[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to make authentic tasting NY pizza without a special
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5
File: NYsteak.jpg (379 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
NYsteak.jpg
379 KB, 1500x1000
Is it possible to make authentic tasting NY pizza without a special over?
>>
oven*
>>
Pizza is pizza, man. I don't understand why a NY slice is the holy grail.
>>
>>7555190
no, you really need one suitable for disposing of jews to make real pizza.
>>
>>7555196
yeah ny pizza is shit anyway
>>
>>7555196
it's so much better tan normal pizza. There's a place that opened up near me (not in USA) that has the real tasting shit and I'm gonna end up burning a lot of money unless I learn to make it right
>>
>>7555197
ebin my man
>>7555199
>chicacucks
>>
>>7555223
california actually, ny pizza is thin and crispy, chicago pizza is a meme, but cocal pizza is just right
>>
you need the water!!!!
>>
Oven that does over 500 and a baking steel
>>
it should be noted that NY pizza is brick oven but NOT coal fire. we are't allowed to have coal ovens because liberals.
>>
>>7555232
California pizza is worse than little caesars.
Stick to Tex Mex you desert dwelling subhuman.
>>
Sorry friend, but the answer is no.

An "authentic" NY pizza is one with a thin crust which is thrown into a wood-fired brick oven that is hot as shit. 800 degrees at least.

It's so hot that the pizza actually cooks entirely in 3-5 minutes, causing that amazing caramelized blistering effect on the crust.

The best you can replicate at home is to use some kind of thick pizza stone and crack up your oven to the maximum temp and let it preheat the stone like that for at least an hour.
>>
>>7555196
NY here, I don't understand why people from other places think NYers only eat NY style slices. We have a lot of pizza restaurants here, but then again, we have a lot of restaurants here, period. The restaurants serving "weird" pizza styles are just as popular as the NY slice shops, if not more so.

The only reason I can think of for this misconception is that in the flyover frame of reference (chicago, detroit, whatever), people take it for granted that you have one kind of food, and that you get butthurt if someone eats any other kind of food.

Personally I really enjoy chicago deep dish pizza. It's not something I'd eat every day, but then again, pizza is something I eat 2-3 times a month anyway. And since variety is key to enjoying food, I would never eat chicago pizza every time, any more than I'd eat "traditional" ny pizza every time (whatever "traditional" means)...
>>
>>7555190

Buy two cheap pizza stones and a pizza paddle. You need an oven that does 500F and has a top broiler. If you don't have a broiler you only need one pizza stone.

Then go to pizzamaking.com and read every thread on the forum for the next month.

>>7555334

Only the very oldest NY places are coal-fired, and there are only one or two that still exist that are worth going to. For the last 50 years, NY pizza has been made in gas deck ovens that do 500ish degrees, just like a home oven: there are also only a fairly small number of those places worth going to anymore, either. In the early 2000s there was a sort of Neapolitan-back-to-origins revival in response to all the original places being shit, and the wood-fired NY-Neapolitan places that make most of the best pizza in NY today came about.

Now I must leave you, as I am about to make 3 14" pizzas in my home oven. Maybe I'll post pictures later if there isn't an accident and they come out shitty for some reason.
>>
>>7555190
Get a thin aluminum pizza pan, make sure it fits in your oven, crank the oven to 550F or as high as it goes.

MAKE PIZZA, EAT IT.

>>7555199
Ok hick.

>>7555196
Maybe there was a mass influx of Italians from Naples a while back in NHYC and they knew how to make pizza and improvised with what was available?

>>7555232
Had pizza all over in Cali, sorry, was crap.

>>7555367
Luzzo's in Manhattan has a coal fired oven, it was grandfathered in, was a bakery back in the day, so the new owner made it into a pizza oven.
>>
is NY pizza just flatter bigger pizza slices?
>>
>>7555415
I thought Luzzo's was kind of bland but enjoyed Lombardi's
>>
>>7555423
Lombardi's is great too.
>>
>>7555357
get the fuck out with your reasonable post and logic
>>
>>7555421

Thin crust, cooked in a 550 degree gas deck oven for 5-8 minutes, fairly sparse traditional ingredients and toppings (no thick carpet of browned cheese; no BBQ chicken or arugula-- cheese, pepperoni, sausage,but sometimes a 'white' pie), with the plain cheese slice as the gold standard. Hand stretched. The good places have dough that has femented in the cooler for 24 hours or more. Likely made with one or more of the following: Baker's Pride deck oven; General Mills "All-Trumps" pizza flour; Stanislaus 7/11 tomatoes; Grande or Polly-O mozzarella; Ezzo pepperoni.

