[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Food fears you can't get over
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 179
Thread images: 19
File: cod.jpg (217 KB, 1536x839) Image search: [Google]
cod.jpg
217 KB, 1536x839
I had a rather embarrassing experience today during an otherwise delicious meal at a Michelin starred restaurant.

For the first time in what must be twenty years I decided to try cod again. There was nothing I hated more than Fridays at school when the only option was cod - I fucking hated that bitter, dry aftertaste and the way it requires infinite chewing before I could swallow it. I have actively avoided eating cod my entire life for the fear that I'd throw up if I tried to eat it again.

In that time I've got over plenty of other food phobias and general fussiness - there's almost no seafood I wouldn't quite happily eat and enjoy. So today I decided I'd give cod another shot.

The dish that arrived was beautifully presented, smelled wonderful and was clearly made with the best ingredients. I took one bite and at first thought I was enjoying it... only until I tried to swallow it and those horrible memories from school came flooding back to me. I had to rush to the bathroom and spit it out, almost vomiting trying to get there. On return I managed to eat the few bits of smoked eel surrounding the cod and a little bit of the foam but the damage was done - the waitress had to collect an almost full plate. This clearly doesn't happen often in that restaurant - the look on her face was as if I had just suggested digging up her mother's coffin and masturbating over her skeletal remains. For some reason my excuse "I just don't like cod, there was absolutely nothing wrong with the cooking or the ingredients" didn't seem to cut the mustard - to be fair who the fuck doesn't like cod?

Anyway, long story short, is there any food that according to everyone else is mild but you just can't eat? Have you managed to get over it with perseverance? I for one won't be touching cod ever again.

>Pic related - the offending dish and a glass of wine I'm sure would have complemented it for most people
>>
>>7535547
Cant eat bananas.
Tried again recently and the moment i took the first bite i knew i couldnt go on, i almost puked.
i have no idea why but something about the texture just dosent work for me.
>>
>>7535559
Do you have trouble with any other fruit?
>>
>>7535547
>I have actively avoided eating cod my entire life for the fear that I'd throw up if I tried to eat it again.

There's a term for this that I can't remember right now but that's your problem right there. Self fulfilling anxiety attack or something.
>>
>>7535547
Vegetable soup or succotash, I just can't handle the various textures of multiple vegetables being mixed together. Literally makes me gag, although I don't mind beans in chilli.
>>
If I find a hair in my food at a restaurant, I can never go back. Many delicious places have been blacklisted because of this.
>>
Cherry tomatoes.
>>
I can't eat jelly. Makes me gag
>>
>>7535559
I'm the same way. Then again I haven't had a banana in like a decade, so who knows. It's the mealy texture and that weirdly sweet taste that kind of reminds me of the aroma of drying saliva on a recently sucked dick.
>>
Chili dogs.

Love chili.

Not a huge fan of hotdogs, but I'll eat them at a BBQ or something. Hebrew nationals only at home for when the kids want them, they are not bad.

Put chili on the hot dog, nope.
>>
>>7535592
i don't think that is really a 'food fear.' that is more like a hygiene concern. i haven't found hairs many times in my food but i get freaked out at it too and don't go back
>>
>>7535629
>Texas style spaghetti
>pasta with chili and cheddar cheese replacing the tomato sauce and parmesan

My dad made a foolish mistake of ordering one yesterday.
>>
>Autistic general
>>
>>7535682
Would you eat >>7535679?
>>
Why would you choose to attempt eating a food you avoided for decades at a Michelin restaurant of all places?! Why not just try it at any old place (or just prepare it yourself) and save your Michelin experience for food that you enjoy?

I hate onions of all types, chives/scallions/red/yellow/white/etc. I hate them all...runs in the family. I have been able to train myself to eat them when dining with large groups but I still can't eat them raw ever.

I'm not big on mayonnaise either but I will eat it if etiquette demands.
>>
>>7535547
Cheap frankfurters.

I made the mistake of reading the ingredients. There isn't even any meat in most of them, because mechanically recovered meat doesn't count under EU regulation. 50% mechanically recovered chicken, the rest being rusk, water, and pork fat.
>>
>>7535559
>>7535611

I recommend trying a different breed of banana. All the yellow cavendish bananas taste pretty bad by comparison, even though they're the most popular due to good marketing and jewery (they trees cost less and grow bundles with bigger fruits that are more numerous than other species). try Manzanos, ladyfingers, or red bananas instead.
>>
>>7535694
>Why would you choose to attempt eating a food you avoided for decades at a Michelin restaurant of all places?!

I'd convinced myself that if it was cooked perfectly and presented well I'd enjoy it. I was unfortunately very wrong indeed.

