[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone ever had real moonshine? Not the stuff you buy in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 10
File: Snapchat-6089367910331500459.jpg (572 KB, 1440x2392) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-6089367910331500459.jpg
572 KB, 1440x2392
Has anyone ever had real moonshine? Not the stuff you buy in the store

I was given a jar of it by my cousin who was visiting her friend in North Carolina

Haven't tried it yet.
>>
>>7532543
why do you keep a jar of piss next to your bed?
>>
>>7532543
U got anymore of that stuff
>>
>>7532547
don't pissjar shame
>>
>>7532543
U know if u add yeast u have piss wine probably wouldn't taste good. But if u wanna make beer with ur piss right
>>
>>7532518
>Has anyone ever had real moonshine?
Yeah, I imagine a lot of people have had it before.
>>
File: where do you think we are.jpg (99 KB, 944x712) Image search: [Google]
where do you think we are.jpg
99 KB, 944x712
>>7532547
>>
>>7532518
Its tastes crappy, isnt isnt stronger than your standard cheap grain alcohol, and is inherently dangerous because of methanol contamination.

Its a meme
>>
>>7532593
You really are clueless.
>>
>>7532518
Yes, but from Eastern Europe where my father did a lot of business. He used to come home with a lot of shady water bottles. Best I had was homemade Albanian raki, it was like top tier grappa but 60% abv or more. I only had about two liters but I still miss it from time to time years later.
>>
>>7532518
I've had some homemade apple cinnamon liquor, not exactly hard stuff but it was tasty.
>>
>>7532518
I had some apple pie moonshine from a friend who has relatives in north carolina. tasted pretty good actually and wasn't too strong.
>>
Moonshine is illegal you hick.
>>
Bought some from my boss in college once.

$20 for a pint. Tasted like unaged whiskey, which it was.

Neat to try, wouldn't buy it again
>>
One of my friend's fraternity brothers decided to distill a batch. It tasted like pure yeast.
>>
>>7532518
I have. I live in an area where it is made all the time. I like it super cold or warmed to about 98F but only warm if it is really smooth stuff with little aftertaste.

>>7532593
>methanol contamination

That only happens when people purposely add methanol to it or use industrial alcohol which contains methanol. Or, they are making grappa and have no clue how to do it properly nor have proper equipment.

Drinking shitty moonshine that is improperly made, that isn't a improperly made grappa, and hasn't been purposely adulterated with added methanol, won't have enough methanol in it to harm you. You'd have to drink so much that you'd die of ethanol poisoning long before the methanol even had an effect.

>Its tastes crappy

Some do and some don't. It is better to age it, but then the instant you age it, it is no longer moonshine.

>isnt isnt stronger than your standard cheap grain alcohol,

That depends on the method of distilling and how many times its been distilled. It is no less than 95%ABV, when done properly.

>>7532834
It isn't. You can make about 200 gallons a year for your own consumption without a license so long as you don't give it to anyone or sell it.
>>
>>7532593
Distillation does not make methanol. The total proportion of methyl to ethyl will be the same as in wine. The danger is the methyl becoming concentrated in one place and consumed all at once.
>>
>>7533092
>200 gallons a year
I would be interested to take someone who doesn't drink and test what would happen if they drank 200 gallons of moonshine over a course of the year
>>
File: optical-illusions.jpg (59 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
optical-illusions.jpg
59 KB, 400x400
>>7533112
>0.56 gallon of 190 proof per day
>>
File: apple pie.jpg (79 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
apple pie.jpg
79 KB, 1024x768
>>7532518

Seven years ago, past the statute of limitations, a person I knew built a still in his/her garage using parts from Home Depot and used apple wine for the mash. S/he created 160 proof apple eau de vie that was rough going down but still a very safe product. S/He used it to make apple pie moonshine by combining it with apple juice, apple sauce, brown sugar, and cinnamon, and its taste was comparable to french kissing an angel and the taste of alcohol was barely noticeable. S/He dismantled the still after the first batch when their dad got pissed over the felony occurring in his garage. That person I knew was not me, was not related to me, nor were they a close acquaintance.
>>
File: full_31759[1].jpg (53 KB, 390x392) Image search: [Google]
full_31759[1].jpg
53 KB, 390x392
>>7533092

>It isn't. You can make about 200 gallons a year for your own consumption without a license so long as you don't give it to anyone or sell it.

