[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can I replace bacon with pancetta in any recipe?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: adding-carrots-and-garlic.jpg (231 KB, 575x381) Image search: [Google]
adding-carrots-and-garlic.jpg
231 KB, 575x381
Can I replace bacon with pancetta in any recipe?
>>
>>7559974
No it will make deudly poison.
>>
>>7559983
This is true. My wife's son dies tragically this way last October :(
>>
>>7559986
congragulations mate!, I'm happy to hear that.
>>
>>7559974

You're going to get more oil and saltiness from pancetta than bacon, and you won't get as much smokiness, although it's basically the same flavor profile. So if that's what you're going for, then yes.
>>
>>7559994
Thanks m8. I rarely cook with either. What about prosciutto?
>>
>>7560026
fuck proscuitto
>>
>>7560026

Think of prosciutto as a mix of thin cut bacon and thin cut ham. It's not that salty and very pliable. It'll cook quick so it's not something you want to use at the start of a dish but more towards the middle of it, or end. It's great if you want to wrap another protein, sear it and pop it in the oven to finish; meat crust.

What did you have in mind for it with cooking?
>>
>>7560036
>What did you have in mind for it with cooking?
Nothing in specific, I was just curious how it's used.

>It'll cook quick

Don't bacon and pancetta cook quickly too?
>>
>>7560036

>not that salty

It's not salty when you eat it as is, if you cook it it becomes extremely salty because it shrinks very quickly.
>>
>>7560039

Pancetta and bacon take longer to cook because they're thicker and you need to render out all that fat. Prosciutto is paper thin with not much fat content so there's really nothing to render out, it just cooks.
>>
>>7559974
The short answer: YES
The long answer: NO, YOU CAN'T
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.