[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Food poisoning thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 4
File: Screenshot_20160409-124517.png (391 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160409-124517.png
391 KB, 1440x2560
Yesterday for lunch I tried a local Thai place for the first time. About 5 hours later I got nauseaus, ran to the bathroom and threw up enough to practically fill the bowl. Not even sure how it was possible

Spent the next 12 hours on my bathroom floor puking and on the toilet. I tried getting water down but couldnt. Had my friend bring me some pedialyte, which I finished all 33 oz's of but havent notice any difference. The puking has stopped but the shitting/pissing out of my ass hasnt.

Googles on tip was pedyialte so I come here for help

Who has had food poisoning? And who has cures?

> pic related its a review I saw this morning of the place I ate at for lunch FUCK
>>
>>7554594
>but havent notice any difference

That's normal. The pedialyte doesn't cure food poisoning, it helps you avoid dehydration and making things worse. All you can do is ride it out and drink a bunch of fluids.
>>
>>7554594
Last time i had food poisoning i took imodium and then didn't shit for 3 days and on the 4th day i shat out a brick that left my ass bleeding which took forever to heal.

so umm i dunno. tough it out with saltines, gingerale and the word of god.
>>
>>7554594
food poisoning takes 12 hours to set in. It came from the meal before the thai.
>>
>>7554612

Jesus. I saw imodium mentioned but I cant physically get up and go to the store anyways.

As far as the 12 hour comment it had to be the Thai, I didnt eat breakfast and the previous night I split a pizza with my roommate whos fine
>>
Would smoking weed be ok? Or make things worse?
>>
>>7554614
Not necessarily
>>7554594
Did you have rice?
>>
>>7554614
You're dumb
>>
>>7554647

Yes I did I had the yellow curry chicken w rice
>>
>>7554631

It might make you feel better; it certainly won't make anything worse.
>>
>>7554614
Depends on the pathogen. exotoxin / endotoxins take different amounts of time to manifest symptoms.
>>
>>7554594
Report the place. Save other people from this.
>>
>>7554631
I've smoked weed with a chest cold, you'll be fine bra.

However, remember you're sick, while it might make you feel better, it might also fool you into thinking it's ok to eat now.
>>
>>7554650
Could be B. cereus enterotoxin.
A lot of Asians are fucking retarded and store cooked rice at room temperature because "family tradition" and "refrigeration is overrated, we never had no poisoning in 1000 years of storing rice at room temperature"

Could also be the chicken of course, but they usually cook the shit out of it until it's leather just to be on the safe side.
>>
Gatorade and Saltine Crackers.
Ginger ale if you can find one that's ginger-y (you might try a ginger beer instead).
>>
>>7554706

Thats a great point. I actually know a kid who lives almost above the place, its Barrington RI so everything is nice as hell.

When I told him I had this he said they store their rice in home depot bucks near the back door. Crazy. I did report them already
>>
File: 1271032107978.jpg (10 KB, 555x620) Image search: [Google]
1271032107978.jpg
10 KB, 555x620
>>7554594
If you can't keep fluids in and or continue getting the runs from hell when you drink electrolytes than you should go to the ER, they can at least get you some IV fluids, you could die of dehydration like that you know?

You could take something like an antihistamine (meclizine) as an antiemetic + more electrolyte drinks, but considering... it would not be a good idea to self medicate.

Never had food poisoning myself that I know of, just nightmarish flu.
>>
>>7554614

this isn't true.

I've had exactly what OP described before, took only about 3~4 hours to set in and lasted for about 12 hours.

you're not a doctor, nigger
>>
>>7554631

weed makes everything important worse
>>
I don't get writing negative reviews if you just one time get food poisoning from a place. Shit happens, and it's not worth turning away other customers from a business over something that can happen almost anywhere when dealing with lots of quickly made food.
>>
>>7554849
Are you kidding? I don't get you. Food poisoning can kill elderly and children rather easily.

