[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stella Artois is the most overpriced shit beer I've ever
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 20
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 350x570) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 350x570
Stella Artois is the most overpriced shit beer I've ever had. It's piss that's advertised as a fancy beer. It's a scam

What's some other overpriced/overrated food stuffs?
>>
>Almost anything pre packaged
>free range
>organic
>anything that has 90 % of the box covered in 'fat free' or similar
>>
meme beer
>>
>>7535565
Eh I thought it was fine
>>
It's almost all I drink.
I buy a 20 pack every weekend and plow throw it.

What do you drink OP?
>>
It's basically Belgian Heineken. Very drinkable as a no nonsense lager but nothing special and overpriced as an export beer.

In Belgium there's nothing fancy about it, it's a normal lager that you buy by the crate.
>>
>>7535749
Mostly just vodka

But when it comes to beer I pretty much just try all kinds of different things. I don't really have a set beer since I don't drink it very frequently

It's not so much that Stella Artois is bad, it's just that there's nothing very good about it. It's an average beer at best, but it's kind of expensive in the US and is marketed as this fancy foreign beer. It just annoys me I guess
>>
I had some Stella Artois and it pretty much tasted like pbr.
>>
>>7535798
The point is to sell a drinkable but boring product along with the idea of luxury and exclusivity. It's meant for plebs that want to feel good about themselves. If the beer itself would actually be special you would lose the target demographic.

That's why premium vodkas are the wet dream of marketing people. It's literally water and alcohol, but throw enough promotion at it and you can quadruple the asking price.
>>
File: stella.jpg (20 KB, 275x344) Image search: [Google]
stella.jpg
20 KB, 275x344
>>7535816
Pic related is how it's sold locally by the way. The difference in presentation demonstrates how much they try to cash in on the 'luxury foreign lager' meme abroad.
>>
>>7535816
>The point is to sell a drinkable but boring product along with the idea of luxury and exclusivity.
Stella was never a luxury brand any more than Dos Equis is a luxury brand for having the most interesting man alive, or Budweiser being unironically thought of as the "king of beers".

The people pitching Stella to Americans (and Heineken and all the rest) was that it was exotic and foreign and therefore cooler than the default domestic choice. Cool is a distinct concept from luxury.

it doesn't really work so great anymore, now that the US beer market has changed so much, but I dunno how else you're going to market a shitty undistinguished macro lager on its specific merits, which is why advertising for these kinds of products is always several degrees abstracted from the product itself.
>>
Once I got a large bottle of stella and was quite impressed with it. Perhaps because it was fresh. Beer really doesn't keep well and if you're not close to a port, chances are the shipping of it is not handled very well.
>>
This is the worst beer ever.
>>
>>7535834
>The people pitching Stella to Americans (and Heineken and all the rest) was that it was exotic and foreign and therefore cooler than the default domestic choice. Cool is a distinct concept from luxury.
They used to market it in the UK as 'reassuringly expensive' for a while, but the US presentation may differ.

>it doesn't really work so great anymore, now that the US beer market has changed so much, but I dunno how else you're going to market a shitty undistinguished macro lager on its specific merits, which is why advertising for these kinds of products is always several degrees abstracted from the product itself.
I guess so called authenticity may work, like how Spanish restaurants have some Spanish lager and Thai restaurants have Thai lager and Red Stripe represents Jamaica and so on and they're all the same sort of generic global macro in the meanwhile, but you let people buy into the idea of a country/culture when they buy the product. I don't think that's nearly enough for sufficient supermarket/liquor store sales though.
>>
>>7535848

hardly

nocturnum is better but tremens is still good
>>
File: stella.jpg (145 KB, 472x382) Image search: [Google]
stella.jpg
145 KB, 472x382
>>7535868
>reassuringly expensive
Good stuff, 10/10 would laugh again
>>
I have no idea why, but I always assumed that Stella Artois was Italian...

Anyway, it was on sale today for $11.99 a twelve pack. It's drinkable, if unremarkable.
>>
>>7535798
>it's kind of expensive in the US and is marketed as this fancy foreign beer
In the UK it's seen as a low-class beer drunk by chavs

Funny how that works
>>
>>7536050
Today's chavs are just the leftover scum that we failed to ship off to the colonies when we had a chance.
>>
>>7536050
On a similar note I've seen Brits/had to explain to Brits that I've become internet friends with that Budweiser is a poor people's beer.

Apparently in some places in the UK you consider it "fancy"?
>>
>>7536013
That's nearly twice as expensive as the regular price in Belgium
>>
File: Georgie Vi.jpg (413 KB, 754x1000) Image search: [Google]
Georgie Vi.jpg
413 KB, 754x1000
>>7536215
It's the king of beers! Kings are always fancy.
>>
I'm pretty sure Stella is now selling itself as a meme joke beer.

>We're a belgian company but we made up a fake french-sounding name

Either way, it tastes decent. Better than american cat piss.

