[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where can I order food grade Calcium Oxide (Quicklime) shipped
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
File: DSC04029.jpg (136 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
DSC04029.jpg
136 KB, 1600x1067
Where can I order food grade Calcium Oxide (Quicklime) shipped to a residential address?

It's for making Century Eggs
>>
File: download (7).jpg (11 KB, 258x195) Image search: [Google]
download (7).jpg
11 KB, 258x195
>>
I ate one and it was truly disgusting. The texture was neat, but you can get those textures elsewhere.

Quicklime can be found at hardware stores, nurseries, or anywhere that sells outdoor maintenance supplies.
>>
Why not make some Vrigin Boy Eggs instead?
>>
>>7552808
They sell hydrated/slaked lime at hardware stores.
>>
>>7552955
Does it matter if the Quicklime is food grade or not?
>>7552957
Nah, century eggs work better for the jook I'm making.
>>
>>7552990
There's no such thing as food grade quicklime. It's fucking poison.
>>
>>7552808
just buy shit eggs from an asian store
>>
>>7552983
Yes but he traditional recipe calls for Calcium Oxide, not Calcium Hydroxide.
>>
>>7552990
Lime you find in the gardening section might often simply be powdered limestone.
Lime labeled hydrated/slaked you will know for sure that it has been heat treated and be ready to preserve shit.
>>
>>7553002
Well it's the same shit, except doing it in a brine is a little less time intensive.
>>
>>7553002
Also, brine has the added bonus in that you're not going to be sitting around squishing flesh burning muck around an egg.
>>
>>7552996
Yes there is, via the Food Chemical Codex.
>>7553001
No, you're missing the point
>>7553010
>>7553015
I'm not doing a brine, I'm following the traditional recipe as close as possible.

Is there a viable alternative to Calcium Oxide (Calcium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, etc)?
>>
>>7553025
How about you tell us why you're trying to make it yourself when you could just buy this ready made at your Chinese grocer?
>>
>>7553025
>I'm following the traditional recipe as close as possible.
>Is there a viable alternative to Calcium Oxide (Calcium Hydroxide,
It's literally the same result bro. The traditional pack crap around egg is just the quicklime, ash, and salt + mud. Guess what's in mud. Fucking water, so no matter what the quicklime is going to be hydrated.

If you find bags actually labeled calcium oxide, go ahead and buy it. I'm just warning you that sometimes if you grab a bag labeled quicklime you'll find yourself with just ground up limestone because companies are stupid with labels, so get hydrated/slaked to be sure.
>>
>>7552808

>Calcium Oxide

I have reported you to the Federal Bureau of Investigation as of 04/08/16 @ 1953.
>>
>>7553049
>why make a burger when you can get it at mcdonalds?
>why make a steak when you can get one at olive garden?
>why cook food when you can just buy it?
>>
What a shitty fucking life you lead, OP.
>>
>>7553079
We both know century eggs are more time and resource intensive and incredibly impractical to produce homemade unless you live in Shaanxi so how about you stop being a faggot?
>>
>>7552808
Don't you need urine of a pre-teen boy too to go real authentic?
>>
>>7553097
of course, I wasn't claiming otherwise. however, maybe op wants to learn from the experience and gain the satisfaction of making them from scratch. I don't think it's a silly idea, though I personally wouldn't do it.
>>
>>7553053
>It's literally the same result bro.
Exactly the answer i was looking for, thanks.
>>7553123
Yes .. Do none of you have the curiosity or inspiration to explore the use traditional methods?
>>
>>7553143
Experimenting with history is cool and all, but there are times when you're left with a giant sack of quicklime with very little application and should have considered doing something else. Like you're either going to have to take to plaster your walls and possibly a few neighbor's walls or enjoy making an absurd amount of pickled eggs.
>>
File: 8398.jpg (26 KB, 470x353) Image search: [Google]
8398.jpg
26 KB, 470x353
>>7553181
>making an absurd amount of pickled eggs.
Which is what I plan to do.
>>
>>7553204
Youre not planning on picking up any passed out drunk women are you?
>>
>>7552808
Why don't you google it you stupid faggot. Waste of a thread.
>>
File: 8n54o1.jpg (14 KB, 406x364) Image search: [Google]
8n54o1.jpg
14 KB, 406x364
>>7553370
You google it and see how easy it is..
Calcium Oxide, food grade (not tech, lab, or reagent) in 1 lb (not bulk 50 lb) quantities shipped to a residential address. Go.
>>
>>7552808
Can you not use magnesium chloride or calcium sulfate like in tofu? Or is this completely different?
>>
>>7553238
With that much quicklime? He's probably planning on burying them if they don't eat them.
>>
calcium oxide doesn't make century eggs, calcium hydroxide does.

you can obtain calcium hydroxide (pickling lime) from almost any food preparation store for extremely cheap.
http://www.amazon.com/Mrs-Wages-Pickling-1-Pound-Resealable/dp/B0084LZU1Q
or here:
>>
>>7553506
Calcium hydroxide is modern method. Calcium oxide is traditional method.
>>
>>7553527
Then why don't you make calcium oxide the traditional way?
>>
File: calcium-oxide-formation.jpg (22 KB, 348x346) Image search: [Google]
calcium-oxide-formation.jpg
22 KB, 348x346
>>7553534
I totally would if i had the means to invest in a kiln.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.