Food poisoning is not an expected mistake, it's a massive screw-up, it should have serious consequences and heavily impact the way a restaurant chooses to operate; if a restaurant has an attitude of "shit happens" in regards to food poisoning they need to be shut down.
>>
>>7554757
>Never had food poisoning myself that I know of, just nightmarish flu.

The flu is a respiratory illness you fucking retard, not gastrointestinal. Nothing that makes you vomit is "the flu" you stupid prick.
>>
>>7554594
Hi! I'm the anon from the cooking fuckups thread. Sounds like you have

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campylobacteriosis

You're in for a fun fuckin' ride. Mine lasted -seven days-.
>>
>>7554612
>i took imodium and then didn't shit for 3 days and on the 4th day i shat out a brick that left my ass bleeding which took forever to heal.

wew
>>
>>7556237
Of course mine was from my own cooking mistake. A restaurant should know better because as it was mentioned campylobacteriosis will straight up kill a toddler.

FUN FACT: The illness used to heavily contribute to childhood mortality rates back in ye old times!
>>
>>7554849
are you supposed to form a statistically significant sample of food poisoning before you report that you got food poisoning at a place? Like you have to return several times until you get food poisoning enough times that it's not a freak accident?
>>
The last time I got food poisoning was from some sour cream I got out of the bottom of a gas station cooler.
>>
Ondansetron for the vomiting
1L bag of NS for hydration
GI cocktail of a 3:1:1 ratio Maalox-Donnatal-Lidocaine, 120 mL bottle at 30 mL dose intervals at 30 minutes
>>
Promethazine for the nausea and 10mg of morphine to make you not poop.
>>
>>7554594
>About 5 hours later...
Stopped reading there.
>>
>>7554626
You don't want to do immodium. Your body is forcibly trying to expel whatever made you sick. Keeping it in there so you don't have to pee out your butt is a bad call. Let it run its course.
>>
>>7556384
>Let it run its course.
pretty much this, not much you can do

anyone ever had a caffeine overdose? it's like all the fun of food poisoning but with the shakes and a feeling like you're drowning in the air your breathing
>>
>>7554594
The worst will take about 24-72 hours to pass through. First coulple of days will be the worst for sure.

Drink as much as you can. Water, Pedialyte, sugar free sports drinks anything like that. Yes you will shit it out in brown liquid form right away but keep drinking to stay hydrated and prevent kidney damage..

Stuff I found worked as far as trying to keep food in my stomach:

-Saltines/Triscuits
-Rice
-Cream of Wheat
-Clear Broth soups
-Bananas
-Applesauce
-Bread

Those are pretty much the only things I was able to keep down for the first two days, and even then all they did was delay the next liquid shitstorm. It will suck, but as long as you keep fluids going into you, you should be ok. If you don't get better or stabilize after 72 hours, get to the hospital right away, that may be something worse.
>>
I've had food poisoning twice. The first time was from chicken nuggets from Burger King, it was pretty severe and landed me in the ER. Second time was from coconut water that was left on the counter (it was winter so I had thought that it was alright not to stick it in the fridge).
You have to just let it all out, OP. Peppermint tea will help,or just ginger in boiling water. Don't make the mistake I did and not replace fluids lost, I wasn't able to produce pee for the urine test and I needed to have 3 bags of IV fluids and my arm felt so swollen afterwards. Keep hydrated, keep throwing up, keep pooping and the worst of it should be over with within 24 hours. You just gotta keep hydrated during and after it
>>
>>7554594
Get adult diapers and wear them. Drink water. Lots of it. Later maybe dilute glucolin and then vitagen.
>>
>>7554626
Could be norovirus too. Do you wash your hands before you eat?
>>
>>7558770
>got norovirus back in 2008

fuck me it was so bad i shit myself while i was sleeping
>>
>>7554594
Food poisoning can be from something ate as long as 3 months ago.
Funny how bacteria and vira work.
>>
I went out for Korean food about six months back at this shifty looking place. Almost immediately after I started to feel the burn. I was in the middle of a movie so I had to waddle out just in time to spray half the contents of my body into the toilet. After this process repeated about three times, I decided to ditch it and head back. I literally couldn't take a solid dump for two weeks. I had to chug pepto bismol every waking moment so I wouldn't brown myself in public. I tried to look up the place to give the most scathing review ever but I could find zero mention of it online.
>>
>>7554594
http://www.fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/ucm103263.htm