Completely wrong, see http://www.ttb.gov/spirits/home-distilling.shtml

Cops and federal agents will absolutely try to throw you in the pen if you try to operate even a small unlicensed still, and they'd be more than happy to stop busting pot farms for a day to have a moonshine bust for nostalgia's sake.
>>
>>7533353
your location has been triangulated
DEA is en route kid. youre fuck
>>
>>7533353
I backtraced your id, and now you're gonna get fucko'd.
>>
>>7532518
Yes. It's every bit as vile as you'd think but also has quite the effect.
>>
Twice. First was in college, a friend of mine had white lightning. On command, his roommate could chug that shit. To demonstrate, she drank about 10% of a jar in one go before he told her to quit, or she'd just keep drinking it. Apparently she was also capable and willing to drink commercial-brand hot sauce like a beverage. I had a small shot and got fucking rekt.

Second time was with a friend of mine who stole it from the cabinet of another friend of mine's dad (a massive, bible-thumping, hyper Redneck, in revenge for some perceived insult or slight I've long forgotten. Quite possibly the strongest, most foul-tasting substance I've ever put in my body. I took one shot and was floored. Got sick the next morning and blew chunks in front of their neighbor's apartment.
>>
I had a friend in the Air Force from the hills of Kentucky. He'd bring a few jars back every christmas. It lights your entire mouth and throat on fire, but in a good way. I wouldn't suggest getting drunk on it, however. I made that mistake once, and I lost my color vision for three days. Still, an experience worth having.
>>
>>7533353
BRUH, my friend's mom makes this. She just used everclear and cooked it all down together in a crockpot. It tasted amazing.
>>
>>7533353
4chan is an anonymous board, you idiot.
>>
>Untaxed liquor tastes much better
>>
>>7533092
>You can make about 200 gallons a year for your own consumption without a license
Sure, if you live in New Zealand.
In the US it's illegal as fuck.
>>
>>7533371
>United States

kek fucking Idiot
>>
>>7532518
If you got legit moonshine, it's going to be anywhere from 80-90% alcohol. It's going to be pretty tasteless too, like an exceptionally strong vodka. Kicks like a mule though, drink it either mixed or in small shots.

If you got cheap shit made by inexperienced rednecks it could poison you. The stuff in your picture looks pretty okay though. Granted it's hard to tell. I'd drink it cautiously unless your cousin can vouch for the quality.

There's recently been a lot of legal moonshine being produced by professional distilleries. This stuff is good, but its nowhere near as strong as real illegal moonshine(only around 45-50% alcohol) and most of the time it's flavored. Flavored illegal moonshine does exist though, and is delicious.
>>
>>7534674

Well you used Fahrenheit so I took it you were American.

You can fuck right off with that attitude.
>>
>>7532518
Had some apple moonshine when I went to a family reunion in South Carolina. It was strong but extremely good. I haven't had straight white lightning before though.
>>
>>7534673

There are states where you can legally make your own alcohol as long as you aren't selling it. I know Missouri allows you to do this. Their liquor laws are pretty lax because Anheuser Busch is headquartered there.
>>
>>7532518
they make it around me in south jersey. ive never tried it, but my coworker has. big kick she says, dunno if she ever said if she prefers it over other liquor

and again she enjoys nasty ass fireball, so it probably cant be too good
>>
>>7535419
i like to think this is one of the reasons people hate us. i have to kiss ass extra hard when i travel to try and defeat the arrogant US stereotype.
>>
>>7532807
>top tier grappa
>not 80%+
>>
I grew up in KY and there was always some present at parties in high school, a lot easier to get a hold of than beer or other liquor sometimes when you're a kid and live in a dry county.

