[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/ck/, school me on cutting boards. right now i just have shitty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: 91mUXPxzhyL._SL1500_.jpg (290 KB, 1500x1020) Image search: [Google]
91mUXPxzhyL._SL1500_.jpg
290 KB, 1500x1020
/ck/, school me on cutting boards. right now i just have shitty plastic cutting boards and i want to buy myself a decent one, particularly with a little ridge to catch the juices if you're cutting up a roast or something. what materials/brands should i look at? what kind of maintenance do they require? i don't want some stupidly expensive meme cutting board, just something that works well and is durable.
>>
File: 1458356573586.jpg (75 KB, 640x413) Image search: [Google]
1458356573586.jpg
75 KB, 640x413
I think you should just look to buy a nice standard rectangular cutting board. I have one of those cutting boards with the plastic sheets for each meat type/bread/veg/fruit and its actually fucking terrible. I'd rather just clean and sanitize it each time than deal with those gimmicks. Just keep it standard imo.
>>
>>7541718
>i don't want some stupidly expensive meme cutting board,
Unfortunately for you, the best bang for the buck is an ugly ass hard rubber board from a restaurant supply store

Performance wise, the only way to improve on this is end grain, and decent quality end grain boards are "stupidly expensive meme cutting boards"
>>
>>7541718

Just buy a cheap bamboo cutting board like pictured. You can get them from under 5 bucks.

Plastic is for professional kitchens where they have to obey anal regulations (also more easily color coded).

End grain hardwood is to make a complete set with your carbon steel rust fast knives and tinned copper pans.
>>
>>7541830
Bamboo is horrible for your edge though, I hope you enjoy dull knives and/or sharpening all the time. Plenty of restaurants use hard rubber boards because they have all the advantages of plastic (except the color), plus they are almost as good as end grain for edge retention.

Yes, you a lot of shitty plastic ones too, especially at places like Subway and Olive Garden, but you don't have to obey anal regulations at home.
>>
>>7541845
How is bamboo any different from wood as far as edge retention goes?

Common sense would suggest it's not a problem at all since bamboo, being a plant, is much softer than a steel knife.
>>
>>7541883

Has high silica content. Actual experiments to show that's relevant are in short supply though. Trying to push wood out of the way for a shallow cut isn't really the same as pushing a plane through it. Nor is judging the sharpness as easy.

I'd like to see someone do an abrasion test on various cutting board some time with a semi-scientific sharpness tend at the end (ie. cutting sisal rope while trying to keep pressure constant).
>>
File: calfee.jpg (15 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
calfee.jpg
15 KB, 275x183
>>7541883
The fibers of different woods have different properties, and the orientation of the fiber and the treatment of the board also matter. Your typical treated bamboo cutting board, with the fibers perpendicular to the cutting angle, has an effective janka hardness of 3000+ which is much more destructive to a knife edge than a perpendicularly oriented untreated end grain oak board (typically 1000-1500).

Remember that resinated bamboo is used for high end bike frames.

Just get hard rubber, you can pick up some other useful stuff while you're at the restaurant supply shop.
>>
>>7541718

plastic are the best.

wood warps.
>>
Buy a medium grain wood and coat it with mineral oil for 3 days.

Good to go. Doesn't get much easier.
>>
>>7541981
>you can pick up some other useful stuff while you're at the restaurant supply shop
what other types of things are good deals at restaurant supply shops?
>>
>>7542150
Lots of stuff. Cookware especially. I only buy my nonstick pans at restaurant shops, they're ugly but they're also made of good thick aluminum, and when they wear out in 5-6 years I don't feel bad about tossing them and buying a new one. All the performance of a fancy all clad nonstick, but for like 1/4 the price.

You can get somewhat nicer looking, arguably more comfortable standard cookware from brands like All Clad or Cuisinart, through retail channels (or Amazon) and I think it's justifiable to spend more on a nice pan since restaurants abuse their stuff and have no reason to care for aesthetics. But if you're trying to be frugal, the restaurant stuff usually performs just as well as the fanciest home stuff, at a significantly lower price.

Most of the cutlery is utility oriented and tends to be ugly and made of softer steels to handle commercial kitchen abuse. If you like that sort of thing, it can also be a good deal, personally I prefer my lasers and weeb swords so I don't get my knives from places like that.
>>
Protip: Buy a thin piece of high quality board and clamp it to a cheap base to catch juices
>>
Where are all these magical restaurant supply stores? I've never seen one.
>>
>>7542375
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=restaurant+supply+MY_CITY
>>
>>7542375
Google it? I know of a couple in Seattle just from driving by them. They tend to be in more industrial parts of town.
>>
>>7541718
I have no advice for you, OP, I just wanted to thank you for not saying 'redpill me on cutting boards'
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.