[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT : God tier food cities pic related ensenada , MX
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 13
File: CfzX2MuWEAAQIpK.jpg large.jpg (89 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
CfzX2MuWEAAQIpK.jpg large.jpg
89 KB, 1024x768
ITT : God tier food cities

pic related ensenada , MX
>>
>>7562758
Philadelphia, PA.
>>
>>7562785
philthy is the worst city in the world desu
>>
>>7562791
Philly food scene in the last ten years has grown to be the best in the northeast. You can't go two blocks without hitting some amazing food, from any country or cuisine. And that's before even addressing the countless amazing bars with gourmet pub offerings that usually form an entire genre in itself. Any corner bar in Philly will now try their hand, and usually succeed at various foods. Beignets, pho, poutine, foie gras, all in a fucking bar. Man you cannot go wrong.
>>
File: 1439358381573.jpg (8 KB, 446x336) Image search: [Google]
1439358381573.jpg
8 KB, 446x336
>>7562758
Those fish/shrimp taco stands next to the based fish market are perhaps the best thing I ever had in my life.

Also, head down south a bit for the tamale stands that are made of sticks and mud, while there's chickens running around everywhere, and you will have the tamales that are so unbelievably good you wouldn't have thought it was possible.

>source: many great fishing trips with my Dad when I was a kid living in southern California
>>
>>7562758

if you want disentery...

>mexico
>food city

shiggy
>>
>>7562798

>Philly food scene in the last ten years has grown to be the best in the northeast.

Dude wtf are you smoking? You do realize the northeast includes NYC?
>>
>>7562798
Either bait or you're an idiot.

Well you're from philthy so the second's a given.
>>
>>7562807
I'm well aware. NYC chefs are fleeing Brooklyn for Philadelphia. Read some news my friend. It's all happening...and it's happening in the City of Brotherly Love.
>>
>>7562806
The food is amazing, but I did catch a tapeworm when I was a kid, but I'm pretty sure it was from accidentally consuming shower water at our campsite on the beach
Me again, btw >>7562801
>>
>>7562758
Tokyo obviously
>>
>>7562811
Enjoy being a flyover fuck.
>>
>>7562806
Every one who has been to Ensenada has loved it. You get local beer and wine amazing seafood (stuff gets sent to japan), street food and fine dining. Pretty much every has it all covered
>>
>>7562813
>all the crap chefs that can't make it in NYC end up in shithole Philly

gotcha
>>
>>7562758
I'm loving Chicago

inb4 shit-cago """""""pizza"""""""
I'm speaking generally. There's a lot of really great shit here that goes beyond the stuff (pizza, hot dogs) that people like to fight about.
>>
>>7562830

oh look. may may replies.

these really are the best!
>>
>>7562830
Assblasted cuckadelphian lmfao

Almost as annoying as yuropoors
>>
>>7562870
I've lived all over the east coast, in a few other countries, and traveled to even more. Just moved to Chicago a few months ago.

Chicago has been a massive disappointment as far as I'm concerned when it comes to food. There are some good places and you can find most kinds of food, but its horribly inconsistent, and honestly it really sucks that I have to put in tons of research to find places that aren't bad to barely mediocre. Even with research a lot of the reviews from randoms aren't very helpful because they'll say something simply ok is amazing because all the other places theyve been have been total crap.
>>
Houston has over 10,000 restaurants
>>
>>7562758
Honolulu.

Japanese food courts that if not for the mostly english signs are indistinguishable from Tokyo stations. Also god tier ramen joints all over town.
>but anon, what if I'm not a weeb?
No problem queer, being an expensive vacation spot there's tons of high end dining. And there's often street festivals on kalakaua ave that have all kinds of hipster food truck fare if that's your thing.
>>
>>7563078
I'm originally from the east coast too. I regularly go to NYC and am very familiar with both Baltimore and Boston. I've only been out of the country once, and visited the Mediterranean. I hope to expand when I'm more financially able to. I'll have been in Chicago two years in August.

I'm sorry that your experience has been less than favorable but I wonder if your standards might be too high (which is okay since it's your reality, but could be a reason).

I don't have the finances to eat at the really expensive places so I can't speak to that, but what I have eaten has been pretty good imo. I've eaten at a variety of pizza, ramen, and donut places though and haven't found any of them to be mediocre by my standards.