>>7555415
>Get a thin aluminum pizza pan

This does not work. You cannot bake dough on an aluminum pan. You end up with a sad pool of pale half-cooked dough. A stone or steel is the best way, but if you don't have one of those (a stone from Wal Mart is like $12), a square steel cake pan is your best bet and can make absolutely respectable pizza in your home oven with it.
>>
>>7555190
Sure. NY slice joint pizza uses low moisture mozzarella, which was developed to melt properly in the relatively lower temperature of a gas oven (as opposed to a coal or woof oven).

You can't do the original NYC style pizza, like what you get at Lombardi's or Totonno's without a coal oven and fresh mozzarella. But the NYC thin crust with a tomato paste based sauce with a hint of oregano and low moisture mozzarella like you'd find at any neighborhood joint? You can do that in a 550 degree oven and nail it completely. Though you'd probably be surprised at how much salt goes in both the dough and the sauce.
>>
File: P_20160409_175627.jpg (494 KB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
P_20160409_175627.jpg
494 KB, 2592x1456
>>7555367

Here they are. Crappy old Android tablet pics.

Not the best I've made and not the worst either.

Pepperoni
>>
>>7555509
I thought they used aluminum pizza pans in most nyc pizza places, maybe they're thin sheets of steel? I own one, but it barely fits in the oven and rarely use it, I just use a cast iron pizza pan and it comes out excellent in my oven cranked out to 550F. Do you know what the difference is if you use stainless steel or cast iron?
>>
File: P_20160409_181232.jpg (595 KB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
P_20160409_181232.jpg
595 KB, 2592x1456
>>7555591

Sausage. The third was another pepperoni.

The dough seemed sort of dense for some reason, not sure exactly but have some culprits. The pies should be 14" but are more like 13 and are fatter than they should be.
>>
>>7555591
>>7555599
These look pretty good, show the bottom for fucks sake!
>>
>>7555599
Gotta stretch your dough.
>>
>>7555196
Flyover detected. If you think "pizza is pizza" you've only had frozen gas station flyover garbage.
>>
File: 1457419361970.jpg (102 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
1457419361970.jpg
102 KB, 720x540
>>7555197
So fucking edgy. Get the fuck back to your containment board you fucking degenerate.
>>
File: P_20160409_183030.jpg (572 KB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
P_20160409_183030.jpg
572 KB, 2592x1456
>>7555597

To serve on, not to cook on.

Cast iron will work okay. Makes a good round pan pizza. Sort of small for use as a pizza stone but good heat transfer.

It's all about how much heat a material can hold and transfer.

>>7555601

First one was overdone on the bottom. I use a stone at the broiler for the first minute and the switch to steel on a lower one for another 4. I usually put the steel in the middle. Tonight I put it on the very bottom to see how that would go. Too much direct heat. The second two pizzas only stayed on the bottom for a couple minutes and ?I finished back on the stone again, which is why the sausage top is so much browner. Its bottom was fine.

>>7555606

Yeah it was slightly blown but didn't open very easily. I used VWG and DSM tonight, and I suspect they might be the reason. There wasnt much oven spring either.
>>
>>7555313
>Because liberals

Is it the new ebin may may to blame everything you personally disagree with on "liberals". I've been seeing this a lot lately and I have to wonder if you people even know what that word means.
>>
>>7555313
lul, you don't use coal in a brick pizza oven you shitkicker fuck, you use wood.
>>
>>7555634
you new here or something? blaming libruls for why I'm not a winner has been a 4chan tradition since chanology taught anyone with a subscription to newsweek that this is a safe space for losers
>>
>>7555313
Someone doesn't know their history. First generation pizza in the US was NYC pizza, and it was coal fired. (Lombardi's, 1905). A dozen or so coal ovens are grandfathered in here, so anyone in NYC who wants a taste of coal oven pizza can find it.

Yes, on the high end wood fired has taken over, but coal was the start of it all here.
>>
>>7555367
>NY pizza has been made in gas deck ovens that do 500ish degrees

Is this accurate? I work in a nice pizza place (in fucking Ohio) and we run our gas-fired ovens at 750F. I don't think we'd get good results with 500F.
>>
>>7555303
>>7555303
this
/thread
>>
>Is it possible to make authentic tasting NY pizza without a special over?

Yes, you might be surprised, but it is very easy to make really low quality, shit pizza at home.
>>
>>7555660
>since chanology taught a bunch of normie retards to come and infest 4chan
ftfy newkid
>>
>>7556055

The hotter the better, but the gas deck ovens that run at 509-600F have been what NY pizzarias have used since the 1950s.

What kind of oven is it and what kind of pizza?
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.