[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Australia food winge thread why is all out food so fucking expensive?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 9
File: index.png (3 KB, 318x159) Image search: [Google]
index.png
3 KB, 318x159
Australia food winge thread

why is all out food so fucking expensive?
why have discount supermarket chains like ALDI gained a foothold yet?
why is out supermarket bread made of air, sucrose and preservatives?
why is alcohol taxed at 30%
>>
The price of meat really pisses me off.

There is basically no cut of red meat that regularly costs less than $10 a kilo any more.
>>
>>7530401
It's a little expensive, but not as high as whingers make out.
Aldi's relative cheapness is a myth.
Sucrose? I'm starting to doubt you've even been to Australia.
Because raising alcohol prices does not stop Australians from buying it.
>>
>>7530410
Their cornetto knock offs are really good
>>
Has anyone tried any of the new Weet-Bix varieties?

I meant to buy some to try but forgot.
>>
>>7530409
and the quality of chicken in particular has decreased significantly, it lacks any meaningful flavour
I kept my own chickens and it's like eating two different kinds of meat

also the price of meat "seconds" like liver, kneck, caul, etc has jumped sharply.

>>7530410
it's so expensive compared to overseas, especially the price of fresh vegetables
our supermarkets are super picky and that waste is engineered to drive up prices
you can't buy "saucing tommatoes" anymore, and that's literally a quarter of tomatoes that never make it to the consumer

aldi IS cheaper by a long way when buying frozen or imported goods, often not "cheap" things, just things shipped from overseas
and aldi isn't half as cheap here as it is in other countries

our bread depending on where you shop has additives to help it rise, sucrose to help it rise and become sweet (because the yeast often can't work well with poor quality flour)
it also seems cheap, but it is all air; by weight it's nothing, you can press a whole loaf down into a cube
>>
If I have a $20 budget for the week, Aldi does reign supreme for junk food... Noodles, chips, $3 pizzas etc
>>
>>7530424
>meat "seconds"
They used to practically give things like lamb shanks away but now they are $16 a kilo. Even organ meat costs as much as prime steak.

I don't know what happened.
>>
>>7530429
people realised how good lamb shanks are ages ago
offcuts and offal followed, but the latter still isn't carried in any appreciable quantity by supermarkets and is really only the realm of butchers, and even then not a huge number
>>
>>7530442
and so many butchers litterally know fuck all about meat

mine gets liver in sealed bags and it's expensive, years ago my grandma would buy it for her cat because it was cheap

I asked one butcher for stock bones "sorry we don't get them from the abotoire"

and the fat content of mince has increased noticeably
>>
I brew my own beer , $50 for ingredients and get 2.5 slabs per brew. If you're in a city shop where the old wogs shop for vegetables and fruit, we get a box that's lasts a week for $20.
At woolies in the morning they put out the discounted meat, stock up and freeze.
If not get a better job and stop complaining, or start getting used to 2 minute noodles.
>>
>>7530448
Try buying a ham hock for a tasty winter pea and ham soup.
It used to cost cents, or be free. Now they're more expensive than the meat that's cut from them.
>>
>>7530424
>eating chicken
>in 2016
Honestly bro, the shit they call chicken these days is a genetic mutation. Do yourself a favor and stop eating that rubbish, otherwise enjoy your moods and mood changes from the amount of estrogen and other crap that is in that thing.
>>
>>7530457
I love the italian grocers, real bastion of food knowledge
good wine, cheap vegetables, smallgoods that are actually good

I tried brewing my own beer but it tasted like shite haha
did have success with elderberry wine though
next time I'l just make hungarian palinka from plums