If you wanna whine about beer being too expensive, then I guess you don't drink Belgian trappist ales.
>>
>>7536215
It's "fancy" because it's American and it's slightly more expensive than Stella/Heineken/Becks/Carling/etc

Same with Coors. Anything American is automatically looked at differently
>>
>>7536215
>>7536265
I wonder if they sell Sam Adams in the UK, or if they're still sore about that little Tea Party thing
>>
>>7536265
Why are the Brits such cucks when it comes to lager? If it's foreign they can't help themselves.
>>
>>7536275
Actually, most working-class Britfags would probably look at you strange if you're drinking some foreign shit like Bud

>>7536273
It's sold but it's also expensive and usually has to be purchased as individual bottles, which makes it unattractive as it doesn't come with a "6 cans for £5" deal like most beers
>>
File: adfa.jpg (69 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
adfa.jpg
69 KB, 640x640
>>7536253
>it tastes decent
>>
>>7536283
>Actually, most working-class Britfags would probably look at you strange if you're drinking some foreign shit like Bud
I thought working class Brits loved to get cunted on Stella and beat women.
>>
If you read the label on a bottle of Stella you will see that it is most likely not imported, most of it is brewed locally under licence.
Doesn't really matter though, it tastes like skunked shit no matter where it is brewed.
>>
>>7536215
I've seen people in Hong Kong order PBR in restaurants thinking that it's "fancy" American beer. It really comes down to how a certain brand is perceived in foreign markets.
>>
>>7536297
Stella isn't seen as a "foreign" beer here, same as Heineken. Stella is absolutely everywhere and I wouldn't be surprised if some people assume it's an British beer. Most Brits don't really consider European beer to be "foriegn" as such. Even shit like Tyskie is commonly drunk here

"Foriegn" beer in the eyes of your average Britfag would be shit like Bud, Cobra, Asahi, Tsingtao, etc
>>
File: stella.jpg (498 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
stella.jpg
498 KB, 1920x1080
still have my free chalice
>>
File: bootleggers-golden-chaos.jpg (76 KB, 144x200) Image search: [Google]
bootleggers-golden-chaos.jpg
76 KB, 144x200
>>7535848

Cleary your taste is shit, and I know for sure by your opinion you've never tasted pic related.
>>
Are your American? You might just not be used to the alcohol.
>>
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 404x404) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 404x404
>>7536429
>Are your American? You might just not be used to the alcohol
>>
>>7536522
It's a less watery beer than you are accustomed to.
>>
>>7536529
I know it's cool to hate on American shit and all, but not all beer here is colors light and other tasteless piss believe it or not
>>
>>7536529
It drinks like Natty Ice. No thanks.
>>
Literally any common store-shelf beer that labels itself as an "import", and charges more for a shitty macrobrew in a clear or green bottle that'll skunk it in a few weeks.

Pretty much any brand name processed food (dressings, boxed meals, canned foods, cheeses, etc) over generic "best choice" shit, maybe with a couple exceptions like soda.

Packaged salad mixes. Seriously, why? They're always fucking bad before the advertised date, too.

ANYTHING from a fast food restaurant. Seriously, I could go to a niceish sitdown burger place, get a burger for 5-7 dollars that'll knock something out of McDonalds for the same price. Assuming I'm a cheap asshole that doesn't tip, it's the same price, and I'm willing to put forth the extra buck or two to have a decent quarter pounder.

If a "taco stand" taco is over a $1.50 per taco, it's overpriced garbage. But if you can get .50 cent places with chorizo or carne asada, it is heaven for a broke motherfucker like me.
>>
>>7536013
It's indistinguishable from the Italian lagers I've had, actually. I thought the same thing. They're extremely dry typically.

Stella is my favorite tomato sauce complement (chicken/eggplant parmesans or spaghetti bolognase) if I can't find Peroni that's fresh and not light struck.
>>
>>7536529
Lol, except most american styles are the most hop-forward and alcohol-heavy beers on the market. Try an american style pale ale compared to an english one, and you'll see that our beers aren't so "watery" as you'd think.

If we're talking craft brews, you could accuse American styles of being too straightforward or hop-heavy, rather than the nuances brought forward by Belgian Ales or German Lagers. But to each their own.
>>
File: 1367334143333.jpg (80 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
1367334143333.jpg
80 KB, 413x395
>>7536429
>Actually believing the myth that American beers are weaker than European ones
>>
File: Dude what.png (398 KB, 457x600) Image search: [Google]
Dude what.png
398 KB, 457x600
>>7536253
>belgian company, fake french-sounding name
>belgian
>fake french-sounding
>BELGIAN
>FAKE FRENCH-SOUNDING

Open a fucking book, goddamn.
>>
>>7536379
how did you get that lol
>>
>>7536811
They did a promotion several years ago where you could get a free customized chalice by redeeming the code found in a case of Stella, but the codes were really easy to spoof without actually buying anything.
>>
>>7536314
this desu. we're very european when it comes to beer.

