[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Baozi/dumplings
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (61 KB, 420x475) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61 KB, 420x475
I want to try to make those steamed dumplings like pic related. What is the correct name for them /ck/? I can't really search for a recipe since they seem to have a gazillion of different names. Can anybody tell me what KIND of dough that is so i can just search for that? Or maybe even share a tasty recipe that works? Thanks!
>>
xiu long bao or xiao long bao.
>>
>>7553648
Much appreciated, anon!
>>
>>7553648

i thought this was xiao long bao

i'd call op's pic "bao zi"

and dumplings are "jiao zi"
>>
>>7553689

>this
>>
Is the common name hum bow?
>>
op's pic is cha siu bao
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 500x668) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 500x668
Kek, now i'm even more confused...
However, i just made an experimental dough just with flour and water. So far it looks pretty good, after resting for 20 mins. Going to get ingredients for the filling soon.
What are your favorites?
Bf doesn't like garlic and ginger, so i thought about using lemongrass and chillies for taste. Can't decide between pork and chicken. I don't usually eat pork but it seems to be the most common choice. Also, what veggiea go good with it? I thought about carrots and chinese cabbage, pic related
>>
In Indonesia we call them Siomay
>>
>>7553689
your pic is xiao long bao. bao zi are usually just giant buns with stuff in it and dumplings are jiao zi
>>
>>7553648
>>7553659
Xiao long bao is wrong. It's a particular kind of bao zi. OP's bao zi dough is absolutely not like Shanghai xiao long bao dough . There are many different kinds of dough for bao zi as 'bao zi' is a generic term. The one in OP's pic looks like it's made with baking powder though.

>>7553717
Not sure about what the Indonesian kind of siomay is but it sounds like the term comes from the Chinese shao mai, typically called siu mai (Mandarin/Cantonese differences). I wouldn't call the Chinese shao mai bao zi or jiao zi myself as they are open top.

>>7553695
Impossible to tell without knowing the filling but it definitely is not in the typical cha shao bao / char siu bao dough which is typically very thick.
>>
>>7553639
They are baozi 包子. There are variations on the baozi theme like ones filled with soup, small ones, etc, though.
>>
File: bao.jpg (455 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
bao.jpg
455 KB, 2048x1536
>>7553639
It's really just regular white bread dough, but don't bother with strong flour because you want it soft and as white as possible. Here's a recipe that's worked for me before.

The reason there are so many names is probably something to do with there being like three hundred fucking dialects and everyone transliterating however the hell they want.
>>
Red bean dumpling
>>
>try to make some cha siu bao
>tastes like thit kho
>also dough comes out shiny instead of white like dim sum restaurants

GOD DAMMIT
>>
>>7555256
What book is that?
>>
>>7553639
Here a great web blog: http://thewoksoflife.com/2014/09/steamed-shanghai-soup-dumplings-xiaolongbao/

They have pretty extensive set of recipes, enjoy looking!
>>
>>7556169
Not OP, but this is horribly relevant to my interests and looks well written, and lots of links to other good pages. Much appreciated anon, you keep my hopes up
>>
File: 1438403837665.png (32 KB, 337x338) Image search: [Google]
1438403837665.png
32 KB, 337x338
>>7553716
>bf
>>
>>7553757

that's what I thought

damn gwai los getting it wrong
>>
>>7555256
Dim sum actually means "to touch the heart", the author mistakenly used the literal translation. Also the "stuffed pancakes" are a type of sheet noodle, akin to lasagna sheets, that has been rolled up.
>>
this thread makes me think of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-Xq4Y6l_PY
>>
File: chinese regional cooking.jpg (586 KB, 2220x1000) Image search: [Google]
chinese regional cooking.jpg
586 KB, 2220x1000
>>7555465
It's not huge, but it's pretty good. Has some context and history about the various dishes too.
>>
File: meatbun.jpg (11 KB, 255x200) Image search: [Google]
meatbun.jpg
11 KB, 255x200
>>7553639

I've made steamed buns a couple of times over the years and i've always had trouble getting the dough right. I've tried 6 different dough recipes and this is the one that i find i get the best results with

http://huongbui.de/how-to-make-vietnamese-steamed-pork-buns-cach-lam-banh-bao/

Really good recipe, couldn't be happier with the results. Dough is light, tender and holds it's shape well. I also find that adding the filling is much easier in the recipe above compared to the Chinese way of stretching the dough over the meat.

As for the filling, i like to mix it up and use a empanada type filling--ground beef mince, boiled egg, and simple seasonings. But you're free to use the traditional Chinese fillings as well. Good luck with you dumplings OP!
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.