>>7530460
I get mine after christmas and freeze them
>>
>>7530470
That's actually a really good idea that has always passed me by.
Kudos anon, thanks for the idea.
>>
>>7530467
I've given up chicken because I just couldn't eat it anymore, it almost made me want to throw up. I didn't know if it was that my tastes changed or the quality of the chicken did, but I guess it's the latter. Got any good alternatives?
>>
>>7530470
Yeah brewing beer takes practice, the mangrove jacks kits are pretty basic and have good results. As a backup I've got a Dan Murphy's card so if you don't mind commercial beers they usually have a special with $10 per six pack with half decent beer. My wine collection is from using Flybuys points, I just order 6 or 12 at a time when I've got enough accumulated, sure it's not a $40 bottle but some of them are pretty good.
>>
I do all my fresh fruit and veg shopping at a local Asian market, shits all over Coles and Woolies in price, but the quality can sometimes be a little lower, it just doesn't last as long in the fridge. But the big 2 can get fucked if they think I'm going to pay $2.50 for a bunch of bok choy when it's only 69c at the markets.

Find a good butcher where rent is low, ie. Not at your local shopping centre, the quality and prices are much better.

For 2 people in our house we spend a relatively low about each week and we don't buy processed frozen shit, apart from frozen beans/brocolli

A lot of your food bill has to do with what you buy
>>
>>7530472
no worries mate

>>7530480
it just seems like such a clinical operation, I'm not sure how you get better at it

>>7530482
good on you anon, great work
>>
>>7530482
>A lot of your food bill has to do with what you buy

what cunt? anyway who else is stoked about HJs thick cut fries now? i know im fucking not because theres nothing better than shoving a handful of soft soggy HJs chips in your mouth. get fucked cunts
>>
>>7530528
Mate, Mangrove Jacks Craft series (its a malt extract they have all sorts, IPA, stout ect, and it comes with the yeast), and 1 kg of dextrose,
Pour extract into fermenter, pour in 3 litres of boiling water, dump in dextrose stir, top up with 20 liters cold water, leave it outside over night for it to cool, pitch yeast when its between 16-25 degrees, wait 10 days, bottle wait 2 weeks and drink. Once you get into extract you'll progress to partial and all grain brewing, home brew is far better than the big commercial beers and cheaper too, but if you CBF to put in the labour you're better off just buying a slab from your local .
>>
>>7530545
If you buy frozen tendies from Coles and a bunch of other processed sub par garbage expect your food to cost a lot.

If you buy fresh produce and prepare your own food at home it's much cheaper and healthier, no preservatives and shit
>>
>>7530545
I don't understand your poor English, sorry. Perhaps you could repost it for me on a PC instead of PS4 controller?
>>
>>7530401
the questions to be asked are

1)why is all our meat so expensivve and difficult to get certain cuts of
2)why is australian beef cheaper in japan
3)will we ever get a proper cuiisine?

Seriously we got nothing honestly.
>>
File: 1431568212419.gif (2 MB, 219x186) Image search: [Google]
1431568212419.gif
2 MB, 219x186
>>7530559
>>
>>7530448
My country butcher back home does a lot of slaughtering himself. I'm living in Hobart at the moment and there's a lot of small grocers and butchers around, maybe I'll get lucky here at some point.
>>
>>7530566
it's cheaper in vietnam too, even when the exchange rate is factored out

and that' even wierder because it's high quality over there

I think capitalism fucked us
>>
>>7530474
You could start by eating all the rabbits infesting your hellhole of a landmass.
>>
>>7530568
man, he's gained weight since then
>>
>>7530545
>look at me
>I posted the word cunt in an Aussie thread
>I'm hard hard as fuck
>my body is so toned eating Hungry Jacks
>the ladies love me
>the lads fear me
>my fedora is made of BHP steel
>>
>>7530598
I'm trying to get
1. cross sawn beef shoulder/hip bones for stock (great gelatin content)
2. caul fat for terrines because it allows you to avoid expensive ad overly salty bacon or proccuto wrapping
3. fresh chicken liver for pate (often I think they only get it into butchers every other day)

