[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/ck/ challenge - Round 5 (April 6th - April 12th)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 253
Thread images: 46
File: challenge2016.png (336 KB, 864x619) Image search: [Google]
challenge2016.png
336 KB, 864x619
5th round of the 5th Annual /ck/ Top Master Iron Chef Ultimate Nightmare Kitchen Survivor Challenge!

This is the first of the elimation rounds! If you are not part of the contestants still in the running, feel free to post along, however I will not be tallying the scores. But the more entries the better!
Here's the list of those who made the top 14!
Nack
Fantastic
dice
knife
CookingRei
Yellowmug
Studentfag
Fossil
Lady Pistol
RacerX
asdf
Longship
Borneo
Eyepatch

Reminder :
-Please timestamp your submission! Detailing the cooking process/posting a vertical is encouraged but not required. If posting multiple photos, you don't need to timestamp each one, as long as the final submission photo is timestamped.
-You MUST use a unique identifier; if you don't want to use a tripcode, you must have some other way to distinguish yourself from the other contestants, such as a cute bird or scary statue in your timestamped entry, as long as it's clearly visible and you use it consistently.

Voting will be carried out in this thread. Please read the voting guidelines below.
>>
VOTING GUIDELINES

Voting follows an 'Iron Chef' style scoring system. This means you, the people of /ck/, will judge each entry individually instead of deciding on what you feel is the "best" dish.

Dishes are scored out of a total 20 points, based on 4 categories (worth a maximum of 5 points each); Presentation, Originality, Appeal and Challenge Goals. You may award 0's if you feel the contestant did not meet your expectations for a category.

-Presentation: The appearance of items on the plate; plating skills
-Originality: Creativity in composing the dish
-Appeal: How appetizing the food looks/whether or not the dish appeals to your personal taste as a voter
-Challenge Goals: How closely the entry followed the challenge goal(s)

The distinction between Presentation and Appeal: If someone submits an artfully arranged but burnt steak as an entry, it may score high in Presentation but low in Appeal.

For additional info and to see submissions from Previous years, check out the Challenge blog. (http://ckchallenge.blogspot.ca/)

Copypasta Scoring Format for Lazymodo

Presentation: /5
Originality: /5
Appeal: /5
Challenge Goals: /5
Total: /20
>>
The theme of Round Five is...

Fire!

Things cooked in or on fire, flambed, bathed in flames... I don't care. Let's burn something and make it delicious. While you're perfectly welcome to make a large spread of food, please make sure there is clearly a "main dish" because that is what people will be voting on.

Two contestants will not be moving on to the next round.
>>
File: rd4.jpg (115 KB, 755x364) Image search: [Google]
rd4.jpg
115 KB, 755x364
And scores.

Congratulations to CookingRei for the Victory! Please get in touch with me for your prize :)
>>
>fire

And just when it started snowing again.
>>
remember to double check your scores for accuracy!
>>
>>7545980
Nice!

a bit offtopic: Heartsonfire is your friend? The one that shares cooking ebook links 2009-2010 if i remember?
>>
Oh boy this gon be gud!

Also, what will happen with the people that dropped out without timestamps? How do the eliminations work in regards to that?
>>
Now with new Position indicators
>>
>>7545980
Oh awesome!!! Thanks Bubble and the voters! We finished off the last of the 12 cookies last night (addicting little suckers)

Fire will be interesting.... going to have to think about this one for a while.....
>>
>>7545975
>fire
My folks aren't going to like this one. Fuck em though, I'll make something while they're not home.
>>
Can we wrap shit in foil, or will purists say that the food wasn't actually on fire?
>>
>>7546251

If the last round taught us anything it's that purists are going to be purists.
>>
>>7546261

*purists are going to be puritanical
>>
>>7545967

Interesting thread.
I've been absent going on 5 years now, so it's neat to see what's been done with the place.
Definitely going to have to check out that blogspot.
Oh, and did someone say Heartsonfire is still around?
Nice, someone was asking about them on the other /ck/ a couple days ago.
>>
>>7546251
I have mixed feelings about using foil... You're using fire, but you could have used an oven just as well...
>>
Tangentially related: for anyone with Netflix, or for anyone who knows how to acquire shows otherwise, I'd highly recommend the recently released documentary, "Cooked".

The first episode is all about cooking with fire.
>>
>>7546611

I heard about that documentary a few weeks ago and have been wanting to check it out. Might just be the right time.
>>
>>7546649
I really enjoyed it

>>7545967
Fuck, I am in a shitty little place until may and dont even have a bbq. This round is gonna be a bit trickier as I problem solve that and study for finals.
>>
File: QCB1tiz.gif (3 MB, 419x391) Image search: [Google]
QCB1tiz.gif
3 MB, 419x391
time to rev up that barby and give your meat a good ol' rub hehe boii
>>
>>7546031
Hearts started the challenge but she handed it over when she had to stop coming to /ck/.

>>7546348
See above.
>>
Yellow got through with his pile of shit served in a dog bowl?

>/ck/ standards
>>
>>7548052
2 people dropped out, so all of the contestants that posted dishes last round made it.
>>
>>7548058
Oh, that would explain it.
>>
>>7548052

Yes, even with your multiple troll votes.

Who're you planning on harassing this round?
>>
>>7548126
>spewing shit at random anon's

Okay, faggot
>>
>>7548126
nice try yellowmug, there's no such thing as a 'troll vote' when your dish deserved 1's at best.
>>
>>7548160
I'm waiting with baited breath on his next dish. They've slowly been getting more and more insane. I don't think he's far off the guy who put the unpopped kernels in an iphone box.
>>
>>7548395
inb4 he roasts his dog over a fire
>>
>>7546611

Second recommendation, Netflix series chefs table, the episode that follows Francis Mallmann is God tier fire cookery. Also just a God tier hour of tv in general.
>>
Okay, voters: are we going to roast (heh) contestants whose only element of fire is cooking on a gas range?
>>
>>7548797
>dont even have gas range
>electric range
im going to have to buy some matches and flambe somethiing its the only way
>>
>>7549429

>2013
>not being a drinker, a smoker, or a scented candle enthusiast

I'm going to have to improvise some fire myself, but am far more concerned about this alleged Indian round.

