[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Flavor Bases
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: Flavor base.jpg (674 KB, 3237x2207) Image search: [Google]
Flavor base.jpg
674 KB, 3237x2207
Mirepoix (French) - Celery, Onion, Carrot
Soffritto (Italian) - Celery, Onion, Carrot, Garlic, Parsley
Sofregit (Spanish) - Tomato, Bell Pepper, Sweet Onion, Leek, Carrot
Suppengrun (German) - Celery, Leek, Carrot, Parsnip
Holy Trinity (American) - Onion, Celery, Green Bell
Recaito (Puerto Rican) - Onion, Cubanelles, Garlic, Cilantro
>>
File: images (54).jpg (29 KB, 506x290) Image search: [Google]
images (54).jpg
29 KB, 506x290
>>
>>7546630
The holy trinity is French. Much of Louisiana was settled by Acadian exiles from the East coast of Canada during the Seven Years' war. Most cajun cuisine is heavily based on Aciadian/French cuisine.
>>
>>7546630
Sofrito (Spanish) - Green Pepper, onion, garlic

That's the actual base for most Spanish food
>>
>>7546630
Those are all good. Have a bag of carrots, celery, green pepper, and two kinds of onion in my freezer which makes a no-prep soup base.
>>
>>7546687
In the Venezuelan version, the pepper doesn't have to be green (red is actually preferred), and there's also garlic, cilantro, culantro, and ajies dulces.
>>
>>7546701
I'm talking Spanish and Cuban (what I traditionally make). I've seen red peppers used but it's mostly for color
>>
>>7546709
Ya, the color is the main reason we prefer red, but really any color will work fine. Usually I use green just because it's cheaper.
>>
>>7546701

Is there a name for that particular base?
>>
>>7546721
We just call it sofrito. My guess is that each country that does it has a different twist on it but still calls it by the same name.
>>
>>7546734
>>7546721
>>7546701
Oh man, I didn't even notice the difference at first, but the Venezuelan one also uses tomato.

So the total recipe would be
>onion
>tomato
>bell pepper (red preferred but not necessary)
>garlic
>cilantro
>culantro
>ajies dulces
>>
Mirepoix (French) - Celery, Onion, Carrot
Holy Trinity (French/Acadian) - Onion, Celery, Green Bell
Soffritto (Italian) - Celery, Onion, Carrot, Garlic, Parsley
Soffritto (Venezuelan) - Onion, Tomato, Bell Pepper, Garlic, Cilantro, Vulantro, Ajies Dulces
Sofregit (Spanish) - Tomato, Bell Pepper, Sweet Onion, Leek, Carrot
Suppengrun (German) - Celery, Leek, Carrot, Parsnip
Recaito (Puerto Rican) - Onion, Cubanelles, Garlic, Cilantro

Would love more if anyone has them, these are gold.
>>
>>7546683
>>7546767
cajun food may be "based on French cuisine" but it ain't French. Cajun food didn't get invented in France. That shit is 100% American.

That's like saying the blues is African music because the people that invented it were from Africa.

Both the blues and cajun food (and by proxy the holy trinity) have their cultural origins in the southern United States.
>>
>>7546767
I don't have other bases, but I can offer a good way to use the Venezuelan sofrito.

Pabellon Criollo:
A dish with five separate things
>white rice
>fried slices of ripe plantains
>arepas
>black beans
>carne mechada

For the carne mechada:
Use a tough cut of beef like chuck, and slow cook it until it completely falls apart, then shred it, and put it into a hot pan and mix it with the sofrito.

For the black beans:
Very simple, just cook some black beans, put into a hot pot and mix in with sofrito.

For the arepas:
Mix harina pan, a tablespoon or two of oil/butter, a pinch of salt, and water to form a thick paste that you can mold into a pancake shape. You can either shallow fry these until golden brown, or you can cook them in a dry pan to form a crust and then bake them for 10-20 minutes at 400F. When eating them, slice them open and fill them with anything you want: meat, beans, cheese, or literally anything else.

Serve with a side of crumbled queso blanco.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.