[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bear Burger
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
A buddy of mine who skins hunted animals for a living just came by and dropped off a cooler full of game meat, most of it moose and deer, but among it was some bear burger. I have never cooked with ground bear meat before, and am wondering what exactly I should do with it. I could make burgers, but bear meat isn't something I come across often, so I'd prefer to do something more special. Any thoughts /ck/?
>>
what kind of bear is it?
>>
>>7531595
Black bear I believe.
>>
>>7531618
>eating the nigger of bears
>>
>>7531577
I've never cooked with bear personally but if it were me, I'd avoid burgers. IMHO burgers are only good when medium rare, and that's not a risk I would take with wild game meat, especially bear.

If you are going to make burgers I'd certainly mix in some pork as that meat looks lean as fuck so it's going to make some dry, mealy burgers.
>>
Bear tastes rather rank, and you are best off eating it in a pie or curry or some other thing.
>>
>>7531624
This, bear is notorious for have trichinosis parasites, so you'll want to cook it well done.

I've heard bear sausage tackles the gaminess of the meat very well.
>>
>>7531577
I've had bear once. Literally the best burger I ever had as far as meat goes. We bbq it that night. Needed no sauce. Very marbled from what I remember
>>
>>7531631

Actually, well done isn't needed to be safe from trichinosis. Even a solid "medium" is hot enough to kill the parasite.
>>
>>7531656
I Dont get how y'all have no issue taking that risk
>>
>>7531680

Because we've known for decades exactly what time/temperature is needed to kill the parasite. Check temp with a meat thermometer and you're A-OK.

The risk of you getting hurt or dying in a car accident is far higher yet I bet you still ride in cars, right?
>>
>>7531680
Because well done meat is comparable to tire rubber. But, given my inexperience with ground bear, I'd rather overcook it a little than undercook I suppose.
>>
burgers out of any of that meat is awesome. have had lots. Sausages are good but you need a grinder setup and usually you will put in some pork butt for added flavor, texture, and moisture. Bear tacos man. Bear tacos.

Bear steak is amazing. also, captcha select pics of steak. kek
>>
>>7531702
I probably have about 20 pounds of bear steak in the freezer, but finding ground bear is impossible for some reason. Just made some bear steak tips earlier actually.
>>
I'm from a family that hunts and fishes a lot. I've had black bear a few times. Personally, I'm not that big of a fan of it. You're much better off with the moose/deer or whatever else you said. If you're going to make burgers, I'd mix it with beef. Maybe a 75/25 bear/cow ratio.
>>
Make chili, be sure to save the fat for frying.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.