[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Non american here. What is American cuisine like? What spices,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 190
Thread images: 30
File: americanculture600x3201.jpg (56 KB, 600x320) Image search: [Google]
americanculture600x3201.jpg
56 KB, 600x320
Non american here. What is American cuisine like? What spices, vegetables and cuts of meat do they use?
>>
burger
>>
America is both huge and diverse, with a lot of regional variations. The food culture is just as broad, so it's not easy to lump it all together.
>>
File: ProductSmokedplate-Blue.jpg (162 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
ProductSmokedplate-Blue.jpg
162 KB, 1000x1000
Depends. We eat everything. Lots of international food, lots of our own food that is being sold as international food like "mexican food" and "chinese food". We have the authentic stuff too but most stuff is our own that was just inspired by foreign food. We eat a lot of beef, chicken, and pork. Most popular vegetables are potatoes, tomatoes, lettuces, peppers, and onions. The most common spices are black pepper, garlic, cayenne pepper.

Right now I'm eating smoked boudain, it's a regional sausage made from rice, pork, liver, and herbs/spices. For lunch I had a bowl of chicken and smoked sausage gumbo, also a regional food. Most of the country doesn't eat this normally but here it's completely normal. Whereas other parts of the country have regional things they eat all the time that I'd rarely eat or maybe haven't even heard of. People forget how big and regional America is.
>>
The same ones you use, and much, much more.
>>
NYC probably has a more varied cuisine than all of Europe simply by virutue of having, for example, Asian, Ukrainian, Ethiopian, and Mexican supermarkets within walking distance of each other.
>>
>>7532642

>Lots of international food, lots of our own food that is being sold as international food like "mexican food" and "chinese food"

Came here to shitpost but that pretty much describes every "national" cousine. It's all mixed at this point everywhere. I'm thinking in tomatoes, chili, corn, potatoes, rice, beans, etc.

>it's a regional sausage made from rice, pork, liver, and herbs/spices

Now that's interesting. Does it comes pre-smoked or you cook it on a smoker?
>>
>>7532618
Generally depends on which state you're talking about.
>>
>>7532655
Sometimes you can buy it pre smoked but it isn't traditional. Normally boudain is poached in its native Louisiana but in Texas we tend to like to smoke it or at least throw it on the grill. What I'm eating was bought from a fundraiser and it is very very smoked, like it's been smoking for hours. It's probably the best I've had. But to answer your question smoking is the usual, thats just how I like it.
>>
File: possum.jpg (67 KB, 650x487) Image search: [Google]
possum.jpg
67 KB, 650x487
>>7532618
Delicious
>>
American food culture relies on taking all the best and most popular foods and ingredients from around the world and improving / customizing it for mass appeal. Basically it's a diet of extreme variety. There are also a lot of regional specialties since it's a very large country with diverse population. New York style pizza, Chicago deep dish, Coney Island hot dogs, Buffalo spicy chicken wings, Louisiana gumbo, California rolls, barbecue in many places. Etc etc.
>>
>>7532643
This is kind of true. We are usually pretty heavy handed on whatever spices we happen to be using. Not extreme like the poo poo Indians but somebody coming from say Eastern Europe would think our stuff was salty and spicy.
>>
>>7532656
Right. Tell me about Nebraska, Montana, Alabama, Oregon, Hawaii, Tennessee, Vermont and Pennsylvania
>>
>>7532669
Thanks man. Learned something new today. Going to look for a recipe and try to make some boudain myself.
>>
File: italy.jpg (28 KB, 750x469) Image search: [Google]
italy.jpg
28 KB, 750x469
This picture should help some Europeans with perspective. Italy cuisine is notoriously regional. Wrap your head about how regional it is, or google it if you aren't familiar. The entire country of Italy is roughly the size of California. Now our regional differences aren't as condensed as Italy but you get what I'm saying. Its a huge country, what we eat in one state we probably aren't eating in another. For the foods we have in common we most likely prepare them differently.
>>
>>7532718
With Hawaii, it is mostly asian-inspired or adapted dishes like spam musubi, saimin or things like plate lunches and loco mocos. Generally though, many things come with a side of rice or macaroni salad.
>>
>>7532669
>smoking is the usual

I meant is not the usual, traditionally it is poached and thats how most of it is prepared. smoking is popular in some areas.
>>
>>7532627
This.