I recently moved to an area with a sparse Indian population, have a small spice rack, and don't really want to buy a bunch of overpriced spices from the regular grocery store that I don't use often enough to warrant the cost.
>>
>>7549458
are you guys retarded there is no indian round, that was fake bubbles, bubbles isnt going to give you a hint of what the next round is grow a fucking brain
>>
File: download.jpg (6 KB, 204x300) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6 KB, 204x300
>>7549429
Get one of these ;)
>>
anyone who doesnt build a real fire with wood will be getting very low scores this round, and yes im a contestant
>>
>>7549429
I'm in the same boat. Everything's electric. Got a little grill in the mail today..... an electric grill.

Gonna have to raid my liquor cabinet for this round...
>>
>>7549556
Why the fuck? Flambeing is a great idea and doesn't use wood flames.
>>
>>7549559
good luck
>>
>>7549562
It's LITERALLY in the challenge description
>Things cooked in or on fire, flambed, bathed in flames...

Giving low challenge scores for anything flambed would be idiotic.
>>
>>7549573
well then someone should revoke my power to judge I guess

alright to be honest i dont actually judge anyways i was kidding, but pro tip the first guy to submit a flambed thing will get all the ooohs and ahhs and then there will be 5 more flambed dishes and they will get stale very quick, and since apparently you fucks lack the creativity to do anyything other than cook a dish and pour liquor over it and light it on fire for this challenge i suggest you people get a bit more creative, i wont be judging but if you think there arent gonna be some harsh troll judging then LOL...
>>
>>7549609
For the record, I'm not flambeeing anything. I'll be using a good old fire.

It's ridiculous to punish people for doing something that satisfies word for word the challenge requirements. Might as well change your statement to
>you fucks lack the creativity to do anyything other than cook a dish with fire for this challenge i suggest you people get a bit more creative
>>
>>7549616
like i was saying, that was a bit of light hearted trolling, i dont actually vote, but if more than half the dishes are flambeed id expect them to be judged harshly

personally im going to do something weird for mine like light a chair on fire and cook ice cream over it or something
>>
>>7549639
fair enough, If everyone is doing something flambé, then yeah, take points off for originality, just not challenge goals.
>>
>>7549609

If flambeing is good enough for Michelin Star restaurants, it's good enough for a fucking casual 4chan cooking competition.

Who the fuck do you think you are, Marco Fucking Pierre White? Get your head out of your ass.
>>
>>7549750
um i dont vote because i know i have no credentials, i was actually just giving a warning because some of these judges think they are judging a mich star dishes and if every dish in the restaurant is doused in alcohol and lit on fire it gets cheesy as fuck in no time, do whatever the fuck you want i couldnt give less of a shit, I see why they are trolling this thread so hard now tho, you people get assblasted easy as fuck, imma stop replying now just do your shit, if you do this flambeed shit id do it quick tho and try to be first lol
>>
File: images.jpg (6 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6 KB, 300x168
>>7549769

>yfw I will now instantly give every flambe dish 20 points
>>
File: reaction.jpg (177 KB, 1026x770) Image search: [Google]
reaction.jpg
177 KB, 1026x770
>>7549773
>yfw this is the last year bubbles does this competition
>>
>>7549786
sheeet if she does I'll take over
>>
>>7549789

I'll start a competing competition where we take the top 5 winners from side and put them against each other in the bloodiest cooking battle /ck/ has ever seen.
>>
>>7549789
>>7549798
neat i will hide those threads sounds fun!
>>
>>7546348
w-whats the other /ck/???
>>
>>7549811

You should just leave 4chan all together, it save you the trouble of needing to hide those threads, and you can start immediately!
>>
>>7549824
are you trying to shun me as you help destroy the thread you claim to love so much?

do yoyu think participating in this convo isn't considered shitposting still?

you are everything wrong with this board stop breathing immediately
>>
>>7549811
>>7549847
as >>7549824 said, you might want to leave all together m8. You don't seem to enjoy being here.

>>7549821
probably another chan's /ck/ or something like that.
>>
>>7549821

At the #8 place.
It's usually slow as hell over there, though.
>>
I'm excited for this round, not so much for the theme, but because I have an amazing dish in mind that makes me hungry just thinking about it. Fire will still be the main cooking method but the dish itself will be the star. Fuck I can't wait to go shopping tomorrow.
>>
File: 1431982775351.jpg (159 KB, 652x784) Image search: [Google]
1431982775351.jpg
159 KB, 652x784
"Sorry guys, but if you even think about flambeing your dishes, I'm going to give you a big fat zero for both originality and challenge goals. It's my privilege as a voter to interpret the round as I like and to the requirements of what I perceive the challenge rules to be and there is nothing you can do about it.

Be more fucking creative. Ever heard of BBQs, subterranean kilns, spitroasts, bonfires...? Even one participant this year already has used a flamethrower in an earlier challenge to toast a big pan of sweetcorn, which definitely didn't come out looking awful. I don't want to hear any goddamn excuses."
>>
>>7550918
who are you quoting?
>>
File: Crêpe Suzette.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
Crêpe Suzette.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
Alright then, let me start us off this round with my version of the Crêpe Suzette, aka flambéed crepes in a sugary orange sauce, finished off with a blazing orange liqueur.

As I'm leaving on a trip tomorrow, I did not have the time to make a proper vertical so below I'll just post a picture of the ingredients and the flambé part.

Flambé might not be the most original idea for this round, but I was short on time, and it's not likely I'll be able to light up a barbecue/bonfire in student housing, in the middle of a city any time soon.