>>7530611
I wonder what he actually eats
he could have anything, so it would be interested to see
maybe he just eats 10 weat bix every morning and a large meatlovers for dinner
>>
>>7530566
Australian butchers need to be trained to American standards, would make life a lot easier.
>>
>>7530616
> chicken liver,
Why would you bother?
>>
>>7530614
Saved for future threads.
This embodies the 'trying too hard to be an ocka bogan hardcore Aussie' meme.
1 in 1000 people speak this derogatory form of English.
>>
>>7530623
I really like pate
have it on my toast every morning when I can

just sherry, thyme, salt and liver

a consideration though is the health impact, it is super high in cholesterol and is harmful to pregnant women and people with shit kidneys
but it's got a lot of vitamins and minerals

so it's good to only eat it when you don't plan on having high fat meals
>>
>>7530628
>mfw bendigo
>that is how people talk
>mfw I have an IQ and talk like that ironicaly so people don't think I'm a prick
>>
>>7530640
Ha-ha, you speak fine.
I was talking with retrospect to this retarded specimen: >>7530545
>>
discovered passata a few weeks ago it's just a pure tomato puree but it seems to be better quality tomatoes than you get in a tin, with the added bonus of providing large matching jars

I make the passata into a tomato base sauce (get a small bay tree guys), then put it right back into the bottles that came with the passata in the first place

so I started making pizza, and quickly discovered passata makes a better base than acidic tomato paste
I just go salami, basil, boconchini and a little parmesan. home made pizza bases are better by a long way, but to save time you can get turkish flatbread or pita (don't be using the frozen bread bases)

the piza is done in 15 minuets from starting, and is actually healthy
but I found that the oconccini is costing four times as much as all the other ingrdiants put together, so I looked it up

fuck me, turns out you can make it at home with just milk, acid and renet; much easier than hard cheese
and it takes 30 minuit and stores for a week, literally 30 minutes
going to try this recipie and see if it works with the microwave
http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-homemade-mozzarella-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-174355

will post results
>>
>>7530634
Fair enough, it just strikes me as odd because its an 80, 90s dinner party impressor. I'm not to keen on chicken given the amounts of chemicals they take on before hitting the plate so hopefully you've sourced some decent quality.
The taste of c pâté I don't mind but only in small doses.
>>
>>7530656
Have you even tried aspic?
>>
>>7530644
>you speak fine
*involuntary teeth grating*

>>7530656
I only eat it because I like pastoral french/italian cuisine, I find it pragmatic and economical

nobody likes our pumped up chickens, but it's hard to avoid
we have done very well keeping our own chickens for eggs, but it's not practical keeping them for meat
our eggs are something else though, the birds forage in the compost and get food scraps, and we also add ground up egg-shell to their feed
the protein content of them is so high you can break supermarket eggs using one of ours as a hammer, and the white is gelatinous (bad for whisking or cakes)

>>7530659
now THAT is a 80's dinner party piece
my senpai had enough of that back in britain, still common in eastern europe though
>>
>>7530659
Nah not into meat jelly that short of stuff grosses me out. Ill eat red meat mate once or twice a week other than that its vegetarian, fish every 2 weeks. I spose your going to tell me I'm missing out on something?
>>
>>7530614
>>7530628
>le 'saying cunt is just a meme' meme
>>
>>7530668
Aspic is an 80s dinner party piece?? I thought it was 50s.
>>
>>7530678
yes, you're right
it is well before my time, I always thought aspic was just the poor/lazy/stupid persons terrine
>>
>>7530566
Australian beef is cheaper in Indonesia as well. They sell it for about $10/kg there and it's classified as expensive for the majority.

I put my bets on that the good shit goes overseas too and we're left with the scraps at 3 times the price.
>>
>>7530706
I gave this some thought actually

I Suspect it's because meat producers in Australia have a monopoly here, whereas competition in asia drives down prices
and there are lower costs in asia transporting meat even after the cattle is shipped live over there

so we might be charged more, but I doubt we loose quality

meat standards are awful in asia, beef in particular is often nasty
so it wouldn't take our best produce to dominate that market
>>
>>7530706

I think Australians are just happy to rip off other Australians. I don't think there is any other reason besides that.