You can get every fucking kind of burger in America. And more pizzas than you can count.
>>
>>7532618
Chef John said it best, the height of American cuisine is that we can and will take your country's most precious dish and make it a casserole.
>>
>>7532645
NYC is varied I will grant you but using varied ingredients to make shitty incongruous food is no great achievement. If you want the finest meal of your life you can bet your ass it will be in East Asia or Western Europe.
>>
>>7532730

That hardly does justice to food in Hawaii.

Yeah it's best described as "pan-Asian", but people aren't eating plate lunch for every meal. There's also traditional Hawaiian food, local produce and livestock, and fresh fish from the middle of the Pacific. If you didn't know, there's also just as many tourists as residents in Hawaii at any given time, so as a tourist destination there are restaurants catering to every taste under the sun. It's not exactly Las Vegas, but there's a good mix of local cuisine and all sorts of other stuff.
>>
>>7532753
>ma
east asians don't know how to cook. Also NYC is the #1 city in the world.
>>
>>7532763
>NYC is the #1 city in the world
>NYC is the #1 anything in the world
#1 crockpot of shitty American culture. A whoreton of foreigners can make it smell different but it is the same shit as the rest of the country.
>>
>>7532763

As far as US cities go, San Francisco and Portland (OR) have much better food unless you're a millionaire and only eat fine dining for every meal.
>>
>>7532725
Italy has existed much longer than the US and had more time to cultivate a diverse range of localized cuisines. The USA is more amalgamated. Huge chunks of that map eat the same bland shit.
>>
>>7532763
>east asians don't know how to cook
You may just be the stupidest nigger even to post here
>>
>>7532791
Italian food uses a bunch of ingredients from the new world meanwhile America has it's own English-derived cuisine + stuff they made up by themselves + stuff immigrants brought.
>>
File: can-of-cheese1.jpg (80 KB, 720x900) Image search: [Google]
can-of-cheese1.jpg
80 KB, 720x900
>>7532797
Youve never been to Italy. Please stop talking out of your ass like Americans have a richly nurtured food culture.

Try finding shit like this in Italy.
>>
>>7532813
>Try finding shit like this in Italy.
It's almost as rare as finding good food in Italy.
>>
>>7532818
>as rare as finding good food in Italy
You arent even trying fatass
>>
>>7532821
I may be fat but at least I'm not Italian.
>>
>>7532835
Then you be fat, greasy, and hairy.
>>
File: giphy.gif (29 KB, 482x800) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
29 KB, 482x800
>>7532835
>>7532837
>visit a food board
>only like ameriturd food
The fuck are you doing with your lives
>>
>>7532848
If Americans don't make your food, it's because your food is shit.
>>
>>7532793 jacks off to anime and wishes he had a "waifu"

>>7532783
You obviously have never eaten in a five star restaurant in NYC.
>>
>>7532848
>Visit a food board
>Just assume things so I can shitpost about Americans because I'm completely obsessed and butthurt
>>
American cuisine is great because everyday americans have access to very fresh food, because our agriculture and infrastructure are so good.
>>
>>7532671

Send help, I can't stop laughing at the casserole monster.
>>
"Soul" Food is found in the American South, primarily East if the Mississippi. It's largely a blending of African and German cuisine. For example, Schnitzel becomes fried steak and jäger sauce becomes cream gravy. Hackbraten becomes meatloaf. Etc.

Cajun and Creole are both marriages of French and African cuisines. But have deviated much further from their source than soul food has. Gumbo is essentially a bouillabaisse, for example.

BBQ is similar to central Asian cuisines, but likely evolved independently. There are several regional varieties of bbq, but Memphis style is best. (Fuck off, Texas)

The North East has some dishes which seem to be inspired by English cooking with French highlights. Clam Chowder is basically a bisque. I don't know much about Yankee food though. Northerners don't know how to cook unless they learn from Europeans.

The Midwest has some peculiarities. St Louis and Cincinnati are famous for tossing random shit together and pretending they like it. Then they boast about their rich food traditions.

Seriously. Look up St Louis style pizza and Skyline Chili spaghetti. Shit's nasty.

Speaking of Chili: it's best found in Texas (have to give credit, damnit), or New Mexico. Chili is rooted in Central European stews like Goulasch influenced by Native foods. In fact, my chili recipe is my Goulasch recipe with chili powder instead of paprika and add pinto and kidney beans, and tomatoes.