I can't stand to drink it but people like to put fruits in with it, which you can still eat to get fucked up.
>>
>>7535557
>moonshine cherries

Literally GOAT
>>
>>7535447
Brewing yes, distilling no. It is illegal to distill any amount of alcohol in America.

Source: I work at a distillery
>>
>>7532593
Methanol contamination mostly occurred during prohibition, mostly from government agents purposely poisoning bootleg alcohol to discredit it.
>>
>>7532518
My dad made the stuff. I dunno if he stilll does, he's paranoid about it.
His moonshine straight from the still (during the mids) was at least 150 proof. We would let some drip on our fingers and taste. Almost no burn relatively. Sweetish aftertaste. He' made Apple pie with it a lot(cinnamon and Apple) and cut it to 80 proof. With a few Apple slices and a real cinnamon stick. The stuff is dangerously smooth and tasty.
>>
>>7532593
All you gotta do is throw out the first few ounces. I always threw out twice as much as required out of fear lol
>>
Twice:

One time the mother of a girl I went to high school with made a batch of potato mash in their bathtub somehow. Tasted like straight fire in your mouth and caused me to blackout almost instanteously.

Second time I had apple pie moonshine which was delicious and I could barely taste the alcohol. I also blacked out
>>
>>7536412
my friend does it though
>>
Yes, I'd honestly rather pay for some decent grain Vodka. Something about corn liquor gives me a nasty hangover.
>>
>>7536623
Well your friend is breaking the law. Hope he keeps that under wraps.
>>
>>7532593
LOLNO
>>
>>7533112
>>7533253
They'd probably die, American back in the 19th century used to drink 7 gallons of pure alchohol a year. Now a days Americans only drink about 2 gallons of pure alchohol a year.
>>
>>7536735
Forgot link
>http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31741615
>>
in NC we had this thing called PeeJay and it was fruit soaked in moonshine. it won't too bad.
>>
>>7536735
Who the fuck drinks pure alcohol
>>
File: lumberjill.jpg (35 KB, 450x675) Image search: [Google]
lumberjill.jpg
35 KB, 450x675
>>7537065
It means that the total alcohol content of beverages consumed equated to that much pure alcohol, obviously.
>>
>>7532518
Yeah....it's pretty harsh, IMO.
I had it once, when I went to see my uncle at his office, and he had a jar of it sitting on his desk. He'd brought it back from a hunting trip, the host who gave it to him also made it. Anyway, he always likes to make me drink with him, so he cracked it open and we both drank some. It was like liquid fire and twice as strong. If you have ever seen the Parks and Rec episode where Ron Swanson's mother, his ex wife, and Leslie have a moonshine drinking contest, it was kind of like that, except we weren't really trying to out drink each other. And, I felt like pure shit later. I can still remember, after all these years, how fucking bad I felt.
>>
>>7535561
I had those once from the same cousins source. Fuggin love those. I used to eat them at work kek
>>
>>7536808
Why do you guys call it that?
>>
Real moonshine is usually pretty smooth, don't drink it out of the jar or you can very easily get shitfaced without intending to.
>>
File: Snapchat-1779502782448534058.jpg (623 KB, 1440x2392) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-1779502782448534058.jpg
623 KB, 1440x2392
Just took a sip

Burned a little but not harsh. Warmed me up a lot. I'll probably drink some more tonight
>>
I had chinese moonshine my friends mom made

Fuckin milk jug with a bunch of !s on it
>>
>>7537632
How many yen was that
>>
I remember when I tried to make Lilac cordial and ended up with over 40% proof alcohol.