They actually came out tasting really good, just the right balance of sweet and bitter.
>>
File: shit vertical.png (728 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
shit vertical.png
728 KB, 600x900
>>7552348
And apologies for again not leaving out shit wall. Maybe I'll use it as my identifier next year..
>>
>>7552348

Did you do anything with the rind garnish, or is it just julienned and served as is?
>>
>>7552348

Looks great!
I was thinking about doing a flambéed dessert for this as I too am a student without a bbq or anything. But I have never done it before so I am terrified to burn my house down.
>>
>>7552348

Presentation: 3/5
Originality: 1/5
Appeal: 2/5
Challenge Goals: 3/5
Total: 9/20

It looks well made, but doing another dessert after a dessert round wasn't a good choice. Doing something flambéed definitely counts for challenge goals, but Crêpe Suzette is probably the least original thing you could have done. The presentation with the orange rind could be improved.
>>
>>7552348

Originality: 2/5
Challenge Goals: 5/5
Total: 12/20
>>
>>7552348
>Presentation: 3/5
>Originality: 2/5
>Appeal: 4/5
>Challenge Goals: 5/5
>Total: 14/20
Never had such a thing but it looks tasty
>>
>>7552350
Originality: 4/5
Appeal: 4/5
Total: 15/20

presentation looks good, appetising.
i'm scoring higher on originality since really you were the first one to do flambe even if others do after you, and I think grilling meat would be the most obvious choice, not a crepe dessert.
as for appeal, I like crepes, I like oranges, they look like they've been cooked well - it's a no-brainer.
5/5 for challenge goals because you used fire, that's the only stipulation and you did it.
>>
>>7553623
m8 that equals 16/20, your math game is weak son
>>
>>7553640
yeah my b, I changed one of the scores while writing it and forgot to change the total
>>
>>7552348
Presentation: 2/5
Total: 10/20

This is probably the first dish I thought of when I saw the theme of the round so I've scored low on originality. The crepes don't look browned properly (perhaps the inside of the crepes looked better?), the orange is poorly zested, and there's too much sauce.
>>
>>7552348
This used to be my dad's go-to special dessert when he was having dinner parties.... thank you for the nostalgia.
>>
>>7552348
I see that you opted to make même suzette. Overall it looks decent. But as I lie here looking at your dish, I find myself questioning whether you have what it takes. A good chef should be dedicated. Letting a lack of time and resources effect your dish doesn't bode well for me.

I feel i've been rather generous with my scoring. However it took some balls to be the first to submit. I see many of you sat here, tentatively pondering whether to hit that upload button, but scared to in case your dish doesn't go down well. Over the course of the competition we've had several dishes that haven't gone down well one bit. I remember one person took a shit in his poor dogs bowl and submitted that. Yet on the other hand, Rei came through with the goods. So there's good and bad here. We'll see what happens this round. Good luck, fellow contestants.
>>
File: CK 5 Fire.jpg (1 MB, 3072x2304) Image search: [Google]
CK 5 Fire.jpg
1 MB, 3072x2304
Here we go, mates. The flambé floodgates have opened.

My entry: Cherry Chicken Flambé served with flambéd plantain, steamed rice and sugarsnap peas. I love making plantain as it's like a savoury banana that offsets the sweetness of the cherry sauce in the dish quite nicely.

I really wish I could have done something with a barbeque or an outdoor firepit but didn't have anything more theatrical at my disposal.

This is the first time I have ever flambéd anything, so go me! Infographic to follow (and proof that I set fire to stuff!)
>>
File: CK 5 infographic.jpg (2 MB, 2408x3288) Image search: [Google]
CK 5 infographic.jpg
2 MB, 2408x3288
>>7555058
Cheers, everyone.
>>
>>7555058

I think you did a good job on the presentation with what you had to work with, but separating everything like that only highlights how boring the peas and rice are. It's pretty basic, but I like how it feels like a twist on bananas fosters using plantains. Next time maybe don't mention that you used canned cherries.
>>
>having a cookie contest where you can't taste the food
We've entered the meme zone.
>>
>>7555058
Appeal: 3/5
Total: 14/20

I like the ideas behind this dish and the way you flambéed the plantain. I'm not so certain on the peas or the rice as I don't feel they really match with the chicken and plantains. The separation of the three parts is visually displeasing as well.

Also, I think it was right to say you used canned cherries. It seems integral to the dish.
>>
>tfw the contenst has imploded so spectatcularly it won't even make it to the final round
>>
>>7556680

Us working class adults take a while to get things done what with other responsibilities and all.
>>
>>7556754

This honestly looks like something you would get at Taco Bell. Not everything needs to be lit on fire you fucking donut and I don't know who told you to mix hastily-smoked pork shoulder (that I will assume you didn't even season) with a three cheese blend. I'm not even going to mention the toilet.
>>
File: Grilled Pizza.jpg (713 KB, 1984x1488) Image search: [Google]
Grilled Pizza.jpg
713 KB, 1984x1488
Grilled pizza, with flame broiled tomato and garlic sauce, rum flambéed caramelized onions, twice smoked gouda/cheddar cheese blend, roasted jalapeno Fire™ sauce, cherry wood pulled pork, charred scallions à la Masaokis, finished with blowtorched Parmesan-Reggiano.

Everything is homemade, and everything came in contact with fire in one way or another.
>>
File: Grilled Pizza Vertical.png (4 MB, 800x3200) Image search: [Google]
Grilled Pizza Vertical.png
4 MB, 800x3200
>>7556772

Vertical.
>>
>>7556772
>à la Masaokis
20/20
>>
File: censorship.jpg (57 KB, 1542x314) Image search: [Google]
censorship.jpg
57 KB, 1542x314
>>7556772
>>7556774
>>
>>7556774
>cooking on your toilet seat

I'm yet to figure out whether you're an elaborate troll or just disgusting. I suspect the latter.
>>
>>7556796
It's like you don't know about the actual king of /ck/
>>
>>7556796
Both and none.
It's a reference to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdnQ0nO3AcY (or another video of this cooking show, I'm not a fan of this meme, google "Masaokis")
>>
>>7556772