Typed on phone. Forgive any typos.
>>
File: 1459364595138.jpg (597 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1459364595138.jpg
597 KB, 800x800
>>7532642
I had boudain for the first time on New Years. I was not disappointed.
>>
>>7532969
On a personal note, my favorite American dish is a Soul Food dish: collard greens and pinto beans both cooked with a little salt pork and served with corn bread and a spicy hot pepper sauce like Tobasco or Louisiana hot sauce.
>>
>>7532618

OFFICIAL STUFF I EAT THE MOST OF POWER RANKINGS

onion
tomato
ground turkey/beef
cucumber
potato
>>
>>7532969

i wish more posts were as informative as this one, good job senpai
>>
>>7532997
My pleasure. I absolutely respect European food, but I am proud of our cuisines too.
>>
>>7532618
>What spices, vegetables and cuts of meat do they use?
All of them.

The US is a land of extremes.

We have everything the rest of the world has.

We have the best ingredients, and the worst.

We have the best products, and the worst.

We have the best cheese, beer, veggies, etc.......and the worst.

What is American cuisine?

It's literally the entire world's.
>>
>>7533017
This. I couldn't tell you what is an "American" dish except for the extremely obvious ones (hamburgers, hotdogs, etc.). On any given day I'm eating another culture's food like a thief.
>>
>>7533026
See
>>7532969
>>
File: HABEEB IT.jpg (65 KB, 512x407) Image search: [Google]
HABEEB IT.jpg
65 KB, 512x407
>>7532969
>The Northeast

New England and the rest of what everyone else calls the Northeast have different cuisine. New England clam chowder and New York clam chowder, for example, are very different.

Seafood is a great point of contrast between New York and New England, actually. NY has garbage bullshit whitefish salad, while New England has steamers and the best lobster in the world. Nothing beats grilling a whole Striper, too (Cape Cod here).

Marylandfags will go on and on about muh crabcakes, Florida + Gulf Coast has great seafood too, and my point is American seafood is rad but also really regional. The bigger point is that there isn't one American cuisine because different parts of the States are so different from one another, in some cases about as different from each other as countries in the EU are.
>>
>>7532969
>Gumbo is essentially a bouillabaisse
You take that back, fucking retard.
>>
>>7532969
>Memphis style is best. (Fuck off, Texas)
No.
>>
>>7533054
Either a corn dog who is ignorant of his heritage, or a denizen of last belle Marseilles, who knows nothing of French colonialism.
>>
>>7533057
Yes.
>>
>>7532912
Negro your country imports everything.
>>
>>7533054
I do think gumbo is at least in the bouillabaisse family tree. The French element of that area's culture definitely influenced the development of gumbo into its current form.
>>
>>7533054
Everything is a version of something else you dingus. Show me something unique and great that is not an interpretation of something previouslly created/discovered.
>>
>>7532969
I have to give a rebuttal about the barbecue, Carolina style is clearly superior.

I'm with you on telling Texas to fuck off, though. No one likes you guys.
>>
File: Jewasaurus.jpg (14 KB, 236x418) Image search: [Google]
Jewasaurus.jpg
14 KB, 236x418
>>7533109
Carolina a best. Texas a shit.

>>7533054
This is either decent bait or total lack of perspective.
>>
>>7533070
>>7533102
>>7533107
>>7533131
>bouillabaisse
>What makes a bouillabaisse different from other fish soups is the selection of Provençal herbs and spices in the broth; the use of bony local Mediterranean fish; the way the fish are added one at a time, and brought to a boil; and the method of serving.

>gumbo
>consists primarily of a strongly-flavored stock, meat or shellfish, a thickener, and the Cajun holy trinity of vegetables, namely celery, bell peppers, and onions.
>>
>>7533072
No.
>>
>>7533156
>not a cook

Well bless your heart, you can copy from Google.

Honey, I've prepared both gumbo and bouillabaisse many times. They are born of the same spirit.

Both use very similar techniques. Of course the ingredients change. Can't exactly access Mediterranean seafood in the Delta swamp.

Also, I did say that they had differed from their source by quite a bit, if you will recall.
>>
>>7533177
>grilled steak and grilled chicken are the same thing
>>
>>7533164
Yes.