>>7536215
they're taking the piss lad, no one here thinks of bud as fancy
>>
File: negra-modelo.jpg (53 KB, 500x529) Image search: [Google]
negra-modelo.jpg
53 KB, 500x529
So does it really count as an import if I could easily make it to and from the country of origin in less than a day by driving?
>>
>>7536852
Technically yeah

I live in Southern California though and I feel the same way about Mexican beer, it doesn't really seem foreign. I essentially live in Mexico already
>>
>>7536846
A girl from Gorleston was dead serious about it being fancy.
>>
>>7536907
Nah, you just can't into dry humour.
>>
>>7535565
It's better to piss into some brita filtered water then add some carbonated soda water. Let it chill for about 3 hours then chug it, piss again and you got yourself another batch. Genius indeed.
>>
>>7536314
But it isn't foreign if its brewed in the UK?

Most continental lagers on tap and sold en-masse in the UK are brewed on the isles.
>>
File: wilford-brimley-golden-shower.jpg (68 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
wilford-brimley-golden-shower.jpg
68 KB, 960x640
this is worst beer
should not exist
>>
>>7536928
nah, that one is okay. the Chocolate, Peanut Butter, and Banana Ale is the worst
>>
>>7536928
Rogue is the worst brewery in Canada.

A laughing stock
>>
>>7536938
Rogue is American.
>>
File: ohno.jpg (31 KB, 346x306) Image search: [Google]
ohno.jpg
31 KB, 346x306
>>7536928
>>
>>7536951
Really explains it then.
>>
>>7535627
>free range eggs

Emjoy your low nutrient eggs sir, specially since you are probably american.
>>
File: 5uYO4Iv.jpg (961 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
5uYO4Iv.jpg
961 KB, 2448x3264
>>7535565
I'm Belgian and I don't like this beer, Stella Artois.

Usually I drink Triple Karmeliet (my fav) and number one.

2: Delirium Tremens
3: Chimay blue
4: Curtius
5: Jupiler (more mainstream)
>>
>>7536215

i've never met a single person who thinks bud is fancy, everyone reps budvar though
>>
>>7537455
the lad doesn't realise they were taking the piss t b h
>>
>>7535565
no shit, i live in belgium and i wouldnt drink that for free
>>
>>7535565
I haven't had stella before, but I sure got 5 free engraved glasses a few years ago
>>
>>7536928
The idea is cute, the bottle is so great, but the taste is overwhelmingly smokey and ashy it's ridiculous and undrinkable. It's almost like a joke, a gag, a prank drink. You trick somebody into having something that should be a little sweet or a little smokey, but then it's a shot of liquid smoke
it's unreasonably, completely, unbelievably undrinkable
>>
>>7537540
I remember getting a bottle for the novelty along with the crate a bought for a party, drank the whole thing just in spite of the shit taste
>>
File: bacon-beer.jpg (102 KB, 595x290) Image search: [Google]
bacon-beer.jpg
102 KB, 595x290
>>7535848
Incorrect.
>>
File: chinese-pbr.jpg (97 KB, 500x699) Image search: [Google]
chinese-pbr.jpg
97 KB, 500x699
>>7536311
>>
File: 1456710570900.png (600 KB, 1023x1053) Image search: [Google]
1456710570900.png
600 KB, 1023x1053
>>7535848
>stoneware bottle

Shit nigga that's kawaii
>>
>>7537785
it's just painted glass
>>
Corona is overpriced as fuck also, but is worse than Stella.
>>
>>7537790
Oh, boo.
>>
>>7537783
>oak barrel brewed work of art

TOP KEK
>>
>>7535757
>Heineken

literally pisswater
>>
>>7536928
le maple bacon!

we did it reddit!
>>
>Waiting for a late flight
>buddy invites me to get a beer
>Don't recognize the two on tap that aren't Budweiser or Stella
>Figure Stella is my best best
>Spend the next 10 minutes trying to justify paying 12 dollars for a beer that's slightly nicer than what I get in cheap cases
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (71 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
71 KB, 500x500
>>7535757
>heineken
>>
>>7535565
It is shit AND its only 4.8%.
Used to be 5.2%, and that was the only reason to buy it.
>>
>>7536215
Good god No!
I think everyone is well aware that Budweiser is just american simulated rice wine adult beverage.
>>
>>7535565
I disagree. I find it enjoyable.
>>
>>7535565
it's a mild lager and most guys are actually huge pussies and don't really like the taste of beer, that's why it's popular.

i guess the image helps too but it's pretty run of the mill stuff. it's not bad though.
>>
It's pisswater just like bud or corona for people who don't like beer, but don't want to be caught drinking girly drinks
>>
File: riker.jpg (91 KB, 323x323) Image search: [Google]
riker.jpg
91 KB, 323x323
>>7538725
>my ability to "handle" a slightly bitter fizz water without making funny faces makes me a real MANLY MAN RRAAWWR!
Your ideas of masculinity are abstract, to put it charitably.
>>
>>7535824
looks better
>>
stella is one of the best piss cheap beers.

if you regard it as a premium brand you're a retard.

compare it to bud, carling, fosters, tenants, etc
>>
>>7536852
Negra Modelo is a solid beer

that delicious vienna lager mmmm
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.