True - I'm a reasonably good cook, pan frying a bit of fish in butter isn't difficult or demanding. I really ought to have done that instead and saved myself the bother today. I just wouldn't have ever thought to buy it - it's the limitations of choice that comes with restaurant menus that convinced me to give it a go.
>>
File: 1390088439967.jpg (51 KB, 460x460) Image search: [Google]
1390088439967.jpg
51 KB, 460x460
>>7535547
>eats smoked eel
>vomits if he eats cod
What the fuck
>>
>>7535547
OP, if you are female I find it sufficient to touch my cooch before eating the cod
>>
avocado, I'm sure at this point it's not just my own paranoia because I once ate a spicy tuna roll that i didn't know had avocado in it and on the first bite I immediately gagged and had to spit it out into a napkin, I fucking despise avocado and it ruins a lot of foods for me, so fuck anyone that tells me to just give guacamole a try
>>
>>7535782
underrated post
>>
>>7535780
Dude, I know. I find the taste of cod repellent yet I will quite happily eat haddock, hake and pollock which are supposed to taste similar (they certainly don't to me).

>>7535782
I think the photo shows I'm not a chick (or t hat I'm an extremely butch dike with bandages wrapped tightly around my tits).
>>
>>7535592
I've found hairs in food at restaurant. Just remove it and eat it's a damn hair
>>
>>7535822
>Waiter, there's a hair in my soup
>Shhhh, keep your voice down or everyone will want one!
>>
>>7535797
No it wasn't.
>>
>>7535821
I figured that was a picture of your dinner date, not one that you asked the waiter to snap of you gagging
>>
Most of these don't seem like food fears so much as "I really don't like..."

Anyways, pine nuts. I won't eat them because I read that pine mouth is a thing and I'm paranoid that I'll get it and it will never go away. The truth is only the pine nuts from China have this problem and it doesn't last that long, but still.
>>
File: breast.jpg (175 KB, 977x1094) Image search: [Google]
breast.jpg
175 KB, 977x1094
>>7535865
Haha, I hadn't tried the fish at that point. Here's my dinner date and her much better choice of duck breast.
>>
>>7535869
so your afraid of temporarily having a bitter or metallic taste in your mouth?
>>
>>7535869
I had pine mouth. It was worse than you'd think.
>>
>>7535869
I'm>>7535887

Actually now its starting to make me paranoid too.
>>
>>7535869
Hadn't ever heard of this but I've had something similar after smoking salvia - this fucking disgusting bitter, metallic burnt taste stayed in my mouth for three days after one bong hit. Definitely not worth it for the three minute high during which I thought time had slowed whilst I was chewed up arse first by an escalator.

It's only legal because it's so fucking horrible.
>>
>>7535869
It doesn't really happen I don't think. My boyfriend is addicted to pink nuts in the shell. He had like two pound bags and carried them everywhere and ate them like sunflower seeds and nothing happened to his mouth
>>
>>7535547
I choked really bad on peanut butter, then my throat felt all fucked up. It got me scared, so I kept checking my lips for swelling, and they too were swollen. Took benadryl and passed the fuck out.

I havent had anything with peanuts, or may have been contaminated with peanuts in probably 5 years since it happened.

There is a part of me that thinks the anxiety from choking is what made it hard to breath and my GERD is what messed my throat up. And there is a part that thinks that me messing with my lips by lightly biting them and rubbing them a lot is what caused the slight lip swelling.

On the other hand I am too fucking afraid of eating something with peanuts in case that it was the cause of the problems. I know in the case of peanut allergies, there is a chance that the more reactions you have, the worse they get.
Choking is probably the worst feeling I have ever felt.
>>
I can't eat pork that isn't bacon, ham, or sausage. It just tastes nasty to me and I gag when I take a bite.
>>
>>7535900
My boss had a kid about a year ago, and prior to that she had some auto-immune troubles. Since the kid was c-section'd & she was knocked out she can't taste anything apparently.

Like, peanut butter and super hot-sauce are literally the only things that get through for some reason. Nothing else.

I pity that. That would be my 'food phobia'.
>>
>>7536014
she suffered fucking brain damage, would hope she sued over this
>>
>>7535994
go see a doctor man fuck...
>>
>>7536021
Sue whom for what, tho? Everything she went through recently was all standard procedure.

She's seen like 3 physicians & none can explain it. It's not like the anesthesiologist fucked up... She was prolly just fucked by genetics, really, and something recently triggered this response...
>>
this is actually fairly recently but I have grown a strong disliking to most potato dishes.

My grandmother brought over some green beans and potatoes one day last year. I didn't have anything else to eat in the house so i just ate nothing but those green beans and potatoes. the next day I got violently sick. Barely could keep water and saltines down without throwing them up 10 minutes later

now i can barely look at a potato and not feel a little sick in my stomach.

I don't know why it was that time, though. My grandmother is a fabulous cook and I've had her green beans and potatoes before and never gotten sick from it.
>>
Had a friend who had her tonsils out as an adult.

Something went wrong and she was bleeding from the throat and was in danger of drowning on her own blood. They had to cauterize the bleed to keep her alive.