Memphis
KC
Carolina
Texas
>>
>>7533182
>Smoked ribs isn't BBQ because smoked chicken is.
>>
>>7533182
Plus I didn't say they were the same thing, you fucking autist. I said gumbo evolved from boullabiase.
>>
>>7532791
Why does that matter? You realize Italian immigrants came to America and brought with them your cooking, right?

America has probably more authentic Italian chef masters than Italy does
>>
>>7533182

different species of small bony saltwater fish aren't even close to as disparate in taste as flesh from a 1 ton mammal and a 5lb bird.

Quit being deliberately obtuse.
>>
>>7532618
Just read through this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisine_of_the_United_States
>>
File: bbq mop.jpg (299 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
bbq mop.jpg
299 KB, 3264x2448
>>7532618

There's tons of types of barbecue, all are essentially derived from indigenous cooking techniques involving lots of smoke and placing the meat over low heat for extended periods of time. Southerners love pork because historically pigs thrive in that climate better than cows, while midwesterners and Texans prefer beef because beef because their regions are better suited to cattle ranching. Beef barbecue uses the cheap, tough cuts of meat that can't be cooked easily over high heat while pork barbecue uses the shoulder, butt, or even the whole hog.

Sides vary based on regional preferences, but typically include some kind of corn-based bread product (hushpuppies, cornbread, cornpone, etc.), a beans and rice based dish (red beans and rice, hoppin john, dirty rice, etc), and steamed green leaves (collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, etc) which are derived from west African cooking traditions. Sweet potatoes are another common side dish.
>>
>>7533185
No.
>>
>>7533250
Never seen greens steamed; always stewed/braised. Usually with some sort of lardon.

Spot on otherwise.
>>
>>7533250
That pic was not a very intelligent choice m8. You're bound to get /int/ed
>>
>>7533263
/''\'
>>
>>7533264
>Never seen greens steamed
You must be some kind of retard that people hide their cooking from then. Seriously, never seen greens steamed? You're a dumbass.
>>
>>7533268
No.
>>
>>7533273
Must be an aggie.

Poor soul.
>>
>>7533280
Well shit.

I'm literally an A&M grad.

Good guess.
>>
>>7533282
Monosyllabic answers gave it away.

But I guess it's hard to type when one hand is up a cow's vagina all the time anyway.
>>
>>7532618
Va reporting in

Cuisine here ranges from italian dishes(pastas), korean style sushi, and BURGERS.
salad with meals are standard fare
I personally prefer very bitter italian vinaigrette, although most people here like that mayo based dressing, yuck.
BBQ is a staple, pulled chicken/pulled pork is another main dish.
>>
mcdonalds lol
>>
File: brunswick stew cookoff.jpg (73 KB, 478x640) Image search: [Google]
brunswick stew cookoff.jpg
73 KB, 478x640
>>7533264

I meant stewed, but I've had them steamed as well.

>>7533302

NoVa please go

Virginia cuisine is Brunswick stew, molasses pork chops, country ham, soul food, smoked shad, crab cakes, chilled oysters, and sweet potato biscuits. Fuck outta here with that Italian nonsense, the only Italian immigrants to Virginia before the New Jerseyans all came down to suck the government's tit were the Taliaferros.
>>
>>7532618
sage is used and cheese an inordinate amount of cheese.but the hallmarks of american cuisine are loud flavors that build off each other so so-cal fish tacos will have a ton of citrus and southwest chili has a load of spice tangy is a word that gets thrown around a lot, tangy sauces and tangy ribs pulled pork ectera, also out food is syncretic forexample a ocal favorite in WV is the pepperoni roll which is a polish perogi stuffed with cheep Italian american meat as mining communities in WV were primarily polish and italian. The weirdest part is everyone around here is content to put slaw on cheep hotdogs but Rampions and morel mushrooms literally grow in our back yards it pisses me off to no end that there is no other food culture in WV outside of whats cheep and quick with such wonderfully prized local natural ingredients available. Also ethnic-american cuisine is a beast all its own chinese american is completely different from native chinese dishes, as is italian american case in point i work at a pizzeria in MD across the boarder and we commit the grave sin of putting seafood in cheese sauce and topping it with parmesan. which i know is wrong as I grew up in an italian american family from NY.

but the basis of american cooking is don't use offal serve your food in some kind of heavily flavored sauce, have a corn dish. and make it as cheaply and quickly as you can unless it's barbeque.
>>
>>7533482

