[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>always drink my coffee black >see some shitty video about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 16
File: vietnamese iced coffee.jpg (47 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
vietnamese iced coffee.jpg
47 KB, 480x480
>always drink my coffee black
>see some shitty video about different styles of coffee around the world
>see this one about Vietnamese iced coffee with sweetened condensed milk
>have a can of it somewhere
>decide to try it
>brew a really strong coffee
>mix in a dollop of sweetened condensed milk
>add ice

Holy fuck. This tastes like heaven with or without ice. Why didn't /ck/ tell me about this?
>>
I occasionally drink Vietnamese style coffee simply because I took a vacation there, have a lot of good memories, and bought one of those drip makers they use.

That aside, the only reason they add sweetened condensed milk in the first place is because Vietnamese coffee is almost across the board shit.
>>
>>7549534
Don't show fat people what else condensed milk makes taste better
>>
>>7549554

>smug simply sara.png
>>
>>7549534
Order yourself a box of Trung Nguyen coffee, and try it again.

Shit is amaaazing.
>>
>>7549534
link to shitty video? sounds interesting
>>
>>7549572
Pretty sure it's a buzzfeed video.
>>
Okay, so you wanna know what gets better with condensed milk? FINE, I can tell you.
Anything. ANY-FUCKING-THING.
Coffee? Yeah.
Tea? Why not?
Cheese? Sure thing.
Rice? Gorgeous cheap desert.
Put it on a steak if you doubt me. Just be sure to well season the steak and not overdo on the condensed milk. Go on, I'm here waiting.
But I won't help you losing weight afterwards, dude. You'll be on your own.
>>
They gonna amputate some limbs
>>
Here's a cool recipe. Get a can of condensed milk. It must be a can. Take of the label. Put the can, closed, obviously, in a pressure cooker with water. Turn it on, wait the pressure. Cook for 40 minutes. Turn it off, let it cool down. Open, turn fat, be happy. Repeat.
>>
>>7549534

that's New Orleans cold brew, the gooks stole it from the real people
>>
>>7549633

What do you make with this? Dulce de leche? I prefer the condensed milk to be honest.
>>
>>7549633

this is a genuine tip, FYI, not a bomb. You can also do it by boiling the can, but I always put it in a canning jar or metal bowl just cause it's easier to work with when it's done.
>>
>>7549689
I've heard about it before and always wondered how it doesn't turn into a bomb.
>>
>>7549683
Not real, authentic dulce de leche, that is make just with milk and sugar, but a quick alternative.
>>
>>7549689
>>7549721
I use this method at work, by boiling, except I leave the top of the pot uncovered. I do probably 20 cans per week, and I've never had one split or blow up.
>>
>>7549689
I've dumped a few cans in a pan on the hob and stirred it a lot with a strong spoon until it changed to caramel. Don't want that shit burning on the bottom
>>
>>7549734
Sweetened condensed milk is just milk and sugar.
Dulce de leche is just caramelised milk and sugar.
What's the problem?
>>
>>7549808
Macarons are just eggs white, sugar and almond. Put everything in a rice cooker and enjoy. Right?
As I said, it's very close, it's delicious, and you can even call it dulce de leche (I do, when talking informally).
But it is not. Real dulce de leche is better.
>>
>>7549721
The relative pressure inside the pressure cooker will rise along with the relative pressure inside the can. if they are equal the can won't explode. Alternatively, if you depressurize the cooker without leaving it to cool, the can should explode since it will have the same pressure, but is now in a normal environment.
>>
>>7549808

Condensed milk is made with evaporated milk, which has a VERY different taste from fresh milk, that's why. Think of the difference between a fresh consommé and a bullion cube
>>
File: dude dulce de leche lmao.jpg (89 KB, 400x597) Image search: [Google]
dude dulce de leche lmao.jpg
89 KB, 400x597
>>7549721
>>
File: vietnamese-coffee.jpg (30 KB, 199x308) Image search: [Google]
vietnamese-coffee.jpg
30 KB, 199x308
>work next to some Vietnamese people when I was doing catering
>they give me free food and coffee all the time
>lady gives me bday and xmas presents
>gives me one of the Vietnamese coffee filters and coffee
Those guys are so nice , I should go see them sometime
Anyway everytime I try and use the filter thing it never works , anyone got any tips?
>>
>>7549859
And evaporated milk is milk that's, get this, been evaporated!! Crazy, I know! And guess what happens while you make dulce de leche? That's right!! The milk evaporates, concentrating the milk solids (sugars, fats and proteins) creating, you guess it, evapomuhrated milk!!!
Yay!!
>>
>>7549858
interesting, thanks
>>
Alternatively, you can make it with no pressure cooker, but then you have to poke a small hole in the can, making sure the water doesn't cover the hole. And it would take like 3 to 4 hours. Doesn't worth it, pressure cookers won't kill you if you think about what is happening (and you have like middle school knowledge)
>>
>>7549874
And canned food taste just like fresh, huh?
>>
Realtalk /ck/, I've never had a cup of coffee in my life and I'm 26.