Even then, I am considering going vegetarian just to avoid not paying for meat.
>>
>>7530735
its still cheaper in japan and korea though, where their standards are high
>>
>>7530747

Korea has hanoo beef. And Japan has wagyu.

Australian beef is just for the plebs there
>>
>>7530747
interesting

supermarkats engage in compensative pricing though
lowering the lost of some things to lure shoppers, then raisin the price of others
>>
>>7530756
yes and no. I can only speak for japan but australian beef is considered high quality. The orders basically local < australian standard < wagyu. And a lot of their wagyu is australian anyway.
>>
>beef
Eat pork or if you really want to get cheap roast cuts and slow cook them. steak is shit anyway
>>
>>7530772
>pork
Australia hasnt banned it yet?
>>
>>7530674
its a meme on the internet
>>
>>7530775
atcual;ly its an irl australian meme in the traditional sense
>>
>>7530735
There is a very small meat production industry in Indonesia, hence them relying on us to feed their 250 Mil+ population.

I agree with you though, we probably eat the same cows here that go overseas so quality isn't affected.

>>7530741
This is the real reason. They charge what they charge because they know we will pay it. It's bullshit, but no doubt the producers are laughing all the way to the bank.

>>7530747
Because it's a fucking good quality product and the animals are not fed government subsidised corn and hormones, it's muchly higher regarded than American beef
>>
>>7530774
its cheap to piss off the muslims cause they cant buy it.
>>
>>7530429
Chicken livers from woolies are 4 dollars a kilo, you fuckin' queen. Same as chicken gizzards. Beef heart is 6 a kilo. Fuck me shut up
>>
>>7530772
I'm a big fan of pork mince in gyoza
or hoy sin/char sui barbeque, served with rice and saricha or in fried rice
also in chinese soup

>>7530788
wollies huh?
I'l check again, the butcher I went to might just be taking the piss
>>
>>7530771

I've been to Korea multiple times, it is definitely different to Japan then. But Korea has only Hanoo which is the higher quality stuff for a higher price, and everything else is the standard australian that we get here at butchers or coles/woolies.

It is quite interesting I guess, that we're happy to pay such prices to our farmers while other countries can get away with cheaper prices.
>>
>>7530797
what is best korean barbeque?
>>
>>7530795
yea pork is great for Asian cooking

i seriously don't know how people like steak its plain and shit.

>>7530448
>fat content of mince has increased noticeably
worked in a butcher shop its just the off cuts older steak so its mainly fat
>>
>>7530809
as long as its not in korea its prolly good
>>
>>7530812
but isn't there a regulation about the fat content of mince?
or do they just ignore that?

so much fat comes out of the mince I get from the supermarket I'm going to start getting the boutique butcher to grind cuts for me, or failing that grinding my own
>>
>>7530809

Basically anything in my opinion. However eating on a Korean bbq st in Korea is the usually the best option.
>>
>>7530824
there is a limit but they always go to the limit
>>
>>7530809
that one in perth city sucks, id give it 6/10
>>
>>7530442
Worked Meat at woolies for ages, sold fuckloads of offal and offcuts.
>>
>>7530420
I can't stand Weet-Bix.

Yeah it's healthy but that goes out the window when you have to dump sugar on it to make it fucking edible.
>>
>>7530930
Is this the same thing sold as weetabix in the USA? I used to eat that sometimes as a kid, if it's the same thing then there is something terribly wrong with you. The flavor of grains on their own is appealing, maybe your parents blasted you with refined sugar from infancy but this is not normal. I feel kind of bad for you for growing up with a miscalibrated palate.
>>
File: Weet-Bix_575g.jpg (684 KB, 2048x1372) Image search: [Google]
Weet-Bix_575g.jpg
684 KB, 2048x1372
>>7530932
No just normal Weet-Bix. The real problem I had was that we never had money to buy bananas to go with it so we had to rely on sugar for flavour so by itself it tastes bland and shitty to me.