West Virginia has a fine food culture, it's just that the majority of its people are too ashamed to admit it consists of squirrels, 'possums, and raccoons so it stays hidden.
>>
top tier:
south
south west

mid tier:
northwest
northeast
mid atlantic

shit tier:
midwest
>>
Liar
>>
>>7533623

you just don't know what to get from the midwest

toasted ravioli and italian beef, for starters, are god-tier.
>>
>>7533623
Northwest is ridiculously good. That's coming from someone from the southwest. The seafood, meat and produce in Washington and Oregon is top titty. The rampant hipsters know what to do with it.
>>
>>7532642
*boudin (pronounced boo-dan)

t. Louisianian
>>
>>7533633
Not to mention steak quality, deep dish, horseshoes, pasties, or that wisconsin is little germany
>>
File: o.jpg (75 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
o.jpg
75 KB, 700x525
>>7533696
Americans are people whose origins are all over the world. This is what you can get in Milwaukee.
>>
File: feet.jpg (77 KB, 504x374) Image search: [Google]
feet.jpg
77 KB, 504x374
>>7533783
Available in Minneapolis.
>>
File: mex.jpg (146 KB, 700x420) Image search: [Google]
mex.jpg
146 KB, 700x420
>>7533787
Duluth Minnesota
>>
File: wisconsin.jpg (217 KB, 1058x587) Image search: [Google]
wisconsin.jpg
217 KB, 1058x587
>>7533696
>Wisconsin
>>
File: ethiopia.jpg (201 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
ethiopia.jpg
201 KB, 1024x683
>>7533789
Bismark North Dakota
>>
>>7533790
0/10. Why don't you go shitpost in /mlp.
>>
>>7533789
>>7533791

Being able to find ethnic foods in those cities doesn't mean they're part of the regional cuisine. The northern midwest has mostly shitty food because hardly anything grows there but corn and potatoes and they don't have access to the sea.
>>
>>7533790
Hmm on the other hand, it actually shows that even though it is sponsored by the Wisconsin Cheese makers association they aren't afraid to pick what they think are the best cheese. Interesting.
>>
File: 1395718880838.jpg (52 KB, 610x288) Image search: [Google]
1395718880838.jpg
52 KB, 610x288
>>7532684

>improving
>>
>>7533635
Olympia here, can confirm. Lots of great seafood here, shellfish, grass fed beef and heritage style farming.
>>
>>7533816
>implying freshwater fish isn't better anyways
>>
>>7532618
As someone that isn't american my perception of American cuisine is that it doesn't have any.
Americans eat european food i.e Burgers, hotdogs, pizza, waffles, pan cakes etc

Maybe the peanut butter and jam sandwich
>>
>>7533816
>The northern midwest has mostly shitty food because hardly anything grows there
This just isn't true at all. They can't grow tropical shit like California, but otherwise it is excellent farmland, with some of the best soil in the country
>>
>>7532969
> For example, Schnitzel becomes fried steak and jäger sauce becomes cream gravy.

There's no such thing as jager sauce. There's hunter sauce, but that's for french cuisine.
>>
>>7534559
Do you really consider burgers, hot dogs and pizza to be more European than American? America developed and popularized the modern concept of each of these foods
>>
>>7534565
>Do you really consider burgers, hot dogs and pizza to be more European than American
Yes
>>
>>7534578
well thats kind of silly
You would never have even heard of those foods if not for america
>>
>>7533109
>Carolina style
North or South Carolina? If North, Eastern or Western style? There is a difference between all of these, and I'm not even sure about the different styles in South Carolina.
>>
File: 1457831146186.jpg (181 KB, 853x1280) Image search: [Google]
1457831146186.jpg
181 KB, 853x1280
>>7534578
thank you for backing up your opinion

I can now see why you might think that
>>
>>7534584
I'm sure the people in Frankfurt, Hamburger and Naples would disagree with you.
>>
>>7534788
i'm sure the people of the entire rest of the world would not
>>
>>7534788

If I asked someone from Europe "Who eats Burgers, Hot Dogs, and Pizza" They would not respond "Hamburg, Frankfurt, and Naples", they would say "Fat stupid americans."
>>
>>7534788
but hamburgers have nothing to do with Hamburg. They were invented entirely in America

