[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm going to be roasting a chicken later in the oven. What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
I'm going to be roasting a chicken later in the oven. What is the best way to get a crispy skin?

Do I start high first, get it crispy, then cover and finish? Or do I cover, roast it, then uncover and finish on high?
>>
Make sure to pat the skin dry before you put it in.
>>
You need to get rid of the water in, on and near the skin, since the water acts as a regulator towards 100°C. Crispy simply means dehydrated, and browning occurs only above the boiling point of water. So you want to pat it dry, and leave enough time for water to evaporate. You don't want the bird covered in steam once the skin is crisp since it can turn soggy again from condensation. You want to cover with oil because it is hydrophobic and thereby accelerates heat transfer and water displacement, and facilitates Maillard
>>
>>7534134
This explanation is reasonable but
>>7534115
this is insufficient, the best thing is to pat dry the night before, and cover in coarse salt, and place on a rack in the fridge, uncovered. This draws out as much water as possible from the surface

then in the morning, when it's time to cook the bird, scrape off all the salt, and brush it with oil
>>
Make sure to rub the skin in a good amount of salt.
>>
>>7534113
butterfly the chicken
>>
take off the skin and fry it in a pan separately, then reapply when the chicken is cooked.
>>
File: r27.jpg (45 KB, 405x497) Image search: [Google]
r27.jpg
45 KB, 405x497
Other than removing extra moisture (patting the skin), separating the skin from the meat is also important. That little space that is created after putting your hand under the skin helps the skin fry up.

For small birds, following those should get you crispy skin for the needed cooking time without cranking up the temperature at the end.
>>
The chicken is 4.20lbs, should I cook it at 350 per pound, uncovered?

I'm trying to get the skin cooked all the way through without fucking up the skin/outside.

It's resting on bed of peral onions, orange pepper, celery and carrots. With some light seasoning of sea salt, Bpepper, and a little paprika and garlic. I was just going for a pretty basic chicken. I also melted some butter and brushed on it on before the seasonings; and yes, I patted the chicken dry beforehand.

I don't normally do whole chickens, but I'm going to a friends later and was going to bring this. Which is why I'm not so great at roasting entire ones.
>>
>>7534250

350 is good, I believe that would be 20 min/lb but could vary with cooking veggies with it. Just take the temperature before pulling it.
>>
>>7534113
Get a good roasting pan with a rack that raises it above the juices. Use convection if you have it. Baste it every now and then.
>>
>>7534272
What's the rec. temp for a whole cooked chicken? 180? Or is that too high?

What if I did it at 350 for the time, and then that last 15min at 400, to give it a little extra heat/crisp? Or would that make it too dry?
>>
>>7534293

165 is the normal, if you see 180 in the dark meat, should be fine. That won't dry out as quickly.

For turkey, I do crank the temp up at the beginning, but that is also brined unlike a chicken. If you are nearing the end and not seeing the skin you like, you can crank it up, but anything more than 10 mins probably is risking it.
>>
>>7534250
dude seperating the skin from the meat isn't difficult. just use a spoon and go at it slowly. add some seasoned butter to that space too queen and you'll have yourself a fabulous roast chicken

also if you butterfly the chicken you can fry it so that you can guarantee a crispy skin, then you can put it in the oven covered in foil without having to worry about a thing
>>
Also make sure you remove the ankle restraints and spread its thighs before roasting.
>>
the problem here is that once you take the chicken out of the oven, the skin is then left to absorb the steam coming off the meat (especially if you cover the meat with foil to rest). i have roasted chickens in so many different ways, i think that it's basically impossible to get a well cooked chicken crispy skin, as if you do get crispy skin, then the meat will be dry as fuck. i now resign myself to cooking the chicken on a high temperature to brown at the start, and then reducing the temp until it cooks through properly (usually over a pan of water to start the gravy)
>>
File: Chicken.jpg (111 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
Chicken.jpg
111 KB, 960x720
Roasting a bird is not rocket science...
>>
>>7535007
Don't forget to gently but firmly stuff it after spreading the thighs. Don't want to waste the opportunity.
>>
>>7534250
4.20 Lbs?
That's a nice size bird. I think you should do fine as long as you [spoiler]blaze it.[/spoiler]
>>
>>7534113
How was it
>>
>>7536371
kek
>>
>>7534113
High heat all the way, put quite a lot of salt on the skin.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.