To the idiots who say it's not food poisoning from this location because too fast.... there are many fast and slow acting food borne illnesses. Stay cautious at any restaurant
>>
>>7558925
what type of food poisoning can you get from 3 months ago?
>>
>>7554957

This. I work in food service and it's unacceptable to have your customers be sick from your food in any circumstance.

When food poisoning happens, it's because of a big mistake somewhere down the supply line. It could be the restaurant undercooked the food, that employee didn't wash his hands after taking a massive shit, or it could be their supplier selling bad meat.

It may not always be the restaurant's fault, but when it happens, they're the ones who are going to be looked at when the case of food poisoning happens. It's important for them to make sure not allow any chance for it to happen.
>>
>>7560719
>didn't wash his hands

That is by far the largest cause of foodborne illness. And it applies to the customer just as much as the restaurant.
>>
>>7554594
Activated charcoal is great for cleaning up your intestines once you're past the puking phase. Stops diarrhea completely after 3-4 hours.
>>
>>7554772
and neither are you, it is true
>>
>>7554594
after you follow all of this medical advice, call you local health department, lest other anons in you town fall prey to the hershey squirts
>>
>>7554957
>>7560719
>>7556260

almost every restaurant has gotten at least one customer sick, should hey have all been shut down?

that other anon is right, shit happens sometimes, and with people being fucking retarded and not understanding that most food poisoning happens 12-24 after eating, they place the blame on the wrong meal as the cause

it was probably when you accidentally stuck your dick fingers in your cereal milk
>>
>>7556285
where is this nigger going to get zofran from?
>>
>>7560960
>almost every restaurant has gotten at least one customer sick, should hey have all been shut down?
causing someone to become sick is never a good thing for a restaurant. The consequences should obviously vary depending on the root cause and how frequent/severe the poisonings are. Nice false analogy by the way.

>most food poisoning happens 12-24 after eating
Just because majority happens in a certain timeframe (according to you) doesn't mean the minority doesn't exist. Sometimes it can take less than an hour for food poisoning to take effect.
>>
When I was little, I tried a stalk of sugar cane. I don't know what it was. It wasn't washed, or it was just bad, but I'll never forget how fucking awful that tasted. This was third grade on Christmas Eve.

And then

Oh god

It was the most violent puking I've ever had. It lasted all night, straight up out the nose spewing, I'm crying my eyes out, I can't breath, it hurts so fucking much every time. I was terrified from like 10 p.m. - 6 a.m. the following morning, because I was puking so violently, and I had no control at all and I couldn't breathe.

Oh my fucking god never again. I'm very surprised I didn't go to the hospital, that was one of the worst nights of my life.

Ever since then I've developed a fear of puking. I know it sounds dumb, but I can't help it. I hate the loss of control, the building up, all that. It sends me into panic attacks
>>
>>7556168
Kek, you're a retard m8. The flu definitely causes vomiting. It doesn't 100% of the time but it's one of the most common symptoms of flu.
>>
Got food poisoning twice.

Once with spoiled chicken hearts. Puked my soul out, by morning I was puking nothing but bile.

Once because I wanted to eat japanese food but my cheap asshole of a friend didn't want to go to the place that was $5 more expensive. We ate cheap shit on a cheap shit place, and I drew the short straw. It was awful when I started feeling weird because I knew the fucking nightmare I was about to experience.
>>
>>7554594
>nauseous
You mean nauseated.
>>
I've had food poisoning a handful of times.

The most recent two have both been from Burger King, which I don't understand as I got food from the same place months apart.