Sometime in the confusion something got screwed up and ever since she had been unable to taste sweet. She still has salty sour and bitter. I assume she has umami, but that was not a thing when this happened and it's not really something she wants to talk about anymore.

She lost a lot of weight, eating is a hassle for her now, something she has to do to stay alive.

Even things that are not primarily sweet taste wrong because there is no balance. Potato chips, we don't think of that as sweet , but without the sweet she describes them as salty cardboard flakes.
>>
>>7536046
This is a natural evolutionary response to becoming poisoned from food. It makes sense, really, when you think about it - you eat something harmful/your body can't handle, you become violently ill and void the toxins, while being imprinted the whole time that the thing you ate is no good to keep eating.

Not sayin your gmama's a bad cook, spoiled food can happen to anybody, but your psyche built that aversion. It's just mental, and if you wanna break it, you just gotta start exploring the foods again...
>>
Tacos. I had really bad tacos once, and not only were they complete shit, they also made me throw up and shit myself for three days. This was right before a new project was started at my job, so my boss had to find a replacement and I was without a job for a month.
Even sitting here thinking about it makes me feel nauseous.
>>
>>7535876
These portions are outrageous.
>>
>>7536097
I figured that was the case. I've been coming around to eating french fries and mashed potatoes, but i still just can't force myself to eat chunks of potatoes.
>>
>>7536075
I know a guy that is real analytical/right-brained and he is just absolutely dissociated from tasting food. He's told me before that if there was one thing he never had to do again it would be eating. Dude wants to live off batteries, and that's how he treats food. Pure energy and nutrients he needs to subsist. Super healthy for it, I guess.
>>
>>7536116
Not really - it was a three course lunch that also included bread, canapes, two amuse bouches, pre-dessert and petit fours. I'm a fat bastard and it was more than enough food for me.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1452627426364.jpg (24 KB, 480x336) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1452627426364.jpg
24 KB, 480x336
>>7535547

>He feel for the Michelin Rating meme
>>
>>7536144
I wasn't aware of any 'meme' regarding Michelin stars - they're hardly a new thing. It was my girlfriend's birthday and I wanted to take her for a nice lunch. In my experience you are always guaranteed good quality in a Michelin star restaurant.
>>
>>7535547

I'm the same way about any vegetable steamed, but especially broccoli. It reminds me of being forced to eat it when I was a kid and makes me sick. I can pretty much only eat vegetables raw or roasted.

Also, guacamole. The texture is so gross to me.
>>
>>7535994
actually with peanut allergies constant exposure will likely reduce severity. you could just poke your self with a needle that you had put in peanut butter or something
>>
>>7535547
Kill yourself.
>>
>>7536187
Because I don't like cod? There's plenty more fish in the sea pal.
>>
I cannot deal with oatmeal. I've tried different toppings, steel cut, milk, ect. I do not like oatmeal. I think it must be the texture, because I love oatmeal cookies and bread. So It's not the flavor itself. It's just warm wet oatmeal that makes me want to vomit.
>>
>>7536201
I'm with you there, it's fucking disgusting. Not easy as a Scotsman.
>>
>>7535876
>Huge plate, babby-sized portions
>Wearing a scarf to dinner

No.
>>
File: 1395907327209.jpg (70 KB, 624x480) Image search: [Google]
1395907327209.jpg
70 KB, 624x480
>>7535821
Okay, for real, I'm being genuine here

>decide to make fish tacos the other day
>somehow get haddock and cod
>"oh I'll just separate them just in case there's a drastic difference in taste"
>think about it for a fucking second
>go into the other room and ask my brother "Do you notice any particular difference in taste between cod and haddock?"
>he pauses for a moment, smirks and says, "No, also - pollock, a lot of white fish all tastes the fucking same"
>"I know rite okay just checking lmao"
>make fish tacos
>fish kind of gets a little mixed up in the pan, I can't really tell which is which anymore, I was high
>literally no fucking difference in how my tacos came out (fucking great - a little mango pepper jelly really knocks it out of the park)

It sounds like you have some weird psychological problem. Haddock and cod look very similar to one another. If you were told that it was haddock would you have acted that way in a restaurant? Maybe getting an actually good cook to cook you both, then you'll have a blind taste test - maybe that'll work?

Seriously though what the fuck
>>
>>7536207
The scarf and wild hair make her look annoying, but that is a normal sized main

Are you one of those ham planets who requires everything to come out all at once, piled high, without an inch of bare plate visible, otherwise you have a panic attack that you might experience the sensation of not eating for a few seconds during your thrice-daily "self-engorgement on the cheapest bulk garbage humanly possible" ritual?
>>
>>7536201
I love oatmeal. I eat steel cut oats dry sometimes.
>>
>>7536228
I am certain I could tell the difference between both in a blind taste test. I find haddock fresh and moist with a hint of sweetness. Cod to me has a very bitter, dry aftertaste and I find it very brittle and chewy, even when cooked well.
>>
>>7536207
>>7536229
It's technically not a scarf, it's some daft Scandinavian thing that I can't remember the name of. I'm sure she'll get bored of it soon.