Presentation: 4/5
Originality: 5/5
Appeal: 5/5
Total: 19/20

Looks and sounds delicious. Not much you can do with the presentation when it's a pizza, but the inappropriate spoon and chopsticks gave me a sensible chuckle. You set a high curve for challenge goals.
>>
>>7556772
I can't believe this is the same contestant that made the abysmal dog cookies. This is incredible.
>>
Yellowmug back to his trademark samefagging
>>
File: 20160410_102055.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
20160410_102055.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
No vertical this time but this is garlic-thyme beef with chilli flake oil, blistered cherry tomatoes, and sherry flambéed stir fry (cauliflower greens, radish, leek, orange bell pepper) with mala oil.
>>
File: IMG_20160410_134730.jpg (134 KB, 1283x962) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160410_134730.jpg
134 KB, 1283x962
my food is cooking

>>7556774
lold so hard at the masaokis

>>7557012
i really liked the dog cookies desu

>>7557217
hot
>>
>>7556772
That looks so fucking dry.

Presentation: 1/5
Appeal: 1/5
Challenge Goals 3/5

Total: 7/20
>>
Originality: 3/5
Total: 13/20
>>7556772
>>7557217
>>
>>7557668
The top score was meant for>>7555058
>>
>>7556772
Challenge Goals: 2/5
Total: 6/20

>>7557217
Challenge Goals: 4/5

>>7555058
>>
File: IMG_20160410_152855.jpg (118 KB, 1283x962) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160410_152855.jpg
118 KB, 1283x962
heres my submission, Gaelic steak!
>>
File: IMG_20160410_151507.jpg (164 KB, 1283x962) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160410_151507.jpg
164 KB, 1283x962
>>7557830
the sauce is made with shallots, garlic, butter, mushrooms, cream and a shot of whisky

here it is flambeed
>>
File: IMG_20160410_134025.jpg (129 KB, 1283x962) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160410_134025.jpg
129 KB, 1283x962
>>7557835
the steak was cooked sous vide with butter and garlic
>>
File: IMG_20160410_152357.jpg (161 KB, 1283x962) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160410_152357.jpg
161 KB, 1283x962
>>7557839
after cooking at 54C for 1.5 hours, the steak was removed, dried and seared on high heat to get dat crust

the juices from the bag were mixed into the sauce
>>
File: IMG_20160410_152959.jpg (126 KB, 1283x962) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160410_152959.jpg
126 KB, 1283x962
>>7557844
money shot
>>
File: IMG_20160410_153133.jpg (76 KB, 1283x962) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160410_153133.jpg
76 KB, 1283x962
>>7557851
and timestamp
>>
>>7557851
As beautiful as you are, Borneo. Stealing the round.
>>
>>7557844

good looking crust
>>
>>7557865
awww thank you!
I dunno about stealing the round though, Yellowmug's pizza has me beat
>>
>>7557887
He literally prepared it on a toilet seat I feel like I'm taking crazy pills
>>
>>7557893
>He literally prepared it on a toilet seat I feel like I'm taking crazy pills
they really should've put the tp directly on the seat and not in an ashtray but we can't all be masaokis
>>
>>7557865

kill yourself paladin
>>
>>7557887
Trust me, it doesn't.
>>
>>7557307
>>7557775

These low scores for yellow don't even make sense.
>>
>>7558033
It seems many of the autistic voters can't tell the difference between challenge goals and originality this year.
>>
>>7558033
The pizza looks gross and dry, he served it with cutlery that doesn't match, and he cooked it in the washroom

>inb4 "lmao but it's a joke don't u get it"
>>
File: 100_0437.jpg (1 MB, 2848x2134) Image search: [Google]
100_0437.jpg
1 MB, 2848x2134
Eyepatch here. This is my failed attempt. I tried to cook some chicken and bacon wrapped corn over a fire in my tiny grill, but i live in a wet climate, and the wood I used was way too damp. It ended up smoking way too much and made the chicken turn a weird color. The corn was barely cooking as well. I guess I'm going to try flambeeing something tomorrow even though I've never done it before and everyone else has already done it. It's really the only practical thing I can do unfortunately.
>>
>>7556772

You definitely went all out with the fire. I like the sound of a lot of the things here but I just wonder if it's too much when all put together. For instance, why the jalapeno sauce rather than adding spice to your tomato garlic sauce? Why the parmesan when you already have smoked cheese? Why the scallions when you already have caramelised onions? This all said, the ingredients are all intriguing.

In terms of presentation, I think you could have improved it with simply a round pizza base. Your lighting is also quite yellow which I think is drowning out the colours but there's probably not much you can do about that.

>>7557830

This looks really nice and the mushrooms are very cute. It feels like it's missing some carb for those lovely looking juices and sauce.
>>
>>7558336

>even though I've never done it before and everyone else has already done it
>t's really the only practical thing I can do unfortunately.

Trying something new and fucking up is what it's all about, and how everyone learns.

Flambeeing is as easy as it looks and is perfectly fine, as long as you don't set your kitchen on fire.
>>
>>7558336
use charcoal, brine the corn, wrap meat in aluminum or use less heat. other than those things it sounded great. you have time go again.
>>
>>7558356
I don't think charcoal or aluminum meet the challenge requirements, but I'll look into brineing the corn and maybe give that another shot tomorrow. I don't have time before work to do it today. Weather is supposed to be shittier tomorrow too, but oh well. I might flambee a main dish and serve the corn on the side, even though I think the corn won't really go with what I have in mind.
>>
>>7556772

Presentation: 5/5
Total: 20/20

Hit this one out of the park. The pork alone looks amazing.
>>
>>7558504

trolls be trolling
>>
>>7556772
20/20
My god that delicious pork and free form pizza shape
>>
File: IMG_2893.jpg (557 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2893.jpg
557 KB, 1632x1224
Rain finally cleared up, time to light this guy up.
>>
>>7558605

Consider yourself lucky.

I had snow for two days (when it was otherwise a sunny beginning to Spring), and then 3 days of on and off hail/sleet.