I've had iced coffee before, but that was too bitter for me.

I was at lunch with someone today who said most coffee you buy (starbucks or whatever) is all shit, oxidized, and bitter because they wait too long after grinding to brew the coffee.

If I actually got a cup of 'fresh' coffee with freshly ground beans, would it be bitter or not?

How can I get myself a good cup of coffee?
>>
>>7549907
Yeah, coffee is bitter. You can also taste sweetness, sourness, umami and even saltiness in great cups of coffee, but bitterness is always the most strong taste.
>>
>>7549933

I mean, fresh coffee smells amazing but I can't get over the bitterness.

Guess I just don't enjoy bitter things.
>>
>>7549936
then you won't like coffee to begin with. and grow the fuck up.
>>
>>7549936
You can get used to it. Seriously. It's like beer.
>>
>>7549944

*tips fedora*

>>7549947

Maybe I'll go to some hipster 5 star yelp place around here and get a $10 cup
>>
File: index_12.jpg (92 KB, 500x617) Image search: [Google]
index_12.jpg
92 KB, 500x617
>>7549560
>>
>>7549874
youseemupset.jpg

superior selfpwnage, my man
>or woman
>w/e
>>
File: 1459975109446.jpg (85 KB, 540x721) Image search: [Google]
1459975109446.jpg
85 KB, 540x721
>>7549591
>>
>>7549907
i've been drinking black coffee consistently since last summer and since then I've only had one coffee that was truly exceptional at a cafe when I visited a big city back in february.
I bought myself a pour over that I'm waiting to get in the mail so that I can try to emulate it
>>
>>7549865
theres a million guides on you tube
>>
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7 KB, 225x225
>>7549933
>>7549944
>>7549947
>coffee is supposed to be bitter
>>
File: 1450290045752.png (202 KB, 266x339) Image search: [Google]
1450290045752.png
202 KB, 266x339
>he fell for the black meme
>>
>>7549633
Where I used to work we call this "toffe sauce", works well with any sweet dessert especially puddings or sweet ice cream.
>>
I live in Indonesia and good beans are scattered everywhere. Feels good man
>>
File: 329.jpg (76 KB, 519x600) Image search: [Google]
329.jpg
76 KB, 519x600
>>7550102
>>
>>7549534
I love this
I consider it slightly tragic that it doesn't go well with Pho
But I often drink it before or during pho anyway
>>
>>7549554
Haha this! you had me laughing!!
>>
>>7551548
That's like saying eating a steak without steak sauce is a meme

Some people might prefer their steak flavoured but many people enjoy the taste of steak.

The same is true for coffee.
I add a little milk to make it an immediately drinkable temperature, only add sugar when I want to drink candy.
>>
>>7549534

using sweetened cream to flavor your coffee is truly unique and original bro

theres even an entire fucking section in the grocery store of sweetened flavored creams for coffee

keep it secret though... we don't want this revolutionary unique idea to get mainstream
>>
>>7549907
It's not bitter if you know how to brew it right. If you go to any respectable cafe they can brew you up a nice cup of coffee without the bitter taste. In my experience the bitterness comes from brewing at too high temp (boiling) which is why most people associate coffee with bitter, but if you know what to do it comes out just fine.
>>
>>7551670

most people drink coffee for the caffeine not to sip on a cup of black for an hour at a faggot hipster coffee shop

brewing at a higher temperature extracts more caffeine and unless you are a total faggot that only drinks black a splash of milk/cream removes the bitter taste
>>
when i was in the phillipines, the white russians were condensed milk and kahlua. shit was so tasty but i gained about 10lbs overnight
>>
>try this
>add add a spoonful of sweetened condensed milk
>tastes pretty good
>add a second spoonful
>suddenly tastes like coffee caramel candy

There MUST be some recipes which use this shit. Coffee glazes, homemade candies and ice cream, syrups to serve over cake, etc.
>>
>>7549907
>too bitter
That's why so many people put sugar in it.
>>
Cold brewed Vietnamese coffee is all I have to live for during the summer
>>
>>7549552
>worlds second largest exporter of coffee

Yeh you know what you're talking about.
>>
'Thai Red Coffee' is my shit.
>>
>>7552873
But he's right.

