
I did in the past, when I liked to have cookies and ice cream for a meal. Now I eat only *whole* plant foods most of the time. Protein isolate really isn't healthy. If you're not a bodybuilder, it will just make more work for your kidneys for no benefit.
>>
>>7566675
That seems like a terribly boring diet, anon.
>>
>>7566677
No it doesn't. Those are extremely broad categories.

Well, too many beans, maybe, but other than that.
>>
>>7566677
I don't just eat those things on their own. I make a small effort to sometimes have most of those in my food.
>>
>>7566456
Technically substituting the protein powder with spinach, eggs, meat, beans, cauliflower and broccoli is better because you also get more vitamins and minerals.
Protein powder is a meme. You could just eat egg bread with liverpastè instead.
>>
>>7566675
are these...ratios? how the heck do i read this
>>
>>7566433
It's not supposed to keep you full. That's something both a lot of non-lifters (and even a lot of newbie lifters) don't get. The point of whey protein is 1. convenience, and 2. to NOT keep you full.

You use whey when you don't have time to cook. A quarter pound of (raw) chicken breast is infinitely more filling than 30 grams of whey powder. If you're a hungry skelly trying to gain weight, but you're too full to eat more protein, then whey is for you. If you're a fatty trying to feel MORE full, then whey is NOT for you.

>>7566542
And you're just retarded.
1. Diet has like 1% to do with acne. The other 99% is genetics.
2. Not everyone's life revolves around the gym. Whey is a simple and convenient way to get your protein in.
>>
File: CO94tzBWwAAvSgV.jpg (102 KB, 600x534) Image search: [Google]
CO94tzBWwAAvSgV.jpg
102 KB, 600x534
Do you actually need the protein? If not you can use other things in pancakes to keep you fuller for longer. I never really understood the constant use of protein powders as a fitizen. It usually is there if you don't have time for a protein sufficient meal.
>>
File: 4036666881_0cdf0a64b0_o.jpg (289 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
4036666881_0cdf0a64b0_o.jpg
289 KB, 1200x1600
It's great for making low-carb protein balls/nobake muffins. Whey, unsweetened peanut butter, raisins/chocolate chips/chopped nuts, cinnamon and Splenda, and you have a pretty good snack food that won't make you fat.

Japanese girl related, because Japanese girls won't date you if you're fat.
>>
>>7569745
Why does everyone hate carbs.
>>
>>7569758

I would have thought I'd have made that crystal clear with my post, but apparently not.
>>
>>7569758
Probably because people got smart enough to realize low-fat is a complete joke when compared to processed sugary diabetes cereal, white bread, french fries, etc.
>>
literally no reason to ever use protein powder. just eat some fucking food
>>
>>7569791
But that's dumb. One extreme is worse than this other extreme, so now we have a new extreme. Just eat normally.
>>
>>7566433
Protein powder is pretty shit for everything other than "Oh fuck, I need to hit my macros and I don't have much time'. That and the anabolic effect that it apparently has, plus tasting good enough to make you drink a pint or so of water before and after your workout.

You'd be far better just eating a plate of fried eggs in the morning. Five eggs=500 calories BUT will keep you full.
>>
>>7569758
Carbs are fine. The problem is that people eat far too much carbs.

You need a balance of shit. You need fat because it helps keep you healthy. You need carbs for quick fuel. You need protein to build. You need fibre to keep you full and keep your bowels working and you need your vitamins. But overdosing or underdosing on any of this is fucking bad for you.

You want a good breakfast that'll leave you full and last long? A slice of bread with lard spread on it and two eggs plus a pot of tea/coffee. Breakfast of fucking champions. Your body has the carb boost to get you through the morning until lunch, a little bit of fat and the protein from the eggs.

As for protein powder, I've been using it because I got some in a sale. Can't really tell yet if it's actually doing anything.
>>
>>7566433
Protein powder is neither good nor bad. It depends on how you use it.

Blend it with lots of greens, yogurt, and milk (and a bunch of healthy spices - cinnamon, clove, turmeric, oregano, etc.) and it's great for you. There's no way you'd eat that much raw greens without it.

Shake with milk for a quick protein source when you don't have time. Quicker than eggs or other sources.

Make smoothies with fruit and yogurt. Add nuts or peanut butter for more calories or lower glycemic index.