The other time I made Elderbloom hard cider was good too.
>>
>>7533483
>Literally getting blind drunk
Onya cunt
>>
When I was visiting my dad in Hanoi we went and saw his mates, this real cute family that owned a hole in the wall restaurant, we ate a fuckload of great obscure cuisine and drank this ricewine that they made, was delicious. Very different to Japanese sake, was far more nutty and had on the rocks. Really nice for sipping
>>
>>7537637
Â¥4355 in Osaka
>>
>>7533105
>>7533105
>Distillation does not make methanol.
You're wrong here. The first few ounces of moonshine are mostly methanol alcohol commonly referred to as the "denaturants" and this is the reason "denatured alcohol" cannot be consumed. If you do not discard this initial methanol you WILL have poisoned moonshine. I used to think the same, but then I actually looked it up.
>>
>>7537798
>mostly methanol alcohol commonly referred to as the "denaturants"

Jesus fuck you have no idea what you are talking about.

The first stuff to come out of the still is called the "heads". It only contains methanol if someone fucked up and fermented the wrong things to begin with.

A "denaturant" does not come from a still. It's something that was deliberately added to alcohol AFTER distillation in order to prevent people from drinking untaxed ethanol used for industrial purposes.
>>
>>7537813
>>7537813
>Jesus fuck you have no idea what you are talking about
No, I actually do you fucking idiot.
Your google-fu is EXTREMELY weak.

Why is Methanol A Concern for Moonshiners?

If wine contains methanol but doesn't pose a risk of methanol poisoning then why is it potentially dangerous to drink once distilled? The difference is that the methanol concentration in, say, 5 gallons of wine, is evenly distributed among the 5 gallons. For someone to ingest a potentially dangerous amount they would need to ingest more than 5 gallons....or 28 bottles!

During the distillation process methanol is concentrated at the start of the run because it has a lower boiling point than ethanol and water. The boiling point of methanol is approximately 148 degrees farenheit, which is quite a bit lower than ethanol (the good stuff). This means that methanol (148F boiling temp) will start to boil before the ethanol (174F boiling temp). This is why moonshiners always throw out the first bit of shine they produce from each run (more on this below).
>>
>>7537820
>No, I actually do you fucking idiot.

Really? Is that why you have no idea what a denaturant is?

Your "concentration" argument makes no sense either. The ratio of methanol to ethanol is unaffected by distillation. So even if we assume methanol were present, and that it gets concentrated by the still, that's irrrelevant because the ETHANOL is getting equally concentrated, and the result is that you drink less of it. In other words, if you were to drink an equal amount of Ethanol in either wine or distilled liquor, the amount of methanol you'd be consuming would be the same.

The main reason why the heads are discarded is simply because they taste bad.
>>
>>7537845
>because they taste bad.
Mainly because they're methanol.
>>
>>7537864
Methanol tastes a lot like ethanol does, except that it is sweeter. If it wasn't poisonous we'd drink it on purpose.

The bad tastes are cogeners, acetone, acetaldehydes, and all sorts of other low-boiling-point byproducts of the fermentation.
>>
>>7537845

That assumes you batch everything up at the end again. If start bottling while it's distilling the methanol will be concentrated.
>>
>>7537882
And so will the ethanol, at an equal rate. Which means that the ratio of ethanol to methanol is unchanged. Which means that it's no different than drinking the undistilled "wine"--assuming we're talking the same number of standard drinks consumed.

It's really no different than how one beer at 5% ABV contains the same amount of alcohol as a glass of wine or a "shot" of 40% ABV liquor. Yes, the liquor is higher concentration but you drink less of it. Same thing applies to the methanol concentration. A glass of wine and a shot of liquor would contain the same amount of alcohol (both kinds). The numbers work out the same because even though the liquor is higher ABV you drink less of it.
>>
I grew up in a fruit growing region where every other farmer was making moonshine. Some fruits, like apricots have a lot of flavor come through in the distillate, especially when pot stills are used
>>
>>7537899
You're not understanding the difference between distilling everything into one big container vs distilling into individual small containers one at a time.
>>
had some great shine when I was in college. Went to visit a good friend on Prince Edward Island, and her family farms potatoes on an industrial scale. They also drink on an industrial scale. I made the mistake of telling her dad that it was my birthday, and he promptly removed a very seedy mason jar from the freezer, and poured us each a solid half-tumbler of it. It tasted like nothing -- just less of a burn than I had expected, but after 2 of these, I was playing the piano and crying. Ended up sleeping in a barn, and taking the bus home the next morning completely hung-over and reeking of hay. I apparently gave all of her relatives my phone number via 'business cards' that I was making out of torn-up receipts.
>>
>>7533353
When I was in the Army one of my redneck friends taught me how to make Apple Pie Moonshine. It's been the only thing I've drank since then. Nowadays I make it with Everclear though because I don't want to make any proper moonshine.
>>
>>7532518
made a still with my brother when i was younger under the guise of exploring alternate fuel sources (ie making ethanol)