Eataly has good gelato. Crisp has the best bimbimbap I've personally eaten. Ramen-san is the best ramen (I'm hoping to try hi-five soon though). Oh, and my friend and I did a hotdog day and out of what we surveyed determined that gold coast dogs is the best. Clark st dog is pretty bad. Intellegentsia is god's gift to grinds, but Dollop is pretty okay too.
>>
>>7562807
He fell for the new york meme. LOL.
>>
File: mtl.jpg (56 KB, 515x433) Image search: [Google]
mtl.jpg
56 KB, 515x433
>>7562758
Montréal PQ
>>
File: 8M75ihG4.jpg (14 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
8M75ihG4.jpg
14 KB, 256x256
>>7562758
Nashville TN
>>
>>7562758

I'm going to have to go with Florence, Rome and Assisi. When I traveled Italy, there was not a place I disliked eating in.

The same with France when I was in Paris, Toulouse and Lourdes. The food was just incredible. Fresh, good quality, perfectly made.

To any of you guys planning to travel in the future, I highly recommend France and Italy. Besides the food, they truly are beautiful countries.
>>
>>7563279
>Eataly has good gelato
Eataly has been open in NYC for much longer than in Chicago, you might as well be arguing over which city has the best Ruth's Chris

Also I've been to both and the Chicago Eataly has a much shittier selection of everything than the NY Eataly, it's basically like Piggly Wiggly but with a pasta bar and some expensive teacups for sale.
>>
File: French-Quarter-800.jpg (172 KB, 800x596) Image search: [Google]
French-Quarter-800.jpg
172 KB, 800x596
New Orleans, Louisiana.

>>7563814
>Ruth's Chris
I rest my case.
>>
>>7565186
I agree New Orleans is great, but anything around the French Quarter is overhyped/overpriced shit.
>>
>>7563810

This honestly, I don't know why this city has such good food, but damn does it.
>>
San Francisco reporting. We all may not be able to afford to live here anymore, but the food scenes are off the charts.
>mfw I'll end up one day having to commute into the city for work AND to eat because fucking tech assholes are taking over everything.
It reminds me of how the yuppies ruined so many places in the 80s.
>>
File: SF.jpg (963 KB, 3761x2817) Image search: [Google]
SF.jpg
963 KB, 3761x2817
>>7565491
Dammit, forgot pic.
>>
File: 6-carne-asada-fries-eric-molina.jpg (529 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
6-carne-asada-fries-eric-molina.jpg
529 KB, 1024x768
San Diego
>>
PDX
D
X
>>
>>7565507
SF bro here. I fucking love carne asada fries. Yeah, San Deigo does have great mexican food. And great seafood, but so do we. It's just two different kinds of seafood cuisines.
>>
>>7565515

You guys definitely have the fusion scene down, we could use more of it here. Ours is a more traditional, but wide variety of cultural dishes instead of more cutting edge and modern cuisine.
>>
>>7565491
To be fair your city has always had the best food and architecture, but with the worst people.
>>
Los Angels, so many colored people with so many different cuisines. Fusion is the dankest food meme on the planet.
>>
File: Golden Road Brown.png (387 KB, 750x455) Image search: [Google]
Golden Road Brown.png
387 KB, 750x455
>>7565529
Angeles*
>>
>>7565527
Eh, not all the people are bad, it depends on what you're into, who you're around. Don't get me wrong, there are some fucking annoying as FUCK people here (and I avoid them like the plague), but there's a lot of reasonable, nice, normal people here too who are just trying to live life and have fun. Like any large city, really. If you stay away from the tourist traps, and stay away from the hipsters (I don't think they even call themselves that anymore here, but I wouldn't know because I stay the fuck away from them), and stay away from the Haight, and stay away from the Tenderloin, it's pretty awesome.
>>
>>7565419
What are you talking about? Granted Cafe du Monde is a tourist trap, but Galatoire's, Antoine's, Central Grocery, and Port of Call are all God-tier.
>>
>>7565529
This.
And that's not counting SGV and OC.
>>
>>7565491

