[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come /ck/ doesn't have a sticky? I'm a complete
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 500x500
How come /ck/ doesn't have a sticky? I'm a complete newbie to the board and to cooking and I hate creating "where do I start" threads but fuck... No sticky.

How do I learn to cook? What kitchen tools are essential? What skills are essential? What dishes are essential?

What are the best books/websites/YouTube channels for learning to cook in general, and getting good recipes? Does organic/GMO make a difference or is it marketing bullshit? Obviously Google exists but there is SO MUCH SHIT that I'd at least like a direction to look in.

thanks /ck/
>>
Because nothing in cooking is universal. Methods, ingredients, traditions, tastes, all vary significantly from region to region.

You learn to cook by cooking.
Essential tools, skills, and dishes, obviously vary by region.
>>
File: image.png (3 MB, 2018x1108) Image search: [Google]
image.png
3 MB, 2018x1108
>>7541918
Makes complete sense but I guess I'm asking for what the individual users of /ck/ would reccomend. Places to start, best resources, etc etc
>>
Foodwishes
Alton Brown's GoodEats
Jamie Oliver's FoodTube and various TV shows
Gordon Ramsey's youtube channel and various TV shows
Gennaro Contaldo's youtube channel
SortedFood

Yummly for recipe inspiration.
Pick food, make food, evaluate food, repeat.
>>
>>7541922
Think of food you like. Google recipes. Buy ingredients (and cookware, if you need it). Then try to make it. Cooking is pretty easy, you just follow instructions.
>>
>>7541927
>>just follow the instructions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp8vd4X3IGg
>>
>>7541910
>there is food i like
>search google for recipies
>follow recipie
>>
>>7541910
best website, although the cute older lady that made the videos doesn't make em anymore. there are hundreds of super helpful things though. www.startcooking.com
>>
>>7541910
The sole reason "stickies" exist are due to dumb people who can't figure simple shit out on their own.
>>
>>7541926
Appreciate the recommendations. I once watched a doc on the history of food with Alton Brown and I really liked him. I don't have a TV but I'll see if it's on Netflix or Hulu.

>>7541930
>>7541927
I guess, as ridiculous as it sounds, I don't know many food I like. Parents never cooked. We ate donuts and pizza and burgers my whole life. Since living on my own I've only ever made ramen, pasta, and grilled cheese. Otherwise I'm eating fast food or some bullshit.
>>
>>7541922
> I guess I'm asking for what the individual users of /ck/ would reccomend. Places to start, best resources, etc etc
Sounds like you are looking to figure out which tribe to join. Food is tribal, my way is the One True Way and anyone who disagrees with me is a (pick one):

>Heathen
>Pretentious faggot
>Fat Slob
>Yuppie
>Hipster
>Inauthentic whitebread
>Flyover
>Shitskin Poo In Loo
>Cuck
>Soccer mom chemophobe
>GMO shill
>Carnist
>Vegan
>McDonalds shill
>Joey shitposter
>Fedora
>Autist

Anyway pick your camp and we can give you a personality to glom onto. For now most of these suggestions will be completely out of context and will not resonate with your subculture at all.
>>
>>7541940
THIS is exactly what I was looking for, thank you anon
>>
>>7541945
Are you picky?
Do not be picky
Do NOT be picky
All food made with heartfelt effort is good, it's just a matter of learning to appreciate it.
>>
>>7541951
I guess "pretentious faggot" is the closest to what I'm going for. I'd like a staple of simple recipes to make for myself on a regular basis so that I don't have to eat fast food shit, but also a handful of somewhat fancy/impressive dishes to make for women.
>>
>>7541957
I don't like beans or seafood, but other than that I'm pretty good to go.
>>
>>7541965
Start liking beans, pulses are the foundation of vegetable protein

If by seafood you're including fish, that is ridiculous and needs to be fixed asap.
>>
>>7541963
Mark Bittman is your man. Ignore literally everything else in this thread.
>>
>>7541945
pick a random thing and be like, i wonder how that goes. start by picking an animal and finding a recipe that revolves around eating it. find that shit and follow it religiously. you can fuck around with recipes when you've cooked enough to understand what your improvisations are likely to do and what you're likely to enjoy.
>>
>>7541999
this works pretty well for forgiving stuff like beef tenderloin and bacon, or mussels in white wine

it is a recipe for "I hate ______" when it's done with something that requires a bit of skill and pristine ingredients, such as offal, certain meats like duck anything or the shank meat of larger critters, and many kinds of vegetable
>>
>>7541941
Yeah exactly. That's what I'm looking for
>>
>>7541986
Rad. Thanks.

>>7541973
I guess I should say I don't like the beans or seafood that I've had before. Haven't had much. Ex gf used to cook fish (don't even remember what kind, but it was only 1 she cooked repeatedly) and I couldn't even pretend to like.
>>
>>7541986
Googled him and his "how to cook everything" book series seems fucking perfect. Thank you anon

He has a vegetarian book and I'm casually dating one so that's even better.

I'm gonna cook her some bullshit and then get head. :3
>>
Has anyone actually tried making a sticky? We're unlikely to get one if we don't make it ourselves.
>>
>>7542089
Fuck off
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.