Looking forward to your entry, as always.
>>
File: yellow mug yellow pizza 2.jpg (812 KB, 1984x1488) Image search: [Google]
yellow mug yellow pizza 2.jpg
812 KB, 1984x1488
>>7558349
>Download image
>Open with Gimp
>In Gimp, colour->levels
>Click "point the white", and click the timestamp
>Adjust the levels manually until it looks better
>Export file as .jpg

Gimp is free Photoshop (free as in free speech AND free beer).
>>
>>7558336
The food is way too close to the heat source.
Even though the theme is "fire", you should be cooking with coals not flame.
That's why you are getting soot on the chicken.

Try coals (not fire) on one half of the bottom of the hibachi, then cook the food on the grill out of direct contact with the heat source.

What type of wood was that?
>>
>>7558782
Some kindling I bought at the store. I don't know what kind of wood it is.
>>
>>7558787
Right on.

You should try it again.
>>
>>7558793
I want to go to the beach and cook over a fire with my tripod grill, but the weather has been shitty and I haven't had time because of work. My next day off is tuesday, but that's the last day to enter and it is supposed to rain here.
>>
>>7552348

Total: 11/20

It looks good, but I always find the first few crepes don't turn out as good as the ones you make after them.

>>7555058

It probably would have looked better if you just left out the rice and peas.

>>7556772

Total: 18/20

You've redeemed yourself. It looks great.

>>7557217

Appeal:2 /5

Sort of just looks like a weeknight meal with a little fire added. Beef is overcooked.

>>7557857

The steak looks perfect, but the presentation could be cleaner. A little brightly colored vegetation, even just a garnish, would go a long way.
>>
File: IMG_2919.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2919.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Grilled salmon with a compound butter of parsley, basil, tarragon and lemon.
Fire roasted corn & red jalapeno herb chutney of coriander, parsley, cilantro and lime.
Roasted fingerling potatoes with a garlic butter aioli and chive garnish.

The compound butter was melted ala flambe of Grand Marnier to accentuate a citrus flavor parallel with the lemon in the compound.

The vertical may or may not come due to time constraints, but I threw together a few shots of the process in a "simple" vertical to follow below.
>>
File: simple vert.jpg (4 MB, 2608x4634) Image search: [Google]
simple vert.jpg
4 MB, 2608x4634
>>7558939
>>
Here's my submission:

Grilled pork with rosemary and garlic, summer salad and grilled vegetables.

The pork was first brined overnight for extra taste and juiciness. Then, I heavily studded it with rosemary stalks and garlic cloves, seasoned it and spread some thyme and lemon flavored oil on top. I then proceeded to grill it until I got a nice char on the exterior.

The vegetables are a simple mix of peppers and onions grilled with a bit of oregano.
Finally, the salad was quickly thrown together with spinach, feta, pine nuts, prosciutto and some balsamic vinegar.

I think it turned out nicely, the skin was real crispy and the meat was flavored with the garlic and rosemary, tasted great!
>>
File: DSC06719.jpg (3 MB, 4912x3264) Image search: [Google]
DSC06719.jpg
3 MB, 4912x3264
>>7558971
Fuck I'm retarded, forgot the image
>>
Are you guys wizards?

This food looks so delicious.
>>
>>7558939

Looks great as always nack. The salmon makes my mouth water and the plating is top notch. Great colors.

Constructive criticism:

>as good as the compound butter looks in the vertical, it sort of looks like a giant mold spot in the final image.
>the homemade aioli looks like it was squirted out of a kewpie bottle; i'd go for smaller streaks
>your chutney is the biggest portion, and should probably have been called something like an "herbed succotash" instead
>everything seems to be sitting in a pool of oil
>>
>>7558985

All valid criticism. Probably dipped too far into the pino when I made this, topped the bottle off haha. Good as everything tasted plating has been my strongest hindrance so far in this years challenge. Gotta buckle down in the rounds to follow. Appreciate it.
>>
File: tout-comfie.jpg (101 KB, 755x615) Image search: [Google]
tout-comfie.jpg
101 KB, 755x615
Every plate on /ck/'s Sunday
Every plate is grilled or flambée

Love you'll
>>
File: shrimpnachos1.jpg (243 KB, 949x739) Image search: [Google]
shrimpnachos1.jpg
243 KB, 949x739
Sorry for another flambeed entry, but all i have in my 2nd story apartment is electric, and they only allow electric grills. So.....yeah. I just wanted to make something tasty that would be great for Sunday drinking.

Fiery Tequila Shrimp Nachos with a flaming tequila shot on the side. The fire component is the flambeed shrimp, and and I thought a toasty shot would complement the dish (which it did!)
>>
File: snvertical.jpg (1020 KB, 992x3864) Image search: [Google]
snvertical.jpg
1020 KB, 992x3864
On the nachos are homemade con queso dip and salsa....probably shoulda mentioned that.....
>>
>>7549651
Why would I not take it off for challenge goals. Surely creativity comes into account while interpreting challenge goals.

The way you people want me to judge is 0/5 or 5/5, but sorry that's not going to be the case.

Originality pertains to the originality of the actual dish, and has nothing to do with the challenge theme.