Note that Americans named a lot of dishes after other locations, often places where immigrants who liked to eat the stuff came from, or sometimes just after the place where a guy who popularized it's family used to be from. A ton of modern food associations come from associations with immigrant communities in America that only later went back to the country it was associated with. This most famously occurs with pizza, which was pretty much unknown in Italy until people seeing it in American media went there looking for it
>>
>>7534822

You're wrong. The former "Hamburger" was known as "Hamburg Steak" and is from, well, Hamburg. Sailors from Hamburg brought them to the US
>>
>>7534852

That just goes to show Hamburg knows shit about steak.
>>
>>7534855

And that just shows you that the "Hamburg Steak" was a poor people meal. Was around 18something. Check wikipedia.
>>
>>7534852
yeah, because of all those late 1800 german naval expeditions to America

The historical record isn't exactly clear but the vast majority of evidence suggests the hamburger became a thing in America
>>
>>7534819
True, but if you asked them where they came from you'd get a different answer.

Point is American food is bastardised European food.
Just like all their sports are bastardised versions of European sports.
>>
>>7534867
Please recall that America was settled by europeans, its kind of silly to suggest that as people moved to the new world they lost claim to all of their people's tradition. American food and sport tradition is no more or less bastardized than modern european forms, they are just slightly different evolutionary paths of the same traditions
>>
>>7534852
The 'hamburger steak' you are referring to was simply a pile of seasoned ground beef, usually served raw.
Kind of a stretch to say that that means the modern hamburger is a german dish when the recipe of putting a patty of ground beef between bread was entirely american
>>
>>7532784
San Fran may have better seafood, both american inspired and Japanese, that's it. Portland? Are you even trying?
>>
>>7533017
This. I can make every dish at home in the US that I've tried throughout Europe, have a wide access to ingredients, from shit tier to best of best, imported or domestic.
>>
>>7534948

PDX has an amazing food scene. Have you even been?
>>
File: Glorified_Rice.png (581 KB, 700x400) Image search: [Google]
Glorified_Rice.png
581 KB, 700x400
Glorified rice is a midwestern original not founds in any european city.
>>
>>7535041
What the fuck is with the midwest creating unholy combinations of canned fruit and whipped cream?

Particularly crushed pineapple and pie-topping cherries.
>>
US Food Culture is just like their global culture. Absorb, consume, and move to the next.
>>
>>7535041
that's ambrosia salad nigga
>>
>>7535057
>unholy
It is consumed in church basements you uncultured slob. It is more holy than all the barbecue in texas.
>>
File: dsc_0030.jpg (3 MB, 3482x2329) Image search: [Google]
dsc_0030.jpg
3 MB, 3482x2329
>>
>>7535073
>Church basements
yeah but they're Christian churches. If they were Mosques it would be holy, infidel.
>>
>>7535071
There is no rice in ambrosia salad you uneducated jailbird.
>>
>>7535079
>If they were Mosques
If they were mosques it wouldn't be America shitstain.
>>
>>7535095
Give it time.
>>
>>7532989
OFFICIAL STUFF OP EATS THE MOST OF POWER RANKINGS

cock
>>
All the people saying that the regional variation of American cuisine is too broad to fit in a single post are the same who casually opine on Indian and Chinese food as if it were one thing. Whereas in reality two neighboring villages in either country have more variation in their cuisine than the whole of America.
>>
>>7535057
its not just the midwest, this is classic america food
>>
File: hi cotton2.gif (4 MB, 306x224) Image search: [Google]
hi cotton2.gif
4 MB, 306x224
>>7534605

East Carolina, the kind where the sauce is just apple cider vinegar with bits of cayenne pepper and black peppercorns floatin in it with some corn starch too to thicken it up.

It's so simple yet so delicious. Get some pulled pork on a Hawaiian roll and add that sauce and wash it down with a bottle of cheerwine and you're in hog heaven.
>>
Cajun cooking is the best cuisine America has to offer.
>>
>>7534605
There is no "south carolina" bbq, there are 3 distinct types, more than NC bbq.

Only vinegar based BBQ in real SC BBQ.
>>
>>7532969
Damn, I'd never made the soul food / german connection before.

Kinda ironic.
>>
>>7532969
I-I've never thought about American cuisine like this before.
>>
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 386x460) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 386x460
>>7533511
>rodents and oversized rodents

How is that in any way, a "fine" food culture?
>>
>>7534584
Maybe not the modern archetypes, but the things they were derived from were spread across Europe well before the US was formed.

