[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MSG
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: 57658758757.jpg (11 KB, 201x300) Image search: [Google]
57658758757.jpg
11 KB, 201x300
Just bought some of this. Is it actually better at enhancing flavor than salt, or is it a meme?

Did I just waste my money? Will I die if I eat it?
>>
> Is it actually better at enhancing flavor than salt

no, it's different but equal. you can use it to reduce the salt in your food but it 'enhances' flavour in a different way.
>>
I'm personally not particularly interested in eating any foods without msg added to them
it's a critical component that can make all dishes taste better
>>
>>7565853
Interesting
>>7565865
Probably fake but I'll have to try it in some things

Is it only good for meat or can I add it to dough and such?
>>
>>7565876
red lobster cheddar biscuits mothercucker! that's what makes them good. But here's what you do. make fried chicken and put the msg in your seasoned flour and see the difference.
>>
>>7565876

you can add it to almost anything - it's already in almost anything after all. it depends on how you want it to taste. it works very well in savoury roasted things with 'meaty' qualities, tomato soup, marinades, onion tarts, refried beans, stuff like that.
>>
>>7565893
Will do. I will be testing this thoroughly, just wanted to make sure I didn't get memed before I cook later.
>>
>>7565876
Do not put them on eggs.

Just do not do it.
>>
>>7565851

it will make you eat more/is addictive

eating a lot could give headaches but i don't think you would die

eat the whole 12oz and post results
>>
>>7565899
>>7565853

So basically different salt. Thanks. How would you describe how it differs from salt if its possible to say in words? I'm about to cook with it but if anyone knows I would appreciate it before I butcher some dish.

What taste does it incur? What is the ultimate purpose of using MSG?
>>
>>7565851
I bought some a while ago, but chickened out on using it. I don't really know how much to add to whatever i'm cooking.
>>
>>7565910

the ultimate purpose is to make malnourished third world kids eat more low quality food

it makes everything taste like steak
>>
>>7565910

>So basically different salt. Thanks. How would you describe how it differs from salt if its possible to say in words?

it *is* easier to just taste it than interpret a description, but think of something like miso soup, that savoury, warming sort of taste. i would say if salt is a kiki, msg is a bouba

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouba/kiki_effect
>>
>>7565907
>eat the whole 12oz and post results

No one gives a fuck about my personal experience with msg, and it will probably take a while to finish it all.

Are the health risks legit or was it a health fad for faggots like gluten is now?
>>
MSG is what makes your favorite chip flavors so hella f*cking epic. It's the secret to all salty junk food.
>>
>>7565916
Thanks, quality post and this thread has been surprisingly helpful for 4chan. Will be cooking with it in a couple hours so I'll fuck around with it.
>>
>>7565917

>Are the health risks legit

only the risks associated with too much sodium. stuff like chinese restaurant syndrome has been debunked for a long time.
>>
>>7565917
People associate it with the bad feeling you get when you eat a large amount of low-quality food (e.g. fast food, cheap Chinese buffets etc.). It's not the actual MSG that's the problem, more that the MSG makes you eat large quantities of crappy food.
>>
>>7565924
>>7565914

This is pretty much exactly what I wanted it to be, good shit. I wanted something that could make my shit fast food tier if I wanted, and could also add some pop to quality things.

>>7565911

Don't be a pussy. Add a teaspoon to something, see how it tastes, then adjust. Its not hard.
>>
>>7565934
That's literally what I want. Good
>>
>>7565930
Excellent, I figured that was a meme besides the obvious sodium health effects.
>>
>>7565938

use it for shit food don't use it on nice things you actually want to taste/enjoy

>>7565917

unless you have an allergy to it (you probably would already know) then its likely way less harmful than all the other shit we already put in our bodies on a daily basis
>>
>>7565955

>use it for shit food don't use it on nice things you actually want to taste/enjoy

i don't agree, it's a seasoning that does a job and this job could be done for both good or bad foods, same with salt. you don't say 'these chips are too good to have with salt'. chips need salt.

>unless you have an allergy to it (you probably would already know)

and given that it's abundant in, oh, i dunno, fucking breast milk i think that's probably unlikely
>>
>>7565851
We have now passed the point where an FAQ sticky would save us less stupid threads than a sticky that just says "There are no meme foods".
>>
>>7565917
you seem scared of it because youve never seen it in the wild and youre eating from a FOB chinese package. It is common, and you can buy it from a grocery store, its called Accent. It comes in a salt shaker as if its meant to be just shaken over your meal. I think places advertise that they don't use it not because its unsafe but because its cheating, if you are selling a meal it should be good on its own merit.
>>
>>7566755
If it's good, why should it matter how it was made? Would the Mona Lisa be any better if Leo happened to have painted it with his feet?
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.