[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Got bored the other day, cooked a steak sous vide with chimichurri
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: RI3356A.jpg (900 KB, 4250x2390) Image search: [Google]
RI3356A.jpg
900 KB, 4250x2390
Got bored the other day, cooked a steak sous vide with chimichurri in the bag and browned the steak by deep frying it.

Sous vide thread I guess.
>>
looks gross mate, sorry
>>
>>7540406
how about you let your fucking steak rest next time? all that blood on the plate.
And if youre gonna make a pic to post, please learn to plate.
>>
>>7540406

Looks like trash... Should have just done it on the pan anf actually cook all of that fat, I can just imagine the chewy pieces of fat in my mouth, if you had done it in a pan it would have browned nicely and actually look appetizing.
>>
>>7540406
Damn op....I bet those fries were probably good
>>
>>7540731
Urine idiot.
>>7540748
>on the pan anf actually cook all of that fat, I can just imagine the chewy pieces of fat in my mouth
>anf actually cook all of that fat
The fat breaks down during the long cook.
Meh, you'll never understand. Nvm.
>>
just sear it on high heat on a pan you fuck

no point in deep frying it after you marinate it
>>
>>7540780
What's the weather like up your own ass?
Keep your head there
and our of threads you know nothing about.
>>
>>7540731
It's oil an juice from the meat, not blood.
>>
>>7540731

a) it's not fucking blood
b) there's barely any of it
>>
>>7540406
Aus fag here. We have a chain called Hog's Breath that sous vide their steaks for 18 hours and all the tough bits turn really tender - almost too tender as I do like a bit of resistance in my meat.
>>
>>7540748
i can imagine the chewy fat, too, and it sounds awesome
>>
>>7540817
>>7540792
>>7540406
>>7540775
can't tell if serious
>>
>>7540892

i'm serious. it's not blood, and there's barely any of it on the plate. unrested steaks can look far worse.
>>
>>7540892
blood is drained from the animal before they are packaged. anything red is called myoglobin, not hemoglobin you fucking cunt.
>>
>>7540892

either bait or a child, in which case you need to be 18 or older to post on this website
>>
>>7540792
I'm not the anon you replied to but what is wrong with pan searing a steak after you sous vide it in marinade? This is a legitimate way of cooking steak.
>>
>>7540962

nothing wrong with it, the people who say there's 'no point' in non-traditional methods are annoying though.
>>
>>7540971
Yeah true. I really enjoy a steak that has been sous vide for an entire day and then putting it on the pan for that nice outside.
>>
>>7540775
But I Lika to Burna da
Skin the meat a lil bit, is steak really better sous vide?
>>
>>7540406
IT'S RAWWWW
>>
>>7541011

you cook the steak with sous vide. you burn the steak with something else.

it's very rare that anyone will sous vide something without finishing it in a pan or over a flame or whatever.
>>
>>7541017
Oh I'm retarded then I thought it was all or none, I'll have try it sometime, do you prefer one I the purpose built devices or just a well maintained water bath/pot?
>>
>>7541027

there are two basic scenarios when you cook meat sous vide - either you're just ensuring it's 'perfectly cooked' i.e: brought evenly to a precise temperature, or you're doing the uniquely magical thing sous vide does i.e: breaking down the connective tissue of tough cuts very slowly at a temperature low enough to preserve the flavour and structure of the muscle.

with a cooler, or a sink, or a pot on the stove, in combination with a thermometer, you can engage in the first scenario perfectly easily. if you can set your thermometer to alarm you when the temperature dips below a threshold, and you're prepared to get up from the sofa and boil the kettle/turn the hob on or whatever at whatever subdivision of the cook time is necessary, it's ok. most of the cook times in this scenario are less than a couple of hours. fish takes about 20-30 minutes, steaks generally take around 120. it's tedious but it works.

now for the second scenario - this is a fucking nightmare. it's like having a newborn baby. it just doesn't work. at a stretch you could do it to chicken thighs (around 6 hours for good results) or calamari (again 3-6) but i tried it with pork belly and afterwards i was like, fuck that.

if you want to experience everything sous vide has to offer, you have to buy or make an automatic device that regulates the temperature of the water and ideally circulates it. can't really get around it. it is actually a convenient method to cook if you have the equipment and planning in place. you don't even have to cook in the kitchen - i set up the water bath in my study when i'm using it. all you need is a box with a lid and heat-stable zip-loc bags.

however, something like sous vide salmon could not be simpler. fill a cooler with 52C degree water, put oil in a ziploc bag, put the fish into the bag, displace the air from the bag and zip it up, put the salmon in the water and close the lid. 20 minutes later you're laughing.
>>
>>7541068
We'll right on, yeah I'm not trying to wait in the meal like that-sounds more time consuming then smoking meats. going with the purpose built device sounds like it would make it really legit. I'll have to see if I can DIY something, the ones ive seen are pretty expensive and I'm not trying to use it over wifi or anything that fancy.
Thanks for explaining the difference
>>
>>7540406
>not cutting off the fat
>>
>>7541103
If he didn't want fat he shoulda gone with sirloin.
>>
holy shit some of you man children actually trim the fat off of your steaks
killyourselfmyman.png
>>
>>7541103
>not eating the fat
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.