[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mushrooms - growing indoors for taste and to sell
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: morels.jpg (332 KB, 800x531) Image search: [Google]
morels.jpg
332 KB, 800x531
I want to start growing mushrooms, but I have no knowledge on the subject. I have a house with a couple spare rooms, plus a basement, but the basement is musty and I'm not sure it would be good for the mushrooms.

I am trying to find morels in my area, but have never had any luck. I'm going to try again tomorrow. But, that's just for taste - I would like to grow other strains to hopefully sell at a Farmer's Market or something. I did some research but haven't really narrowed down what method or which strain to use. Out of the five below, which are the easiest to grow, taste the best or sell the best? I am open to growing more than one, but I am curious on /ck/'s opinion because I am a shroomnoob

Black Trumpets
Oyster mushroom
King oyster mushroom
Phoenix Mushroom
Blue oyster
>>
Bump for interest. Supposedly oysters are one of the easiest to grow. Usually I see people inoculate a sterilized substrate (grains, coffee grounds, etc.) with spores in a needle or a bit of mycelium and then once that's become myceliated they break it apart and mix it with straw put in bags and wait for that to get myceliated before fruiting. This is at least popular for oysters.
I wonder if there's an easier way though. I'd grow anything because I've never tasted a bad mushroom.
Supposedly these guys did this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTFugHA2WaI
>>
psylocybe cubensis is pretty easy to grow, and sells for a decent amount if you know the kind of people who a are into this shit.
>>
>>7559363
>tfw new mexico
>>
>>7559466
That chart has to be way off. It is much too cold that time of year, frosts are just now starting to stop. I live in Southern KY and the beginning of March was freezing...
>>
>>7559453
Not my thing, I get nauseated and they never taste good.

Taste is obviously the largest factor in growing mushrooms here.
>>
File: 1455311649739.png (230 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1455311649739.png
230 KB, 640x360
>Mushrooms.
>>
>>7559574
even tho it's mainly about psychedelics go to the shroomery, which has sections for edibles. Seems like the whole cultivation industry is weirdly linked back to the 'magic' varieties. At the very minimum you'll need to invest in a decent sized pressure cooker to start off with. Ideally a laminar flow hood too.

it's actually a really interesting hobby OP. To do it commercially though might take some of the fun out - If you think of how much they sell for, and that say oysters yield 1/7 of substrate weight, you need to be processing a shit load of substrate to make ends meet.. Very do-able though.

Start off by googling the Shroomery
>>
>>7559654
>children
>>
>>7560198
Yes I have been to that site, thank you for also recommending it. I'm not really looking at putting in a huge investment to produce a large amount though, I would just like some money on the side as a sick NEET.
>>
>>7559363
>picking mushrooms

Enjoy your renal failure
>>
>>7559574
If you blend them up with some orange juice and ice it masks the taste well.
And magic mushrooms are definitely the most profitable type of mushroom you can grow. They go for ~$10 a gram (dried) if good quality, you can make a ton of money selling them although they are illegal in some places. But there is far more demand for psychedelic mushrooms than regular ones.

reddit.com/r/shrooms and /r/shroomery has a ton of info
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.