Anyway, second guy is right about the portion size regardless of whether my girlfriend is irritating or not - it's a reasonable portion for a main especially considering all the other stuff included in the lunch. I don't go to a restaurant to be bursting at the seams - might as well just go to a fast food restaurant or a buffet if you want to gorge on food. Not saying there's anything wrong with that but it's not a memorable meal.
>>
mushrooms, i fucking hate them so much, but man do i wish i liked them... i think its a texture thing, or just knowing its fungus... ive tried so many times to eat them. i'll get one bite down, but after that i'll just push the rest to the side of the plate
>>
>>7536295
I wasn't able to eat mushrooms until I was seventeen or eighteen and now I absolutely love them - I think a lot of people just cook them really badly (although you may just never like them).
>>
>>7535822
I know right, it's like the most sterile body part to find in your food who gives a fuck I've eaten hangar steak out of the trash
>>
>>7536229
No. Just looked small to me, friend.
>>
Potato bread. Just thining about it makes my stomach turn.
>>
File: 1453156546239.png (290 KB, 517x440) Image search: [Google]
1453156546239.png
290 KB, 517x440
>>7536268
If you're so sure, then get someone to do it for you. You're not wrong about haddock, but I have no idea what you're talking about as far as cod goes. I actually prefer cod to haddock, most of the time, but I mostly broil fish when I'm not making dank tacos.

Dude seriously did school lunch cod fuck you up that badly? There are foods people just don't like, I don't have a direct reason to dislike ground beef, but fuck ground beef. Have you tried cooking cod yourself, so that you're in control of all things that happen to the cod?
>>
>>7536382
Also to clarify OP there's no shame in trying something that you're positive you don't like (even if it's a public place) and even if you did sperg out and everyone thought you were a melvin, fuck the staff and fuck the chef, you paid for it, you could play Kraken Adventures with the smoked eel for a half hour if you wanted and not touch a single damn thing else. If anything, it's good that you went out of your boundaries.
>>
>>7535547
Here's something I learned from culinary school: foods you have bad memories of or bad experiences will taste horrible and you won't be able to eat them without some adverse reaction to it.

You hate cod. It's fine, you tried beating the disliking of it by trying it from a restaurant who knows what the fuck they are doing. Like you said, it's not anyone's fault.

Like me. I can't eat peppers, they taste bitter in my mouth and I tried eating them since I was 10. My parents thought I was picky at first, and I was, but now it's just something we know I just don't eat.

Tastes are subjective, everyone's got their own taste
>>
You know that skin you get on milk when you let it boil then stand? Or it gets scalded by hot coffee or similar?

That shit makes me vomit every time. The texture of the slimy skin coupled with the slightly fatty burned milk taste makes my stomach churn. Feeling the skin pull off the surface of the cup, attached to your lip as the soggy remnants fall into your mouth.

I just retched a couple of times writing that jesus christ
>>
>>7535679
>Texas style spaghetti
You shut your whore mouth.

That's not a Texas thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_chili
>>
Corn and beans. Tried them multiple times in multiple ways and I just can't get past the texture. Also can't eat most corn products other than popcorn because the taste triggers a gag reflex. It sucks because I live in a state where the majority of the agriculture is corn.
>>
>>7536403
That's SJW trigger nonsense. The human brian can't associate experiences like that
>>
>>7536526
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taste_aversion

you just got 10/10 btfo kid
>>
>>7536526
Fuck you, Brian is a good guy.
>>
>>7535592
What if it's your hair?
>>
>>7535876
>those broad, manly shoulders
she looks more masculine than you, op
>>
>>7535547
>Fearing food
What a faggot
>>
>>7535869
I have had pinemouth and refuse to eat them anymore. Everything I ate or drank for close to a week had this horrible metallic taste. Funny thing was I had no idea what was causing it and I was seriously frustrated. Came across the information on line and realized that I had pine nuts in a salad pretty much when the symptoms began. Fuck pinenuts.
>>
>>7536574
You consider those shoulders broad? You sound like a bit of a pipecleaner, lad.
>>
I want to know more about the eel.
>>
>>7536442
The skin used to gross me out until I got used to stirring the warm milk to dissolve it.