Vietnam only grows robusta, which provides great body (hence its name) but is well-known for its harsher flavour v that of arabica. Vietnamese robusta is especially commonly regarded as being low-quality, low-price coffee that it's guaranteed that if you buy any blend anywhere in the world, Vietnamese robusta was used in it because it's considered a cheap, poor-quality filler by the coffee industry.

So way to go, homie: in your attempt to out someone for being unknowledgeable on the topic of conversation, you've rather outed yourself for the very same thing. Good job. It takes a special kind of complete fucking idiot to pull that off.
>>
>>7552906
>citation required
>>
File: 1453865288576.gif (492 KB, 176x216) Image search: [Google]
1453865288576.gif
492 KB, 176x216
>>7549534
>Why didn't /ck/ tell me about this?
>>
>>7549907
You also get used to it. When I was younger, used to inky drink it with milk and sugar. Then I slowly added less and less over time. It still takes some getting used to. Some people don't like it at all though
>>
>>7553026
Vietnam only grows robusta:

http://vietnamnews.vn/Economy/Business/200464/US-shows-interest-in-VN-coffee.html
>Robusta coffee accounts for 97 per cent of the country's total output.

Robusta provides has harsh flavour v arabica:

http://news.utexas.edu/2014/04/16/global-production-of-shade-grown-coffee-shrinking
> Robusta is a lower-quality coffee than the other major variety sold around the world, Arabica.

blogs.cornell.edu/cuastg33/2015/02/06/got-coffee/
>Arabica is the higher quality, more widespread variety that you would typically get from a coffee shop, whereas robusta is lower quality.

https://www.mtu.edu/peacecorps/programs/forestry/pdfs/noah-daniels-thesis-final.pdf
> Robusta is generally considered to be of lesser quality

www1.american.edu/ted/vietnam-coffee.htm
>prices and the quality of robusta is much lower than arabica

docs.law.gwu.edu/stdg/gwilr/PDFs/46-3/5%20Gulliman.pdf
>Robusta is powerful but inferior, cheap muscle.

Vietnamese robusta is especially commonly regarded as being low-quality, low-price coffee:

www.uky.edu/Ag/AgriculturalEconomics/pubs/rescoffeejab47.pdf
>Robusta from Vietnam is a type of low quality coffee bean.

http://scholarworks.umass.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1380&context=open_access_dissertations
>Vietnam had stuff that was just about the worst robusta you could grow

sea-globe.com/arabica-vietnam-coffee-southeast-asia-globe/
> Vietnam has long focused on cheap robusta coffee

Vietnamese robusta is used as a cheap filler by the coffee industry.

www.uky.edu/Ag/AgriculturalEconomics/pubs/rescoffeejab47.pdf
>Vietnamese Robusta is used mostly in blends as a filler.

http://www.coffeehabitat.com/2010/04/rainforest-alliance-certifies-coffee-in-vietnam/
>Nearly all the coffee grown in this country is robusta (Coffea canephora), generally low quality beans historically used as filler in blends

Enough citations for ya, homie?
>>
>>7549907
Make cold brew. 2/3 cup fresh, coarsely ground medium roast coffee, 3 cups of water, mix and cover in a clean glass jar/bowl/whatever for 12 hours. I filter mine into a bowl and then pour it into a nalgene, but you can do whatever, you just need a funnel or a sieve or a strainer and some filters.

The end result is a much less better coffee. It's closer to very dark chocolate than chewing aspirin, and it makes great iced coffees. Cut with 1/1 water/coffee, use hot water if you want a hot coffee.
>>
>>7553104
>autism
>>
I used to take coffee with a bit of milk and sugar, but my lactose intolerance advanced too much so I stopped using milk. Just sugar never tasted right to me, with a little or a lot, so now I just drink black coffee.I remember the one time I tried Vietnamese coffee to be really good, though a little sugary. Now I can't hope to drink it any more but I actually prefer black now.

>>7553104
those citations ought to be in APA format
>>
File: 1451353900791.jpg (3 KB, 125x64) Image search: [Google]
1451353900791.jpg
3 KB, 125x64
>>7553104
B T F O

T

F

O
>>
>>7553113
Ah. Calling someone autistic: the swan song of the BTFO.

>>7553114
>APA
I kek'd.