Whey protein is good for immunity and keeping blood sugar down. It's not bad for you if you limit it to once per day and try to mix in some natural foods with it, such as greens or fruit.
>>
>>7566433
I keep a bag of powdered gluten from Red Mills in my pantry. In addition to providing protein, it also gives sauces a thick, taffy-like consistency similar to bread pudding. I find it quite useful to have around. Celiacs need not apply.
>>
i don't find that protein powder keeps me full for very long unless i'm downing like 3 scoops/60+ grams

it is, however, absolutely delicious (if you buy the right brand a.k.a. not ON gold standard). milkshake flavored protein? hell yes.
>>
>>7566456

er, protein isn't a vitamin... it's a (macro)nutrient

some powders will contain added vitamins though.

and it depends on the brand, some have a reasonable amount of carbs and a little bit of fat. so it all depends on your nutrition goals, but most powders aren't going to be pure protein so you'll still get cals from other macros.

if you want calorie-minimizing protein, egg whites are your best bet (granted, they're more expensive and less tasty).
>>
>>7569945
Do you have to cook that stuff?
>>
>>7570046
You're never going to drink it by itself. It becomes rubber when you wet it. That's why it's so good at holding bread together.
>>
>>7568813
No, servings. I know what the serving sizes are for each item and I'm not telling you.
>>
File: 1426207090740.jpg (199 KB, 745x716) Image search: [Google]
1426207090740.jpg
199 KB, 745x716
>>7570338
why would you be so rude ;-;
>>
ITT undisciplined fatty fats who think physical activity is punishment to be endured in exchange for "finally being healthy" and anyone who isn't incredibly out of shape must spend 100+ hours a week in the gym freaking out about his appearance.

I remember when I thought the troll posts about "board about food? must be fatties" were on to anything, but I realize after reading this thread that it's true.

But when you realize that people here have a stroke over pictures of nice meals and can only get aroused at the sight of a MacDonalds burger, it's consistent with the reality that fatties don't really love food, they love being full and shoving garbage down their throats.
>>
>>7569758
because it's the hottest meme on the market right now. A couple of years ago everyone was hating on fat, now everyone is hating on carbs and trying to preach IIFYM, wait a couple of years and everyone will be jumping on the fiber train and how you need 1g fiber/100 Cals. It's people who don't educate themselves and just try to preach what the majority is preaching
>>
>>7570688
IIFYM doesn't say carbs are bad, anon
>>
>>7566521
mix it with tuna, it`s pretty good
>>
My regular diet contains no meat or dairy, so I do drink a serving once in a while. But that's it.
>>
>>7566521

I enjoy mine with peaches.
>>
>>7566433
hurr durr
>>
File: tmp_26761-xQK8kUkd-476587355.jpg (32 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
tmp_26761-xQK8kUkd-476587355.jpg
32 KB, 400x400
>>
>>7570034
I buy Whey Isolate, it's all brotein and lactose.
>>
>>7566433
Protein Power is one of the single biggest fitness scams of the last 100 years. Crossfit is a close second.

It contains real protein, but it's such a pointless intake method.

Calories in.
Calories out.

It's that fucking simple.
If you want to gain muscle on top of that, work out.
No, you don't need a fucking gym membership. All you need is gravity, which is as of now still free.

If you're that worried about your intake just stop eating wheat. It's a bit unorthodox but you'll notice results quickly.
And for God's sake, if you're old enough to post here, stop drinking soda, coffee, fruity juices, and any milk that's not skim.
>>
>>7570911
Guaranteed replies, but you're also 100% correct.
>>
>>7570911
Skim milk is bad for bones. You're best off with none.
>>
>>7570921
>Skim milk is bad for bones
>>
>>7569687
Utter horseshit, protein has been proven to keep you feeling full for longer you double nigger. http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/82/1/41.full
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16950139
https://www.sharecare.com/health/protein-and-weight-loss/protein-help-me-lose-weight
>>
>>7570911
what's wrong with coffee?
>>
>>7570965
It's a missed opportunity for green tea :^)
>>
>>7570937
Not that guy but I'm sure he specifically meant whey, which is a particularly fast protein

If you're trying for hunger management go for casein
>>
>>7570911
why coffee, though?
>>
>>7570911
>bashes cross fit
>unironically "works out "
Getting tired is your goal, is that it? You're not better than them. Unless you are training, you might as well just go on weight watchers, fucking casual
>>
>>7570736
Who said IIFYM says carbs are bad?
>>
>>7570911

protein powder is cheap, calorie dense and requires almost zero preparation time. there is nothing wrong with it.

cross fit is great motivation for people that need outside motivation and is a good way to meet other like minded fitness oriented people. i guess most neckbeards here wouldn't understand that though.

if you are losing weight you don't need a membership just go fucking run but if you are strength training trying to do it without equipment is fucking retarded

there is nothing wrong with coffee or milk.
>>
>>7566605
>Nobody consumes protein powder for the flavor.

lol, i do
>>
>>7570850

lactose is milk sugar tho you're still getting carbs
>>
>>7566433
Dont buy the already made stuff buy your own powder at whole foods its cheaper also if you want to fwll full soak some almonds in water over night the enzyme thats in almonds breaks down and it takes longer to digest and releases liptin which causes you to think you are full or eat salmon
>>
>>7571786

