[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I bought myself some tasty Dim Sum yesterday from my local Chinese
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: Dim+Sum+1.jpg (153 KB, 1639x1159) Image search: [Google]
Dim+Sum+1.jpg
153 KB, 1639x1159
I bought myself some tasty Dim Sum yesterday from my local Chinese supermarket. However, it was a bit intimidating.

I bought Char Sui buns, sichuan pork dumplings and chicken and vegetable gyoza.

What's your go to Dim Sum? There were glutinous rice rolls or something. Also chicken feet in black bean sauce but no idea how you even eat them.
>>
Dim sum is a social affair, the idea of dim sum takeout for eating alone is confusing, to say the least. At that point, isn't it just "some food I bought at the grocery store"? Or has the blogosphere taught gastronomically blighted flyovers that there is a fashoinable new thing called dim sum and all the piggly wigglies are now carrying random dumplings to attract the people who have started wearing the black glasses and carrying apple brand phones and sipping the radical new cappuchinos (a kind of eye-talian coffee with whip cream on top), among other signs of being well ahead of the times?
>>
>>7534252
So if a single person decides to have some xiaolongbao, chang fen, and xiajiao as a meal to have at home, that doesn't qualify as dim sum? I think it does qualify as dim sum. It wouldn't qualify as yum cha though.
>>
>>7534262
It's about as much "dim sum" as eating ham and eggs and mimosas alone at 12 noon while watching TV in your underwear is "brunch"

In some technical sense it may sort of qualify, but it's not what the word means, really
>>
>>7534262
>I think it does qualify as dim sum. It wouldn't qualify as yum cha though.

I always thought they were the same thing
>>
>>7534270
Except 'brunch' really is just the word used to describe a meal that covers both breakfast and lunch. It just means something fancy pants to people who didn't grow up with it.
>>
>>7534278
Dim sum is what you eat for yum cha. 'Yum cha' describes the event where you go to eat dim sum. It's just a bit difficult to translate.
>>
>>7534284
>fancy pants
What are you talking about? Brunch is fancy pants? Because it's on weekends?

It's not brunch if you eat it alone at home. It's not brunch if you took the day off work in the middle of the week. It is literally right there on the menu, "brunch menu". Yes, there is a historical etymology, but there is also modern usage, and in modern times it is physically impossible to eat "brunch" alone at home.
>>
>>7534288
Yum cha literally means to drink tea
>>
File: 1433443053253.png (585 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1433443053253.png
585 KB, 1024x768
>>7534243
What is Dim Sum?
>>
>>7534252
Jesus Christ get over yourself.
>>
>>7534252
there are certain foods associated with dim sum. that's what the op was talking about no need to be autismal

op i love soup dumplings
>>
> Dim sum is a social affair, the idea of dim sum takeout for eating alone is confusing, to say the least. At that point, isn't it just "some food I bought at the grocery store"? Or has the blogosphere taught gastronomically blighted flyovers that there is a fashoinable new thing called dim sum and all the piggly wigglies are now carrying random dumplings to attract the people who have started wearing the black glasses and carrying apple brand phones and sipping the radical new cappuchinos (a kind of eye-talian coffee with whip cream on top), among other signs of being well ahead of the times?
>>
>>7534376
You're the one arguing that conventional wisdom is wrong. Not me.
>>
File: 846.gif (2 MB, 331x248) Image search: [Google]
846.gif
2 MB, 331x248
>You're the one arguing that conventional wisdom is wrong. Not me.
>>
>>7534362
Is this seriously the first input I've got to my original question?
/ck/ is wank now. I thought this would be a decent change from 'hurr durr what's your favourite fast food burger??'
>>
>>7534252
Hah this post was funny but you are a total faggot, you must know.
>>
>>7534252
>eye-talian
oh, you're kidding
>>
one time me and my brother went to this Chinese place assuming it was regular American type chinese foood but it was dim sum. Some chink came with a try of stuff and it all looked disgusting. We were confused and left.
>>
>>7534243
Ignore that one asshole. I buy myself dim sum stuff from a local Asian market too. I just pick random shit and eat it the way that makes sense to me, sometimes I Google on my phone while I'm buying to see what exactly I, getting.
>>
Turnip cake, those bite size chicken pieces in lotus leafs and dumplings with water chestnuts and mushrooms is my choice.
>>
>>7535022
>implying Americanized Chinese food is better
>>
pork with black bean sauce nigga
>>
>>7535088
I don't know. Never actually ate dim sum.
>>
>>7535110
You didn't even try it?
>>
File: dimsum.jpg (95 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
dimsum.jpg
95 KB, 500x500
These are my favourites. I know they're all basic af but the fuzz will never catch me.
>>
>>7534243
Chicken feet you basically eat everything except the bone. Eating cartilage and tendon is pretty normal in Asia. I have tried it a few times, but never gotten to like it. My wife will sometimes order this, or Beef Tendon if it is offered.

My favorites:
Steamed Char Sui Bao
Baked Pineapple Buns
Shu Mai
Shrimp cakes (pork shrimp + green onion pan fried)
Sticky rice
Taro dumplings
Steamed sponge cake

Those are available at most places. Some other things I will order depending on what is good at any particular restaurant.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.