With fruit or sugar I love it, but without it's this disgusting soggy wheat paste.
>>
>>7530948
>wheat on its own tastes shitty
Yeah, that's what I mean by miscalibrated palate. Granulated cane sugar or fresh bananas, in either case if the taste of wheat is abhorrent to you without those, it seems your palate is horribly miscalibrated.
>>
File: Extreme rage Pepe.jpg (18 KB, 680x583) Image search: [Google]
Extreme rage Pepe.jpg
18 KB, 680x583
>>7530948
Fucking convict cunts, they are Weetabix!

They are Penguins too, not "Tim-tams".
>>
File: 1458396079778.jpg (41 KB, 400x422) Image search: [Google]
1458396079778.jpg
41 KB, 400x422
>>7530959
Well fuck man, anything I can do to fix it quick?
>>
>>7530965
>'Pengiuns'
>don't even look like penguins
Checkm8
>>
File: Sachiel_in_the_manga.png (101 KB, 362x417) Image search: [Google]
Sachiel_in_the_manga.png
101 KB, 362x417
>>7530965
LISTEN HERE YOU STUPID AMERICLAP.

YOU CAN TALK SHIT ALL YOU WANT, BUT IF YOU BRING TIM-TAMS INTO THIS I WILL BEAT YOUR FACE UNTIL IT LOOKS LIKE ONE OF YOUR PRECIOUS "PENGUINS"
>>
>>7530968
Go get a 50 gallon trash can. Rummage through your kitchen for jarred sauces and condiments, sugar or sugar substitutes including honey and your vile "golden syrup" that I know you aussies love. Same with juices, "made with real juice"s, "now with up to 10% real juice"s, drink mixes, flavour drops to dump into water to make it palatable, soda, and any other manchild things. Throw this in the trash and never buy any of it again. Stop eating fast food. Stop eating at restaurants unless they were personally approved by me, because they're going to be gross.

Throw it all in the trash and all of your food should consist of whole grains, complete vegetables, meats that you can tell what part of the animal it came from, and all flavoring comes from cooking processes such as browning, or salt. If it's not to your taste, consider that your taste is wrong, and eat it again until you liked it.
>>
>>7530980
>If it's not to your taste, consider that your taste is wrong, and eat it again until you liked it.
I fucking hate people like you.
>>
>>7530980
Nah, I'll just keep eating it with bananas and tone down the sugar a bit.
>>
>>7530971
And what the fuck is a tim-tam supposed to look like?
>>
>>7530976
>AMERICLAP
I have never been so insulted in all my life, fuck you Bruce.
>>
>>7530980
>Golden syrup
>Vile

The 13 colonies were a mistake.
>>
>>7530987
Wheatbix is naturally sweet
>>
>>7530982
not the guy you're replying to, but he's not too far off here.
>every opinion is valid and must be respected
meh. i can respect that you have an opinion, but not every opinion is worth having.

without clicking view all off the front page, i'm just gonna assume you're defending the white bread, fake juice, golden syrup and other stuff that really isn't all that good for you and say your opinion is wrong and you should consider listening to that anon's advice, as pretentious and assholish as it was
>>
>>7530980
>all flavoring comes from cooking processes such as browning, or salt.
jesus christ, are you one of those yokels from the midwest or appalachia or bumfuck nowhere that think herbs and spices are for sissy-boys and spics?
>>
>>7531434
>muh McCormick shit
>muh penzies
Little white girl, you should learn to maillard before trying to play with things your whitebread bubble didn't expose to you

Otherwise you might cry and complain you're allergic
>>
>>7531441
dial it back m8
you can't go full shitpost straight out the gate, you have to escalate
>>
What pisses me off is Cape Grim brisket is $13.50p/kg
$70-$80 for a point/end. And fuck that Grain Fed shite at Costco, the meat there is terrible.
>>
>>7531858
why does it have to be from the NW of tassie?
muh cleanest air in the world?
>>
>>7530401
Mates food in Aus is expensive, but on the positive side of things, Woolies and Coles both just reduced the price of their Roast chooks. $8 now, down from $10.