For example, you could could do the most outrageous flame cooking techniques to make your dish, but if in the end it's just steak and potatoes, that's a 1/5 for originality and a 5/5 for Challenge goals
>>
>>7559368
>>7559362
Looks fantastic!
What kind of cheese did you use for the queso? Just curious
>>
>>7559468
thanks! it sure was tasty! still picking at the leftovers with cheap mexican beer. i used sharp cheddar because thats what i had in my fridge and i'm addicted to it....
>>
>>7545967
I havn't seen any of these threads yet. so im new. but nothing that i've seen right now is in season. wtf
>>
>>7556772

fucking beautiful man, best one ITT
>>
File: 1395632329991.gif (2 MB, 350x295) Image search: [Google]
1395632329991.gif
2 MB, 350x295
>>7559427
>>
>>7558349

>why the scallions when you already have caramelised onions

Caramelized onions and scallions have very different tastes and textures.
>>
>>7559969
Yellowmugs samefagging in this thread is fucking disgusting, he should be disqualified
>>
>>7560191
it was almost as bad last round
>>
>>7558939
The "of this" and "of that" is pretty tired.
>[the butter] was melted ala flambe of Grand Marnier to accentuate a citrus flavor parallel
No it wasn't.
Butter doesn't "flambe" so there is no "a la" , and flambe doesn't "accentuate" "citrus flavor parallels". You are full of shit. Your mouth is shit and your mouth words are shit. You are full of shit.
>>
>>7560595
>I don't understand how techniques work so I'll just say he's full of shit instead.
>>
>>7560679

it was a really pretentious, awkward description dude.
>>
>>7560595
>Butter doesn't "flambe" so there is no "a la"
But gran mariner clearly does.

>and flambe doesn't "accentuate" "citrus flavor parallels"

Again, the Gran mariner does. It tastes like orange, which is a citrus. Thus it would accentuate the flavor of the lemon used.

I do, however, agree with you that >>7558939 needs to work on his wording through.
>>
>>7560595

>getting this mad at someone describing what's in their food

maximum levels of autism
>>
>>7560708

It's *how* the food was described that is triggering people. It's just plain bad grammar. Abysmally bad.
>>
>>7560695

>But gran mariner clearly does.

so what does the 'ala' mean? the butter was used to mount the flambeed gran marnier? the butter and gran marnier were flambeed together (obviously unlikely)? to say the butter was melted 'ala' i.e: 'in the manner of' flambe of gran marnier is just a really fucking pretentious and inaccurate way of saying 'with', 'by' or 'into'.

>Again, the Gran mariner does. It tastes like orange, which is a citrus. Thus it would accentuate the flavor of the lemon used.

yes, it would accentuate the flavour of the lemon. that's not what he said though. he said it 'accentuates citrus flavour parallels'. it's cryptic, incoherent and confusing. only at the 'with the lemon' part does it start to make any sense. it seems to me that adding it would PROVIDE a parallel (you might even call it an 'accent') of citrus flavour, but it wouldn't 'accentuate' a parallel that wasn't there in the first place.
>>
>>7560717

>>>/lit/

you should check this board out and maybe stay there a while, this is a cooking board not a grammar nazi camp
>>
>>7560725
>this is a cooking board not a grammar nazi camp

Yep. We normally don't complain about things like that here. Which should make it apparent just how bad that post was in order for it to draw ire like it did.
>>
>>7560728

that would imply these threads havent already been full of trolls causing shit storms from absolutely nothing like its been the last 3 rounds or are you forgetting TomGate 2016?
>>
>>7560725
>>7560738

No ones gonna complain when you use simple English in an effective way. However, it doesn't matter what the context is, when you commit overambitious, misleading language to written text, it will piss off anyone who knows better.
>>
>>7560781

>no ones gonna complain

im sorry have you even read the last few threads?
everyone complains literally about everything
>>
>>7558939
>le butter was ala melted to ala the allah akhbar guys xDD

fuck off Nack, you have no idea what you're talking about
>>
>>7560818

Love you too buttercup.

Kisses!
>>
>>7557830
Steak didn't touch flames
>>7558939
Charcoal doesn't count as fire in my book.
>>7558974
Challenge Goals: 0/5
grilling /= fire unless actual wood was used
Congrats for being the only non flambe dish so far, even though what you did didn't meet the challenge goals imo.
>>7559362
only the shrimp touched flame
>>
>>7558939
>The compound butter was melted ala flambe of Grand Marnier to accentuate a citrus flavor parallel with the lemon in the compound.

literal autism
>>
>>7559362

Looks good Rei. I probably would have done one half salsa and one half queso dip, or something other than stacking them directly on top of one another.

Why you gotta set my drink on fire though?

>not sure if the lime is extra large or if everything else is miniature sized
>>
File: img_006.jpg (84 KB, 686x960) Image search: [Google]
img_006.jpg
84 KB, 686x960
>>7556772

>charred scallions à la Masaokis
>>
>>7560970
Well, can't change your vote, (nor do I want to) but in my opinion, fire is fire... Doesn't matter if it's from wood or propane
>>
>>7556772
Appearance: 1/5
Challenge Goals: 4/55

Fuck you and everyone jerking you off over this pretentious pieceofshitzza
>>
>>7552348

>>7555058

>>7556772

>>7557217

>>7557857

>>7558939

>>7558974

>>7559362

>>
File: 100_0444.jpg (1 MB, 2848x2134) Image search: [Google]
100_0444.jpg
1 MB, 2848x2134
Eyepatch here. I pretty much stopped caring about this round after yesterdays failure and not being able to do what I planned. Here's a flambed peppercorn steak. I guess it was fun trying something new, but I really wanted to do something different than everyone else.
>>
File: 100_0443.jpg (1 MB, 2848x2134) Image search: [Google]
100_0443.jpg
1 MB, 2848x2134
>>7561592
Here's a better pic of timestamp and identifier.
>>
>>7561592

Lewd.
>>
>>7561592
Appearance: 5/5
Challenge: 5/5

I would eat your dick steak over at least 3/4s of the other dishes posted ITT, including Yellowfag's meme pizza and Nach's lemon citrus parallel bullshit.
>>
File: fire.jpg (873 KB, 1400x932) Image search: [Google]
fire.jpg
873 KB, 1400x932
>>7561592
Here's the fire.
>>
>>7561624
hardcore
>>
>>7561592
Yeah, flambe is pretty much lazy mode. Would have been cool to see something like what you were trying.
What kind of steak? (cut)
>>
>>7561643

Looks like a standard circumcision.
>>
>>7561643
Flank
>>7561650
If I would have been quicker, I would have named the pic "tube steak"
>>
>>7561592
>>7561599
Did you,,, did you cut it WITH the grain?!
>>
>>7561662
I don't know man, I just fucking cut it. I don't cook or eat much steak.
>>
>>7561662

He sure did.

