[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the difference between pork belly and fatback? Besides,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: pork.jpg (5 KB, 341x245) Image search: [Google]
pork.jpg
5 KB, 341x245
What is the difference between pork belly and fatback? Besides, obviously, the location of the pig that they are taken from.

They look identical- like a slab of thick, streaky bacon. Can you sub one for the other?
>>
Pork belly is pretty fatty to begin with fat-back is even fattier. You can cook with it but it'll be a grease slick.

Personally I think you'd be better served using it for charcuterie, sausage making, or just rendering it for lard.
>>
>>7529083
But they're similar enough to use interchangeably then? I have some fatback that I was told could be used in place of pork belly for a recipe. I bought it on a whim because it was cheap enough. I know it'll be greasy, but I'll drain it and save the grease for late use.
>>
>>7529069
Yes, if you cure fatback it is called lardo. You can sub, it is very similar.
>>
>>7529128
Thanks, ano- Dustin Wang.
>>
>>7529069
>They look identical- like a slab of thick, streaky bacon

They shouldn't look the same at all.

Fatback is 100% fat.
Belly has layers: Skin, fat, and meat. (Though sometimes pork bellies are sold with the skin removed)
>>
>>7529122

If you're going to use it in place of pork belly and you're using slices, I'd trim some of the fat and save it for later or something.
>>
File: itisamystery.jpg (81 KB, 507x474) Image search: [Google]
itisamystery.jpg
81 KB, 507x474
>>7529157
You have a point. I've been googling it. Some images of fatback are all fat, but some look like pork belly.

Pic related is what I bought today... It looks more like pork belly, but was labeled as fatback. Maybe an error on their part?
>>
>>7529186
Perhaps there is is one of those situations where the exact meaning varies from place to place? But that being said, I have bought "fatback" countless times for making sausage, and it has always been 100% fat. That's been from a few different butchers across three states.
>>
File: actualfatback.jpg (52 KB, 600x441) Image search: [Google]
actualfatback.jpg
52 KB, 600x441
>>7529200
I trust your word for buying from actual butchers and not corporate supermarkets like I just did. I think they dun goofed.
>>
>>7529157
not really, it depends on how fat the pig was and the breed. A leaner hog can have some muscle in the fatback because it is smaller and the cap is not so thick.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.