I can cook with milk, but I can't stand the taste and smell of it alone. When I was young and malnourished my dad would force me to drink a mug full every day. It tastes awful hot, but it tastes even worse when you leave it to sit at room temperature. Then it turned out I was lactose intolerant and the large intake was wrecking my body up anyway. FUCK MILK
>>
File: 1458855607737.jpg (67 KB, 663x784) Image search: [Google]
1458855607737.jpg
67 KB, 663x784
Bare with me for this dooozy

I like flavorless raw veggies or relatively flavorless veggies.
Really strong flavored veggies like tomatoes broccoli asparagus have to be cooked perfectly for me to eat them.
I cant enjoy a salad ever because raw lettuce tastes like a wet bag with raw veggie run off water that for some reason makes me gag everyfucking time.
I can chole it down but i hate it, i also hate
Oil soaked anything or food that are naturally super greasy like an avacado
Olives, tapenade, peppers or really vinagary pickle d food that are just silly as fuck to enjoy except pickled eggs.
I dont like chunky fresh salsa.
Its an abomination to the world not even real mexicans eat that.
Something about barely chopped fresh veggies raw is just fucking gross to me.
Stew that shit blend it serve.
>>
most kinds of prepackaged bread make me gag. even standing in a fast food restaurant like mcdonalds is unpleasant because of the smell of the buns. everyone I've told about this called me an overreacting faggot, but it seriously makes me feel sick. also canned tuna.
>>
I can't eat sphagetti.

I already has a distaste for it but it all went down hill when I went to junior high band camp.

I was in the cafateria when some kid came uo for me with a small glass dish with one sphagetti noodle inside. He covered itnin sauce and other solids making it look like a mangled corpse. I almost threw up on the spots and could only eat brewd the entire night.

Every time I try it again all I can think of is worms.

Most other pasta is alright, just not that long flat shit that looks like tapeworms.
>>
The smell of dairy makes me want to throw up every time.

I love milk,cheese,kefir, etc, but when I eat these things I often hold my breath because the smell is so atrocious. not even moldy cheese, just regular dairy products, I can't stand the smell of dairy.
>>
>>7537186
do you have white skin?
>>
File: 1409997064426.jpg (38 KB, 479x720) Image search: [Google]
1409997064426.jpg
38 KB, 479x720
>hes 'picky'
>>
>>7537201
olive,

does it matter?
>>
>>7537279
it seems a lot of not white people have a problem with dairy

so it does matter
>>
Nice blog, where do I subscribe?
>>
>>7536390
>>7536403
Thanks chaps.

>>7536574
Odd that you say that as I make a passable impression of a silverback gorilla when nude.
>>
>>7535547
>michelin starred

fucking richfag asshole, bet you couldn't afford it without daddy's money you little bitch
>>
>>7537596
poor guy

I can get lunch at a 3 star for like $60 if I'm not too picky

you telling me you can't even scrape together $60 without begging your parents for change?
>>
Fish. It tastes disgusting and smells disgusting.

I don't mind deep fried halibut though, probably eat it once every two years.
>>
>>7537596
It's pasta you cretin.
>>
>>7535547
There's a baby in your restaurant
>>
>>7537596
As a mature student and part-time worker I have a fairly modest income but even I can afford £100 on lunch for a special occasion, it's hardly breaking the bank.
>>
>>7535559
Im totally the same, I dont mind the taste but the texture mekes me retch. Thing is its the only food that does this and up until 10 years ago I was fine eating them
>>
>>7535547

I never liked any seafood, aside from fish, but when I was like 15, I tried crab soup. I really liked it, but that night I got so violently sick. Since then, I've never touched crab anything again.
>>
>>7537600
You spend $60 on lunch at a restaurant? Why not a quick trip to the grocery store and cook up something good?
>>
>>7537670
Besides the point really but the yellow stuff is celeriac.
>>
>>7537690
when did I say I regularly spend $60 on lunch?

the only 3 star within walking distance of my work is nearly $300 for lunch, obviously that's a different story than $60. usually I spend about $12

but yes, I've had lunches in the $60 price range. nothing 3-star yet because I'd have to take a longer than average lunch break.

I'm not "cooking up something good" in my office because there isn't a kitchen like that.
>>
witloof (Belgian Chicory). It just takes me forever to chew and it tastes like shit too. Given, the last time I ate it I was 10.
texture is similar to asparagus but more stringy and chewy. I really like asparagus, though.
>>
>>7535876
>>7535547
this Restaurant has 1 Michelin Star? with this Kind of food??? where? USA?
>>
>>7537709
It's Martin Wishart at Loch Lomond (Scotland).
>>
>>7537693
Sorry, just couldn't imagine dropping $60 on a meal for myself.
>>
>>7537690
I really don't see your problem with going out to a good restaurant for lunch. Certainly at Michelin star restaurants the lunch price is generally a quarter to a third of the evening costs for exactly the same level of cooking. My girlfriend and I are lucky enough to have weekdays off so we always take advantage of lunch deals at restaurants we couldn't otherwise afford to eat at.