I knew there was something that looked wrong and I just couldn't place it.
>>
>>7558939

Looks decent and interesting.

>>7558974
The vegetables all look yummy. It's just a bit of a simple dish but definitely appealing.

>>7559362

A lot of nice colours but I don't think one can really make nachos look that attractive. There's too much cheese in my opinion but otherwise the execution is well done.

>>7561599
Nice dick. Sorry about your failure. I hope you still make it to the next round.
>>
>>7561662
>>7561669
why is that bad?
>>
>>7561676
Cutting with the grain makes for tougher meat. When you cut across the grain, you cut fibers and therefore make it more tender.
>>
>>7561682
Cool. That explains why it was so tough. Even though most of my entries have been shit, I've been having fun learning new things about cooking. I don't even care that I look like an idiot.
>>
>>7561691
Meh, I don't think you look like an idiot. The whole point of this is to try new shit and get better at cooking.
So yeah, even if it didn't turn out fantastic, who cares really? Hopefully you're having fun in the end.
>>
>>7561698

>the whole point of this is to try new shit and get better at cooking

This.

It's about creating OC around a common theme and having fun cooking/critiquing.

Was it a good idea to eat 2/3 of the steak and then shape it into a penis? Probably not, but it's still better than not submitting anything.
>>
>>7556772
Not too shabby man, looks great!
>>
>>7561760
For fuck's sake. At least make it a bit more subtle.
>>
>>7561760

Prizes should not be given to those who blatantly vote for their own shit.
>>
>>7561779
I highly doubt yellowmug even votes for his entries. Sadly, trolls just found that his submissions are an easy way to bring shit in this thread.
>>
>>7561794

Just ignore them.

Replying only fuels the fire.
>>
>>7561794
>trolls
I'm still not fully convinced it isn't just one guy trying to shit up the entire competition. Especially when you look at the number of posters vs. number of replies.
>>
>>7560970
>Charcoal doesn't count as fire in my book.

>grilling /= fire unless actual wood was used

You are a stupid person. You don't cook over direct fire, whether it's wood OR charcoal. You cook over the coals. Both wood AND charcoal catch on FIRE and will produce FLAME.
This is why I dropped out: idiot voters who don't know shit about food or cooking. Hilarious to watch the shit show, though.
>>
>>7552348

>>7555058

>>7556772
Total: 17/20

>>7557217

>>7557830

>>7558939

>>7558974

>>7559362

>>7561592
>>
>>7545967
every time I see that image, I imagine the spoons and forks to be celebrity chefs hanging by their necks
>>
>>7561313
thanks! the 1/2 and 1/2 is a good idea, probably more presentable.

I thought putting the shot on fire would be nice presentation for the challenge, although i did feel bad making a flaming shooter of extra anejo tequilla. I figured i generally water it down with water, and burning off some of the alcohol would give the same effect and the heat would enhance the flavor....it kinda worked...idk tequila generally isnt my thing...

and i think the lime looks big because its the closest object to the camera...but i'm no scientist....
>>
>>7562292

>probably more presentable

The presentation is great, but in practical terms I personally don't like my nacho toppings that uniform (especially hot cheese, cold salsa, hot shrimp).

I would devour that plate, and am really just nitpicking/thinking about how I would have done it.
>>
File: roundfive.png (308 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
roundfive.png
308 KB, 500x281
fire blackened red pepper soup with herbed sour cream

vertical incoming
>>
File: vertfive.png (764 KB, 525x1400) Image search: [Google]
vertfive.png
764 KB, 525x1400
>>7562332
>>
>>7562332
Simple but appealing. I think the presentation and appeal could have been improved by some extra, solid elements to give texture and change to the dish.
>>
>>7561592

Appeal: 0/5
Total: 6/20

Looks like you made a steak and arranged the scraps into a penis. Really doesn't look appealing.

>>7562332

Really great presentation for a simple soup. The dried basil sour cream doesn't seem too appealing, but everything else sounds pretty good.
>>
>>7562332
>>
>>7556772

If you added the words "artisinal", "organic", and "locally sourced" to the description, you could legitimately sell this for upwards of $20 in San Francisco or NYC. Best entry (so far) this round.
>>
>>7562332
reminds me too much of pizza hut sauce drizzle which is disgusting. Also just looks like mayo. I would have gone with some kind of simple zigzag pattern that's thinner.
>>
>>7562505

>20/20

I want you to take a screen shot of your post, print it out, have you sign the bottom, get it notarized by a certified coupled with a signed legal document verified by no less than two lawyers and approved by a legal third party, scanned back into a pdf document and posted in this thread so myself, and everyone here can without a doubt, confirmed by both government issued bodies and legality firms that are practiced and backed by United States of America, that you are OFFICIALLY the biggest FUCKING retard that has every posted on the world wide web.
>>
>>7562559

How do you post a pdf on 4chan?
>>
File: cnJ3LQx.gif (1016 KB, 500x700) Image search: [Google]
cnJ3LQx.gif
1016 KB, 500x700
>>7562559
>>
>>7562567

like this

http://people.oregonstate.edu/~cassadye/GoodMorningTranscript.pdf
>>
>>7562332
why no grilled croutons tho?
>>
>>7562588

Not fantastic, but that's actually a really good idea.

Maybe do a couple large croutons brushed with clarified butter, dusted with spices and paprika, and given grill marks.
>>
>>7562620

>paprika

This is a fire challenge bro. Cayenne or bust.
>>
>>7562646

Cayenne for taste, paprika for color.
>>
>>7562588
>>7562353
>>7562620
lack of forethought, possibly laziness. crusty bread of some sort definitely would have been a good thing.
>>
>>7559362
>>7559368
this looks so good. I've never thought about making my own queso, I guess I know my next project.
>>
>>7562757

Some crusty bread on the side would have been nice, but I think your presentation is really nice as is.