It sucks because I normally love BK :(
>>
>>7561005

>people able to con doctors into giving them truck loads of benzos but can't get a little ondansetron

you some kind of retard?
>>
When I was in elementary school one of the classes had a trip to a local bison farm. There were some sample items we could try (cheese and milk iirc) and they made my mother and I sick.

Another local farm just had a huge e.coli outbreak so the news kickstarted my memory about the incident.
>>
>>7562652
lol nope
>>
>>7560733
>go to small place I'd been to plenty of times
>they're hiring people pretty regularly, for whatever reason nobody stays long
>no separate bathroom just for the staff, there's only one toilet, and it's unisex

>place order, then go to the bathroom to wash my hands before eating
>hear flush and a worker exits
>realize he didn't wash his hands
>wash my own and come back
>notice the guy who didn't wash his hands is the one making my food (because it's a small place you can see everything)
>quietly pull the owner who happens to also be there at the moment aside, request someone else remake my order because I know this guy didn't wash his hands
>worker claims he did
>owner takes worker's word over mine
>cancel my order completely and notice worker doing someone else's order as I leave
>a week later find out worker was fired because of a sudden rise in food poisoning complaints originating from the food that worker made
>owner apologized profusely and gave me the same offer he gave everyone who got food poisoning as long as they didn't sue or anything (he was paranoid about it), 10% everything for the next month
>>
>>7562767
You can't stop me from keeping nauseated in use.
>>
>>7560960
>almost every restaurant has gotten at least one customer sick, should hey have all been shut down?
the fuck you talking about?
>>
>>7560960
The most common forms of food poisoning have an average incubation below 8 hours.
>>
>>7563168
*Salmonella being the significant exception
>>
File: images (7).jpg (18 KB, 403x365) Image search: [Google]
images (7).jpg
18 KB, 403x365
>>7556168
Stop downy posting you niggertard it rarely causes the flu
>>
>>7561191
>nothing but bile
That's the worst. Your stomach muscles get all bruised up and it hurts to even breathe.
>>
can you build up immunity to major food poisoning by intentionally eating minorly bad food?
>>
File: 76b6ea0b588629c3.jpg (52 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
76b6ea0b588629c3.jpg
52 KB, 550x550
>>7563486

Yes. You don't see Adam Zimmern getting food poisoning and look at all the sketchy food he eats.

It's funny how I always see the germaphobes always getting sick, when they wash their hands 9000 times a day and use a liter of hand sanitizer a day and are careful when preparing their food.
>>
>>7563565
Of course you don't see him getting food poisoning, you really think the cameras are gonna keep rolling while he's making his sacrifice to the porcelain gods in the bathroom?

and iirc wasn't he a crackhead at some point? I wonder how much it affected his taste buds
>>
>>7554631
Half the time not exactly.
>>
>>7564372
>think the cameras are gonna keep rolling

You bet your ass I do. That would be fantastic for ratings. It's been done on other cooking/travel programs in the past so there's even precedent for it.

But that being said, even if the cameras stay off he probably isn't getting poisoning very often. For example: Like Zimmern, Anthony Bourdain did a bunch of traveling around and eating bizzare foods on his various programs (Cook's Tour, No Reservations, etc.) He also wrote about what happened behind the scenes on those programs in various books he's since published. I have read them all, and it's rare that he mentions anyone getting sick. Did it happen? Yep. But only a handful of times out of countless meals. And one of them was especially ironic: Him & TV crew arrive in Vietnam. Bourdain immediately goes for the street food. TV crew decides to eat at the fancy western-style restaurant in the hotel. TV crew gets sick. Bourdain does not.
>>
>>7558915
Oh, man. Norovirus.

I got it on a cruise, second day of a two-week trip. Spent basically the whole cruise glued down to the toilet, puking into the bathtub. What a waste of $650. The cruise line didn't reimburse or even send me a new ticket, since apparently only a *few* people got sick, and not the entire ship.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.