[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
American produce that isn't terrible
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: VOC-logo.png (106 KB, 444x475) Image search: [Google]
VOC-logo.png
106 KB, 444x475
Which fruits and vegetables are actually better in America than in any other country in the world?

I've lived on about 3 continents and produce in America for the most part ranges from mediocre to shit unless you get extremely even in high end grocery stores. All the produce in the grocery store looks nice until you actually eat it.

Vidalia onions and key limes seem to be the two exceptions and key limes are on the list only because America seems to be the only place you can get them.
>>
Vidalia onions are shite though, they're onions for people who hate onions but realize it's socially unacceptable not to like onions, so they found these fake onions that have no onion flavor, so they can pretend.

I get my produce from the farmers market. This week is baby mustard greens and the first ramps of the season. I have to say, it tastes really good.
>>
>>7540101
Granny Smith Apples/Green Apples
Garlic
POTATOES
>>
Go to a farmer's market, Anon. Jesus christ
>>
Gilroy garlic is the best in the world.
>>
Sweet potatoes, collard greens, and watermelon all come to mind. Decent avocados if you live in the south.
>>
>>7540148
Peaches and pumpkins too
>>
>>7540148
Japanese watermelon and most melons in general there are always better tasting although usually atleast double the price of mediocre American ones.
Never seen collard greens anywhere else in the world so thats probably true.
>>7540136
Japanese garlic is bigger and Spanish garlic has about the same taste, and while American garlic is better than Chinese not significantly.
>>
I have to imagine we've cornered the market on cranberries.
>>
File: 1403388002634.jpg (36 KB, 640x432) Image search: [Google]
1403388002634.jpg
36 KB, 640x432
>>7540158
Japanese garlic a shit. USA USA USA!
>>
I really didn't notice much difference between Spain/France and the U.S.

The only thing that stood out to me was more savoy cabbage.
>>
>>7540158
Take your bullshit elsewhere, it's a proven fact chinese garlic is tasteless and you need at least twice as much when cooking. 1/10 not even attempting
>>7540175
I'll tell you what I noticed in Europe, shits all seasonal, in the US you can find most things year round in the super market.
>>
Hatch green chilis are almost exclusive to New Mexico. Good ass shit with great flavor, and the burn is a slow after effect instead of a front-of-the-mouth hot.
>>
pumpkins and other squashes
>>
File: poo-curry-shimizu.jpg (72 KB, 780x438) Image search: [Google]
poo-curry-shimizu.jpg
72 KB, 780x438
>>7540170
Japanese garlic = american
>>
>>7540215
Except twice the size for about the same price
>>
>>7540101
Walla Walla sweets are super good, Rainer cherries, honeycrisp apples
>>
>>7540101
I just always buy in season fruits and vegetables as much as possible from the local farmers markets. The fruits and vegetables always taste like they are supposed to. Fresh and delicious

I do like California clementines though.
>>
>>7540205
Excepting sugar baby pumpkins, which are generally unavailable in continental Europe, pumpkins are better in Spain, Italy and Japan. Not by much, but still better.

As for peaches, it's not even close. American peaches pale by comparison to those in Italy, Greece and Croatia.

American grape varieties are surprisingly good and when you can get celtuce, it's tastier in the states than elsewhere I've had it. Also, while not necessarily better, per se, the sheer number of corn varieties available in American supermarkets is nice. Back home, we have one type and that's it. Want white or shoepeg? Well fuck you, we don't have it.

>>7540148
Watermelon is roughly the same everywhere I've had it. While it can be good in the US, I have difficulty selecting good ones because of the way you guys sell them.
About a third of the time, I pick one that's completely bland. This doesn't happen to me in my home country because we tend not to sell them whole.

See, fruit grocers cut watermelons and other very large fruits to order as would be done with a piece of cheese in a deli shop and you're offered a taste before buying it to ensure it's sweet. If it's not sweet, the seller generally uses it for juice drinks, most commonly various kinds of lemonade. Whereas normal lemonade is made with water, lemon juice and sugar, a fruit vendor that sells juice drinks will use juices from slightly-less-than-optimal fruits in place of all (in the case of melons, muscats and pineapples) or some (most other fruits) of the water.
>>
>>7540101
Buffaloberries
Saskatoonberries
Chokecherries
Pawpaws
Texas persimmons
False-mastic
Florida strangler figs
Huckleberries
Maypops
Ramps
Sumpweed
Maygrass
Acorns
Pigeon plums
Salmonberries
Thimbleberries
Southern crabapples
Erect knotweed
Pole beans
Canadian serviceberries
>>
>>7541310
Had peaches in both Italy and Greece, they're smaller there, but yea sweeter juicier and they're seasonal there, you won't find them all year round or for a majority of months. I've had similar sweet peaches in the US, but they were much larger and not as juicy, but still great.
>>7540914
And both sold by weight, both grown in the US, so size doesn't matter, cause you're gonna most likely chop or smash it up 1/10 you're still not trying.
>>
>>7541353
>Erect knotweed

Tell me more
>>
>>7541413
Have you tried the peaches from a painted sign off the side of the road in Anyhicktown, USA? They are remarkably juicy, like, full upper body bath required after consuming juicy.
>>
>>7540101
How often have you bought in season regionally native fruit / veg direct from farmers?
>>
Although technically not a fruit or vegetable, I'd like to give an honourable mention to the pecan. A great nut with very little exposure outside of Mexico and the US.
>>
>>7541353
>salmonberries

My. Fucking. Nigger.

Gonna go pick some of them bad boys tomorrow.

God I love the PNW
>>
This shitposting would be better suited for /int/, OP.
>>
>>7541353
This is some /co/ level food.

please tell me more.
>>
>>7540101
Mexicans use key limes for most everything that requires limes
>>
Corn
>>
>>7542568
Do they use lime keys for everything that requires keys, too?
>>
>>7540143
How close do you live to Gilroy? that's in my neck of the woods
>>
We make real olive oil in California does that count?
>>
>>7540192
>I'll tell you what I noticed in Europe, shits all seasonal, in the US you can find most things year round in the super market.

This is your answer to why we have shit produce in our grocery stores. We import 8 billion dollars worth of food that is gas ripened in the truck as it travels. Some people haven't eaten a vine ripened tomato in YEARS. All perishable commercial produce in harvested and shipped this way, with few exceptions. And the stores stock this hog slop tier produce year round, regardless what people are growing, with some small local grocers breaking tradition and getting local suppliers in the summer for an end cap.
The trend to seek out local food is starting to catch on, but people are used to the prices they pay at the store and local food costs more, and it isn't available all the time. In urban areas sometimes it is simply unavailable.
If you shop at local (seasonal) farmer's markets you will get good food.

Tl,dr; our produce tastes like shit because it's all gas ripened and shipped thousands of miles
>>
>>7544124
Woods have necks? Is there a boning video u could post?
>>
>>7540192
>in the US you can find most things year round in the super market

That's because most of the time it isn't American produce. We only actually get American produced produce when it's in season in America (in a region with large production), we import the rest of the year.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.