>>7553104
I've seen this done before in a Five Guys thread.
>>
>>7553114
>APA format

Do you want a bowl of dicks to go with that, you fucking queer?
>>
>>7553104
Oh my lord you are a huge faggot.
Get out of the house for a bit "homie"
Ahahahaha fuck me swinging

>>7553113
this x1000
>>
File: Rekt.gif (328 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
Rekt.gif
328 KB, 960x540
>>7553104
>>
>>7553104
>>7553117
>>7553329
Samefag
>>
>>7553321
>>7553344
>>7553026
>>7552873
samefag
>>
>>7553374
But you are obviously a loser and a failure
>>
Well this thread is ruined.
>>
>>7553445
It was shit to begin with
>why didnt anyone tell me that sweetened condensed milk was good
>>
File: leitemoca_enfimcasada[1].jpg (23 KB, 260x300) Image search: [Google]
leitemoca_enfimcasada[1].jpg
23 KB, 260x300
>>7549874
Condensed milk and dulce de leche are very popular in my country. You can make dulce by boiling milk with 30% to 40% (weight) sugar or just get a can of condensed milk and cook it in a pressure cooker. They taste COMPLETELY different. Cooked condensed milk is cooked condensed milk and not dulce de leche. Try it for yourself. Also you can go to any market and get dulche de leche that tastes like pure sugar + a drop of vanilla. These are made of sugar and corn and taste terrible.

I use shitty pre grounded coffee but my cold brewed ends tasting like coal tea. Should I buy coarse ground or are they only for french press? Would it improve the general quality or should I stick with the cheap bad coffee?
>>
>>7549865
coarser grinds
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (161 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
161 KB, 1440x1080
Just don't start going to vietnamese coffee shops expecting a good time drinking coffee
>>
>>7551548
>calls black a meme
>uses word meme
>anime poster

sounds right. the only reason people think black is some foreign style, is they are manchildren or women
>>
>>7556770
>the random white girl
what
>>
>>7549587
By the way a steak in cream is more or less a steak diane
>>
>>7551670
>It's not bitter if you know how to brew it right

that's not true. coffee is inherently bitter it's scientifically proven.
>>
>>7556814
only if its over roasted

>[citation needed]
>>
>>7556814
depends on the roasting. a high quality coffee is more decadent than bitter
>>
Always good memories with condensed milk.

In my army days we used to get a tube of the stuff we would just drink straight while marching or between jobs.

It's a huge sugar hit in a small and easy to carry timespan, probably why I never lost weight even while training but hey, we could run and fight for hours so anything easy to consume was game.
>>
>>7556770
lmao everyone asks to be served by the white chick
>>
File: 1391100711945.gif (198 KB, 275x200) Image search: [Google]
1391100711945.gif
198 KB, 275x200
>>7549834
>Macaroons

Almond meringue with tons of dye
>>
>>7556852
>preferring a white girl to those asian cuties
nigger detected.
>>
Condensed milk, beer and some sugar is GOAT
>>
>>7549534
seconding this, v. coffee is dope
>>
>>7556814
It doesn't matter if it is technically bitter because it has a few compounds like caffeine that are bitter. Perceived bitterness is what matters. There are a lot more flavor compounds in coffee that give other flavors that aren't bitter. Good coffee will have a pleasant and tamed bitterness that won't leave you reaching for the cream.
>>
>>7549572
>>7549582
Not the Thirsty For video series?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-31_1iB_lwM
>>
>>7551548
fuck off anime manchild. weeaboos are the lowest form of human scum
>>
>>7554373
buy whole beans and grind them yourself
>>
File: 1457394903720.png (17 KB, 433x430) Image search: [Google]
1457394903720.png
17 KB, 433x430
Dude I've been aware of this for like twenty years

I still haven't made it tho
>>
>>7558644
Take a good look at the banner, you're in our territory grandpa
>>
>>7549665
>WE WUZ COFFEE N SHIET
>>
>>7553104
B T F O
T
F
O
>>
>>7556770
I live near Little Saigon where apparently these originated. I've been to two of them as "research".

Vietnamese guys smoke cigarettes indoors even though it's illegal in CA but honestly Little Saigon is like the wild west.

The girls at the legit ones can be really friendly and one sat down and had a real, full-on conversation with me for 20ish minutes. I wouldn't go back because it feels kind icky in there but it's interesting.

Also, I ordered an avocado smoothie 'cuz that's my shit, they suggested to add some coffee to it. Holy shit, too good.
>>
File: oh snap.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
oh snap.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>>7553104
>>
>>7558815
my point stands
>>
>>7549534
I gotta be honest with you, man. It sounds like you always secretly wanted your coffee with milk and sugar. Sure, condensed milk might be a bit better than milk and sugar, but the point is that you never preferred drinking it black. Not really.
>>
>>7559430
No it doesn't. You don't go to the playground and tell the children to stop being juvenile and childish.
I mean, YOU probably do, but nobody is going to fucking take you seriously.
>>
>>7559521
ecks dee, since you admitted that weeaboos are childish i have nothing more to say
Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.