Please don't remind me... I had to leave 5 years ago because it was too expensive for me back then! NOW, it is insane! That city seems to be dying. I can't believe what Ed Lee has done to us all. Now even Oakland is expensive. Seriously, fuck the bay area. I love it, but I REALLY REALLY hate these newcomers and hope they will all leave when their shitty apps fail.
>>
Anyone know anything about Pittsburgh? Going there this weekend.
>>
>>7565816
walk literally 3 blocks away and go to Adolfo's and you will have twice as good food and atmosphere then in the Quarter
>>
>>7566274
I'm right there with you, friend. One day, the city will be rightfully great again. Hopefully within our lifetime. Until then, we have to weather the storm of the modern day land-grabbers.
>>
>>7566514
How dare you shit on Antoine's. It's a fucking institution and makes one of the best mixed seafood and crab crepes that's ever existed.
>>
File: bakersfield.webm (1 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
bakersfield.webm
1 MB, 640x360
Bakersfield CA is pretty decent. Pop in for lunch on your way to SF and enjoy the large portions and low prices
>>
File: IMG_20160403_192027.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160403_192027.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
Cuban food down in Miami Fl.
>>
>>7566597
I'm not shitting on Antione's, however there are better places.
>>
>>7565555
the tl is kinda lit at night n theres some good korean fried chicken and taquerias up there

ive seen worse shit in soma than i have in tl

maybe not worse.. but like weirder idk more fuckin knocks hang out in soma or like at the cross of tl n soma at civic center

agreed about the haight tho fuck that place and fuck hayes valley too while were at it to be fair id still live in the haight if i were able to find s/t cheap enough up there
>>
>>7566636
>>7566597
I am shitting on Central Grocery though. They might have been good ten years back but last time I was there their muffaletta was shit and I have no desire to return.
>>
>>7565491
>>7565515
>>7566637
>>7566274
>>7565555

What are the best places to eat breakfast/lunch in San Francisco? What are some of the city's specialty foods/experiences? I'm going there for the first time in May. On my to-eat list is burritos at La Taqueria. What other American foods should I eat while I'm there? (I'm not from America, but from somewhere with a lot of seafood, lamb, dairy, and fresh vegetables, and want to try some foods that America is considered "good" at.)
>>
>>7566642
Really? I've never had a bad muffuletta from Central Grocery.
>>
File: 21679[1].jpg (344 KB, 2272x1704) Image search: [Google]
21679[1].jpg
344 KB, 2272x1704
>>7567347
Central Grocery
>>
File: IMG_8537+2[1].jpg (104 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8537+2[1].jpg
104 KB, 640x427
>>7567347
>>7567382
Cochon Butcher.

Also, keep in mind one of these two shops has been serving stale bread the last couple years...
>>
>>7566364
Strip District is pretty cool if you have the time to check it out.
>>
>>7567386
I prefer my Muffulettas cold.
>>
>>7567594
lol ok dumbshit, enjoy your shit sandwich so you can be "muh authentic," and I'll be over here enjoying actual quality product.
>>
>plebs who like avocados
>>
>>7567594
He's right
>>
>>7567603
>hot olive salad
how autistic can you be?
>>
>>7563805
you dumbass fucks are in every thread where someone mentions nyc jesus christ get over yourselves. your tiny city blows
>>
>>7566757
brenda's on polk for brunch
burrito from el farrolito or idr if its vallarta or cancun also pancho villa idk theres really too many taquerias to keep track of

theres a lot of good ramen spots too uhh mensho, kenken izakaya goku

theres a burger spot called Roam thats p good too

if u really tryna ball out get reservations at Saison

gary danko is also acceptable but kinda w/e imo

chairman has good chinese-american bao kinda a ripoff of Baohaus in ny but good nonetheless

whatever u do dont get tricked into ordering $10 avocado toast anywhere
>>
>>7565555
>>7566637
I agree with both of you on those points.
Personally, I like hanging out in Japantown just for it's fucking PEACE AND QUIET.
>>
>>7568887
i love jtown getting lunch from supermira's kitchen and a single asahi can or chuuhi can from nijiya then eating/drinking in the plaza or going up the street to the park is 10/10 relaxation
>>
>>7568871
Thank you. Might go to El Farrolito instead of La Taqueria, then. What do you think of going to Zazie? How good is Bi-Rite's ice-cream?

Is the Tenderloin really that dangerous?

Flight leaves in the evening so I'll have to pass up on Saison and Gary Danko this time, even though they look so very appealing, but I'll try to pass by Roam and the ramen places, because I've heard a lot about American burgers and ramen.
>>
File: JwEkNU1.jpg (649 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
JwEkNU1.jpg
649 KB, 2448x3264
>>7566274
>tfw had an onsite for a job there, but they canceled last minute

I had to fucking buy my own ticket too. Maybe it was fate.