Which do you prefer?

Personally I think Coles does the better tasting bird. I can't eat the Woolies ones at all to be honest. Coles used to have a "regular-size" one that was smaller and cost less, but they have phased them out I think. That was the best tasting one of them all.
>>
File: hmmyess.gif (235 KB, 500x381) Image search: [Google]
hmmyess.gif
235 KB, 500x381
>>7530980
>Stop eating at restaurants unless they were personally approved by me, because they're going to be gross.
>>
>>7530401
What is good at the supermarket bakeries mates?

I sometimes see something that looks okay but then I think "It is made at a supermarket bakery so it will be shit".

But sometimes something they do tastes okay.
>>
>>7533580
Woolies choc chip cookies are pretty good but I only buy them if they're on special.
>>
>>7533580

The cookies imo. Get them on special though.
>>
File: 345435345345345.jpg (113 KB, 634x449) Image search: [Google]
345435345345345.jpg
113 KB, 634x449
Coles, Woolies, IGA or Aldi? Which is best?
>>
>>7533668
>IGA
I shop at IGA when I can, but they are not cheap.

I go there because they often have product lines that you don't see anywhere else. I like to try new things.

There is an Aldi opening near me soon. I have never been before but I will give it a try.

I hope Aldi isn;t cheap just because they have lots of foreign made stuff.

I don't eat anything that comes from third world countries.
>>
>>7533668
ALDI for everything packaged and some meat products and then markets for everything fresh.
>>
>>7530401
Because Australia is a nanny state.
>>
>>7533678
Aldi is shit because they don't have exactly two brands for most staples like real supermarkets do.
>>
>>7533681
That is the whole point of aldi mate.
>>
>>7533685
But I need my illusion of choice >:(
>>
the iga black & gold frozen lasagna is pretty good. 2.50 for a decent sized meal that tastes good,
>>
>>7533694
>frozen lasagna
I love lasagna but have never tried the frozen ones for obvious reasons. I mean they just have to be awful. I am surprised to hear someone praising one.

Are you a person of taste m8? A person who knows quality and good cuisine?
>>
anyone here like meat pies?
>>
>>7533717
>Are you a person of taste m8
of course m8. my favorite goon is stanley dolce bianco. zinger burger is the best burger and broccoli is not bad.
>>
>>7533723
steak and kidney is goat
>>
Bunch of whinging faggots in this thread.
Shop at a market
Eat smaller portions of meat
Drink less alcohol
Eat more vegetables
Get healthier
Lose weight
Be a better person and not an overweight, whinging, oppinionated, self centred bogan like 90% of the people in this country are.

Seriously, a couple kgs of meat a week is more than you need, I exercise every day and generally eat 150-200 grams of fresh meat including fish a day with atleast one vegetarian day a week.
>>
File: 1458140792398.png (318 KB, 667x606) Image search: [Google]
1458140792398.png
318 KB, 667x606
>>7533731
>>
>>7533734
I imagine thats everyone in this thread has a fat and pale sad excuse for a body that looks like this.
God damn Australia is full of losers.
>>
>>7533725
>stanley dolce bianco
Goes great in a plastic cup with a half dozen ice cubes m8. Your credentials check out.
>>
>>7533737
I wish I looked like that m8.
>>
>>7530653
holy shit you've gone from 0 to full wog in only a few weeks! congratulations, famiglia
>>
>>7531445
seems to be working out fine so far
Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.