Unless you're an extremely good cook with a lot of time and patience and very fancy kitchen equipment you could not feasibly achieve the same results cooking at home.
>>
>>7537712
Thanks, as a Cook who worked in several started Restaurant ( in France and Germany) i was a bit surprised of the low level of plating skills (i can't judge the quality of the food but I assume that it's fresh and high quality stuff).. it remember me the dishes I cooked in the 80's-90's....
>>
>>7537737
I don't think the restaurant was trying to be avant-garde in any way - presentation of the food was neat and attractive but the emphasis was more on the ingredients and quality of the food.

I have been to a few restaurants such as two starred Tim Raue in Berlin where the plating of the food seemed more important than the food itself - I find that all a bit ridiculous to be honest.
>>
>>7537745
yes you are right... some cooks forget that the most important is the taste and quality of the food, not the foams, jellies, crips , bubbles and other molecular stuff... I suppose that the restaurants had the stars a few years then and not a newcomer...
>>
File: peatinn.jpg (266 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
peatinn.jpg
266 KB, 1536x2048
>>7537760
This one has held a star since 2012 but Martin Wishart's other restaurant in Edinburgh has held one since 2001, so I suppose he's pretty confident in what he does.

My favourite restaurant is The Peat Inn in St. Andrews. That's held a star since the mid-80s and the cooking is unpretentious and absolutely delicious. The presentation isn't particularly delicate or precise but is instead very vibrant and enticing. I think I prefer this to precision, just makes you want to tuck in.
>>
>it's a '/ck/ hates expensive things' thread
>>
>>7536201
i eat it raw. yum
>>
>>7536526
if you're such an expert on the human brain why aren't you using it?
>>
>>7537784
just looking at that pic made me feel good, like real cozy all of a sudden. thanks opie. good trying to overcome cod, seemed like an alright bloke throughout the thread.
>>
>>7535547
Once on my birthday I had a sun-dried tomato pizza at a restaurant. I thought sun-dried tomatoes were more on the sweeter side, but they just tasted sour and metallic. I spent that night vomiting periodically until sunrise. For a while after that I couldn't even look at red-colored food without feeling sick.

I've tried sun-dried tomatoes again since then but they taste the same way. I could probably eat them now, but I wouldn't go out of my way for them.
>>
>>7537841
Cheers mate!
>>
>>7537846
I find chopped very small they're pretty pleasant, but I get what you mean if you bit right into a big one.
>>
File: onion.jpg (268 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
onion.jpg
268 KB, 1536x2048
>>7537841
A few other photos from the Peat Inn if you're interested - this is onion stuffed with slow cooked beef cheek and onion puree, was fucking delicious (and definitely not minuscule super model food!).
>>
File: mallard.jpg (148 KB, 1040x763) Image search: [Google]
mallard.jpg
148 KB, 1040x763
>>7537912
Mallard duck with crispy confit legs.
>>
File: souffle.jpg (217 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
souffle.jpg
217 KB, 1536x2048
>>7537921
Lastly passion fruit souffle with whisky chocolate sauce.

This was all on the lunch deal which is just under £30 a head.
>>
>>7537912
fuck I want to eat that
>>
File: 1458089123588.gif (556 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1458089123588.gif
556 KB, 480x270
>>7537912
>Beef Cheek
>In an onion

That looks excellent. Is it on top of rock salt?
>>
>>7535547
You are aware that you can override bad taste associations.

It seems 10 separate times eating it does the trick.

Start with dishes were the offending ingredient is a bit masked by other tastes.

Cod is delicious.
>>
>>7538064
Yes. That was my girlfriend's choice, I had the sea bream tartare with oyster mousse. She definitely picked the best starter.
>>
I can`t drink Coffee with Milk or sugar in it. It makes me fucking gag. I only drink black. No matter where I am.
>>
Remember having a box of malted milk balls as a kid then got stomach sick the next day. Can't eat them now they make me nauseous. Used to love em, sucks
>>
>>7538071
source/guide?
>>
>>7538100
Secondary source from:
http://www.amazon.com/Suffering-Succotash-Picky-Eaters-Understand/dp/0399537503

Suffering Succotash: A Picky Eater's Quest to Understand Why We Hate the Foods We Hate Paperback – July 3, 2012
by Stephanie V.W. Lucianovic

ISBN 0399537503

Could be mentioned in an Interview too, it is a toned down popular science book. (toned down science, but mentions still a bit)

I looked a bit in the source list of the book.
Cashdan, E. "Adaptiveness of Food Learningand Food Aversions in Children." Social Science Information 37(4), 613-32, 1998
Could be partly a Source on the topic.

"Why Bacon is a Gateway to meat for Vegetarians" (<- This sounds interesting and possible related.
>>
>>7538135
t. Stephanie V.W. Lucianovic
>>
>Choking on my food
>choking on hard dry foods

Ive been practicing on holding my breath so that when im choking i have more time to act. I can hold my breath for almost 3 minutes
>>
certain specific beers/alcoholic drinks, simply because one night I went hard on them and threw up/had bad times. No food really that I'm that way about though.
>>
>>7536120
Guys just a faggot
>>
>>7536268
Op confirmed autist
>>
if I were with some of you I'd just make you order dinosaur chicken nuggets

jesus
>>
Olives. Fuck olives, I'll eat them if I have to but I sure as fuck won't enjoy it. Whatever they're put on tends to get "tainted" by their fairly strong taste, too.

