[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you fellow /ck/'ers season your tacos? My family
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: pdp_fresco_crunchy_taco[1].png (305 KB, 610x484) Image search: [Google]
pdp_fresco_crunchy_taco[1].png
305 KB, 610x484
How do you fellow /ck/'ers season your tacos?

My family insists on prepackaged Old El Paso season packs.

What do you all do? I'm hoping for a good spice mix to prove them wrong
>>
I just make it, I don't have a recipe but I can give you ingredients. I use salt, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and use a pinch of corn starch as a thickener. Sometimes I cook the meat with a small splash of v8 juice, not always. Sometimes I also chop up some cilantro and/or white onion and add it, not always.
>>
>>7538656
Pretty much this.

Though I rarely make ground beef tacos or crunch shells; that's pretty boring. I normally use soft tortillas and grilled skirt steak (fajitas), or tongue/cheek braised in a pressure cooker.
>>
>>7538640
I slow cook a roast in 2-3 cups of salsa. (Depends on size of roast) When it's done I shred it and incorporate the meat and salsa together.

I brown tortillas, spread sour cream on them, add cheese, load them up with the meat mixture, add cilantro. (Guac, onion, extra cheese, taco sauce, whatever) Everyone I've made them for loves them.
>>
Never make it the same way twice, but I can give you an unusual substitute tip.

If you have to make chili/ taco seasoning for someone allergic to cumin.
Cascobel peppers

They have that earthy smokey taste of cumin that is so hard to replicate, they do add some heat also though so adjust accordingly.

They are roughly spherical smooth skinned even when dried with a thin papery crust that makes them a pain to powder in a mortar and pestle, so cook them down in the liquid or powder them with a spice grinder.
>>
>>7538697
Never even thought about doing something like this. Sounds good. Do you make your own salsa or buy a certain brand? Will crockpot work ok for the meat and salsa?
>>
>>7538775
>Will crockpot work ok for the meat and salsa?

It will certainly make something that's safe to eat, but it's going to suffer in two ways compared to doing it in an open pan:

1) Crock pot doesn't get hot enough to brown the meat. IT cooks it gray, not brown. (you could, however, brown the meat first on a pan, then move it to the crock pot to finish)

2) Crock pot won't evaporate off some of the water from the salsa. you need that otherwise it's going to be a watery mess.
>>
>>7538775
Yes, I usually make and have my own salsa but it's not a problem to use store bought. Just pick whatever brand you like.

Also, what >>7538802 said.

Yes, you can slow cook in a crock pot but you will have to strain out a lot of the juice. I usually brown mine on all sides then slow cook/roast/braise in the oven about 275-300 or so. I have a smoker and will sometimes smoke the roast beforehand for an hr or 2. Just check it occasionally and see how it's doing.

If you use the crock pot it will still be ok you will just need to pour and strain off most of the liquid.
>>
>>7538882
I also alternate using a lid in the oven. The last hour or so I usually crank up the heat just a bit and take the lid off ( if I'm
Using one.) Just watch it if you do this. It allows the liquid to evaporate off but you don't want anything to burn either. Stove top works just as well.
>>
>>7538640
i do enjoy hard shell tacos from time to time but i usually prefer authentic style tacos wit carne asada. seasoned with salt and pepper.
>>
File: tacos.jpg (3 MB, 2000x1168) Image search: [Google]
tacos.jpg
3 MB, 2000x1168
>>7538969
forgot pic
>>
>>7538971
Looks good
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.