[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tea Eggs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_0061.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0061.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
Is there a way to make them without overcooking them?

Also, what's the best steeping liquid.
>>
m8 those look like fckin dinosaur eggs destroy them now
>>
well that shee looks interesting. gtta try em sometime.
>>
>>7564295
>Is there a way to make them without overcooking them?
Since people have been making them for centuries I suppose so.

Also I'd really like to try a century egg.
>>
>>7564346
You would think, but every image and recipe indicates an over cooking (boil til cooked, let's assume soft boiled, crack shell, simmer in steep for 20 minutes or so).

I'm thinking the opposite, it's impossible to not overcook
>>
>>7564295
I want to make these.
>>
>>7564295
Not gonna lie, that looks fucking disgusting.
>>
>>7564367
I have no idea if this applies to tea eggs or not, but I know that some Asian foods are cooked differently than western standards because the goal of the food is slightly different.

For example, consider peking duck. The meat is nearly always "overcooked" by Western tastes. However, that's not the point of the dish. The meat itself is really an afterthought while the goal is to get perfect crispy skin. I wonder if something similar might be true for tea eggs?
>>
>>7564346
they're kind of meant to be hard boiled. add some of the broth to moisten the yolks if you must
>>
>>7564403
stop making so much sense gosh. (makes sense tho)
>>
>>7564346
>>7564367
I've never made them, per se, but I've made marbled deviled eggs for Easter.

Boil the eggs to just under done.
Crack them.
Put them into a baggy.
Add food dye, vinegar and water.
Squeeze out as much air as you can from the bag and seal it.
Let sit a while.
Drain coloured liquid.
Remove shells.
Marbled eggs.

Then, to make devilied eggs, halve them and blitz the yolks with some mayo, American-style prepared mustard, finely minced onion, chopped pickled cucumber or sauerkraut (I prefer sauerkraut) and salt (if/as needed). Some people add sugar. Those people are wrong. Others add lemon juice or vinegar. That's okay if your pickles/kraut aren't very tangy on their own.
Refill the marbled whites with the yolk mixture, powder with paprika and/or fresh-milled pepper and sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley and/or dill. Also chives and/or green onions.
>>
>>7564518
Oh, basically, I mention that because I was wondering what's stopping you from using strong tea and/or soy sauce in place of the food dye mixture? This way, your eggs won't overcook.
>>
Sous vide would be worth a try.
>>
>>7564531
probably wont transfer as well, I'm guessing
>>
>>7564346
Century eggs taste like chalky hardboiled egg.
>>
>>7564518
You should try chopped black olives, mayo and mustard then top with paprika

the best way to eat deviled eggs
>>
>>7564518
>>7565385

needs pickle
>>
>>7565389
And you needses yourself some reading comprehension courses.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.