The concept of a hamburg steak at least was being mentioned in England around the 1750s. Basically every culture makes sausages, and frankfurters specifically have been around since 15C. Flavoured flatbreads are practically prehistoric, but the modern version using tomato was developed pretty much as soon as they were brought back from the Americas.

Despite that tomato connection for pizza, I think hotdogs are the one you'd have the most claim to, since actually putting the thing into a bun was first popularised in St Louis.
>>
>>7534865
On an unrelated note as I suspect I just read the same page as you, "late eighteenth century" doesn't mean "late 1800s". I know it's retarded, don't blame me.
>>
>>7535660
most of the immigration to america was late 1800s, not late 18th century.
earlier references to hamburger just meant a raw ground beef similar to steak tartare, it was americans that created a sandwich with cooked ground beef patties
>>
>>7535660
It's not retarded, it's just how numbers work.
>>
>>7535605

because it's delicious
>>
>>7537032
Small disease carrying rodents are not for eating
>>
>>7537045

That's literally their purpose in the food chain, and I can't think of any disease they could have that can survive being cooked.
>>
File: image.jpg (67 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67 KB, 600x600
>>7537079
>rodents carry smallpox, plague, rabies
>get a small drop of raw meat or blood on the counter
>cross contaminate, infect and kill whole family.

Yeah bud you keep eating rodents.
>>
>>7537131

Smallpox has been extinct since the 70s, plague is confined to very specific areas and causes less than 2 deaths per year, and nobody eats rabid raccoons.

Quit being such a pussy.
>>
>>7534605
Lexington > Eastern.
>>
>>7533460
this.
>>
>>7537131

>being this narrow-minded.
>>
Here in Wisconsin its almost all just German and Mexican food.
>>
>>7532725
You're cute in how you talk out of your ass. All of you gobble the same mac & cheese, hot dogs and buckets of mayonnaise no matter where one goes. There is no regional variation, there's the same supermarket chains with the same products and the same little robot people everywhere.

Don't try to impress people on false credentials. You're non-people.
>>
File: dessert salad.webm (3 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
dessert salad.webm
3 MB, 480x270
It's very untraditional in the way you Euros would look at it.

For example, this is a webm showing the preparation of a dessert/main hybrid dish that uses Capsicum, Cool Whip and Jello all together in the same meal. It sounds crazy to a Euro mind, but it's a dish enjoyed widely across the country and loved by all.

This unrestricted way of looking at food makes it hard to define. So to answer your question, I would say "all". And then they find what works.
>>
>>7537574
>Capsicum

Just say Pepper you pikey
>>
>>7537574
0/10
>>
>>7532645
>Naming every meme supermarket
>>
>>7536512
Not necessarily, we could have had a zeroth ordinal.
>>
File: 1440555197460.jpg (203 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1440555197460.jpg
203 KB, 960x960
>>7537524
Not him but that's some Grade-A Platinum mad you got there, kiddo
>>
>>7532618
Everything you can find in europe, except it's authentic, with hfcs and a side of aerosol spray condiments.
>>
>>7537574
This is horrifying, but don't scandi people do similar shit?
>>
>>7537850

u wot m8?
>>
>>7534578
Lol....
>>
>>7537829
>first century after christ
>zeroth century after christ
nah, that's not how numbers work
>>
>>7539093
It's not how language works, but language is constructed. If we'd come up with the idea of zero before ordinals, we'd probably use zeroth before first.
>>
>>7539150
the first thing that happens is always going to be called the first in its line, not the zeroth

show me any language (that isn't a programming language) where the grammar works differently
>>
>>7539178
Czech.
>>
>>7539193
source
>>
>>7532618
> Spices
None, pretty much.

> Vegetables
Corn.

> Cuts of meat
Mostly cheap shit ground up and loaded with HFCS.
>>
>>7539205
Can you read Czech? Search for "nultá". It was a flip answer anyway, Czech uses the zeroth ordinal slightly more commonly, but you're right that it doesn't generally refer "forwards" to the period it covers. In English we say things like "zero hour" in a similar way for example, but it's more rare.

