[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Curry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4
File: Curry Spices.jpg (101 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Curry Spices.jpg
101 KB, 1024x768
What makes a fantastic curry?
>>
Grinding the paste in a mortar and pestle
>>
>>7543039
Ghee
>>
Toasting your spices, whether they're whole or ground. Also coconut milk instead of yogurt or cream, but that's a personal preference.
>>
Ingredients
>>
It goes in the garbage and you don't eat boiled vomit. Curry is gross.
>>
>>7543104
>"ewwwwww"

Great contribution to the thread. We're lucky to have folks like you on this board.
>>
>>7543039
Not adding chili powder.
>>
Anyone have an authentic curry recipe?
>>
A couple of six packs.
>>
>>7543072
>>7543063
>>7543067
These. Also use fresh spices/herbs and grind them yourself if you can, and cook it for as long as possible.
>>
If you're using garam masala, don't add that in with the spices that need to be toasted. It goes in at the end, when you've taken the pan off the heat.
>>7543194
Same, I've been using curry powder a lot and I'd like a recipe that doesn't need it but also doesn't require me to grind spices (I don't have a mortle & pestle or a spice grinder)
>>
>>7543205
>and cook it for as long as possible.

Wouldn't there be a point where cooking it too long make it bland?
>>
>>7543267
The spices aren't going anywhere son. Just make sure it doesn't get over-reduced.
>>
>>7543329
At what point does a curry become too thick? Should it be gravy-like (thicker) or stew-like (thinner)?
>>
Sweet potatoes, apples and extra red peppper.
>>
File: dsc_3262.jpg (242 KB, 1000x670) Image search: [Google]
dsc_3262.jpg
242 KB, 1000x670
>>7543342
It doesn't matter. I like thick curry. Almost paste-like for some things.
>>
>>7543342
Depends what curry and your personal preference. Gravy-like I'd say for most Indian-style curries.
>>
>>7543039
I use an electric coffee grinder to make my spices really fine after toasting them and it works pretty well. Also, skimming the top of your curry after adding tomatoes helps quite a bit to remove the bitters.
>>
>>7543329
>Implying dry meat curry isn't GOAT curry
>>
Potatoes, nuts, and pineapple
>>
>>7543370
>Implying slow-cooked on-the-bone Goat curry isn't GOAT curry
>>
Rate my curry recipe, /ck/.

>get a couple of whole cinnamon sticks, cloves, and cardamom pods in hot oil, sautee until they pop
>remove and brown bite sized boneless chicken thighs (usually 3 or 4 work well)
>remove chicken and set aside, sautee 1 tbs of ginger and 2-3 minced cloves of garlic until fragrant
>add in 1 tbs madras curry powder, 1 tbs paprika, 1 tbs turmeric, and 1 tsp cayenne, toast everything before adding 1 chopped onion and 1 cup of tomato paste
>deglaze using a little chicken stock, cook until onions start to really soften up, add 2 cups of stock total
>simmer until onions are completely soft and stock has reduced/thickened up, add the chicken back in along with either frozen peas or baby spinach, cook until everything is thoroughly mixed and the greens are cooked or wilted
>add 1 tbs of coconut sugar and 1 can of coconut milk, take off the heat
>add fish sauce to taste
>>
>>7543430
Oh I forgot, squeeze half a lime into it at the end too.
>>
>>7543039
A cup of holy bull semen. Also don't forget to eat your curry on the toilet so even with the instant diarrhea you can still put the poo in the loo.
>>
Indian food is very difficult to cook well. I meant I can make a decent curry, but it's never nearly as good as the stuff you get in small indian restaurants, so I tend to stick to western cooking
>>
>>7543430
>>7543444
Sounds good Anon. Baby Spinach sounds a bit odd to me, but otherwise is good.
>>
Wiping your ass with your bare hand and then washing it off in a bucket full of shitty water, then touching the meat with your bare hands helps with the flavor a lot
>>
>>7543452
It's the tandoor. They give meat a really nice sear that is hard to do at home.
>>
>>7543496
Thanks, and yeah it's unusual but the spinach ends up being really nice and tender
>>
>>7543039
toasting your spices. always toast your spices before you do anything else.
>>
File: 1446411494324.jpg (11 KB, 214x317) Image search: [Google]
1446411494324.jpg
11 KB, 214x317
>>7543123
M'lady
>>
>>7543498
>being 13 years old
>>
I used to work as a home care nurse andHaleemient who was a super old Indian dude. Whenever I went to his house, his wife would not let me leave without eating lunch with them.

Introduced me to a shitload of awesome Indian foods, namely
Kichdi (spiced lentil rice)
Biryani (spicy rice with meat)
Haleem (basically meat porridge)
Curry of literally every vegetable and meat imaginable
Daal (lentil soup)
Spicy pickle
etc.

All good shit
>>
>>7543039
POO
>>
>>7543889
did you learn how to make any, and if so can you share?
>>
>>7543927

in
>>
>>7544189
THE
>>
File: hotpocket-munchers.jpg (132 KB, 761x374) Image search: [Google]
hotpocket-munchers.jpg
132 KB, 761x374
TAKE
>>
>>7544263
LOO
>>
>>7543039
Quality ingredients, a chef that knows what they're doing and isn't in the country illegally, proper hygeine, and a sauce so thick you can scoop it with a fork.

There's a few places around here that are just fucking delicious. I have no idea what's good other than chicken tikka masala, though.
>>
A shitload of onions and not fannying about with the spices helps.

So many recipes use barely a teaspoon of each spice, and then people wonder why their curry is naff.
>>
>>7543072
I don't think I've ever seen coconut in a proper Indian, only Thai.
>>
>>7543342
Somewhere in between. I always have it over rice so I like a sauce like consistency.
>>
>>7543889
I'm jelly af.
I would've asked them to hook me up with a qt Injun girl.
>>
>>7544733

Pretty common in southern cuisines. Most people are more familiar with northern stuff though, like Punjabi cuisine, which uses an assload of dairy
>>
>>7543039
I do.
>>
>>7543448
>ctrl-f
>poo

Thank you my dear friend

POO IN LOO
O
O

I
N

L
O
O
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.