I don't particularly like avocados, to the point of avoiding them if possible. It's both a texture and taste thing, but mostly texture. I love most creamy things, but for some reason avocado isn't one of them.

Beyond that, I'd probably eat a fucking wet brick with a smile if you served it to me.
>>
>>7536537
>literally zero peer-reviewed, credible sources
>no empirical evidence
>claims "10/10 beat the fuck off"

it seems more like you were just beating yourself off, junior. L2research, and then kill yourself, faggot.
>>
i like going to fairly high scale sushi, not a good hole in the wall place, but a good swanky place.

but everytime it's a holiday like valentine's day or a birthday, i can't bring myself to go there for fear of judgement. i always feel like i'm a child playing dress up, thinking that sushi is the pinnacle of "date night".

same goes for ordering martinis, just feel like a child that saw it in a movie once, so i think i should order it to fit in with the "adults"

please help.
>>
I can't eat sunflower seeds anymore because when I was a kid I spent like two hours eating them and naturally my mouth was as puckered as my asshole. So, I took a swig of milk. It felt/tasted like it immediately curdled inside of me and that was the first and only time I ever projectile vomited.

I don't drink milk anymore either but I just don't like it anymore.
>>
>>7540228
>be me
>live in Hawaii
>good ass sushi
>allergic to shellfish
feelsbadman
>>
File: Lernaeocera_branchialis.jpg (1 MB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Lernaeocera_branchialis.jpg
1 MB, 1024x768
>>7535547

>Cod and related species are plagued by parasites. For example, the cod worm, Lernaeocera branchialis, starts life as a copepod, a small free-swimming crustacean larva. The first host used by cod worm is a flatfish or lumpsucker, which they capture with grasping hooks at the front of their body. They penetrate the lumpsucker with a thin filament which they use to suck its blood. The nourished cod worms then mate on the lumpsucker. The female worm, with her now fertilized eggs, then finds a cod, or a cod-like fish such as a haddock or whiting. There the worm clings to the gills while it metamorphoses into a plump, sinusoidal, wormlike body, with a coiled mass of egg strings at the rear. The front part of the worms body penetrates the body of the cod until it enters the rear bulb of the host's heart. There, firmly rooted in the cod's circulatory system, the front part of the parasite develops like the branches of a tree, reaching into the main artery. In this way, the worm extracts nutrients from the cod's blood, remaining safely tucked beneath the cod's gill cover until it releases a new generation of offspring into the water.

Why, why ever would ANYONE have an aversion to eating cod?! It's delicious!
Some people have the strangest hangups.
>>
>>7535547
certain seafood types I won't order from 'straunts because I just can't guarantee it hasn't been festering or whatnot. You just never know. And I have heard more than enough food poisoning stories from albeit not-so-bright family members, but still... I've worked in enough kitchens and all it takes is one retarded employee to be careless...
>>
>>7540327
>'straunts

dude...
>>
>>7537912
I wanted to waste 10 seconds of my life time by telling you that you come off as somebody not fun to be around. Have a nice day.
>>
>>7535694
>runs in the family

nobody runs in your family

u fat fuk
>>
>>7535694
>I'm not big on mayonnaise
You're just big. Fat ass.
>>
Grainy rice and noodles just totally envelopes my taste buds. I can't taste anything but the substance it seems to turn into once I bite into it. I still eat it. I've talked to other people about it, and they tell me it's not normal.

For a while I couldn't eat lasagna because school cafeteria had a spider problem. I had to keep picking dead spiders out of them. I didn't hate spiders I just hated that they walk through mice refuse then onto my meal. Found that out too late and I had eaten a number of them by then.

Bubbly substances on my meals/drinks that wont pop on its own. I imagine spit. So I avoid anything that has natural bubbles that won't pop. It just takes the idea to make me cut around it to avoid suspicion. Totally ruins the mood and whatever topic is going on being beside myself when I respond.

Certain fart/rotten egg smells trigger an old sensation and I remember a dead dog I had to carry back and forth. Can't eat if I get that sensation.

All/most of this is from a bad experience.
>>
>>7540302
As we all know, cod is the only fish -in fact, the only living creature- that ever gets parasites.