All I'm saying is it's not some fundamental aspect of the universe that makes "first" mean the first part of something. It's just a word. If we decided to start with "zeroth" instead and move all of the others back, the ordinals would line up with the cardinals.
>>
>>7539222
no one was saying it was a fundamental aspect of the universe, i was saying it was a fundamental aspect of how language uses numbers

fact is that there is nothing strange about 1800-1899 not being the 18th century, it's just how we usually use numbers

if it's inconvenient then blame it on the fact that we've gone for way too long since we last declared year 0
>>
>>7539226
Yeah, it is a fundamental aspect of how existing languages work, but I think that's mainly because most languages came about before zero was a common concept. Hell, Italy tried to ban it once.
>>
>>7539247
no, it's because the first thing that happens is not the zeroth thing that happens, they aren't the same thing in a logical sense
>>
>>7539210
Upvote
>>
File: cafe-reconcile.jpg (33 KB, 550x309) Image search: [Google]
cafe-reconcile.jpg
33 KB, 550x309
To put it simply, American food follows a Germanic/Anglo template. Stuff like this is fairly common. There is some regional variation, but less so than say China or Italy. You can get good ethnic food. We have a lot of immigrants.
>>
Tons, TONS of corn. Avoid the shit out of it.

Celery, carrots, potatoes, radishes, broccoli, cauliflower.

Traditional American cuisine is a very strange animal.

I could give you recipes that came before WW2. Which brought on the cuisine dark ages but we've always known how to cook.

My mom's minestrone is a knockout. I can cook it but she's the only one that has it written down. I just do it naturally from watching her.
>>
>>7539288

We'd have time to argue over it if our country wasn't so young.

That looks...kind of wrong to me for example (in your picture).
>>
>>7539260
It's an entirely arbitrary distinction though. Discrete discontinuities are in a different category from contiguous sections.

If you look at a ruler, there's a first centimetre, and a marking on either side of it. One is the first "start of a centimetre" marking, and the other is the first "end of a centimetre" marking. Which one of those is the "first" marker on the ruler? I'd agree with you that it's the "start" marker.

The thing is, the first "end" marker is also the second "start" marker, right? But the first starting marker also marks out the end of the centimetre before it, it's the end marker of "the centimetre before the first one", or the zeroth end marker.

It's about whether you refer to segments by their origin or their whole. Anyway, this is interesting but I think we should take it to /sci/ if you care to go on.
>>
>>7539346
i don't see a good reason to refer to them by anything other than their whole, it's what they are

the first century is the century itself, not its starting moment
>>
>>7537574
I guess Jack is a segment of the population in the US that fits the fat dumber than Homer Simpson stereotype. Jack's cooking show belongs in the future world of Idiocracy, he's a freak, an anomaly. I can picture ignorant welfare recipients cooking in this moronic way on a daily basis and not even thinking twice about it.
>>
File: 1459224272392.jpg (193 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1459224272392.jpg
193 KB, 500x500
Lard and salt

Burgers
>>
File: 9hmNJ3L.png (221 KB, 800x485) Image search: [Google]
9hmNJ3L.png
221 KB, 800x485
>>7537574
What the actual fuck is that supposed to be in the webm
>>
>>7539288
looks good
>>
>>7532618

>Grains/Nuts/Seeds
Corn
Beans
Wild Rice
Acorns
Pecans
Sunflower
Little Barley
Maygrass
Sumpweed

>Vegetables
Corn
Potatoes
Peppers
Tomatoes
Squash
Ramps
Wild Ginger
Miner's Lettuce

>Fruits
Cranberries
Blackberries
Raspberries
Blueberries
Juniper Berries
Muscadine
Pawpaws
Cactus Pears
American Persimmons
Chockecherries

>Meat
Buffalo
Turkey
Fish
Deer
Rabbit
Raccoon
Squirrel
>>
>>7532671
That looks like the baby from Eraserhead
>>
>spices
Salt
If you're lucky, black pepper and garlic
>meat
Ground beef and chicken breast are the staple meats. Other parts of beef, pork, chicken may be used
>veg
Onions, potatoes, carrots, celery, iceberg lettuce, no flavor tomatoes
>>
>>7533633

>god-tier

Deep fried raviolis and roast beef hoagies are about as plebeian as it gets, and they are both inferior to empanadas and philly cheese steaks.

FFS you guys have so much beef and other food out there, why hasn't the midwest developed a real cuisine other than deep frying, burgers, and plastic cheese?
>>
>>7537524
I've never been to the US: the post
>>
>>7532642
>boudain
texas fag confirmed

It's boudin.
Thread replies: 190
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.