>>7562790

There have been a few, "how to make queso dip I can eat at room temperature" threads recently, and I've always responded by telling them to look into molecular gastronomy.

Queso is easy. Just saute your peppers and spices, add some bechamel (or liason of choice), and throw in shredded cheese while continuously stirring until it's melty and delicious. The same technique can be used to make any variation of mac and cheese, just tossing it with cooked pasta at the end.
>>
>>7552348

>>7555058

>>7556772
Presentation: 2/5 (very one color)

>>7557217
Originality: 2/5 (nothing special)
Appeal: 4/5 (looks tasty)

>>7557830
Presentation: 3/5 (can't see steak for the sauce)
Originality: 2/5 (steak and mushrooms)

>>7558939
Presentation: 4/5 (something about that chili corn)
Originality: 2/5 (not very original)

>>7558974
Originality: 2/5 (standard dish)

>>7559362
Presentation: 4/5 (tying drink with dish)
Originality: 4/5 (flambe and flaming shot)
Total: 18/20

>>7561599
Presentation: 1/5 (dirty plate)
Originality: 3/5 (steak no sides inventive portioning)
Appeal: 1/5 (portioning messed up steak)
Challenge Goals: 3/5 (fire)

>>7562332
Originality: 2/5 (soup not original)
>>
>>7563146

Explanation as to why yellowmug lost a point on challenge goals?
>>
>>7563169
sorry i forgot to paste in that comment (I think the burning toilet paper goes too far and is strange)
>>
>>7563207

>I think the burning toilet paper goes too far and is strange

Fair enough, but it's still a bit silly to take off challenge goal points for an entry that did what you think is too much with the challenge goals, and did more than any other entry.

Masaokis was the champion of /ck/ years before joey or jack. See >>7556833 if you're not familiar with him.
>>
Bubbles, if you seriously count all the samefag 20/20's given to himself by yellowmug (someone feel free to explain how that presentation was anything even subjectively over a 2-3) then your competition loses all validity and the person who loses their place because Yellow knows there's so many betas ready to scream 'TROLLS' as soon as someone questions his stupid samefag ratings, then that person should sue you for the cost of all the money spent on ingredients in every round so far.
>>
File: thefucknigga.jpg (120 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
thefucknigga.jpg
120 KB, 800x800
>>7563265
>>
>>7563258
>>7563270
>>7563169
So are you his personal cocksucker, or is this just him samefagging some more?
>>
>>7563265
I feel like there is always a high score or two submitted out of place by the poster of the dish in every round (EVERY ROUND).... we need a way to get around this... It's so simple to post a dish, and then hours later post a high score as 'anon'
>>
File: Qh9ceYz.jpg (266 KB, 1598x2357) Image search: [Google]
Qh9ceYz.jpg
266 KB, 1598x2357
>>7563284
every rating needs a picture and timestamp of their kitchen as well as the dish submissions. It's the only way.
>>
>>7563284
Yeah, but what's far more annoying than that is as soon as someone dares to point it out people immediately jump in screaming IGNORE THE TROLLS! Yellowmugs 19's and 20's should he disregarded.
>>
>>7563258
adding something to a dish should improve the dish. I believe that the TP thing if left out would only improve it. but, I may just not understand the reference.
>>
>>7556772

Wow, it looks like a great dish
>>
File: IMG_20160411_185355.jpg (770 KB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160411_185355.jpg
770 KB, 4160x3120
It is my displeasure to inform you all that I am withdrawing myself from the competition. I may be back in future rounds for fun but with exams going on (4th Year Electrical Engineering) I have fallen behind for this week and I cannot continue participating competitively.

Thank you to bubbles for running this and for my competitors, good luck.
>>
>>7564209
Really sucks so see you go man, but I understand the struggle of engineering exams, I'm lucky to be in an internship right now, otherwise, I'd be in the same boat.

Good luck for your exams!
>>
>>7552348

>>7555058

>>7556772

>>7557217

>>7557830

>>7558939

Total: 16/20

>>7558974

>>7559362

>>7561592

>>7562332

>>
Is this round ending at midnight or going to noon tomorrow like the last round?
>>
>>7565570
I assume midnight. The only reason last week was extended was because there wasnt a new thread for half a dayish
>>
>>7552348

>>7555058

>>7556772

>>7557217

>>7557830

>>7558939

>>7558974

>>7559362
Total: 16/20

>>7562332
>>
Round closed?
>>
>>7566211

Yes
>>
>>7556772
Nearly fucking perfect, hell you made me go out and buy a pizza for dinner tonight

>>7557217
Looks a bit bland

>>7557830
Mushrooms are gross

>>7558939
Looks soggy

>>7559362
Could've been better
>>
>>7566254

Rounds closed faggot, go home.
>>
>>7566255
Yellowmug has to get his final dumbass rating in for himself
>>
Where are yooooou bubblelicious?
>>
>>7567468

New rounds have always been started later in the day.

Bubble has to tally up the scores and probably has other responsibilities outside of /ck/.
>>
File: Snapchat-8134598397940381872.jpg (765 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-8134598397940381872.jpg
765 KB, 1440x2560
lmao check out my cubans. made a spicy mojo sauce for dippin
>>
>>7567620

Looks a bit heavy on the mustard, otherwise looks pretty good.

The baguette looks great, but is wrong for a cuban (probably still good, just not traditional).

Nothing wrong with sharing OC, just know it doesn't count towards the contest.
>>
>>7567637
Copy that. Thanks though bro.
>>
Got home, tallying scores, and working on the new thread. Please keep this one saged until the new one is up.
>>
>>7568409
ok
>>
>>7568409

Sounds good
>>
new thread
>7568487
>>
breddy good thread
>>
>>7567620
18/20, bread looks whack but the presentation left me breathless
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Ok r(h)ate me /ck/
>Swiss Gruyere
>fire
That was delicious
>>
>>7570716
This is the cheese, is pretty good
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>7570723
Forgot pic
>>
>>7570716
looks good
Thread replies: 253
Thread images: 46

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.