[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright /ck/ I'm tired of eating takeaway and frozen pies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 6-27-11_6.jpg (126 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
6-27-11_6.jpg
126 KB, 1280x853
Alright /ck/ I'm tired of eating takeaway and frozen pies every day, I'd like to try eating healthy. I can find a fishmonger in Grismby but I've no real idea on what to do with the slippery fellow once back home.

In short: How on earth do I properly cook fish in a pan? Any easy recipes?
>>
>>7561045
Well I see a few things in that picture I'm not a fan of. Snip off those little fins on the side and underside
>>
>>7561053
It's a stock photo from Google lad
>>
What kind of fish did you buy mate
>google search [insert fish type] easy recipe
>trawl through the practically endless results until you find one you might like
>???
>profit
Pretty much all fish you can just descale, fillet, then pan fry, skin side down until cooked. Serve with asparagus or green beans, etc
>>
>>7561150
This. You can also try them baked, boiled, and grilled if you have the equipment. Season fish lightly with some spices and fruit, and it's hard to go wrong.
>>
>>7561150
>>7561156
Well sounds simple enough I have a small stove with burner cooktop. I can get any type of fish really since I leave close to shore. I have absolutely no experience whatsoever with descaleing or making filets.
>>
agreed with
>>7561150
>>7561156

also
>>7561171
>I have absolutely no experience whatsoever with descaleing or making filets.
I don't either personally, but if I wanted to learn, I'd start out by looking for instructional videos and then buying several fish of a type I like, but that are still cheap. then I'd practise on those. so if I fuck up some of them, it's not much of a loss.
>>
>>7561171
Never been to a fishmongers that won't scale a fish for you if you ask. It's not difficult if you buy a scaler, but it's a pain if you've only got a small kitchen as the scales end up everywhere.

If you've only got a stovetop to cook on, maybe try a steamer - petal or bamboo over a couple cms of simmering water. Add your fish and sprinkle with some chopped ginger. Steam fillets for 6-7 minutes, whole fish for maybe 20 depending on size. Serve with rice and some warmed diluted soy sauce and sesame oil and spring onions/ chilli on top. Steaming is a very forgiving way of cooking fish and you usually get good results.
>>
>>7561590
Sounds heaps delicious thanks
>>
I'm not a very flexible cook but when I buy fish from the sketchy as fuck asian market downtown I literally just gut them into the trash, put some lemon or soy sauce or whatever in their bellies like you pictured there, cut off the fins, head and tail and then put them in the pan on medium high heat covered. Flip them when one side is brown.

I like my fish well down and this gives it that nice dry oily texture I like. It also makes the whole house smell awful and destroys my pan.
>>
>>7561171
>no experience whatsoever with descaleing or making filets

This British guy has lots of videos about butchering anything from poultry to beef and 50 vids about cleaning and filleting different fish and seafood. His cooking recipes range from interesting to U-wot-m8 but it seems he knows his stuff about butchering anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhmRg9u-TX-c4LFUkJWaD59ndovXw-U1H
>>
>>7561045
do you eat mussels, whelks, scallops and such?

they all sound disgusting to me, any ideas which ones would be easiest to cook and try?
>>
Never scaled a fish: fillets are just too good. Avoid catfish if you want dinner guests. Make sure you keep your knife sharp.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.