>>7568871
>>7570112
That said, I really enjoyed NoPa and Barbacco is really, really fucking good. Shanghai Dumpling King is super good too. Waiters are assholes who want you to eat as quickly as possible, so you know it's good.
>>
>>7568871

>>7570123 Here.

Also forgot: the avocado toast is pretty great at NoPa. Don't be a fag and just get it. Definitely get the porkchop though.
>>
>>7570127
FUCK YOU AND YOUR GODDAMN AVOCADO TOAST THAT SHIT IS RUINING THIS PLACE YOU GODDAMN HIPSTER FAGGOT GET THE FUCK OUT.
Sincerely,
SF
>>
>>7570152
Avocado toast has been running its course, I agree. But I wouldn't get it anywhere else but NoPa.

I'd still rather make it myself.
>>
>>7570112
It's not "that dangerous" really, but it's goddamn annoying. All the homeless, drug addled people hang out there to beg off of all the people that are there to go out to shows and restaurants. Last time I went to a show there, we had to walk by a fucking LINE of homeless people all begging, and we didn't have cash, but we gave them bottles of water, and some guy who was LITERALLY sitting in a lawn chair in the street shooting up got mad because he saw us handing out water and came charging across the street at us and the other homeless people got in between him and us and made him go back across the street.
And there you go, life in the Tenderloin.
>>
>>7570153
That's something you shouldn't be getting ANYWHERE beside your own goddamn kitchen. Fucking shits.......
>>
>>7570161
Good to know, thanks. I'll try not to stay there too long at night, and avoid the homeless people.

>>7570123
I like the look of Barbacco, though the Shanghai Dumpling King is a bit out of my way.

>>7570153
>>7570152
>>7570127
Is avocado toast that big of deal? Where should I get it if it is?

(Also, anyone know of anywhere good to eat in Mountain View / Palo Alto?)
>>
>>7570161
yeah knocks arent really dangerous but theyre fuckin annoying

quick story
>friend worked at starbucks
>gave me n other friends the leftover sandwiches n pastries from the end of the day
>we dont really want any of it
>give to homeless lady
>she looks inside and drops the shit on the ground
>follows us for a block begging for cash instead of food

i really want to be compassionate and not a dick about it but man like forreal fuck homeless people i hate em

>>7570223
u cant really avoid homeless people in sf my dude unless u hang out like solely in nob hill NYC ships their homeless people to us we have too many already

uhh back on food

no its not a big deal its a fuckin avocado spread on toast

but in mtn/pa uhh orenchi ramen is all i know of in the south bay idk i dont like it down there
>>
>>7562758
Hong Kong.

I'm going to get a Michelin starred dish to go on my way home today and spend less than five US bucks for the privilege.
>>
>>7562758
What even is that
I recognize the avacado and nothing else
>>
>>7570229
Thank you! Now I'm excited about ramen, which is seen as a junk food here.

There are homeless people here as well, but not quite so many, and (I'd like to think) not so ungracious.
>>
>>7562818

osaka > tokyo
>>
>>7565507

>San Diego

as a SD resident, fucking get the fuck out of here

There's nothing good here besides overpriced and terrible boutique restaurants in Gaslamp/PB and there's better street/fast Mexican food in LA

Fuck SD for food DESU, whitest fucking place on the west coast.
>>
>>7570758
>there's better street/fast Mexican food in LA
>better

Speaking of overpriced and terrible. I bet you chase that fucking Korean BBQ truck around, don't you?
>>
>>7570384
if you cant make orenchi in south bay theres also a sf location in the mission that opened rather recently called Orenchi Beyond. Theres also some good Japanese curry in the Financial district called Muracci's (doesnt sound JP but it is) be careful though it always makes me want to fall asleep after but its so good.

theres a lot more stuff i just cant think of it right now
>>
>>7570682
Osaka style okonomiyaki taste exactly like what you get in Tokyo, Takoyaki is a little bit better but Tokyo has plenty of good places for that and more variety for everything else.
>>
What a bunch of plebs. The one and only answer is San Sebastian.
>>
>>7570758
>>7570778
>idiots who don't know about mexican food
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.