[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anybody else cook with MSG? I started using it last year and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: msg-red-cup.jpg (35 KB, 680x380) Image search: [Google]
msg-red-cup.jpg
35 KB, 680x380
Anybody else cook with MSG? I started using it last year and it really does seem to improve my recipies while also lowering my sodium intake.

Also are any of you familiar with other nonspice additives that can produce a similar improvement in flavor?
>>
File: 42shop01.jpg (59 KB, 300x297) Image search: [Google]
42shop01.jpg
59 KB, 300x297
>>7530246
This is basically MSG.
I put it in scrambled eggs.
>>
File: 6922130101508.jpg (44 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
6922130101508.jpg
44 KB, 300x300
>>7530260
Also this.
>>
I bought pure MSG crystals to experiment with

the first thing that I found was that they amplify regular salt; it is about a third as salty as pure salt to begin with, but when paired with regular salt I think it's more than that
so when using it it's important to significantly reduce salt

the next thing I realised was that f you put too much into food it very quickly makes things taste funny and unpleasant
you really only have to add a teaspoon for a pound of meat, however vegetables can take twice that

I only add it to dumplings, soups without pork and heavy sauces regularly
still persevering with my experiments
>>
MSG is bad because it gets you to eat stuff that wouldn't taste good without it.

One time my mom mistook my jar of MSG for sugar and baked an apple crisp with it and tried eating some and got a headache. I don't understand how she made that mistake when it refracts light so much differently. It could have just as easily been salt. Dont make assumptions.
>>
I prefer the glutamates that already occur in whole foods such as tomatoes. The advantage is that they come with several nutrients.
>>
I use MSG in quite a lot of cooking, providing you don't use too much it does enhance flavour.
>>
>>7530292
that's just foolish

MSG is MSG, trying to get it from naturally occurring soures is just a waste of time, and means you can only use MSG when paired with the flavour of foods that contain it

it's like refusing to use pure sugar, and adding berry paste ro sweep potato to everything
>>
>>7530246
Basically anything that adds umami is good.

Worcestershire sauce, fish sauce, tomato paste and etc etc

I've been adding fish sauce into western cooking due to how much massively it improves things.
>>
>>7530246
>owering my sodium intake.

Isn't that what the "S" stands for?
>>
>>7530337
I actually don't use any refined sugar or non-whole foods. Just dates and bananas and such. It's not difficult.
>>
>>7530346
>MSG can be used to reduce the intake of sodium, which contributes to hypertension, heart disease, and stroke.[Gov. 5] With appropriate MSG use, salt can be reduced by 30 to 40% without a perceived reduction in saltiness.[5]

>The sodium content (in mass percent) of MSG, 12%, is about one-third of that in sodium chloride (39%), due to the greater mass of the glutamate counterion.[Manuf. 12] Although other salts of glutamate have been used in low-salt soups, they are less palatable than MSG.[Manuf. 13]
>>
File: tumblr_ma9pe9QUUf1ru44ono1_500.jpg (32 KB, 500x587) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ma9pe9QUUf1ru44ono1_500.jpg
32 KB, 500x587
>I actually don't use any refined sugar or non-whole foods. Just dates and bananas and such. It's not difficult.
>>
>>7530355
typical

I bet you believe all kinds of holistic bullshit and pseudoscience

msg is a sodium compound, but it has much less sodium than sodium chloride
>>
>>7530288
>salt is bad because it gets you to eat stuff that wouldn't taste good without it.
>spices are bad because it gets you to eat stuff that wouldn't taste good without it.

your logic
>>
>>7530362
I generally don't salt my food, just out of preference.
>>
>>7530366
oh well, I suppose if you don't like them that's fine

>>7530366
you're right anon, but there is the issue of over-saturation
if sugar/salt/fat/unami is too strong, you can't taste anything else after a while

after I realised just how many things had sugar added to them my palate improved noticeably after a few weeks
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.