>whole foods
>cheap
>same sentence

lol buy protein powder from amazon or bodybuilding.com when they have a sale going on
>>
>>7571786
Pasteurized almonds can't be activated.
>>
>>7571796

so basically almonds sold in USA can't be activated?

i always thought soaking them just made them easier to digest (without roasting them, as this strips some nutrients).
>>
>>7571649
(You)
>>
>>7571728
I somehow forgot 'no' in between 'and' and 'lactose'
>>
File: sexy-boobs.jpg (52 KB, 650x360) Image search: [Google]
sexy-boobs.jpg
52 KB, 650x360
>>7566433
Just make sure to exercise, if you're not physical/fit and just want it to get you "full" longer. You're going to get fat as fuuuuuck, I recommend using it if you want to start exercising.
>>
>>7572727

wtf? protein powder won't make you fat. OP isn't talking about using mass gainers. 24 g protein for 130 calories is hardly a lot.
>>
>>7566521
I like it with salt
>>
>>7566498

they make casein and whey/casein blend powders, you know.

also cottage cheese is nast, greek yogurt nigga
>>
>>7566521
I like it with peanut butter. Then again, I like peanut butter on anything
>>
>>7566433
isn't protein powder basically like soylent, but without the added oil?
>>
>>7573184
It's like soylent except for the fat, the carbs, the fibre, the sugar, and most of the micronutrients.
>>
You should never eat protein powder "just because".

People who work out drink protein shakes and do fine because their bodies need that protein to bulk up. For non-bodybuilders (and bodybuilders who eat too much excess protein) eating tons of protein is a carcinogen.

If you want all the details google the china study, HUGE study on the effect of protein on health.
>>
I really hope you guys are just funposting for the (You)s, there is so much nonsense ITT it's worse than /fit/, fat acceptance, and Dr. Oz combined
>>
>>7573741
You need to take in obscene amounts of protein before it becomes dangerous.

If protein powder is on a nice sale it means I can get my daily intake with a smaller budget.
I'm pretty poor and at times it's a better deal than chicken.
The rest of my protein comes from rice and beans.
>>
>>7573741
My fat boss who didn't lift, or even walk, started supplementing protein "just because". She soon had kidney stones.
>>
>tfw buy whey because I like the taste of protein bars
>>
>>7566542
You're kind of a creep, but I do agree that protein powder is useless. The protein that you get from actual food is lots better.
>>
>>7566433
Based on the required amount of protein that a human body needs on a daily basis I do not. When I started to seriously workout out I needed the additional protein to help in the process.
>>
>>7574393
Where do you people get this shit?

As protein, most "muh real food" sources are actually worse than whey isolate, the most popular powder. Maybe if we make up a totally contrived example like hemp powder but then I can just counter with a contrived example like pretending everyone eats raw maca root.

Yes, it's a bad idea to get all or even most of your protein from a powder but I doubt you, personally, are even be able to tell me why, other than "gym people weird, body image issues LMAO steroids!! Xdxd"
>>
>>7574393
Isn't whey just isolated milk protein? I don't understand what makes it different from 'real' protein
>>
>>7574512
whey protein is what you get after you separate out the fat and boil down the liquid that remains, it's got protein and lactose.
>>
Not very /fit/ but I track my calories, and I make a protein powder + water drink for breakfast pretty often.

25g protein for ~120cal, I can have it ready in 30s and it keeps me full till lunch. Can't really beat that.
>>
>>7574716
oh yeah, and its ~$1 per serving and keeps forever.
>>
>>7566542
You're a dumbass too you know. If you need 200g of protein a day it gets expensive to get it from "normal" food, it cost 5 euro for 1kg of mince with roughly 340g protein content, it costs 50 euro for 5kg of protein.

Mind you you're right that many people buy stupid over priced meme powders
>>
>>7569758
Least essential macronutrient, if you're looking for something to cut out carbs are the easiest
>>
>>7570911
It's nice that you can afford your own rack,barbell and hundreds of kilos of plates but most people can't and as such a gym membership is required
>>
>>7571792
>>7571786
Fucking order it from bulkpowders or myprotein, they usually get into price wars so try time it to get the cheapest one. 50 euro for a 5kg bag
>>
>>7575911
You don't need any of that stuff to exercise.
>>
>>7570911
coffee is fine and skim milk is trash
>>
>>7566534
>>7566538
Ignore what that guy said about pineapple.

Raw pineapple can irritate and hurt your lips, tongue, and mouth.

This is because raw pineapple contains enzymes that naturally break down and tenderize meat so you feel pain because the pineapple flesh and juice are literally breaking down your flesh.
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.