Anon, face it: The ocean is one big hellscape that we sometimes fool ourselves into thinking is kind of nice because some of the fish have pretty colours.
>>
>>7536295
Stop being a fucking faggot. Why do you think fungus is inherently gross? It is a texture thing as well. I recommend hypnosis, CBT, psychedelic drug use, or a combination of the three. To let your brain make a little bitch of you is a pathetic fate
>>
>>7535547
I cannot stand onions.
>>
>>7540228
Lol that's adorable anon!
>>
>>7535592

Pussy.
>>
File: 1358957217415.jpg (120 KB, 500x617) Image search: [Google]
1358957217415.jpg
120 KB, 500x617
I have only recently learned that Michelin-starred was a thing. I guess I'm supposed to feel that there's credence to the system just because so many other people respect it, but I just cannot stop laughing at the fact that a tire company holds so much sway over who eats at what restaurants.
>>
>>7540901
>I just cannot stop laughing at the fact that a tire company holds so much sway over who eats at what restaurants.

That's because you're a stupid plebe and always will be. Enjoy your TGI Fridays.
>>
File: 1333570444940.png (99 KB, 216x250) Image search: [Google]
1333570444940.png
99 KB, 216x250
>>7540934
Woah, hit a nerve on this hipster bretty gud.
>>
>>7536120
>real analytical/right-brained

The term you are looking for is "autism". He sounds like one of those Soylent faggots.
>>
>>7540901
It was started at a time when having a cage was a high class thing, and driving around the country looking for restaurants was something of an exclusive privilege.

Nowadays with even poor scum owning cages, and cage culture being associated with drive-thru [sic] and other horrors, it seems ridiculous to associate a manufacturer of cage accessories with fine dining, but that is the historical context.
>>
>>7537923
>£30 a head.
>for lunch

highway fucking robbery. I'd rather higher a personal chef for a few hours than fall for meme restaurants.
>>
>>7535559
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taste_aversion
>>
To me, bell peppers taste like shit, cilantro tastes like cheap soap and, where I live, everyone tries to stick both of those every-fucking-where.
>>
Mayonnaise.
The smell of it makes me vomit.
>>
since I was a kid I couldn't even be near crisps (potato chips), they stink, they're greasy, and just plain disgusting
>>
>>7541056
>I'd rather higher
Thanks for your opinion, Cletus
>>
File: DSCN1111.jpg (31 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1111.jpg
31 KB, 400x300
Bear with me, I'm too lazy to green text.

Before kindergarten I attended a government funded pre kindergarten program for low income families. The staff was pretty shady but my mom had no option. Every day we were served pretty standard cafeteria food for breakfast and lunch since most children were too poor to eat at home. I ate all of them except the Salisbury steak. It just looked so disgusting to me. Wasting food was not an option at this program. The teacher made me sit at the table til I ate at least a bite. She did this to everyone who didn't eat and made a point to humiliate them by calling them babies to the rest of the class. Eventually I gave in and had a bite. I threw up everywhere. She was furious. She made me clean up the vomit. We were running low on paper towels so she mostly made me use my hands. The smell was horrible and it was an extremely humiliating experience. Since then I can barely stand to look at Salisbury steak and have a fear of vomiting.
>>
>>7536207
that portion is fine you dip
you are supposed to have 4 or more courses at a place like that, dinner can take 2 hours and you are getting drunk the whole time
lots of fun
>>
>>7535793
I'm the same, I'm still not sure if it's the texture or taste of a combination but the second by of it is in my mouth I nearly throw up.
>>
Plantains I can't stand them, they just don't taste good to me. It's even worse that my family friend is Dominican, so that means I'm often invited to huge family get togethers where all the old ladies are shoveling food on my plate and I have to tip toe around the plantains
>>
>>7541828
sorry anon ;_;
>>
>>7541828
You really were a baby. It's a shame that beating kids is looked down upon these days.
>>
>>7541058
see:
>>7539678

that wikipedia article has a huge ass "citation needed" banner across the top. it is not a credible source of information.

please exit this board and kill yourself.
>>
seafood.

I just won't eat it unless i'm in Japan. I have this horrible fear that all American seafood will give me food poisoning.
>>
>>7536228
But anon, Haddock is awesome and tasty compared to cod
>>
>>7537175
Linguine and spaghetti makes you I'll. too bad, that sucks
>>
>>7543271
M-muh sicilian heritage... I was like that when I was younger tho. I cannot stand sushi. Fish is fine for me but sushi is gag tier. I remember when I was younger my moms friend from Japan came to visit and he bought a bunch of sushi on his way from the airport to our house. When he got there we all ate and he asked me to try one, seeing as I didn't care for fish or anything at the time. Took a bite and instantly gagged it up. Felt pretty shit about it too.
>>
Any kind of nut.

I'm kinda like.. allergic soooo..
>>
>>7535547

how much did you pay to spit cod into a toilet?

for me its almonds. fuck almonds/anything crusted in almond.

love pretty much any other nut almonds just suck
>>
File: 1459139119185.gif (3 MB, 279x350) Image search: [Google]
1459139119185.gif
3 MB, 279x350
>>7536453
true, except no sane person puts mole in their chili. honestly, if you don't use skyline, it's a different dish altogether. skyline chili is nasty as all get out.
Thread replies: 179
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.