drank a little bit of it, still probably have mason jar left in my parent's garage.

tasted so disgusting and even after testing the abvand proofing it, the idea of going blind was too spoopy.
>>
>>7537813
Nope the first stuff to come out of the still is foreshots, and it is lighter alcohols and stuff like acetone and aldehydes. Then comes the heads, a lot of flavor and a lot of headaches and stomach upset. Then comes the body, the good shit. Then the tails, the gross nasty shit. So when you do your blend you put in all of the body a little heads for flavor and none of the tails. Your tails and the rest of the heads go in your feints container for future runs. The foreshots get put in a separate container and used in the shop for cleaning and whatnot.
>>7537820
Methanol is not a concern for moonshiners. Ethanol is the antidote for methanol poisoning. All liquor has methanol in it.
>>
Had some a few years ago. It was quite potent. I imagine stronger than everclear.
>>
>>7534665
This is the sole reason to drink moonshine.
>>
anyone try devil's daughter moonshine? not sure if it will be smooth as hell like onyx
>>
You fucking bastards

Is there a way to get some in commiefornia. A friend of a friend wants to know
>>
>>7542449
make it or find someone who makes it

or buy some from the liquor store
>>
>>7540309
>under the guise of exploring alternate fuel sources
lel. My cousin did that in his mom's garage when he was 16. I'm surprised he never went blind or burned the garage down. But he did use it as a fuel and solvent too
>>
File: wilford bourbon inspection2.jpg (234 KB, 1705x959) Image search: [Google]
wilford bourbon inspection2.jpg
234 KB, 1705x959
>>7532518
Yeah. It was pretty good. Nice and oily, and not too sharp either, considering it was shine straight from the 'shine.

Not as good as aged corn/corn-based whiskey, but then again, it was free and tasty, as opposed to the laughably overpriced "white whiskey" sold in stores.

Drink it and see how it is.
>>
>>7532518

i am from northcarolina and lived with a guy who sold it. he would cut the shit out of it with water and basically print money.

there is a way to test the proof of it by shaking it and looking at the bubbles. you can buy stronger shit in the liquor store its pretty much just a meme and you are supporting some useless alcoholic redneck who probably cut it with a bunch of water
>>
>>7542449
Make it, it's simple as fucking piss. Rigged ours out of a coil, a steel pot, some brass pipe, half a culligan jug, and a hot plate indoors.
>>
It tastes like liquid fire. It's just everclear, but even harsher.
>>
File: 1.jpg (107 KB, 700x507) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
107 KB, 700x507
>>7543516

you can literally do it in your kitchen
>>
File: MOflag.jpg (70 KB, 380x380) Image search: [Google]
MOflag.jpg
70 KB, 380x380
I live on the edge of STL metro where things start getting really rural.

Everyone out here has a still. It's technically illegal at the federal level, but it's never enforced. Liquor laws are loose all around here. I didn't drink too much shine growing up because the gas stations started selling me beer at 14.

Shiners only get busted when they sell to the wrong person. Lots of people here sell but it's strictly a friends & family thing.
>>
>>7532518
haven't had anything else but my own
>>
>>7543523
That looks like a terrible idea. Especially if you like living in a house that isn't on fire and covered in flammable liquid
>>
>>7533353
>S/he

This term, they, works great you know...
>>
too much of it
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.